Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear Cargo Shade not rolling up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73
Rear Cargo Shade not rolling up

I just put a rear cargo shade in my car. It pulls out fine and everything, but it wont roll back up by itself. Is there any way that I can fix this problem?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?
Re: Rear Cargo Shade not rolling up

it works like an old fashion window shade . first make sure it's installed correct side up and hooked to rear hatch . then push one side in and release from holder , just one side . rotate plastic slotted sleeve towards front of car . if spring is not broken you should start to feel tension . check roll-up after a couple of turns , re-adjust till it fully rolls up . don't get carried away , the least tension that works the better . check it for a couple of times till you get it to your taste . i took mine out several times to wash & re-dye fabric . easy fix . good luck .
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These darn things alway break.I wish there was a reproduction company that did them for the industry.The Mustang ones do the same thing.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
it works like an old fashion window shade . first make sure it's installed correct side up and hooked to rear hatch . then push one side in and release from holder , just one side . rotate plastic slotted sleeve towards front of car . if spring is not broken you should start to feel tension . check roll-up after a couple of turns , re-adjust till it fully rolls up . don't get carried away , the least tension that works the better . check it for a couple of times till you get it to your taste . i took mine out several times to wash & re-dye fabric . easy fix . good luck .
Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

I tried that but it still won't roll up at all. Is there anything else it could be?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

if you tried what i suggested , you may have a broken spring . can't help you on a repair . may need to get another shade . good luck .
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

I tried to ask on a different thread but got nothing there so I will try here. I installed the shade from scratch. Now on the rear plastic the factory had cut outs so I installed it there after cutting them out but,the mounts twist when I go to set the spring tension. How can I keep them from twisting? is there a little trick that somebody here has used to keep them solid. Other than that it works and I did get it for a great deal, I paid a total of 60 dollars for the whole setup.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Originally Posted by kd5icr
I tried to ask on a different thread but got nothing there so I will try here. I installed the shade from scratch. Now on the rear plastic the factory had cut outs so I installed it there after cutting them out but,the mounts twist when I go to set the spring tension. How can I keep them from twisting? is there a little trick that somebody here has used to keep them solid. Other than that it works and I did get it for a great deal, I paid a total of 60 dollars for the whole setup.
Do you have the factory mounts on the body?

Or are you meaning the shade itself??

PM me your email & I can send some pics of the factory body mounts if that would help.

(edit )
It would be around 8PM central time, when I get home from work.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Do you have the factory mounts on the body?

Or are you meaning the shade itself??

PM me your email & I can send some pics of the factory body mounts if that would help.

(edit )
It would be around 8PM central time, when I get home from work.
That would be the plastic mounts on either side the shade itself is fine, it looks like there is a steel brace behind the plastic were they screw into in order to keep them from spining . I found a thread that was started a few days ago and another poster put up photos of how to mount everything. Thanks for the offer.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Did you screw the mounting disc on?The 2 screws should hold the mount inplace & keep it from rotating.The brace has the holes for the screws.

Also the factory holes have notch/s on the plastic trim.Which line up with a step/s on the mounting discs.The mounts are NOT symetrical.They are marked RH/LH.RH has two small steps,LH has one big step.The mounting discs should have 4 rubber bumpers each.Along with a clip on the back side which faces downward.

If the mounting discs are on the wrong side and/or the bumpers are missing.The shade may not roll up properly.This is because when the shade is installed, it is slightly squeezed together.Making it about 1/8 shorter.This causes the tension to release allowing the shade to roll up when the hatch is closed.

I dont know if all 3rd gens have the braces, regardless, but w/out them the plastic trim may spread out when the shade is installed &/or if/when you screwed the disc, thereby forcing the mounts into the gap where the brace would be.Instead of the braces holding the mounting disc from spreading.

Basically if the space between the mounts is just a 1/8 of an inch too wide.The shade will not be compressed enough to release the tension & in turn not roll up properly.This is of course if the internals are not broken as already mentioned above.

At least this was the issue with mine.Thought it was the shade.Turned out the mounts were too far apart.Maybe age or warpage caused it...dont know, but i solved it by placing some double sided foam tape in the sqaure (on the mount) the shade locates into.Two layers of tape in each square did the trick.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Did you screw the mounting disc on?The 2 screws should hold the mount inplace & keep it from rotating.The brace has the holes for the screws.

Also the factory holes have notch/s on the plastic trim.Which line up with a step/s on the mounting discs.The mounts are NOT symetrical.They are marked RH/LH.RH has two small steps,LH has one big step.The mounting discs should have 4 rubber bumpers each.Along with a clip on the back side which faces downward.

If the mounting discs are on the wrong side and/or the bumpers are missing.The shade may not roll up properly.This is because when the shade is installed, it is slightly squeezed together.Making it about 1/8 shorter.This causes the tension to release allowing the shade to roll up when the hatch is closed.

I dont know if all 3rd gens have the braces, regardless, but w/out them the plastic trim may spread out when the shade is installed &/or if/when you screwed the disc, thereby forcing the mounts into the gap where the brace would be.Instead of the braces holding the mounting disc from spreading.

Basically if the space between the mounts is just a 1/8 of an inch too wide.The shade will not be compressed enough to release the tension & in turn not roll up properly.This is of course if the internals are not broken as already mentioned above.

At least this was the issue with mine.Thought it was the shade.Turned out the mounts were too far apart.Maybe age or warpage caused it...dont know, but i solved it by placing some double sided foam tape in the sqaure (on the mount) the shade locates into.Two layers of tape in each square did the trick.
Thats were I messed up. I didnt see the backing plate.I did cut them out but I didnt think about that. So I used something different. I am going out tuesday after work and do it. And at worst I will have to fab up some brakets. I wont know untill I pull the plastic out of the way.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

try john in ri has alot of them