History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

91 Mclaren Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Mclaren Firebird

I'm looking for information on this car for a buddy of mine. He just purchased a 1991 Mclaren Firebird convertible. He is trying to find out how many were built, what the package included, etc. Any info would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 05-17-2004, 10:44 AM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
I've never heard of a McLaren Firebird, and I've been around Firebirds for years. Have you tried to contact Pontiac Historical Services?

Troy
So Cal
Old 05-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 5 speed manual
It sounds to me like you have a gullible friend. I don't think Pontiac would come out with a McLaren version of their own car cause McLaren would sue them. A firebird convertible is cool nonetheless
Old 05-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I have never heared of a McLaren Firebird. Could the car be an ASC vert?

McLaren modifed several cars in the eighties, like the Turbo GrandPrix (89/90 I believe) and the fox bodied mustang. So maybe they did make a few firebirds, but I have never heared of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:21 PM

I thought a member by the name of Giddyup305 has one. Didn't ASC and Mclaren put both their names on certain cars? In doing a Google search I found a few of them but no specs.

Scott
Old 05-18-2004, 08:17 AM

In doing an extensive search of this forum, there were definitely "ASC" convertibles built. There are quite a few opinions on production numbers for the earlier ones (pre 91) but nothing for the 91 itself. I'm hoping someone with a 91 will step up and have the numbers. Thanks so far.

Scott
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by LXRY YOT
In doing an extensive search of this forum, there were definitely "ASC" convertibles built. There are quite a few opinions on production numbers for the earlier ones (pre 91) but nothing for the 91 itself. I'm hoping someone with a 91 will step up and have the numbers. Thanks so far.

Scott
Well, yeah.... the majority of f-body ragtops were ASC convertibles. As for the McLaren convertible... I've never heard of one, either. Doesn't mean it ain't out there, but in almost three years of f-body 'vert research, I haven't come across one. The 1991 model year was the first year that GM retooled the Firebird's VIN numbers to reflect a 'factory' 'vert.... prior to then they were all classified as coupes. According to the data on the TransAmGTA.com website, GM made 989 Firebird 'verts and 637 Trans Am 'verts in '91. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cargasm; 05-18-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:19 PM

There has to someone out there with a last name of McClaren who purchased a firebird convertable
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39 PM

If the majority of them were built by ASC, who built the rest? Thanks for the info.

Scott
Old 05-18-2004, 05:52 PM

I think all of the '91 and '92 birds were ASC conversions... maybe you should check in the convertible board for more info.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:11 PM

It seems that my 3 minute convertible section research would be limited compared to your 3 years of F-body convertible research. Either the info isn't there or you're not very good at research. I'm sure it's the first...

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:52 AM

Hey, it was just a suggestion, bud. Perhaps you should have posted your question in the convertible forum to begin with.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:32 AM

Because it's a HISTORY question bud.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Recaro Option T/A
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:27 Borg Warner
Hey Bud, whats your problem ?

Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 AM

Hey Yot, with 7 posts and a whoping 0 months of membership, maybe you should tone it down a bit. . Get a bad rep and all people will read when you post is . People will be happy to answer your questions, just try some politeness.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
I could be mistaken but I think ASC=McLaren and McLaren=ASC. I think they where known as ASC/McLaren in the 80's. I've seen the joint ASC/McLaren tag on the GNX and the McLaren 5.0L's.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Acceld Z
I could be mistaken but I think ASC=McLaren and McLaren=ASC. I think they where known as ASC/McLaren in the 80's. I've seen the joint ASC/McLaren tag on the GNX and the McLaren 5.0L's.
You know what, I think you may be right.... now that you mention it I think I have seen the McLaren name associated with ASC. Dunno why it didn't register.

YOT.... once again, I was only trying to help out.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
...Mecham? Maybe? I dunno, that's all I can think of
Old 05-19-2004, 03:31 PM

First off my name isn't "Bud". My first post clearly stated that. I like giving my name. I happen to think using one's name is POLITE. Not bud, sport, pal, guy, chump, etc.

The first 3 responses I get are that the car doesn't exist. You guys are the pontiac guys not me yet I know for a fact this car was built and apparently ASC is also affiliated with Mclaren.

My original post stated I was looking for information. I also stated that I did a search on this forum. I get a response from cargasm like I'm an idiot and should know all this info about the car. ( Well, yeah.... the majority of f-body ragtops were ASC convertibles) complete with smacked head. How would I know that???

Then I get the "check the convertible board" line after I stated I already did an extensive search on the forum. If my question was actually read completely and answered without all the subtle insults maybe this thread wouldn't have took a turn into a ditch.

If you guys treat all the "newbies" like this I'd be surprised if they came back for more. I'm glad I don't own a Firebird anymore.

My apologies for those who suffered through this junior high school thread...Thanks for the info....I think...

Scott, aka.....bud
Old 05-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Recaro Option T/A
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:27 Borg Warner
I just saw the name bud tossed around and it reminded me of a classic movie.....anyway...

The affiliation of ASC with Mclaren on the Foxbodies has nothing to do with the ASC conversion of F-Bodies.

http://www.ascmclaren.com

info@ascmclaren.com
Old 05-19-2004, 05:03 PM

First... no one said that a McLaren Firebird didn't exist. Not once. What folks DID say, however, was that they had never heard of one. Period.

Second.... my original post with the "smacked head" was meant facetiously.... as demonstrated by "big-*** smiley face" a sentence further down. I do admit that there isn't much info available on non-ASC Firebird 'verts here..... because there weren't many made. Once again... no one said it didn't exist... just that we had never heard of it.

Third...... "check the convertible board" was not a line, nor was it meant to be sarcastic. It was a valid suggestion made because you were looking for 'vert specific information... hence posting on the 'vert board might have gotten you info sooner. The 'vert owners check that board almost daily. Once again, only trying to help.

Lastly....... calling you "bud" was sarcasm on my part. I apologise for the crack. To tell the truth, it was in response to your comment about your three minute search as compared to my three years of research. That seemed pretty sarcastic to me, and I took it as such. If it wasn't meant to be so, I apologise once again.

In closing..... No, we don't typically give newbies a hard time on this board. Perhaps percieved and/or intended slights turned this into an antagonistic thread. I do stand by my suggestion of posting your question in the 'vert section.... it may yet yield more information for you. That's why the 'vert section was started. Best of luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:22 PM

You should take your facetiousness, your sarcasm and your smiley faces and start your own forum. You can write to yourself all day. That way no-one will misunderstand what your trying to say. "Newbies" DON'T KNOW YOU so why confuse them with all the extra crap. Next time leave out the creative writing and just try helping.

Good Luck
Old 05-19-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
If this continues, the thread will be locked!!!! Scott has asked nothing abnormal for a new member.

I agree with LXRY YOT, he came in here asking legitimate questions. He asked them after doing his research and looking for answers, first.

ASC and McLaren worked together on many projects, not just the Ford Mustang. As a combined company, they also brought GM the Buick GNX.

Scott, call marketing guy, Russ Pollack, at 1-866-GET-MCLAREN and see what info he can get you.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by scottmoyer
Scott has asked nothing abnormal for a new member.

I agree with LXRY YOT, he came in here asking legitimate questions. He asked them after doing his research and looking for answers, first.
You're absolutely right.. it was a perfectly logical question.

Scott (LXRY).... I'm trying to apologize, not antagonize you. Once again, I'm sorry if my replies rubbed you the wrong way. How 'bout let's let this go away so you can get the info you're looking for. Also, it'd be great if you could post your findings regarding this particular 'vert.... I'm very interested in finding out more about it. Best of luck....

Dave
Old 05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
Scott:
I think you were getting a little defensive here. I was first to reply, and I never even implied the car didn't exist. Far from it, I only admitted that I had never heard of it, and I worked for High Performance Pontiac for years. I am never so egotistical to think I know everything, or that the car does not exist because I don't know about it, that is why I suggested Pontiac Historical Services. If I thought it didn't exist, I would have said so, not suggested someone who knows more than I do.

You will always find kids and disagreements on any online forum. You will also find some good information and help. You need to sort through them and not take it personally if you do not get the answer that you wanted.

Good Luck
Troy
So Cal
Old 05-28-2004, 12:33 PM

MR. Moyer,

Thank you very much. It's refreshing to be understood. I do appreciate the info. I am a member of a few forums and I know sometimes people get a little short with answers and don't realize that what they are typing sounds like an attack rather than a reply. The majority of communication that takes place between people is physical (hand gestures, facial expressions, etc) That's a drawback to these forums. My apologies to anyone that "read" me wrong and I accept those who have apologized to me. I will contact Russ and see what he can come up with. Once again, thanks to all who helped.

Scott