Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Need some help with A/C bracket and Lsa Blower!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Need some help with A/C bracket and Lsa Blower!

Hey guys, I posted this up on Ls1tech as well, but haven’t received an answer yet. Anyway, as some of you guys who follow me on YouTube know, I’m kind of in the middle of installing an LSA blower on my Lm7. So far I have the blower, installed a 2.4 pulley, and I’m about to install a new set of 1 7/8 longtubes. Now my next step is going to be replacing the accessory drive. I’ve been looking for a while, but I decided to go with the Lsx concepts corvette accessory drive, without Ac shown here:
https://www.lsxconcepts.com/collecti...c#.WXe9voUpCaM

Now from what I understand, corvette and Lsa spacing is the same. I’m currently running 4th gen f body accessories, with the factory Ac compressor location. I plan on pairing this Lsx Concepts set with an Lsa water pump and Lsa crank pulley, most likey gonna pin it as well. For the blower drive I’ll probably have to pick up a different sized tensioner pulley for the 2.4 pulley, but that should fit no problem.

Soooo, my question is with the A/C compressor. Will my current f body compressor and bracket line up with the Lsa crank pulley, or will I need to swap over to an Ls3 compressor and bracket? Or are the corvette and Camaro compressors the same, and can I just swap the ls1 bracket for an Ls3 bracket? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Re: Need some help with A/C bracket and Lsa Blower!

Bump..
Old 03-26-2018, 11:48 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Not entirely sure, but I think the AC compressor is the same and the brackets just move it forward or back depending on the spacing used. You're going to need the correct bracket anyway so why not just buy the bracket and see what happens?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Not entirely sure, but I think the AC compressor is the same and the brackets just move it forward or back depending on the spacing used. You're going to need the correct bracket anyway so why not just buy the bracket and see what happens?
Cool, thanks. I had a feeling the compressors are probably the same. I’ll order a vette bracket and post how it goes.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

"are the Corvette and Camaro compressors the same.."

If it were me, I'd check the part numbers for each on RockAuto real quick just to calm my ocd..
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ
"are the Corvette and Camaro compressors the same.."

If it were me, I'd check the part numbers for each on RockAuto real quick just to calm my ocd..
lmao good Idea! I did the same when I ordered my LSA water pump the other day. Wasn’t sure if the ls3 vette pump was the same, but it was. Annnnnd I just looked it up..different part numbers..

Before I order anything, does anyone know if C5 and C6 vette accessory spacing is the same? I would need a C5 compressor to match my lines.

Last edited by LsxMatt; 04-03-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Take a look at the info on Kwik performance. They give a good description on spacing specs as well as offer tons of various brackets. You should check out their mini sanden set-up. You could run the AC in the lower position with the blower and have room for your k-member.

Also, what heads are you going to run on the 5.3 to be compatible with the LSA ports?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Take a look at the info on Kwik performance. They give a good description on spacing specs as well as offer tons of various brackets. You should check out their mini sanden set-up. You could run the AC in the lower position with the blower and have room for your k-member.

Also, what heads are you going to run on the 5.3 to be compatible with the LSA ports?
Thanks for the info, I picked up a vette ac bracket, but then realized I had to switch to a high mount compressor, due to the headers getting in the way of the lines. On top of that, the closer spacing to the block would have required me to notch the driver side of the k member for the alternator.

I ended up going with an Lsx Concepts kit with high mount alternator and A/C. Oh and for the heads Im keeping the 243's for now, I picked up adapter plates. Everything should clear the hood being I have a 2 inch cowl.

Here it is all installed for anyone who may be interested. It was designed for older muscle car retrofits, but does fit a thirdgen pretty well.

Here it is with the the new a/c hose and the 4th gen overflow tank and blower reservoir installed.

Last edited by LsxMatt; 06-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.