Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

Restoring and Fixing My 88 T/A, Progress So-Far Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Restoring and Fixing My 88 T/A, Progress So-Far Thread!

Alright so i got this REALLY nice 88 T/A for my 16th birthday! Im absolutely in love with this car. Ive wanted a Trans am since as long as i can remember! so this is all like a dream! My parents picked up the car from some guy in my area. He had it sitting outside one of his shops along with a Jeep and a Crown Vic. He had the car sitting outside for 10 hours and he had gotten 14 calls about the car by then! My dad saw the car on craigslist and told my mom that she should call this guy cause it was a good looking car for the price. My mom is extremely persistent.So she called this guy and BEGGED to look at the car the next day before all these other people. My dad couldnt go cause he had to work. So the guy said OKAY ill see ya there tomorrow! so they met up,my mom sat in the car,the guy did a burnout *Which wasnt very smart.Ill tell you why soon.* Anyways,He did the burnout and my mom,not caring about how things mechanically run,told the guy she'd buy it. So the guy parked the car until the next day when my dad and her could go pick up the car. So my dad got there the next day with my car and was like =O Essentially, haha. So He drove the car home..looked PRETTY darn rough before...and didnt exactly run the best.Ill tell ya why.
There are some guys on here that are like IM RESTORING MY CAR AND IT SAT FOR A WHOLE YEAR! and they act like its a big deal. Uhm well heres some info,my car sat for 10 years! in a open roof barn,essentially. The owner before wrecked the car.He was a moron and put freaking FIREBIRD PARTS ON A TRANS AM!>=[ but anyways,lol. He put the car in the barn and let it sit for all that time with a full tank of gas and new tires.So the tires dry rotted. and yeah.My dad got the car to a storage unit ( i didnt have any idea about any of this By the way,it was my surprise gift at my birthday party=P) but he got the car to a storage unit and worked on it everyDAY for a month. Even on his 1 week vacation. He did a lot to the car and made it look great.Here's what the car USE to look like:Firebird bumper,passenger headlight,broken hood vent,and yeah. thats just on the front! the guy wrecked the car on the drivers side.So its full of dents and scratches and paint chips EVERYWHERE. On the passenger side,someone got rock sprayed all over the car and left marks EVERYWHERE
heres some BEFORE pics:
You can see where it was wrecked near the back,and the bumper commin right off!All those marks,no not mud,all scratches.and dents.You cant see it here,but this whole side of the car is COVERED in rock chips.bad too. So here we go,Now im gonna post what has been done so far. and we'll all get through this together and yall can help me out with some info?=]
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 AM

Re: Restoring and Fixing My 88 T/A, Progress So-Far Thread!

Alright so when my dad had the beast in the storage unit,he worked on a TON of it! Touch up paint on almost all the marks, got a new front bumper,got a new belt,fixed the rear bumper(Its cracked) and put in a whole new steering column! He said that was pretty darn tough! lol.He also installed a aftermarket JVC KD-LH300. He fixed the headlights becuase they wouldnt work,he rebuilt the motors on em! Got a new air filter because the one inside of it was black and corroded and crumbled apart. He got new hydrolic lifters for the hood. He patched up the HUGE rust hole/spot on the hood,he bought a new hood vent and installed it,and messed with the timing! he worked his butt off and i appreciate him soo much!
this is him working on the car:
New hood vent,it was panted later. AND new Trans am Decal ;D
Fixed Headlights!=]
New Front Bumper and painted vent.
The beast seeing daylight=] After a good cleaning and touch up paint job!~
God isnt she beautiful?=] U never would have known it sat for so long!
Heres the video of me receiving it at my party!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ciltXUO4F4

Watch it,its truly awesome!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 AM

Yes im so friggin happy to have this baby! Heres the progress so far of whats been done to this bad boy!
Changed Oil,flushed an refilled coolant,installed new speakers and made a sub box,only has one sub in it now cause i havent had time to install the other! the crappy exhaust was taken off because it was tore apart and someone mounted a glasspack onto it! sanded and removed all corrosion from the underbody,body,and rims,seafoamed the engine,checked the timing,Oil was leaking really bad and we could NOT figure out the problem,so went and bout an Oil pressure switch and that was the problem! so no more oil ponds=] lol. Waxed and polished the car,fixed all the weatherstripping,removed the tint 'IT WAS CRAP!' greased all the hinges on the car, ALL NEW spark plugs(Wires were fine!) cleaned the engine and air filter housing,cleaned the carborator with carborator cleaner,made sure the fuel injecters were working properly, we cant get the gas gauge to work,so im gonna buy a sending unit, YES we put seafoam in the gas tank,that didnt work=/ checked the breaks,new Oxygen sensor,new oil filter,and i think thats it so far!
My dad built the box all on his own!=] 10 bucks! I bought the amp and the sub. YEs i know its MTX,but just the one sub shakes the car!
Man she looks good!
I havent posted everything thats been done to the car because it would take too long! Me and my dad work and mess with it every day.

Oh yeah! the car has 107,000 original miles! thats pretty good for a 22 year old car!
my dads 2004 f150 has over 130xxx
Kicker box! Replaced with;Alpine Type SPS-406,4x6 speakers,with turnable tweeters.And midass american legend 6 1/2 inch speakers. Sounds great!
Rockin that orange! man i love my car!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM

Heres what were planning to do next.Install a new exhaust from the Catalytic converter back. and get the y-pipes resealed and tightened,then go get plates!
the passenger side tire ripped a few days ago=/ Darn dry rotting! so now i gotta buy a 95 dollar Kumho Ecsta all season 245/50-16
Then get a new air cleaner cover,get new vacuum lines,the ones on now are begging to rot. Replaced the breather filter today. Got everything cleaned out! Greased all the joints again, and lubricated all the lines and tubes in the car to keep them healthy and flexible. Car runs like a beauty since everything has been done to it so far! its quiet and healthy! amazing after sitting for so long.
Ill keep ya'll posted!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 AM

Replacing the brake fluid and brake fluid tank soon.Old one looks pretty bad!
Got under the car today and Boy oh boy did the floor pans look rough! completely corroded and rusted! went under there with a sand black,a drill with a bristle bit,and some rust removing jelly,and went crazy! Rear axle and differential were pretty nasty looking too..still working on those though
got all the rust removed,just need to coat it
ill post the finished results tomorrow
Heres what they did look like
both the drivers side and passenger side where the same,The entire underbody essentially is covered in rust
Started removing the rust..
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 TA convertible
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Amazing transformation! Your dad (and yourself) obviously know your S**t!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 350-Vortec-carbed
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: stockola, right now anyhow

Nice, cool Dad.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Progress has not been so great lately. Not alot of money.So far the front tire ripped so the car isnt moving. We got in both subwoofers. And got in a new direct fit exhaust.