Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Alternative ways to open the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Firebird + '06 Charger R/T
Engine: Firebird 3.1L V6
Transmission: Firebird Automatic
Alternative ways to open the hatch?

I'm looking for an alternative way to open my 92 Firebird's hatch. I guess my main concern is what will happen if the motor ever fails? I've seen numerous posts about climbing into the back, taking a screw driver and opening the hatch that way... but what if the panel is put on? In my car, the hatch has to be open in order to remove the panel to access the hatch assembly.

I'm only asking because the key hole will be covered (this will be a KITT replica) and the only way to take the cover off will to be with the hatch open.

So, I ask, what do I do if the hatch won't open?

Has anybody rigged some interior trips to open the hatch?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Alternative ways to open the hatch?

You are correct - you cannot remove the interior plastic to pop the hatch manually from the inside with the hatch shut. I also see many folks suggesting such, but never heard of anyone actually doing it (without destroying the interior plastic).

Do the birds have the "glove box" in the rear driver side like the maro's? If so, maybe you could rig a steel cable, though a couple eyelets that comes to a handle in the "glove box" as an emergency crawl into the back of the car devise. You should be able to open the "glove box" with the hatch closed.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

If you have the light cutout in the rear hatch panel simply pop that out and give a tug on the release cable.Works in junkyard cars all the time
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 PM

I do have the glove box on the driver side rear. But I'm curious, since the release turns the other way, wouldn't that be awkward setup? But, nevertheless, I've never thought about that before, and that would be a good way to maintain the integrety of the panels AND be there in the event of a motor failure.

I also have the light cutout -- and that could be a very very simple fix. I'm a big guy, but I have crawled back there when the panel was off to pop the hatch with a pair of pliers... so if I could get that light panel out, I could probably do the exact same thing...............
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

92 has no key for the trunk?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 PM

no no, there is a key for the trunk, but the hole will be covered by a blackout that can't be taken off unless the hatch is open -- so that pretty much cancels the use of the key out.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Your screwed then, id just drill a hole for the lock, use some tiny hose split for a edge ring......

cause youll end up ripping them or the rear apart if it does die.

or like a FP door, build a door into the rear plastic over the lock.

cut 1 slot for bottom, then screw on a hinge, then cut top and put on a turn latch, then cut sides.

will fit the best that way, u can never hold stuff n do it later better.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Oh wait I see its a KITT build, don't be a cheap azz and replace the motor and all its parts with new. [motor, gears, cable, track slides, new grease] Your spending loot as is, why skimp on the small things. It will then work for 20+ years.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI

it could still die (hopefully not for a while) putting a new one in it
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I'd rather open it when it fails, then replace it all. C'mon... economy man! :-)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by my82roc
If you have the light cutout in the rear hatch panel simply pop that out and give a tug on the release cable.Works in junkyard cars all the time
This is exactly what I did! I was able to open the hatch from the interior in an emergency situation, and that's exactly what I did. Yessssssssssssssss! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 753 Likes on 510 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

1st off I don't condone another KITT replica ... waaay 2 many unfinished cars out there! My 2cents nothing more! lol
That being said, why not remove the factory lock and trim a hole in your interior plastic just like the one in the metal body? Its cable operated so you have some play on where it goes..
This way you could climb back there with your key and open the hatch like you do from the outside?? Also hit up the junk yard and grab a lock to put back in your factory lock to seal the hole..
Also the 92s dont seem to have the problems with the motors like the earlier cars, better design..

If you dont have factory ground FX on your car I may buy your front bumper cover if its in very nice shape..PM me
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350
1st off I don't condone another KITT replica ... waaay 2 many unfinished cars out there! My 2cents nothing more! lol
That being said, why not remove the factory lock and trim a hole in your interior plastic just like the one in the metal body? Its cable operated so you have some play on where it goes..
This way you could climb back there with your key and open the hatch like you do from the outside?? Also hit up the junk yard and grab a lock to put back in your factory lock to seal the hole..
Also the 92s dont seem to have the problems with the motors like the earlier cars, better design..

If you dont have factory ground FX on your car I may buy your front bumper cover if its in very nice shape..PM me
Hey -- I'm sorry you don't condone another KITT build, unfortuntely a KITT build is the way it's going to be -- there are my 2 cents and nothing more. LOL!!

I like that idea of putting the lock in the back. Real smoooth.

Here's my issue, which I didn't bring up because I wanted a way other than using the key. My key doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore. It turns a little over 90 degrees, which it should, but it doesn't pop the lock. I thought maybe something happened to the cable, so I replaced it, and it still won't open. So I figure maybe something failed in the factory lock.

I see that I can get a replacement lock with keys for about 30 bucks. So, if I do this, which I might think I will eventually.... I'll just leave the busted one in the tails and order a new one for the interior install. Hmmmmm..............
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bdawg23
Hey -- I'm sorry you don't condone another KITT build, unfortuntely a KITT build is the way it's going to be -- there are my 2 cents and nothing more. LOL!!

I like that idea of putting the lock in the back. Real smoooth.

Here's my issue, which I didn't bring up because I wanted a way other than using the key. My key doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore. It turns a little over 90 degrees, which it should, but it doesn't pop the lock. I thought maybe something happened to the cable, so I replaced it, and it still won't open. So I figure maybe something failed in the factory lock.

I see that I can get a replacement lock with keys for about 30 bucks. So, if I do this, which I might think I will eventually.... I'll just leave the busted one in the tails and order a new one for the interior install. Hmmmmm..............
His point is 10 people a week show up and say they are gonna built a KITT, but few rarely spend the money to finish the project right and it just ends up a waste.

And your already cutting corners cheaping out on a hatch motor

Just wait till ya find out the prices for a KITT dash loaded with all the real parts. Not just a sticker that looks like a CRT TV on the dash.