History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Clean "base" '89 IROC-Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Clean "base" '89 IROC-Z

Appears to be an 15" wheel, L03, auto. Nice car, but priced optimistically at $9750, considering miles and lack of performance options.

https://mattoon.craigslist.org/cto/d...724331079.html

Last edited by chazman; 10-16-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Clean "base" '89 IROC-Z

Looks like a clean car. I'd agree that hes a bit high on his asking price. I'd be more interested around $7k but if they are like me, when I sell, I always start high and come down from there..
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Always Found It Odd That GM Dropped The Z28 Badging From The Body But Kept It On The Dash,As Seen On This Car.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

The car is in really nice shape and you can tell this has been a well maintained car and cared for over the years. I think that alone is worth a grand or 2. Look at some of these ads and how some of these 6K-7K IROCS are shown lately here. I know I am in the minority here but is 81K really a lot? That is less than 3K a year. Anyway I don't think 9K is unrealistic for this, IMHO this is more than a 7K car based on the condition alone. Someone will look real good pulling up to cruise night in this.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by vinny R
The car is in really nice shape and you can tell this has been a well maintained car and cared for over the years. I think that alone is worth a grand or 2. Look at some of these ads and how some of these 6K-7K IROCS are shown lately here. I know I am in the minority here but is 81K really a lot? That is less than 3K a year. Anyway I don't think 9K is unrealistic for this, IMHO this is more than a 7K car based on the condition alone. Someone will look real good pulling up to cruise night in this.
I’ve seen low mile cars in person that don’t look as nice. This car does look well kept and better maintained than a car that has just sat.

The premuim prices are more for a car that will be essentially a museum/collection car though, so I understand why a car that gets driven might have a lower price even though it seems to be in identical condition.

Also 80k is not high mileage for a 30 year old car. Find a 69 Camaro all original and babied with 80k miles and that’s considered low and desirable. It’s just that there are these 30k, 10k, 3k mile IROCs popping up for sale.

The right 80k car can definitely be better than a 3k car where the owner dropped the ball..

I’d rather a TPI myself, but a black 5-speed is nice looking and would need some 17” 88-90 repro Hawks wheels..

For me.. it’s a $6500 car.. I’d do $8,000-$8500 if it was TPI.

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 10-16-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

There you guys go AGAIN pushing down the values of these cars.........
It's like a broken record with this group - IMO, the asking price is fair and allows room to negotiate for the seller.
But pictures can only show so much - would depend on seeing it in person and driving it
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

It's a fair price, but I'd turn my nose up at the car for the lack of performance options. Circa 1996 I spent many an hour cruising the local car lots and looking at thirdgens. First stop was to check the VIN - H, E, S, T, F with an auto = get back in the car and drive away. I just can't see buying into a car I wouldn't enjoy driving, unless it's a blank slate to build upon. Cars like this that have the look but not the heart, always kind of pissed me off. Why'd they even make me get out of the car?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks to be a good deal for the money. Nice interior and I see one original front floor mat there too.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

I contacted the seller. He is the second owner. His daughter drove it through college and then he got it back when she graduated. He had a rust spot repaired on one of the doors 18 years ago, he can't remember which one. This car sort of reminds me of my black '89, but without any performance options. I said, based on it's base mechanicals, it looks like a lady who was looking for the "look" if not the performance, bought it new. He said it was a female college professor. He's owned it since about '94. If it wasn't 3.5 hours away from me, I'd go check it out.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

It'd make a good LS swap, or hot rod candidate. That'd make up for the shortcomings. In 2018 an L03 just isn't.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
There you guys go AGAIN pushing down the values of these cars.........
It's like a broken record with this group - IMO, the asking price is fair and allows room to negotiate for the seller.
But pictures can only show so much - would depend on seeing it in person and driving it
I agree. Just because we as enthusiasts might know exactly what to look for on the performance side, doesn't mean the rest of the world does. The asking price is fine for what it is. I'm not sure why we question every 3rd gen that's for sale on the Internet. What made this car the "Pick on me" candidate for this week? I'm not trying to get our values to the $100k price range, but it sure would be nice if the values increased to the point where the aftermarket started creating accurate parts.

Also, I'm questioning what all of these price criticisms has to do with History/Originality.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I agree. Just because we as enthusiasts might know exactly what to look for on the performance side, doesn't mean the rest of the world does. The asking price is fine for what it is. I'm not sure why we question every 3rd gen that's for sale on the Internet. What made this car the "Pick on me" candidate for this week? I'm not trying to get our values to the $100k price range, but it sure would be nice if the values increased to the point where the aftermarket started creating accurate parts.

Also, I'm questioning what all of these price criticisms has to do with History/Originality.
Scott, I picked this one because it seems like a nicely preserved, original example which caught my eye. We've got to have a place to discuss values of these cars, both real and perceived, and History/Originality is the only place you'll get a serious conversation about it.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by chazman
Scott, I picked this one because it seems like a nicely preserved, original example which caught my eye. We've got to have a place to discuss values of these cars, both real and perceived, and History/Originality is the only place you'll get a serious conversation about it.
Charlie,
I'm beginning to disagree about the discussion of the value. I can't recall seeing a thread about a higher priced third gen that wasn't berated by the members here. If the price is below where the members think it should be, you guys are all over it, but if the price is higher than you guys think, the car gets destroyed on here. This is NOT the place to destroy these cars values by being overly critical to the point of devaluing it.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

When I say what it’s worth.. that’s the price “I” would buy it at.. I don’t want a TBI 305, but lower the price enough and I won’t pass on it!

I wouldn’t make the claim “this car will sell for $xxxxxx ALL DAY LONG!” Because I’m well aware someone will want a black 5-speed really bad and negotiate at that price.. I’m totally fine with the asking price, but it’s too high for me to move on it..
Old 10-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Part of the reason I pick apart cars that are posted here, is to help people see details they might have missed, or to straighten out a misconception or fraudulent claim. Personally, I'd much rather see restoration and documentation stuff here, instead of the non-stop "hey look at this car" threads. Yeah occasionally there's something interesting, or hilarious, but I swear if I see one more "look it's a 5spd!" or "OOoohh! a 1LE!" or "Oooh! I LOVE PURPLE CAMAROS!" thread, I'm going to punch a baby.

When I pointed out a few years ago that actual "Restoration" threads were ending up in the "Body" forum, the solution management decided to go with was removing "restoration" from the title of this subforum. Kind of like how "Detailing and Appearance" was intended to be about literally detailing cars and somehow it because the hot new place to discuss Lambo doors. Somehow "History and Restoration" morphed into History and Originality, and has always been the home of kicking thirdgen tires and **** topics like how many 84 Z28s have this exact crack in the windshield?

The forum is Really frustrating sometimes.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Charlie,
I'm beginning to disagree about the discussion of the value. I can't recall seeing a thread about a higher priced third gen that wasn't berated by the members here. If the price is below where the members think it should be, you guys are all over it, but if the price is higher than you guys think, the car gets destroyed on here. This is NOT the place to destroy these cars values by being overly critical to the point of devaluing it.
I think it's fair to say that I have more invested in 3rd gens than most do, so the last thing I'd want is to purposely devalue them. With that said, we need a place to have these discussions. And it NEEDS to be on this site. Either here or we need to commandeer another section on this site, but personally I think right here is perfect.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

I think it's fair to say that I have more invested in 3rd gens than most do, so the last thing I'd want is to purposely devalue them. With that said, we need a place to have these discussions. And it NEEDS to be on this site. Either here or we need to commandeer another section on this site, but personally I think right here is perfect.
I agree.. I think anyone doing market research on these cars would get a lot of good info here. I think we are hashing out what is actually happening in real time in the market.

I’m guilty of posting up “purple 1LE’s” but I usually try to find cars that look pretty original and would be of interest to folks here. I’d love to post up a car and have someone on here buy it and maybe even get a good price negotiated because of some info they got here.. Would be cool if someone got their holy grail car from a post here.

It doesn’t seem there is a better forum for these discussions.

I have even moved my pricepoints up because of some good counter arguments..
Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I personally like these types of threads and this section seems to be the best suited out of what we have. When threads like this are posted, especially when the experts (many in this thread!) reply, the community learns and some of the experts even learn or recall lost details. If these types of threads didn't happen then information about these cars may not get discussed and passed on as it does here. Besides, this section probably doesn't have a lot of actual "restoration" or "documentation" occurring.

Charlie,
Gee Scott, remember 4 months ago when I PM'ed you about a price on a GTA and you told me the price was probably "fair"! You devalued it! Seriously, I sometimes think we're getting a little too worked up about perceived value. I understand about the parts. I purchased an aftermarket fuel sending unit/pump housing because GM's last remaining stock was 2-3 times the cost. The aftermarket unit fit poorly with the fuel lines not bent correctly and not letting the unit sit correctly in the tank . Next came replacing a fuel tank on a different ThirdGen. Again, another fit issue due to fuel neck location not matching OEM. But that said, those types of issues (crap aftermarket replacement parts) aren't exactly exclusive to ThirdGens.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 PM

I don't have a problem with the "details" of a car being discussed, but the constant price conversations are getting very old. If a car is posted for $24k, I wouldn't have a problem if people pick apart the ad and posting. I'm just tired of hearing someone say that a car isn't worth "x" when I've seen worse sell for more. Just because some of the experts here won't pay a certain price, doesn't mean it isn't worth that to someone. If you'll recall, there were discussions a couple years ago where members were saying "NONE" of these cars were worth over $20k and I disagreed.

I remember back in 2005 when LeonardS posted his 1992 Z28 for $50k. Or the 4.3 mile IROC-Z that was on eBay for "the ridiculous price", yet it now sits in a collection after being bought for $34k. I have a friend that sold his 245 mile 1987 IROC-Z to Matt Garrett for $32k a few years ago. If these ultra low mile cars were worth over $30k a few years ago, then why can't other clean cars with reasonable use miles be worth $20k today? Especially since the market has shown an upswing in 3rd gen values and the automotive media have announced that these are the cars to buy now.

I enjoy reading the posts where the cars are picked apart as not what's being advertised and being able to educate a new member, but can we stop saying that a car is only worth $5k because that's all you'd pay for it. Someone in Massachusetts might be willing to pay more for a car than someone in Tennessee because that's the only one in their area that isn't swiss cheese.

JT, if you'll recall, you were asking me about a GTA with 10k miles for $20k. I said his asking price was fair if you thought it was fair. I also said you can try to negotiate him down based on other recent sales, but be prepared to pay full price. You also stated that there were minor issues that needed to be addressed and I said you can use those as a bargaining chip, but be prepared to pay his asking price because it's a fair price. He wasn't asking too much and it wasn't a steal. Could he ask more and sell it for more? Maybe, I don't know. That's why I also said you should check the Hagerty price guide for GTAs. I never said his $20k was way too much for a car with problems and that it's only worth about $12k! Please remember that.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

I like this car. It really does look very well taken car of. Wish there was a motor pic. I think this car will realistically sell for about 8k to 8,500 based on its excellent condition. I just like how clean and untampered it is. If it were a 5-speed LO3 with ttops it would sell fast and probably for 9k.

i would buy this one over that 86 that’s been sitting for 25 years that has half the mileage.

Last edited by burnout88; 10-16-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Anyhoo, getting back to this car. I kind of dig it, even though I know it's a slow poke.

Ah, that darned Mustang I bought! I can't do anything until that moves on to the next guy..
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by burnout88
I like this car. It really does look very well taken car of. Wish there was a motor pic. I think this car will realistically sell for about 8k to 8,500 based on its excellent condition. I just like how clean and untampered it is. If it were a 5-speed LO3 with ttops it would sell fast and probably for 9k.

I agree. This particular car would sell for more with t-tops. 5 speed, even better. I've got an engine pic. Stand by.....
Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

The motor looks great! Just a little dusty but again untampered with. Fresh washer and coolant bottles and a little detail work and you have a mint looking Iroc for a damn good price.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

The motor looks great! Just a little dusty but again untampered with. Fresh washer and coolant bottles and a little detail work and you have a mint looking Iroc for a damn good price.
Should I go for it, Brian?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I think this car is priced pretty fair. I'm sure they would come down a grand or 2.Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of the L03. But for a woman or someone who has no interest in performance it's a great engine. I'd rather drive this one than a nicer optioned car the color of Barney to be honest but that's just my take on it.L03s are Super reliable, it makes the right sound, and the car looks the part etc. Overall this is a nice car.

Last edited by dmccain; 10-16-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dmccain
U think this car is priced pretty fair. I'm sure they would come down a grand or 2.Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of the L03. But for a woman of someone who has no interest in performance it's a great engine. Super reliable, it makes the right sound, etc. Overall this is a nice car.
I Agree..

So is there a new “Mustang for sale” ad or what?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Personally, I would. It just presents so well and would look really cool next to your other black 89. If you could get it for 8k that would be ideal. Then you would have no problem with a quick resale when you want to move on to the next one. My guess is he is looking to get 9k for it. So it may be tuff getting him to 8k.

A fun project for this car would be an N10 dual cat exhaust and manifolds. Bump the timing a little and a 160 thermostat and chip. That will add a little get up and go.
A 3.73 would also wake that LO3 up and not ruin its clean stock appearance in anyway.

It just looks so nice it’s a hard car to overlook. I really like the blue stripe on these black cars. If it was near me I would be looking at it for sure.

Last edited by burnout88; 10-17-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Personally, I would. It just presents so well and would look really cool next to your other black 89. If you could get it for 8k that would be ideal. Then you would have no problem with a quick resale when you want to move on to the next one. My guess is he is looking to get 9k for it. So it may be tuff getting him to 8k.

A fun project for this car would be an N10 dual cat exhaust and manifolds. Bump the timing a little and a 160 thermostat and chip. That will add a little get up and go.

It it just looks so nice it’s a hard car to overlook. I really like the blue stripe on these black cars. If it was near me I would be looking at it for sure.

It would make a neat book end to my black '89, exactly what I was thinking. The exhaust looks replaced already, so my originality OCD would not object, plus I still have an L69 air cleaner set up. Well, we'll see. It's not really a good time of year to sell the Mustang, but I think I would in order to make space for it. Best thing to do is give it a couple of days to cool down a little and see what's what.

Last edited by chazman; 10-16-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

have you seen this one chaz , looks like a nice car for around that price
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...713048402.html
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ray jr
Nice! A lot more car for the money.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

I still like the black one more. It just has the right look and condition. No interest in that burgundy car.

Last edited by burnout88; 10-17-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:53 AM
Supreme Member

I still like the black one more. It just has the right look and condition. No interest that burgundy car.
the burgundy one does have the 5.7 though and the conditions are close .. in not a fan of the burgundy color so the black one wins in that category
Old 10-17-2018, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

the burgundy one does have the 5.7 though and the conditions are close .. in not a fan of the burgundy color so the black one wins in that category
i realize it’s a 5.7 ttop car which is a great combo, but with that color and interior combo and I just don’t like the car.

This is going to sound weird but I also like the unquieness of the 15inch aluminum wheels and LO3 motor on the black car. It’s just neat to see a base Iroc car since there are so few of them. It’s like a conversation piece car.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

This is going to sound weird but I also like the unquieness of the 15inch aluminum wheels and LO3 motor on the black car. It’s just neat to see a base Iroc car since there are so few of them. It’s like a conversation piece car.
We're on the same page, Brian. I know that the first thing some folks would do is replace the 15 inchers with 16" IROC, I'd definitely keep them and for the same reason you mention.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

I kind of like having these discussions in the History/Originality section because I see them since I look at this section the most. I've picked up quite a few bits of information I didn't know by having some of the more informed members point out some details that added to or detracted from the car.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by irvan
I kind of like having these discussions in the History/Originality section because I see them since I look at this section the most. I've picked up quite a few bits of information I didn't know by having some of the more informed members point out some details that added to or detracted from the car.
Same here!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

I like this car a lot! I would like it better in the black color scheme of the L03 car since I already have a flame red one..

I’m not super keen on the gold with that paint since the gold flake in the paint is just too much gold and gives it a brown look sometimes.. but it’s a good car and price IMO.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Supreme Member

More pics here of the 5.7... a lil’ rusty under there.. not the worst, not the best..

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2137388.html
Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 IROC T-Top
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73

A physical inspection before purchasing would be prudent...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by flippermtc
A physical inspection before purchasing would be prudent...
Yes. This has been an Illinois car all it's life, southern Illinois, but still Illinois. I'd be interested to see the undercarriage.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Lot's Of Rust On Those Floorboards,Very Rusty Everywhere.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gt4373

Yeah.. I liked it until I saw that..
Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gt4373

The *****!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ

Yeah.. I liked it until I saw that..

Typical rust belt, "rust free" floorpans.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like there is a lot of paint under the rust. The darkest spots are rust, the rest looks like it's mostly staining on top of the factory coating. Some of it would clean up, some could be slowed significantly by remediation. None of it looks fatal. Still, I'd have to be in love with it to deal with the corrosion.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Same Car,They Want $1495 More In The Hemmings Ad

Old 10-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

if your looking for a base camaro here is a 1988 camaro sc with 19,000 miles for 7500.00 .. says like new
https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/...719763360.html
Old 10-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Someone is going to see the black car tomorrow. It's a 40 year old son who wants to buy it as a gift for his dad who had a black '89 IROC back in the day.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

That’s burgundy again. Besides not near as cool as the base Iroc.

Quick Reply: Clean "base" '89 IROC-Z