LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

URGENT LT1 ENGINE SWAP Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
URGENT LT1 ENGINE SWAP Info Needed

Current Engine: L03 5.0L V8 w/ 700R4 in my 1991 Bird.

Just for the record about 48 hours ago I knew nothing about engines, let alone a LT1. With that in mind I'm going to attempt to seem like I know what I'm talking about based on the countless things I've read. Also I'm hoping to soon learn.

Anyways I'm wondering if I got my hands on an LT1 with ECM & Harness if there was anything else I'd need for my swap. I would want to put some better parts on her, but say I just got that and hooked it up to my 700R4 4A.

Items I read I need for transmission Hook up:
1. 93 Throttle Bracket
2. 93 T/V Cable
3. 93 Throttle Body or Stud Bolted to TB, Lock-up kit.
^^^Is this true/is there anything else I need? How much is that in parts? New &/or used?

Basically my question is do I need anything else than what is listed above if I just wanted to do a stock LT1 swap? Or is there a lot I'm missing about the swap?

Can I use the computer that is in my car now, etc?

I've attached a few pics of the engine. Looks really clean, and has good compression in the cylinders (205-210) or at least I read that it was good compression ratio (10.4:1). lol.

The asking price is $1500 (came out of a 96 TA)...is that to high, or a decent asking price? Either way what would be a good offering price? I've seen a few of the LT1 engines going for $1000-$1150. Any questions I should have other than miles on her? I don't want to get ripped off since I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for the quick reply's!

Also please no arguments about how I should use the T56 6M. I want that, but do to a car accident I was in (some *** totaled my first 91 Firebird) its really hard on my left leg/knee with the clutch. Also I don't want to fork out the money for the 4L60/E as I'm not looking to built a race car, just something with a little power I can have fun in. Just so you know where my mindset is currently.

Last edited by Hellion; 10-26-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: URGENT LT1 ENGINE SWAP Info Needed

Originally Posted by Hellion
Can I use the computer that is in my car now, etc?]
No .
need ECM and harness to suit LT1

read

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...questions.html
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM

It comes with the ECM and Harness. So would I have what I need then? (I am going to read through the link you gave me now). Thanks.

What about the price, how much should be my top dollar?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

What about the price, how much should be my top dollar?
Ring other local suppliers , look on eBay for a price guideline
Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 AM

It's hard for me to say because I've seen people say that they got an LT1 for $150, $650, $1200??? Why such the big differences? I just don't know enough to know what it's really worth.

Also would the 96 TA LT1 be difficult to wire up?
Is there a wiring guide that shows you step by step for the 96 harness even for someone who knows nothing about wiring or engines?
Can I purchase/use a 93 harness with the 96 LT1 engine? Will this make wiring easy(ier)?
Are any of the LT1's easy for this type of swap (LT1 700r4) concerning wiring?

The reason I ask is because when I mentioned "Wiring Harness" my dad was pretty much like "hell no". He's worked on cars for over 30 but he is an auto body guy, not a mechanic...does it take a long time to wire this up to the third gen? Do you have to tear open the dash or anything crazy like that? What would it cost to have someone else wire it up?

I've looked for hours and done a lot of research both on and off this site, so please if you have answers let me know in stead of directing me to something I've probably at this point already see/read through. It either didn't have what I was looking for, or I didn't get it I guess. I'm so but I don't want to give up simply because I don't understand...

Also how fast do you think this will sell?

Last edited by Hellion; 10-27-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Supreme Member

I've seen people say that they got an LT1 for $150, $650,
Why such the big differences?
Were they running or just rebuilders?

if you have answers let me know in stead of directing me to something I've probably at this point already see/read through.... or I didn't get it I guess.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...g-dummies.html
the answers are all there ;
if you don't understand then you are probably out of your depth as far as wiring it up

You have to integrate the new LT1 wiring with the wiring already in your car , unless you buy a standalone engine only harness

Can I purchase/use a 93 harness with the 96 LT1 engine?
You could ( would need 93 ECM ) but you wouldn't want to because 92-93 LT1 is worst version because of limited supply of ECM's that seem to be going bad lately
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all your help. I don't personally understand a lot about engines yet, but my dad does know enough about engines that I think he could do the swap. If I needed to pay someone else to just to the wiring part of the install what would I be looking at in labor?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350

My advice is to read, read, read as much as possible. There are books out there that may also help you. A book helps because once you are into the swap, you don't wanna be running back and forth to the computer.

That said, the best way to figure it out is to jump in feet first. You will learn 10x as much by simply DOING it.

The wiring seems intimidating, but it really isn't. First, match the PCM and harness to the year model. Just makes things easier. Then send it off to have it modified to fit your car. Should cost around $300. Once you get it back with all the unneeded wiring removed and the wires you need to hook up labeled and identified, all it takes it wiring them to where they need to go. There are only a few wires that you will need to use to make the engine run. The others you will need are for your gauges and ODB connector. If memory serves me correctly, there were a total of 11 wires to hook up. I installed a fuse panel in the engine bay for things like the PCM power, fuel pump relay and cooling fan relay to keep things neat and orderly. Comes in handy for future power requirements too.

It was much more of a pain for me to get the engine to fit into my 2nd gen than it was to get it wired. I had to notch the subframe, modify an engine mount, re-angle a header, have the driveshaft shortened, etc... The wiring took me two days, only because I took my time and made things neat.

My engine/trans/pcm/harness package cost me $1100 two years ago. It was a 64k mile 96 z28 LT1/4l60e set up. The entire swap cost around $3k, including the engine package.

Just do it. Get the motor and get to swapping. You can do it.

I am going to do the LT1 swap into my 3rd gen next, when time and money allows. I enjoyed the first one so much I have to do it again!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

i just did the swap in april-july... i paid $600 for the complete LT1 with harness and ECM.

things you need for the swap:

Redo harness to integrate with thirdgen body (do it yourself or pay someone like "Pocket" to do the job, its a big job)

Exhaust.. you need to figure that part out, use headers.. fab exhaust

Fuel lines, need to make them

Power steering lines.. need to make them.

Keeping the A/C?? need to notch the K-member ro ditch the A/C

Need to make A/C lines

Going to use your thirdgen radiator? need new hoses

Fab air cleaner set up.. you can use a TPI air box but its not optimal

throttle cables.. you need an LT1 or TPI throttle cable and bracket

hope this helps.. there are some other things that need to be done too but right now i really cant remember them all..

if you want to see my pictures, search my name in the swap section..
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Thanks for all your help. I don't personally understand a lot about engines yet, but my dad does know enough about engines that I think he could do the swap. If I needed to pay someone else to just to the wiring part of the install what would I be looking at in labor?
you need the 2 engine harnesses, complete, send "Pocket" and private message.. he'll quote prices
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies! As far as power is concerned what would be the difference (compared to the LT1) in replacing my 305 with a 350 (sounds like a much simpler swap/is something my dad already knows how to do) and building it up with better parts from there? I'm only looking to get about 300hp +/-. I'm not going to be hot rodding around, or racing (maybe some drag racing just for fun/not to be a real competitor).

I've just done a lot to the interior and exterior of my car, and wanted to spruce up whats under the hood to complete the project/look. Doing everything I've done to the car seems like a waste to not do anything to/with stock 305. Also if I swapped the 305 for the 350 (I'm really leaning towards this) what could I get out of selling the 305? It only has 84,XXXmi. and runs great, I just want something with more power (obviously).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Car: 79' LT1 olds cutlass/ 87' IROC
Transmission: T-5

if you already have the LT1, just put it in. the swap is pretty easy. the motor is a direct bolt in, the hard part is wiring. if you get a caprice/ impala wire harness you literally hookup one constant power source and one keyed power source. and then connect the fuel lines and the motor will fire. the tv cable linkage is pretty easy. i just put in my own stud in the bracket ( free) just make sure the geometry is right. aside from that you might need to reprogram the pcm to delete the vats system as well as the 4l60e tranny function.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

For $1500 that LT1 better come with a trans, harness, PCM and all accessories. You can buy running LT1 4th gens for $2000-2500. Whats up with the brand new manifolds with rusty everything else?

Also keep in mind the LT1 PCM cannot control the 700R4/4L60. You need a vacuum switch from BTO or similar to engage lock-up. Its not required, but advised to swap the gear driven VSS in the old trans for one from a junkyard 4L60E, some people say they found a conversion factor the PCM will accept, others not so much. All in all its easier to just use a 94-97 4L60E than try to use the old trans

The $2-400 you'll save from finding the new trans will be dried up with conversion parts to get the old trans working
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by thedoctorisin
if you already have the LT1, just put it in. the swap is pretty easy. the motor is a direct bolt in, the hard part is wiring. if you get a caprice/ impala wire harness you literally hookup one constant power source and one keyed power source. and then connect the fuel lines and the motor will fire. the tv cable linkage is pretty easy. i just put in my own stud in the bracket ( free) just make sure the geometry is right. aside from that you might need to reprogram the pcm to delete the vats system as well as the 4l60e tranny function.
would you know off hand what 2 wires they are. ... I think I just over thinking it.

would you know off hand what wire you put power to...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Ratio, Torsen LSD

That's a terrible price. I got my Lt1 for $500 delivered. It included the pcm and transmission (I did have to buy a wire harness separate).
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Originally Posted by Iceship
would you know off hand what 2 wires they are. ... I think I just over thinking it.

would you know off hand what wire you put power to...
Not very easy on a B-body harness with the integrated fuseblock. That harness is pretty messy from the factory
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 AM

Car: 86 Trans am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi

Originally Posted by thedoctorisin
hate to thread jack, but i had questions on the caprice harness, i am assuming that the two wires are online to fire the engine, like a stand alone harness and that everything else will still need wired ie gauges. Does anyone have experience with caprice harness, are they much different than an fbody harness. im trying to swap in a 95 caprice LT1/4L60E and harness
Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Ratio, Torsen LSD

First off I recommend you make your own thread and post your questions there, you may get better resiults. Secondly I used a caprice harness for my swap so I should be able to answer your questions.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Car: 1986 camaro iroc
Engine: About to do a lt1 swap on it
Transmission: 4l60e

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y
you need the 2 engine harnesses, complete, send "Pocket" and private message.. he'll quote prices
How do I get a hold of Pocket?