Problems / Help / Suggestions / Comments Let us know if you're having any problems with the site or board software. Post any ideas you might have for ThirdGen.Org here.

Bs popup ad takeovers on mobile

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1
Adware issues only when I visit TGO

Every time I visit here, I begin scrolling through the list of New Posts and get a popup type notification on my phone saying I won something. It is then impossible to get out of that dang ad. What can I do to stop this? I am already logged in to the site, I have cleared all cache/history, installed and ran Malwarebytes and it finds no concerns. I log in on my laptop and there are ads covering the photos and text. I use Google Chrome as a browser on my phone and my laptop. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bs popup ad takeovers on mobile

So intermittently browsing the forum every 5 or so page loads I get overtaken by bs ads, whole redirects which take me to a page resembling Facebook claiming I've won a prize and need to register to claim it. I've noticed similar Bullshit ads run on photobucket, the site needs to drop these ads seriously, they wreak of malware.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: Bs popup ad takeovers on mobile

Send a few screen captures to my email address jt@thirdgen.org

We can't help with the Photobucket issue, and if you have any open tabs (even in background) that have the ability to do this, that might also contribute to the issue.

We don't allow "pop-up" ads or redirects. Obviously, that takes traffic away from our site. But ads are necessary. While the site is free for members to browse and use, it certainly is far from free to operate on site this large and active for over 15 years that we've been online. Ads pay the bills and it's always an on-going effort to remove ads from various networks that don't behave properly.

Lastly, this issue is specific to Android devices. Especially ones running old builds. Those need to be updated - like anything else connected to the Internet.

Originally Posted by Tmrc5
So intermittently browsing the forum every 5 or so page loads I get overtaken by bs ads, whole redirects which take me to a page resembling Facebook claiming I've won a prize and need to register to claim it. I've noticed similar Bullshit ads run on photobucket, the site needs to drop these ads seriously, they wreak of malware.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: LS coming soon
Transmission: 80E coming soon
Axle/Gears: S60/35 Spline/S-Trac/3.73

I too have this issue! Just came on to make an exact thread of this issue. I'll post screen shots to you as it's every 3-4 thread I click on.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: LS coming soon
Transmission: 80E coming soon
Axle/Gears: S60/35 Spline/S-Trac/3.73

Here isn't one I constantly get.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I'm having this problem all of a sudden. Have to close out the whole site and come back. REALLY IRRIRATING.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

JT, I am also having this problem. I understand that the site may not allow it, but it's happening, and happens a lot. It's always a forced redirect, taking over the browser, causing my phone to constantly vibrate in Chrome or beep like an alarm clock in Firefox. In fact it was this issue that caused me to install Firefox, thinking there was something wrong with Chrome. Once it redirects there's no using the back button, my ONLY choice is to close the browser and open it again.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Car: 89 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto

HI, am getting pop-ups on IOS iphone 5s for Amazon contests. The URL that you are taken to vary but they end in .top. Can't use the site any more because of the popups. Spoke with apple. They say it is one of your advertisers. Did all the history and cookie resets etc. no help there either.
Thanks. I attached a screen view.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Car: 89 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto

Hi, I am running IOS 11.2.5 on a 5s. I get redirecting pop-ups on your site so bad that I can no longer use the site. I contacted apple and they took me through all the reset options without success. they state it is one of your ads. I do not click on any ad but still get the pop up. attached is a copy of the screen. the urls vary but they end in .top.