Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

Two Fiero GT's for sale/trade: Take-two (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Fiero GT's for sale/trade: Take-two (lots of pics)

Okay, now that I'm more serious and have pics I'm reposting.
I had someone interested in a trade but he's been slow to respond so I'm keeping options open.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Re: Two Fiero GT's for sale/trade: Take-two (lots of pics)

Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I want to trade or sell in whole or in part one or both for any and/or all of the following:
-An AWD wagon or small SUV with less than 100k miles in good shape, 95ish or newer (need to get little sister a roomy winter-able car)
-An '88+ full size Chevy/GMC truck w/ a V8 and reasonably low mileage in decent condition, other options fairly open
-An '88 Fiero GT in decent shape
-Any very cool thirdgen parts (like a built engine or a 9" rear or something)
-$3200obo for both

Here's details:

First, let me say that some of the pics make details of the cars look a little better than they are, but nothing very dramatic. I'm very honest and have nothing to hide, it's all listed.

The '87 (silver):
-236k miles
-35k on the reman'd 2.8 from GM (I bought it like that, but have the reciept).
-Power windows/locks/mirrors
-Sunroof
Everything internally to the engine is great, no funny noises from in there, no smoke, etc.
It was a southern Cali car, so hasn't had salty winters

The good:
-All exterior lights work
-All gauges work... well as well as stock Fiero gauges do.
-Interior is in pretty good shape overall, includes nice seats from a '96 Firebird w/Fiero tracks (stock height)
-Speedhut reverse indiglo gauge faces (blue or green switchable backlight)
-New Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-New KYB front shocks
-New right rear outer tie rod
-New polyurethane cradle and sway bar bushings
-Aiwa CD player, aftermarket speakers/small sub in factory box (not sure which), sounds pretty good
-Perfect windshield, no chips
-Tires are in good shape
-Car has almost no rust
-A/C works
-Clean and clear title
-It's all there

The bad:
-Idle surges most of the time, occasionally it'll settle on a perfect idle. Lately it's been not wanting to stay running when cold, but won't stall once it gets a little heat in there.
-Will occasionally buck and kick while cruising on the highway for a bit of time, then goes away and cruises smooth. I did a normal tune up (plugs, wires, cap&rotor, fuel filter, air filter) but none cured these. It throws 4 engine codes (EGR, TPS, and two others I forget), but the TPS measures right. The EGR probably is bad, but shouldn't cause that. I believe the two other codes were related to those two.
-The tranny will grind into second if not shifted slowly, but goes fine if so. Reverse will also grind unless it's put into a forward gear first (somewhat normal).
-The brakes have a small leak somewhere, have to add a little fluid every 1-2k miles or so maybe.

The not as bad:
-Minor oil leak, none really needed to be added between changes, though.
-Needs a shift select cable, it's somewhat hard to move from side to side (though I'm used to it).
-Rear bumper has small crack from winning a fight with the mailbox (poor mailbox).
-Paint (obvious in pics)
-Horn doesn't work
-Parking brake is weak (hence the downhill fight with the mailbox- I leave it in gear now )
-Slight wheel vibration at 75ish mph
-Rear trunk carpet really dirty
The '86 (black):
-230k miles
-I was told 15k on the ARI 3.4 stroker and Getrag 5-speed rebuild, which is believable.
-Comp Cams 260H cam
-Ported heads (I don't know how much, but was told they were ported by a local shop in VA)
-Roller rockers (was told this, didn't verify)
-Sprint headers
-3" catback
-MSD 6 ignition
-Autometer tachometer (condition reflects interior, but it works well)
-Eibach lowering springs
-Poly bushings all around, including cradle and sway bar
-Short throw shifter (not sure which, but is an aftermarket one)
-Quarter window scoops
-Power windows/locks/mirrors
I bought this car as it sits a few months ago. It runs, but really needs TLC. It sounds very mean, and would be a quick car with work and a proper tune.

The good:
-Above listed
-Tight steering
-Handles like it's on rails even with old tires
-Parking brake works well

The bad:
-Title issue, 3rd digit typo'd as a "Z" on the title when it should be a "2" (Pontiac Division). No 3rd digit "Z" even exists. I ignorantly missed the issue when it had a VA title, and sent it through to get an MD title in my name. Now both states say "deal with the other state". I'm sure there's a way around the mess but I don't have much time to haggle with the states. It is an otherwise clean title in my name, and is legit, just erred.
-Clutch slips, I'm pretty sure it's from the rear main leaking onto it judging by how it acts. It'll only slip under hard acceleration, but not every time. Wants to grab nicely occasionally, and under normal accel and cruise.
-Cooling fan quit coming on right after I bought it (go figure). I haven't looked to see why.

The not as bad:
-Engine doesn't run perfect, probably only needs a good tune. Mostly idles great
-Minor other oil leaks
-Door lock 'covers' are missing, have to slide back black trim to get key in doors (hard to explain)
-Interior isn't great, see pictures.
-Temp guage reads erratically
-Oil pressure gauge doesn't work
-Headlight motor won't stop running on or off so they were put up then unplugged (this is how it was told to me, I haven't even messed with them) though both headlights do light up.
-Horn doesn't work
-Paint (flat black over red, not done great)
-Needs new tires all around
-Wheels have dirty stains that won't come out (hard to see in pics)
-Missing rear trunk carpet
-Chip in windshield
-3" exhaust underneath car somewhat crushed, but still open enough to get exhaust out.
-A/C doesn't work
Taking the parts from the '86 and putting them in the '87 with some attention to detail and a tune would make for an awesome all around Fiero. There isn't a lot one needs that the other doesn't have. Otherwise, some troubleshooting and extra parts and work would make for two decent drivable Fieros.
I was going to swap in the whole front cradle and the whole rear cradle after re-sealing the engine and putting a new clutch in, then do a '730 ECU swap and tune, finishing it off with a (proper) paintjob. Unfortunately, I just have too much on my plate right now and I need a truck or any of the above, so lets make a deal!

Last edited by Steven89Iroc; 08-17-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s

Careful man sounds like you got some third gen syndromes going on with those fieros.

Like the cars, and your right combined those would make 1 nice fiero. Lots of a little quirks. Your honest too i can tell. I have not the time in the world for them though so this is just a good luck with the sale bump. Always liked fieros would love to get one someday.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Being that they're 80's GM sportscars that suck stock but are great to modify and fun to drive, I've noticed that thirdgen-itis and Fiero-itis are pretty much the same thing.
Just one -itis is too much for me to handle right now thanks.

Edit: Unless you meant the problems they both have. Most of what I said still applies, however.

Last edited by Steven89Iroc; 08-18-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86' Trans am
Engine: 85 LG4-non cc carb(building a 350)
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4,vette servo,2200stall
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi

i love those cars they remeind me of a ''MINI'' thirdgen lol.....wouldnt mind ge tting 1 one day.....only if u were closer
Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 AM

Yeah they are kind of a cross between a mini-thirdgen and a mini-Corvette wannabe. I like em.

I have an offer of $1200 for the 87. Can anybody top that?
I really want to trade them in whole or part (as in, I will pay extra for a truck or car worth more than both), or sell them together.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Are they in college park? My brother and I have both been looking for one, I wonder what the wife would say if I actually "found" one or 2 (I think I'm at 6 cars now...)?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Well one of them is still, sorry I haven't updated the thread.
I sold the '87 (silver), and I bought a truck. Plans are now to keep the '86 for parts to swap onto an '88 that I'm looking for. I'd still sell the '86 for parts for around what I paid for it ($2000 which I think was a bit too much), and it quit running again after I fixed the cooling fan, this time with no spark. I haven't had time to figure out why, so I don't think anyone would want it now anyway.

There's a very nice '85 GT (notchback) for sale in Silver Spring with a worked Caddy 4.9 (234whp, heh, but that's low 13's in a Fiero). It needs very little to be finished and perfect, and has a nice red paintjob to boot. I think he said he can't take less than $3k for it, which would be a killer deal.
I can give you the for sale thread on Pennocks Fiero Forum if you want.