History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N

New here on third gen and could use a little help. My sons Camaro came from craigslist seller with 2 engines. We don't know which one is the original (or if neither are)and are trying to figure it out. Also would like to know if there is anything "special" about this car and the way it was optioned (or not optioned LOL). The "extra" engine that we have has a S/N of A070127SCC. Haven't got to the S/N of the engine that is currently in it. I can't seem to find a link or decode sheet for the 90* V6 serial numbers. The two engines seem to have a different accessory drive setup. One has serpentine belt pulley on the PS pump and the other a dual v-belt. The routing diagram on the filler plate of the car shows a serpentine belt.

Here is the RPO code sheet out of the console glove box.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-87camaro12.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Camaro
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N

Looks to be a 2.8 MPFI in your Camaro indicated from the 'S' in your VIN. You can locate the serial number ( 44435) and partial vin on the motor near the water pump where it attaches near the passenger side head on a lip (part of the block casting)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Yes, Both motors are 2.8 MPFI's. Just not sure which one is original. I will check the one that's in it tonight since from what you are saying the block stamped A070127SCC is not even close.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 5150
Yes, Both motors are 2.8 MPFI's. Just not sure which one is original. I will check the one that's in it tonight since from what you are saying the block stamped A070127SCC is not even close.
On the 90* V6 the serial stamp and partial VIN may also be located on the drivers side where the bell housing is connected to :

Old 06-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by x55Cam
Looks to be a 2.8 MPFI in your Camaro indicated from the 'S' in your VIN. You can locate the serial number ( 44435) and partial vin on the motor near the water pump where it attaches near the passenger side head on a lip (part of the block casting)
Interesting. The only ID number I am seeing on the engine is stamped on a machined surface on top of the motor just behind the water pump. Drivers side when standing in front of the car facing engine bay. It is in the same location on both motors, Neither of them have anything close to the VIN or partial VIN in them. The one in the car reads T0156CAF if I remember correctly. Its not the same number of characters as the one out of the car unless there are some numbers I can't see. I will check the bell housing mount location tonite and see if there is anything.
Attached Thumbnails Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-sn.jpg   Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-sn2.jpg  
Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Stupid question I know but, are you sure that spare motor is a 2.8? I checked all the casting numbers that I can find and none have that number configuration that is in that photo. The numbers that I'm familiar with start with '100XXXXX' or '140XXXXX' or '141XXXXX' and no letters. Check this doc out:

http://www.enginepartswarehouse.com/...ERALMOTORS.PDF
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM

X55Cam,

Thank you for your assistance. I think I have finally solved my puzzle. I stumbled across something in the GMheritage documents which I think is a treasure chest of information. If it isn't posted elswhere on this website as a sticky, it certainly should be as it lists just about every specification, code, option, and configuration available from dealers on camaros. It can be found here: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...let-Camaro.pdf
To get your particular year model, you can simply edit the text in your web browser to the correct year. Interesting, some pages are out of order and some are used more than one year but just keep scrolling down for the information desired.

So here is what I come up with:

A070127SCC is a 2.8L V6 produced in Ramos Mexico on July1, for a 1987 Camaro. I am not sure what the "27" indicates. It is the engine that I have as a spare. I will look deeeper tonight for casting numbers, and a partial vin but at least I know it is out of a camaro and is the right year.

I think I may have transposed some numbers and letters on the block that is in it from CFA ("88 2.8L) to CAF (?) Will verify tonight.

Here is where to find Engine ID info on V6 2.8L engines per GM documentation and how I came up with it.
Attached Thumbnails Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-engine-code3.png   Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-engine-code2.png   Anything special about this? Help me decode S/N-engine-code1.png  
Old 06-08-2018, 12:28 PM

5150 , good find - there's so much great info out there and the site you pulled up is just one that we hope remains available to us 3rd gen owners.

BTW, I managed to obtain this soft cover book when I was in the process of rebuilding the V6 - it was very detailed and had many great photos. Still available:

Amazon Amazon