LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

4th gen plastic fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
4th gen plastic fuel tank

This is a different kind of post. I would definitely recommend that anyone wanting to do a 4th gen tank for an LSx swap, and are on the fence, to just do it. Additionally, don't bother with the corvette filter and all those fittings etc. If you get the tank with the plastic and metal lines, and the "T" block, you can use all those, the 4th gen filter and it will screw directly onto the 3rd gen hard fuel line (if you have a fuel injected car, TPI at least). I am running it just like a 4th gen, "returnless". the only thing I had to do was modify the 3rd gen bracket to hold the 4th gen filter parallel to the car instead of perpendicular.

Two weekends ago I ran my car at NJMP for the Ultimate Street car series. My car is a 92 Firebird, with a 4.8 and T56. The 4.8 is basically stock, except for the car intake, injectors and I made the exhaust just like a stock TPI car, crossing under the oil pan over to the right side of the car, using stock 4th gen exhaust manifolds. I trailered my car there, and I had driven to work a few times that week, so the tank was about 70 miles down from full. On Saturday I drove the autocross 9-10 times, and then did the road rally which was around 140 miles. Sunday I did the Speed/Stop a LOT, maybe 20 times, and I did 3 sessions out on the road course. I did all of that without buying any fuel, and I was running the last session on the road course with the tank under the 1/4 mark, and I didn't have one hiccup or stumble. I couldn't believe how well the factory fuel system worked. One of the other thirdgens was low on fuel during the day, I think just over or around 1/4 tank, and he was having fueling issues so he had to put some in.
After the race I parked the car in the driveway and the battery died while I was away to Idaho. Yesterday I let the car idle for about 20 minutes, then in the evening I drove across town, to get some take out and sat in the drive through to let the battery charge some more, and was gone ~45 minutes in total. This morning I put gas in the car, I had to, it actually stalled when I made a moderate brake to a stop sign. I put 16 gallons in. In total I got 234 miles on the tank for an average of 14 mpg, lol. When I usually get 320-360, which is around 20-21 for mostly around town, no highway miles but a lot of driving 25-45 mph to work and few stops in traffic.
This is just a testament on how well thought out, the newer fuel bucket systems really perform. If you are thinking about getting one, I would definitely recommend. Don't have to worry about rust, flexible fuel neck makes tank removal down the road easier and a fuel pump that is always submerged in fuel. The weight of the tank over steel is probably about the same though.

Last edited by scooter; 09-19-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Minirammed 385, 396 RWHP
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12-bolt
Re: 4th gen plastic fuel tank

I definitely will be doing this, Scooter. I signed onto the thirdgen board this morning actually looking for someone who could tell me how this swap worked out. Are you using a stock GM fuel pump in there?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

I have an early Racetronix pump that I bought years ago for my other swap, but that car had a fire. I pulled it out last year and it works well still, but I have heard there may be quality issues with the new ones.
If I were to buy another pump, I would look at the Aeromotive one, as long as it can be made to work with the venturi setup, otherwise I would do another Racetronix.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

[QUOTE=scooter;6169892]One of the other thirdgens was low on fuel during the day, I think just over or around 1/4 tank, and he was having fueling issues so he had to put some in.
That was me!! Yes indeed , once I put some fuel in, the issue was resolved.

This year I think I should drop the tank and put in a big pump (for when I do throw a big motor in the car next year)....wondering if I should swap to a gen tank like you suggest . perhaps !
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZman15

That was me!! Yes indeed , once I put some fuel in, the issue was resolved.

This year I think I should drop the tank and put in a big pump (for when I do throw a big motor in the car next year)....wondering if I should swap to a gen tank like you suggest . perhaps !
Doing the tank was very easy, I would go for it. Putting in a big pump won't help any if you're uncovering the pickup, or you could go to the pickups that sit on the bottom of the tank and can get almost every drop of fuel out of the tank http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html

I have them in the tank of my 73 Camaro, they work great too.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350 LSX
Engine: 5.3, 234/228 cam
Transmission: Stage II 4L60e, Vigilante 3200
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have a thread around here about this somewhere. I love the 4th gen tank, if you have a removable rear section on the exhaust, you can get the tank out in about 15 minutes. I used the 4th gen plastic lines, and a 4th gen filter, which screwed right on to the stock 3rd gen hard lines. I have a return system though, like the 97 vettes, so I cut the end off the return line and put a "fuel line repair kit" for the 4th gen lines on it. 5/16" I believe, then the 4th gen return line snapped right on to it.I even figured out the resistance values for the stock sender in the 4th gen tank, and replaced the resistors in the 3rd gen fuel gauge to read correctly.

Definitely a must have for just about every 3rd gen. I haven't come across a 3rd gen that didn't have a leaky, rusty metal tank.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by $750 L98
I have a thread around here about this somewhere. I love the 4th gen tank, if you have a removable rear section on the exhaust, you can get the tank out in about 15 minutes. I used the 4th gen plastic lines, and a 4th gen filter, which screwed right on to the stock 3rd gen hard lines. I have a return system though, like the 97 vettes, so I cut the end off the return line and put a "fuel line repair kit" for the 4th gen lines on it. 5/16" I believe, then the 4th gen return line snapped right on to it.I even figured out the resistance values for the stock sender in the 4th gen tank, and replaced the resistors in the 3rd gen fuel gauge to read correctly.

Definitely a must have for just about every 3rd gen. I haven't come across a 3rd gen that didn't have a leaky, rusty metal tank.
lol! Well, I doubt that I have a leaky, rusty tank in my 1984. However I do seem to have developed some sort of crack in-between the pump and the pickup, and this might by why I am now shopping for a new engine... I'll know for sure later this year when I remove the tank for the post-mortem analysis.

...and please do tell us! What *are* the resistor values necessary for adapting the fuel sender to the third-gen fuel gage?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 410 Likes on 261 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"

I installed a LS1 plastic tank for my LQ4 turbo build. Fit great. I had to cut 2" off the rubber fuel hose between the tank and 4th gen filler neck. I made a spacer mount to install the 4th gen filler neck in my '84 TA. Turned out pretty good.
I got a Squash Performance double pumper kit for the tank. It's was pricey but is a really nice piece. You can also have them install the correct fuel sensor to keep your stock gauge. I'm going to use -8an supply / -6an return with PTFE hose and Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

http://www.squashperformance.com/199...stem_p_44.html
Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

I would not recommend doing this if you plan on using the tank to the fullest extent since you lose the low fueling capabilities of it
Old 09-28-2017, 06:48 AM

For me, the important thing is to have good baffling around the pump pickup to reduce problems during cornering. I also want to convert to the returnless system for the upcoming LS swap.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

Clip/cut the sending unit wire at the old sending unit. Unclip the other end at the clip going into the interior of the car (do not cut this end).
Send the wire and the new sending unit to LonnieP at Lonnies Performance. He will do the resistor value conversion for you as plug and play.
I don't know the values myself if your DIY.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 PM

Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

What did they charge to change the resistor
Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
I think the stock 3rd gen sending unit is 0 - 90 Ohm range. You would want to swap out for a sending unit with that range.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post6390566

You also can change the resistors at the back of the stock fuel gage. The stock resistors in fuel gage are 82 Ohm and 22 Ohm. Here is a short writeup how I did it with my '89 Firebird. Edit: Doesn't work. Never has worked for anybody. It's an internet myth that needs to end.

Also, some aftermarket gages, such as Speedhut, allow you to select the type of sending unit so no need to change anything in that case.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 04-17-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I think the stock 3rd gen sending unit is 0 - 90 Ohm range. You would want to swap out for a sending unit with that range.

You also can change the resistors at the back of the stock fuel gage. The stock resistors in fuel gage are 82 Ohm and 22 Ohm. Here is a short writeup how I did it with my '89 Firebird.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post5968686

Also, some aftermarket gages, such as Speedhut, allow you to select the type of sending unit so no need to change anything in that case.
I went with complete speedhut gauges, was easy to set fuel tank levels with it.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

Originally Posted by battmann
I installed a LS1 plastic tank for my LQ4 turbo build. Fit great. I had to cut 2" off the rubber fuel hose between the tank and 4th gen filler neck. I made a spacer mount to install the 4th gen filler neck in my '84 TA. Turned out pretty good.
I got a Squash Performance double pumper kit for the tank. It's was pricey but is a really nice piece. You can also have them install the correct fuel sensor to keep your stock gauge. I'm going to use -8an supply / -6an return with PTFE hose and Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

http://www.squashperformance.com/199...stem_p_44.html
I have a leak in my home-made filler neck set up and I've never been able to just fill up the tank at full pressure from the gas station.

So you used a rubber 4th gen filler neck and attached the upper end to the 3rd gen filler neck near the fuel door?

It would be nice if this fixed my slow fueling issue... I hate gas spilling on to the paint.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

The rubber hose & fuel neck are both 4th gen pieces. I made a spacer to mount the filler neck using the existing bracket that is on the neck. Then I cut the rubber hose down to fit between the neck and tank. Here’s some pictures:

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

I made a spacer to mount the filler neck
Do you have a Camaro? I didn't need to use a spacer for my Firebird
Old 01-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
Do you have a Camaro? I didn't need to use a spacer for my Firebird
Do you have any pictures of what you did?
I have a Trans Am. If i didn't use the spacer the filler neck would rest on the bottom of the fuel door bucket. It's still not perfectly centered in the fuel door opening but I didn't want it rubbing. I purchased a new neck from Rock Auto. Maybe the geometry isn't exactly right??
Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Do you have any pictures of what you did?
I have a Trans Am. If i didn't use the spacer the filler neck would rest on the bottom of the fuel door bucket. It's still not perfectly centered in the fuel door opening but I didn't want it rubbing. I purchased a new neck from Rock Auto. Maybe the geometry isn't exactly right??
I don't, I did the same as you, but I didn't use the spacer, there was even a hole there that I used so I didn't have to drill. I will try to remember to take a picture of the filler. I think i just have it resting in the internal part, does't bother me, but it could just be bent slightly, or maybe I did bend it slightly. I don't remember now
Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
Clip/cut the sending unit wire at the old sending unit. Unclip the other end at the clip going into the interior of the car (do not cut this end).
Send the wire and the new sending unit to LonnieP at Lonnies Performance. He will do the resistor value conversion for you as plug and play.

That's definitely worth the money. There are threads about using a Grand Prix fuel level sensor. That sensor is plug and play for the 2nd GM fuel bucket design. I found out the hard way that there are two OEM designs. They had different wire harness plugs at the top. The aftermarket fuel buckets for the 4th gen tank have different connection clips for the fuel level sensor. Sense the fuel bucket and sensor are submerged in gasoline, the wires can't be spliced, and the sensor must be securely mounted on the bucket. I finally figured out a solution after much trial and error.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...pump-woes.html
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 AM

I got a question. I too opted for the 4th gen plastic tank in my 89 rs. So the question is, is the 4th gen fuel tank purge valve wired same as the 3rd gen? I was thinking about splicing into the factory harness behind the left headlight, then running wire down the left side of the car to the tank where the 4th gen purge valve is. Any thoughts, concerns, corrections, or criticism?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, it is just a two wire solenoid
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '86 Z28
Engine: SDPC TPI 350
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Originally Posted by Mitchell Clark
I got a question. I too opted for the 4th gen plastic tank in my 89 rs. So the question is, is the 4th gen fuel tank purge valve wired same as the 3rd gen? I was thinking about splicing into the factory harness behind the left headlight, then running wire down the left side of the car to the tank where the 4th gen purge valve is. Any thoughts, concerns, corrections, or criticism?
4th gen purge is mounted on the driver side of the engine I believe. The solenoid operated valve on the tank is the vent valve.

M
Old 02-06-2018, 12:12 PM

The rubber hose & fuel neck are both 4th gen pieces. I made a spacer to mount the filler neck using the existing bracket that is on the neck. Then I cut the rubber hose down to fit between the neck and tank. Here’s some pictures:

An easier way is to bend the bracket by hand, line up the filler neck with your body, then drill a hole where the bolt will screw through the frame and into the bracket.

Then use the factory 4th gen bolt, it's what I did on my car and the filler is centered perfectly
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 PM

heres some reference pics
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen plastic fuel tank-20170405_195445_001.jpg   4th gen plastic fuel tank-20170405_195436.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Obviously this mod is very popular among lsx swappers. But what about the few that want a plastic tank on their stock engine like me? Has any one done this swap with a factory engine? I'm curious how you went about your emission setup.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been done. The last post on this link is when the discussion turns to a 5.0 TBI.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...plastic-2.html
Old 08-14-2021, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my fuel gauge solution:

I’m running a complete LS1 / T56 swap and a complete emissions / functioning evap system. 4th gen tank has all factory wires connected to the 411 ECM and gauges from Dakota Digital. Here’s the kicker - we all know you either send the fuel data to the ecm or the gauge, you can not splice to both. However, they make a OBDII connection which includes the fuel data!

Bingo!

Fuel gauge works perfectly and computer is getting the pressure/level/etc info it needs to purge and vent.

Proof:

Old 08-14-2021, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who makes an OBDII fuel data? And why would an OBII make your fuel gauge work? Im not understanding sorry. Im looking to get my stock fuel gauge working with a 4th gen Ls1 fuel sender. I have a Dakota Digital box for my tach. Will it work for fuel sender too??
Old 08-14-2021, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Laycox
Who makes an OBDII fuel data? And why would an OBII make your fuel gauge work? Im not understanding sorry. Im looking to get my stock fuel gauge working with a 4th gen Ls1 fuel sender. I have a Dakota Digital box for my tach. Will it work for fuel sender too??
Nope. Can’t use stock gauges. Their gauges and the bus kit allow the Dakota Digital gauges to read direct from the ECM.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:42 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 2006 LQ9 cammed
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Hello, I know this is an older post however, I have completed most of my LS swap in my 83 Camaro used 4th gen tank all works great EXCEPT, I cant fill the tank because the vent assembly in the pump head simply will not allow air to be pushed out. It appears to all be there however has a tiny little hole at the top with a spring assembly valve built in. Can I simply drill that out and then just use the 3rd gen vent valve at the end of the vent line? This is literately my ONLY problem, but I am stopped cold.

Appreciate your time.