Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Restoration/Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73
Restoration/Engine Swap

Just started dismantling my car after my engine blew. Ive decided to restore the car and do an engine swap while im at it. Just want it to be really nice and clean when im done. I am doing all the work myself and doing it over summers and breaks when im not at college.

Her is day 1
Attached Thumbnails Restoration/Engine Swap-day-1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Re: Restoration/Engine Swap

Day 2
Attached Thumbnails Restoration/Engine Swap-day-2.1.jpg   Restoration/Engine Swap-day-2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Day 3
Attached Thumbnails Restoration/Engine Swap-day-3.1.jpg   Restoration/Engine Swap-day-3.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM (sold), 87 IROC, 09 C6
Engine: Lt1 in IROC
Transmission: 5 speeds
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt tru tracker 3.42

looks like you got allot done in a short period of time! any rust on the car? looks good in the picts. What are you swapping in? LT-1's are nice!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hotrodln
looks like you got allot done in a short period of time! any rust on the car? looks good in the picts. What are you swapping in? LT-1's are nice!

Not sure what im swapping in yet. The car is surprisingly clean. Not much rust to speak of. I havent any spots of rust yet.

Im definitely wanting an LS1 or LT1, just not sure yet. I also want a T56 and 4th gen rear end.

You have an LT1 i see. Pretty happy with it? Youre running a 5 speed with it? Its not blowing the trans? Thanks for the input. And yeah it was a lot of work. Lol. Did it all by myself too.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Quite happy with the LT-1 . it's got to be one of the easiest engine swaps to do in these cars....lots of 305 parts are interchangeable with the Lt1- i got all the info i needed off of this site. It's a great resource! as for the t-5....it's been in there for about 6 years now....a few trips to the strip and LOTS of full throttle miles on road courses....no repairs, no problems at all. I think the folks who have trouble with them probably dump the clutch with sticky tires....if it ever blows i'll get a heavier duty 5 speed just to make sure it doesn't happen again. Make sure you label your parts and take lots of picts to help you put it back together....it will save you lots of time in the long run.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Looks good, take your time and have fun during the process. That's really what the hobby is all about!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Quite happy with the LT-1 . it's got to be one of the easiest engine swaps to do in these cars....lots of 305 parts are interchangeable with the Lt1- i got all the info i needed off of this site. It's a great resource! as for the t-5....it's been in there for about 6 years now....a few trips to the strip and LOTS of full throttle miles on road courses....no repairs, no problems at all. I think the folks who have trouble with them probably dump the clutch with sticky tires....if it ever blows i'll get a heavier duty 5 speed just to make sure it doesn't happen again. Make sure you label your parts and take lots of picts to help you put it back together....it will save you lots of time in the long run.
Dang. I have a WC T5 thats good to go. I was thinking LS1 but i might do an LT1 swap now. That seems like a much easier and cheaper way to go.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 AM

see if you can get a lt-1 from a corvette- the accessories are all on the drivers side and you don't need to "notch" the frame on the right side to clear the ac unit.it really was all bolt together...i could see someday changing to an LS engine for more hp, but i know it's gonna cost me allot to do it......
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM

see if you can get a lt-1 from a corvette- the accessories are all on the drivers side and you don't need to "notch" the frame on the right side to clear the ac unit.it really was all bolt together...i could see someday changing to an LS engine for more hp, but i know it's gonna cost me allot to do it......
Awesome. If i get an LT1 from a different vehicle that had no accessories on it could i put the corvette accessories on it?

Also, a guy wants to trade me a block and rotating assembly for my T5. Im thinking of doing it since i was gonna drop in a T56 anyways. Also since the engine is already apart, i could build it up some. What would be a good parts list to make around 350-400 RWHP with the LT1? This car will be my daily driver to. Id just like to make a good bit of power to mess with.

Thanks for the input and advice.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Also, on another note. Does anyone have any advice on how to sand my car down??? I want to sand it down and to the body work myself. So itll be another thing ill know how to do. Im all for learning. Haha. Also it gives me time to learn every nook and cranny of my car. literally. So how do i go about sanding it down? Im gonna eventually paint it black so itll need to be completely sanded. So what sand paper do i use, in what order to i use different grits. things like that. Also any tricks to bondo? Ill need to fix a few small dents and things.

Thanks for all youre help guys and gals.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by quadabaum
Awesome. If i get an LT1 from a different vehicle that had no accessories on it could i put the corvette accessories on it?

I suppose you could put the corvette accessories on it, but i'll bet it would cost more in the end to do that. as for more HP, they really seem to like a hotter cam and higher ratio rocker arms 1.6:1....
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM

. Does anyone have any advice on how to sand my car down???
There's plenty of advice on here for how to sand your car down, BUT as you've never done it before it would be better for you ( and your car) if you can find somebody local to mentor you on that one...it';s not all that hard, BUT it's allot of work and very easy to screw up...i've just been through this with a neighbor who took his 86 apart ....i had him do all the sanding and cleaning and i mixed and sprayed the paint...he got some hands on learning....which unfortunately can't be easily taught on the internet....why not finish your drivetrain and sign up for a course at a local community college...then you'll have access to a great paint booth!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM

I suppose you could put the corvette accessories on it, but i'll bet it would cost more in the end to do that. as for more HP, they really seem to like a hotter cam and higher ratio rocker arms 1.6:1....
Awesome. Ill do a cam and some rockers then for sure. and get a good tune at a local shop.

There's plenty of advice on here for how to sand your car down, BUT as you've never done it before it would be better for you ( and your car) if you can find somebody local to mentor you on that one...it';s not all that hard, BUT it's allot of work and very easy to screw up...i've just been through this with a neighbor who took his 86 apart ....i had him do all the sanding and cleaning and i mixed and sprayed the paint...he got some hands on learning....which unfortunately can't be easily taught on the internet....why not finish your drivetrain and sign up for a course at a local community college...then you'll have access to a great paint booth!
didnt even think of that. Since im already in college for chemistry. lol. Ill have to find a local college that can help me or someone who has sanded cars down before.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Since im already in college for chemistry. lol. Ill have to find a local college that can help me or someone who has sanded cars down before.
I majored in chemical engineering and fixed up used cars to sell over my summers....it was hard to get a good summer job back in the early 80's....bad recession...just like now! good luck!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM

I majored in chemical engineering and fixed up used cars to sell over my summers....it was hard to get a good summer job back in the early 80's....bad recession...just like now! good luck!
Thanks man! Yeah hard to get a good summer job. Especially since im taking summer courses as well. haha. But its definitely doable. Im gonna be working on the car more this summer so ill keep this updated when i get back to it. Day 4 to come in Summer 2012.....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM

yeah better off concentrating on your school work till the semester is done! do well in school...then get a good job.....then blow tons of money on car parts like me!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM

yeah better off concentrating on your school work till the semester is done! do well in school...then get a good job.....then blow tons of money on car parts like me!
Sounds like a good plan.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM

A guy wants to trade this LT1 for my WC T5 transmission. Good trade?

"block and crank out of a 97 firebird, everything else brand new, never assembled. I would have to get the parts down off of the shelf and take pics. Block has been tanked, needs new cam bearings, the ones in it are new, but whoever installed them (me) screwed them up pretty bad. (so much for being a cheap skate)I'll get some pics together & send them.
Larry
(just looked at the email I sent-not very clear-sorry.The parts are: Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons with the anti-scuff coating on the skirts, Scat rods, new moly rings and clevite rod and main bearings)"

I wouldnt mind having to put it all together that way i know its rebuilt and good to go. No heads, oil pan, accesories, intake, wiring harness, or ECU. Whatcha think?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM

i tell you what... there's sooooo many incidentals mssing from the engine, you'll be chasing your tail forever trying to put it back together.....wanna keep life simple? find a good used LT-1 that doesn't need anything other than a good cleanup and paint, then use your wc t-5....you'll be doing burnouts before your next homework assignment is due....
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM

i tell you what... there's sooooo many incidentals mssing from the engine, you'll be chasing your tail forever trying to put it back together.....wanna keep life simple? find a good used LT-1 that doesn't need anything other than a good cleanup and paint, then use your wc t-5....you'll be doing burnouts before your next homework assignment is due....
I hear ya man. Ill keep that in mind. Im thinking about doing it just because i want to go 6 speed anyways and i want to build an engine. But on the other hand i would love to get my bird back on the road sooner.....
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM

my son is 19 so i know where your mind is at.....i know you want the 6 speed and all, but it ain't worth the time or money- especially on your budget....unless you have a rich grandma that likes to buy your stuff......keep it simple....or you'll be driving your mom's car all summer!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM

my son is 19 so i know where your mind is at.....i know you want the 6 speed and all, but it ain't worth the time or money- especially on your budget....unless you have a rich grandma that likes to buy your stuff......keep it simple....or you'll be driving your mom's car all summer!
Lol. I have a truck to drive while i work on the car. I had to get a truck when my firebird kept messing up. So idk what im gonna do. haha. Simple is best and easiest though. Who knows. Ill keep this updated.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Anyone know where i can look at all the Pontiac exclusive colors for their cars? I want to do a real Pontiac color on my car.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM

The decision has been made. I am going LT1 with a T56. 2nd gen Snowflake rims and painting the car black. Wish me luck. Also thinking of doing a duck bill spoiler.....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM

Sounds like a winner! Good luck!