Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

climate control help

Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi
climate control help

Hey everyone

I searched but couldn't find any threads about a similar problem.

Basically, the other day my car was acting funny. It didn't seem to be driving right at all, like it was missing or something. It went away, but then I discovered a new problem: I had lost my climate control.

and I don't mean like it's stuck on defrost. There's nothing but a small hissing noise when I move it to defrost. Doesn't blow any air whatsoever. I can't even hear the blower motor running.

Is there a fuse or relay that could be bad? or could the blower motor be bad? I figured if it was just vacuum lines, I would still get defrost. I don't get anything at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

DanJz
Old 07-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: climate control help

do you have both windows down - you get plenty of climate control then.
there is a fuse for it. by your left foot.
do you hear the panels open and close when you move from heat to vent and defraust? at times if you have been under the passenger dash side you can disconnect the springs that move it open and closed. can you get vent even without the air on?
ok here is another one. that little screw that you turn - it is supposed to click back and forth to go from one setting to another - well it wears out and you have to turn the thing with a screw driver.
if you can do that but only have on and off - then the switch mechanism needs replacing.
those are a few of the problems that can cause it.
oh i forgot - there is also a bunch of vaccume hoses behind the devise, they can come unpluged.
good luck
Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM

haha I had to put the windows down today, which wasn't fun because it was raining :/

I will have to check that fuse.

I don't really hear any panels opening or closing when I move the ****. The only thing I hear is a "hisssssss" for a few seconds when I move it to defrost. Otherwise it's just the little clicking-ish noise the lever makes when you move it through each position. I do believe I hear it switching from the dash vents to the defrost vents, more or less, if that's what you mean.

I will have to crawl under the dash maybe tomorrow when it's not raining and see if there's anything under there that looks broken. I'll have to check the vacuum lines too, to see if maybe something came unplugged that would prevent the blower motor from even turning on.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

if you hear the vents changing position then that is not it.
when you turn the air *** you hearing clicking but do you get air?
could be the machinery behind the **** is not working. if someone turned it real hard it can quit working.
pull the air **** straight out and take a pair of needle nose pliers and if you can make it turn on and off - that is your problem.
you can leave it permanently on, just turn the air one when you need it and turn the heat on when you need it. the fan will not run until you turn on the air, vent or heater/defroster.
easy to do.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM

well it's not so much the "low-med-hi" **** that's the problem really. It's the "Off-Max A/C-Normal-vent-defrost" lever above the cold-hot lever that I'm worried might not be working. No matter which position that switch is in, no air blows through the car. It could be on Max A/C on that lever and the **** all the way on "hi" and no air will be blowing out. I haven't messed with that **** though at all, so that is a good point.

I hardly ever actually use the **** since I usually keep it on hi, but I will check that anyway. It could just be a freak thing that it got turned too hard or something maybe. So I'll give that a shot and see if it does anything
Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

If you are having issues with the engine still at the same time, my guess would be vacuum lines. If they become disconnected from the A/C controller (the back of it), then basically you now have a vacuum leak to the engine as well, causing a non-optimal tuning issue. Take that controller off the dash and see what's going on behind it with the vacuum lines.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 PM

My friend and I are going to take a look at it tomorrow. We'll be sure to pull the controller and check vacuum lines and everything. I forgot that the vacuum leak in the climate control could cause the engine to run rough.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Well my friend and I took a quick look at things today. We didn't get a chance to check the vacuum lines, but we've just about narrowed it down to a blower problem since I moved the conrols to "hot" and "vent" and I could feel heat in the vents on the drive home, meaning the controls work and the blower just isn't blowing, I think
Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah - you should hear the blower motor run.

I'd still check those vacuum lines, and check the vacuum line on the heater diverter valve as well. The heater diverter valve is under the hood - looks kinda like a UFO on top, and has 2-3 heater hoses running in and out of it. What it does is when you switch the controls to heat, the heater controls opens a vacuum line that runs to the diverter - this vacuum opens a valve in the diverter that allows the hot water from the radiator to circulate through the heater core. When the valve is closed (ie controls set on cool side), the valve keeps the hot water from running through the heater core, thus reducing the amount of heat in the cabin.

Alot of us remove the heater diverter valve to clean up the engine bay - but we then have hot water circulating through the heater core all the time. To keep it or not is preference - but if it's there, make sure that vacuum line is not torn or loose or anything. AND - check all the other vacuum lines as well, in an effort to ensure that's not any issue causing your engine rough running problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Hey everyone

I haven't had time to get any real work done on fixing the HVAC blower problem (school starting, health issues, etc.).

But I was thinking, if the blower motor quit working, would it maybe throw a code? or if it was vacuum lines or the diverter valve, would that throw a code? I haven't had any codes thrown at all, and the car runs absolutely fine. It's just no blower. That leads me to believe it's the blower motor itself or maybe the resistor.

Just thought of it, so I figured I'd put it up
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

A vacuum leak wouldn't necessarily make a code, but if your engine is still running fine now, you are probably ok on the vacuum - sounds like just a blower motor problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:35 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It seems to make the most sense. Hopefully it's a piece of cake to replace. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA

I believe my blower motor may have taken a dump on me as well. Everything was working fine yesterday, then when I went out last night, the blower wasn't working at all. After I drove for about 10 minutes, it suddenly kicked on and continued working fine for the rest of the night. Now it's not working again today. I'm guessing there's either a short in the wiring, or perhaps the blower motor is just dead now.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Hi Guys
I've had the same problems a few years ago.
For the blower motor check the ground cable to the motor is good.
It may be rusty or oxidised.
If you clean that (located on the back of the motor and very easy to get too) and it works, that's your issue.
If you bang lightly on the back of the motor itself to get it spinning it's time for a new one.

The heater vaccum controls.
There is a small vaccumm line that runs up to the firewall on the drivers side.
It slips onto a small tube and below is a bigger hose coming out.
This monitors the vaccum to the engine.
Check this small hose has'nt come off or is damaged.
You will loose all control to your heater vaccum controls if this is so.

One other thing whilst i'm here.
Is it normal to hear a light hissing noise from behind the heater controls when switching off the engine?(1982 Trans Am 4bbl)
If not i must have a loose hose or split line to the rear of my controls too.

Hope this helps.................Kevin

Last edited by knight2; 09-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z/Z28
Engine: 5.7L/350 cu. in. V8
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt 2.77 posi

Help please! I am looking for a vacuum vent control for my '89 IROC-Z. This is for the climate control system that operates: AC, heater, defrost, and vent. The problem I am trying to solve is a 5-10 min. delay when I slide the lever to "vent". It takes 5-10 min. for the air to come out of the instrumental dash vents. The air first comes out of the defroster. GM stopped making the vacuum vent control and Classic Industries down in Long Beach , CA does not sell one. I am going to try Hemmings next, but I thought I would also try here. Description of vacuum vent control: round, black piece of plastic that has five probes extending from it. Red, orange, purple, blue, & gray colored vacuum lines. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by GraigMuller
Help please! I am looking for a vacuum vent control for my '89 IROC-Z. This is for the climate control system that operates: AC, heater, defrost, and vent. The problem I am trying to solve is a 5-10 min. delay when I slide the lever to "vent".
The part is listed on GMPartsDirect part number 16032395.

BTW, you might try putting the slider on Max or Normal for a couple of seconds. Once the air is blowing correctly, switch to vent.

BTW x 2, there is a fix for the piece:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...anent-fix.html

JamesC