Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Modify stock seat Seat-backs to lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 7004R
Axle/Gears: 3.27/42 ?
Modify stock seat Seat-backs to lock

Hi all,

I haven’t found a thread on this since it seems most upgrade their seats to newer styles but my seats are in really good condition, quite comfy, and I would like to keep a stock look. So question is:

Is there anyway to setup my seat backs to lock?

From the owners manual, it seems they only lock under very drastic stops (accidents), however, semi-drastic stops (spirited driving through mountain roads) cause the seat backs to move forward a bit with me and I would like to fix this by getting them to lock somehow.

Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Modify stock seat Seat-backs to lock

Take a set of recline mechanisms from a 4th gen and bolt them to your 3rd gen seats.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Take a set of recline mechanisms from a 4th gen and bolt them to your 3rd gen seats.
oh wow! I’ve seen 4th gen seats are bolt one but can I remove my seats and just bolt them onto a 4th gen mechanism and bolt that setup back in my 3rd gen?

do you know if there’s any threads on this?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

4th gen seats are generally just a slightly modified version of thirdgen seats. Take the plastic covers off the hinge next to the recline lever, there are two bolts on the bottom, two more on the top, and the recline mechanism/spring/lever, etc will all come off it one piece. 4th gen piece should bolt right on. No need to even remove the seats from the car.

Of course I'm assuming they're the same bolt pattern. They could be slightly different, but I doubt it.

Or try this.. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ml#post6228373
Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
4th gen seats are generally just a slightly modified version of thirdgen seats. Take the plastic covers off the hinge next to the recline lever, there are two bolts on the bottom, two more on the top, and the recline mechanism/spring/lever, etc will all come off it one piece. 4th gen piece should bolt right on. No need to even remove the seats from the car.

Of course I'm assuming they're the same bolt pattern. They could be slightly different, but I doubt it.

Or try this.. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ml#post6228373
Nice! Sounds like there’s a solution then. I’ll probably go to the junkyards and find the 4th gen mechanisms. Do you know if they’re still pretty available at the junk yards? I live by a few pick n pulls but don’t really ever look at the 4th gens.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am

Have a look at my post on this thread for an easy solution. First post on here after 10 years of lurking, who'd have thought I'd get the chance to use it again so soon

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ever-lock.html

edit, just noticed already linked. You can probably see why I'm not a prolific poster :-)

Last edited by Firebrewed; 06-18-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Firebrewed
Have a look at my post on this thread for an easy solution. First post on here after 10 years of lurking, who'd have thought I'd get the chance to use it again so soon

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ever-lock.html

edit, just noticed already linked. You can probably see why I'm not a prolific poster :-)
thanks Firebrewed! I seen it but I thought “how’s a hair clip going to hold up over time, or even if I accidentally forget that I have a lock mechanism and I push the seat forward” also... I thought about how the 4th gen setup may still let us move the seats forward in a conventional manner vs removing a clip. What do you think ?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am

It's been on mine 5 years now so seems to be holding up pretty good.

The clip isn't doing the locking, it simply holds the little weight which activates the lock in the forward position so the seat acts like its at a steep angle all the time. You don't remove the clip to move the seat back just lift the lever in the usual way and the weight is pushed back against the clip releasing the lock.

You could always have a go, if you're not convinced go the 4th gen route. We can't easily find US car parts here so sometimes you just have to make stuff work so my choices were a bit more limited than yours. Either way, hope you get sorted.

Cheers, Gary

Last edited by Firebrewed; 06-18-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Firebrewed
It's been on mine 5 years now so seems to be holding up pretty good.

The clip isn't doing the locking, it simply holds the little weight which activates the lock in the forward position so the seat acts like its at a steep angle all the time. You don't remove the clip to move the seat back just lift the lever in the usual way and the weight is pushed back against the clip releasing the lock.

You could always have a go, if you're not convinced go the 4th gen route. We can't easily find US car parts here so sometimes you just have to make stuff work so my choices were a bit more limited than yours. Either way, hope you get sorted.

Cheers, Gary
Wow, ok! That makes sense ... In that case, all my concerns aren’t real... ok! I’ll give it a try and see how it goes!! Thanks a ton!