History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

3rd gen restorations thread....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
3rd gen restorations thread....

I was wondering if we could have a thread dedicated to links of full on 3rd gen restorations. I was inspired by the '82 Indy Pace Car link provided by FormerL69. This would be a thread for full on restorations, not simple paint jobs or mechanical freshenings.

Here are two examples:

http://www.meierproductions.com/1982...ject/index.htm
http://imageevent.com/ls1z28/1990irocz

I do realize that the second one ('90 IROC), may not be considered a "proper" restoration in the strictest sense, (ie., non - factory color), but it is the sort of magnificent restoration link I'd like to bundle in one thread.

More than just pictures, it could also be a place where we discuss techniques, products and methods to get proper results. If it pans out, maybe the mods might want to create a stickey with it in the History/Restoration section.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto
Re: 3rd gen restorations thread....

Originally Posted by chazman
I was wondering if we could have a thread dedicated to links of full on 3rd gen restorations. I was inspired by the '82 Indy Pace Car link provided by FormerL69. This would be a thread for full on restorations, not simple paint jobs or mechanical freshenings.

Here are two examples:

I do realize that the second one ('90 IROC), may not be considered a "proper" restoration in the strictest sense, (ie., non - factory color), but it is the sort of magnificent restoration link I'd like to bundle in one thread.

More than just pictures, it could also be a place where we discuss techniques, products and methods to get proper results. If it pans out, maybe the mods might want to create a stickey with it in the History/Restoration section.
I'll second this request. Having a centralized place to find factory correct parts or to hear and see what did and did not work for people would be great. There's a post over in the Interior section here at TGO about refinishing panels with some invaluable information.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62

Seeing as how this is the History/Restoration board, I think its a good idea to make it a sticky!

I would include a link to my 86's re-do, but compared to what these other guys have done, I don't come close to being worthy The above 2 restorations are simply amazing.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Black Iroc-Z
Engine: 305-LG4/ Soon to be ?
Transmission: TH-350/ soon to be ?
Axle/Gears: 3.73 POSI - Auburn -

Originally Posted by chazman

Here are two examples:

Sounds like a good idea... I'm restoring mine come this spring and it would be pretty helpful...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

I think that we're so impressed by the above two, because you rarely see that type of nut and bolt resto on a 3rd gen. I think that both of those can offer some inspiration for people contemplating a restoration or freshening of their 3rd gens.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

So, what you're saying is, the Restoration forum should have some information on restorations? I'm not sure I understand your thinking!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

I think the restoration thread is tainted with everything else. Another solution would be to move or delete the threads that don't belong. It would be nice to have a spot where factory correct restorations could be followed from start to finish, but that would probably get filled with everything else also.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Guys, I hear ya. Most people believe a restoration is taking a trashed car and making it look clean again and adding any new parts that repair the damaged pieces. Also, the History portion of this forum is about the history of the car and it's options. We, as a community, need to self regulate. If you see posts that don't belong, use the "report post" (red triangle under the Classifieds Rating). We, as moderators, need help from you, the members. Let us know the reason for the reported post.

JT and I have discussed having different forums for restoration and modification threads. The problem we have is that there need to be subforums in each category. Would we need to have a body and interior subforum for each category? TGO needs to have the members make TGO a better place.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 01-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MD8

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
It would be nice to have a spot where factory correct restorations could be followed from start to finish
In a perfect world I agree with the above statement, but theres virtually nobody on this site, who are doing full blown restorations like the Pace Car from that link above, that would require a whole new forum section dedicated to that.

And I also agree, if such a section was ever created, it would end up filled with "is my 92 RS V6 worth saving because it has a 25th badge on the dash" thus the mods ripping their hair out. Its like trying to float a boat with holes in the hull. You cant stop the inevitable from happening.

So, if people are doing restorations, they should be made in threads in this section only.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I was wondering if any of you have seen a wax signature/initials on the bottom outside of the oil pan?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Guys, I hear ya. Most people believe a restoration is taking a trashed car and making it look clean again and adding any new parts that repair the damaged pieces. Also, the History portion of this forum is about the history of the car and it's options. We, as a community, need to self regulate. If you see posts that don't belong, use the "report post" (red triangle under the Classifieds Rating). We, as moderators, need help from you, the members. Let us know the reason for the reported post.

JT and I have discussed having different forums for restoration and modification threads. The problem we have is that there need to be subforums in each category. Would we need to have a body and interior subforum for each category? TGO needs to have the members make TGO a better place.
Makes sense Scott. Maybe we just need an admin controlled sticky for the true restos versus nice cleans ups. I say admin controller to prevent people from posting junk in there, or, as you said, maybe we all just have to police it ourselves.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I think it might be good to have some sort of well-restored, or survivor, ThirdGen featured on the site to showcase the history of these cars and support those on this site. Even though it currently may only make up the minority, the cars are becoming collectors and it'll not only showcase great examples of these cars, it will also get more (positive) attention. Having some sort of regular feature on the front page for well-restored, or survivor, ThirdGens will help bring them out of the History/Restoration forum for a larger audience to see.

We've been working on a Car Of The Month idea, but as I'm seeing issues (largely with the dominance of modified Camaros being favored) I think something like this may be needed. You take a mint I4 Firebird and a modified Camaro for voting, and the modified Camaro is most likely to win and that shows the flaws. The mint I4 Firebird should have it's own spotlight.

Originally Posted by scottmoyer

Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JT
I think it might be good to have some sort of well-restored, or survivor, ThirdGen featured on the site to showcase the history of these cars and support those on this site. Even though it currently may only make up the minority, the cars are becoming collectors and it'll not only showcase great examples of these cars, it will also get more (positive) attention. Having some sort of regular feature on the front page for well-restored, or survivor, ThirdGens will help bring them out of the History/Restoration forum for a larger audience to see.

We've been working on a Car Of The Month idea, but as I'm seeing issues (largely with the dominance of modified Camaros being favored) I think something like this may be needed. You take a mint I4 Firebird and a modified Camaro for voting, and the modified Camaro is most likely to win and that shows the flaws. The mint I4 Firebird should have it's own spotlight.

So very glad to read this!

Heck my car still has VAN NUYS stickers on the inner fender well.

We need to document survivors so when others wish to restore to factory original they can have something!

You have my vote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Car: A lousy LS1 car
Engine: 347 Cu. In.
Transmission: Which One?

Originally Posted by cerberus
So very glad to read this!

Heck my car still has VAN NUYS stickers on the inner fender well.

We need to document survivors so when others wish to restore to factory original they can have something!

You have my vote
And my vote as well.

Althought I understand many members here favor customized cars to their liking, its time to recognize the survivors and significant restoration projects. Frankly, there is no other way to document the cars.

This has been going on with the 1st generation guys for years. Witness the value of some of the more 'desirable' 67-69 cars. They have relyed for the most part on unmolested cars as a reference point.

How many members here have actually worked at Van Nuys or Norwood and have first hand knowledge of how the cars were built? My guess is 2% to zero.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JT

I agree completely. The Car Of The Month thread is cool and all, but as you say it is very biased toward heavily modded cars. A mint original or perfectly restored car, would probably have no chance in that contest.

The two restoration links I posted above, really are anomalies in the 3rd gen world right now. Hopefully we can change that.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Ok. One thing I want to note for the newer members. If you do a search on TGO, you'll find posts where we documented all kinds of things as they came from the factory. The stickers and locations being one of them. They used to be stickied at the top of this forum, but we had too many stickies that you would have to scroll down many lines before you can read the first post. If there is something you want documented, do a quick search and you might find we have it already.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Car: 82 Indy Pace Car
Engine: 305 Crossfire
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I've updated the photos on the 82 pace car resto to include the finished product. The link at the top doesn't work for me. Here is another copy of the link.
I would be glad to answer any questions that I can.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

82-indy I have to ask you what product you used to repaint the interior panels in your car.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

All the plastic side pieces in both my 82's were chalked an scratched up. After locating good pieces from parts cars, I colored them with a kit from Justdashes
com. I sent them a blue piece, they color matched from the back side. They sent 2 quarts of color. I'm very happy with the color match. The finish is not bullet proof, but seems to hold up OK
I've put 2500 miles on my car so far and still happy with the coloring. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Car: A lousy LS1 car
Engine: 347 Cu. In.
Transmission: Which One?

I've found that using an adhesion promoter prior to painting really helps the color 'bite' the plastic.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

A nut and bolt restore will probably only happen on a thirdgen once every 5 years. It is extremely expensive and time consuming and the value of these cars currently do not justiy the cost for that level of a restore. Hence why most will say you are better off buying a low milege original.

I don't think you could find a car of the month or even a car of the year on a regular basis.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by burnout88
A nut and bolt restore will probably only happen on a thirdgen once every 5 years. It is extremely expensive and time consuming and the value of these cars currently do not justiy the cost for that level of a restore. Hence why most will say you are better off buying a low milege original.

I don't think you could find a car of the month or even a car of the year on a regular basis.
Very true, Brian. But seeing and talking about cars which have gone through that process are inspirational for our community. Maybe not everyone will pull the trigger on a rotisserie restoration, but it may inspire folks to take whatever they're doing on their cars just a little further.

Eventhough lots of low miles cars can still be gotten for probably less than the cost of an all out restoration - I do believe that the 1990 IROC guy, ended up selling his car for a profit.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Coloring plastic, Yes - Just Dashes did recommend "Bull Dog" adheasion promoter with their product. I forgot to mention that. Their kit contains 2 quarts of color, scuffing pads, a little arasol like paint sprayer, and a "simple green" like concentrate cleaner. On of the biggest challenges is getting ALL the armoral off before painting. Get it clean, scuffed, promoted, and then paint. The little sprayers seem to work fairly well with very little waste to overspray. Don't be alarmed if the spray is not a fine as you feel it should be. The paint dries down very well. So I can look like you did a crummy job spraying it when its still wet. 20 mins later, it looks much better.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 82_Indy
Coloring plastic, Yes - Just Dashes did recommend "Bull Dog" adheasion promoter with their product. I forgot to mention that. Their kit contains 2 quarts of color, scuffing pads, a little arasol like paint sprayer, and a "simple green" like concentrate cleaner. On of the biggest challenges is getting ALL the armoral off before painting. Get it clean, scuffed, promoted, and then paint. The little sprayers seem to work fairly well with very little waste to overspray. Don't be alarmed if the spray is not a fine as you feel it should be. The paint dries down very well. So I can look like you did a crummy job spraying it when its still wet. 20 mins later, it looks much better.

How did you restore your muffler/tailpipes assembly?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Just to add to Burnout88 thoughts about nut and bolt restos. Having completed on on a 82 pace car, here is what I learned...

The rest of my background is 65-71 Olds 442's. Dad and I (dad retired Olds body shop foreman for 40+ years) hobby with "nut and bolt" restos. I did take my pace car to the level that I had intended to from the start. However I learned 2 things.

1 - there are many more pieces to one of these than and 55-58 chevy or a 65-71 442.
2 - these cars have much more plastic and other stuff that is not reproduced and hard to find good.

So, you are correct in saying the value of the cars do not warrent the this type of resto. However, if you like the cars, enjoy the work, and especially in my case, have someone to share the time with, its all worth while. On one hand, I cannot justify the $$ and time if I was selling it, but it's not for sale. I enjoyed doing the car, enjoy driving the car, and the looks it gets.

Some people (as I) get personal satisfaction from improving their rides. I'm sure I'm odd (yep - kids remind me of it almost daily) but the satifaction from accomplishment has value too to some (me anyway).

So, if there are any parts of what I've been through would help anyone with just improving a part of their pride and joy, then Great, I'd love to help however I can. Don't claim to be a expert, but kinda "been there - done that" on a 3rd gen. This experience may help with "yep - this worked", "na, didn't go so well" on different parts of the project.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Trying to go original as much as possible, I went through my parts cars and found the best exhaust I had. (The 82's had 2 little mufflers, the only thing one can get aftermarket is 1 larger muffler with 2 tail pipes.) Eastwood has a silver like exhaust paint that I used on the plain steel pipes. the stainless steel parts like muflers and tail pipes was a weekend in a chair, infront of the shop tv, with steel wool. Eastwood also has a cast iron color high heat paint. After bead blasting the manifolds, they were painted with this. The heat shields were blasted, then painted with the silver exhaust paint. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM

I am not sure what it will take. But a true Historical and Restoration area would be great. A repository of information and pictures.
In as much as I appreciate the nice rides posted here there are several threads here that need to be moved because they have little to nothing to do with a restoration or history.

I would flag them but heck, I have already ruffled enough feathers around here about this restoration stuff.....I feel one more disagreement with the establishment I may get banned.

I am all for it. 100% of my drive is to encourage members and others to restore rather than modify.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 82_Indy
Trying to go original as much as possible, I went through my parts cars and found the best exhaust I had. (The 82's had 2 little mufflers, the only thing one can get aftermarket is 1 larger muffler with 2 tail pipes.) Eastwood has a silver like exhaust paint that I used on the plain steel pipes. the stainless steel parts like muflers and tail pipes was a weekend in a chair, infront of the shop tv, with steel wool. Eastwood also has a cast iron color high heat paint. After bead blasting the manifolds, they were painted with this. The heat shields were blasted, then painted with the silver exhaust paint. Hope this helps.

Thanks!