Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlights down- how to repair headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA
Headlights down- how to repair headlight motor

Hello ! I have a 89 GTA. I believe the bushings in the headlight motor are dusted and want to change them out. However headlights are stuck in down position. This is making it difficult to remove the control arm to remove motor. Is there a way to raise the headlamp so I can get to arm?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Headlights down- how to repair headlight motor

I don't have a pic, but there is a **** you can turn to raise the lights. I put the brass gears in mine and haven't had any problems with them since.

Edit: The ****...

Last edited by TireSmokin'; 05-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Remove two bolts from the radiator support. Get under the front end and remove two bolts under the car from the radiator support. Lift the entire headlight assembly out the top, disconnect the wiring as you go. Difficulty level - 3 Easy
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by Drew
Remove two bolts from the radiator support. Get under the front end and remove two bolts under the car from the radiator support. Lift the entire headlight assembly out the top, disconnect the wiring as you go. Difficulty level - 3 Easy
I agree with Drew on removing the entire headlight bucket frame to do the repair. What he didn't tell you is it is easier if you first raise the headlight door. If the headlight door won't open by turning the manual ****, then it sounds as if you may have waited too long to do the repair. You have turned a one-man job into a 2-man job. Have someone sit in the car and press on and off the headlight switch while you bang on the headlight door, shake it side-to-side and curse. Eventually the headlight bucket will suddenly come up. Once you have the headlight door open remove the plastic trim surrounding the headlight, then remove the headlamp. You will now have easier access to the lower two mounting bolts. Be sure to mark the location of the frame of the headlight bucket frame before you remove it. Once you have it out and motor unplugged you can take it to the workbench to remove the crank arm and 3 bolts holding the motor to the frame. Use PB Blaster or AeroKroil and tap on the side cover screws on both headlight motor housings to help prevent snapping the head off those screws. For the LH or driver side you'll also need to remove the motor from the actuator so spray and tap on those 2 screws that mount the motor to the housing. In my kits I describe a few methods to hold the brushes retracted when you reinstall the motor. I sell several versions of repair kit for these 2-wire 87-92 Firebird headlight motors. TDS 207280 kit fixes one headlight actuator, TDS 209280 kit repairs a pair of these headlight actuators. www.top-downsolutions.com

Good luck,

Lon
Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 AM

Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM

Thanks for all your help! I got the headlight assemblies and headlight motors off and yes the plastic bushings were pulverized. Replaced them and headlights work great. I appreciate all the great feedback!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 AM

Car: '1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LH0 - V6 3.1
Transmission: TH700R4 automatic

Hello guys,

I had to repair the same on my Firebird but the motor looks quite different. Could not get out the white plastic gear, so I had to remove the two screws, holding the electric motor. This was necessary in order to get around the worm gear with this white plastic. Putting the motor back in with holding the two contact into their place was a pain in the A. There are two springs which move the contacts towards the shaft, and you have to hold them back while putting in the motor. Is there any trick to get around this? Many thanks for your help and Greetings from Germany.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Method One (aka the paperclip trick):
    • Unbend two small paper clips and clip the small end to form a hook as shown. These will be used as tools to help hold the brushes into their tracks as you install the motor shaft into the unit.
    • Push the springs and brushes back into their tracks. Note the orientation of the brush. The half moon shape must match up with the shaft of the motor. Hold the brushes flush into their tracks and grab onto the copper strand wire attached to it using the small hook of the paper clip. Pull the paper clip to hold the brushes in place against their springs.
    • Carefully slide the motor back into the housing. When it is within 1/8” of seating with the unit stop. At this point the brushes should be over the commutator (the copper colored part on the motor shown in figure 4).
    • CAUTION: If the motor shaft doesn’t slide in easily, then a brush has hung up. DO NOT FORCE IT, you will break a brush if you do. Instead, remove the motor and start over. The brushes must be held up in place against their springs for the motor to slide into the unit.
    • Un-hook the paper clips from the brush wire and rotate the paper clip to remove them. Continue sliding the motor into the housing.

Method Two (aka the string method):
    • Remove the two ¼ hex-head screws attaching the brush assembly to the motor body.
    • Remove the brush assembly from the motor.
    • Tie a piece of string tightly around the plastic brush assembly where the brushes are located. Slip the string aside and push the springs and brushes back into their tracks. Note the orientation of the brushes. The half moon shape must match up with the shaft of the motor. Hold the brushes flush into their tracks. Slide the string over the brush so it holds it retracted against the spring. Add a second long loop of string over the retracted brush. This extra loop of string is the one that will be holding the brushes during final assembly once you’ve cut and removed the first loop of string.

Last edited by lonsal; 05-14-2021 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added picture