Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Got a Mustang question, but 3rd gen related....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Got a Mustang question, but 3rd gen related....

If there are any Fox Body Mustang experts, I'm looking for some input.

In searching online, I came across an after-market radiator bracket. As you'll in the link see, it's for a Mustang, but I'm wondering if it might work for securing the new radiator in my car.
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...r_brackets.php

Pic of my new radiator for reference:
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
Re: Got a Mustang question, but 3rd gen related....

It is possible, I made one myself.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 PM

Probably not, the radiator support is shaped a little different.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

How does the new radiator fit with the lower mounts? I'm assuming that the stock rubber bushings don't fit. Were you able to fit some sort of rubber in there to cushion the lower part of the radiator? It looks to me like it would not be that difficult to fab up some upper brackets from aluminum stock kind of like you did for your front license plate brackets. I think you could possibly cut the stock rubbers in half so that you would have them cushioning the corners of the new radiator with the bracket just bridging the top center of the radiator.

I just thought of something else, Bret. If you space home made upper brackets to match the bolt spacing on your fan brackets, you could bend the aluminum down behind the radiator and use the upper radiator brackets to serve as fan mounts as well.

Last edited by Russ-So Cal; 01-28-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Russ-So Cal
How does the new radiator fit with the lower mounts? I'm assuming that the stock rubber bushings don't fit. Were you able to fit some sort of rubber in there to cushion the lower part of the radiator?
Yeah, in the pic below you can see what I did for the lower bracket. I cut a piece of aluminum and mounted it in the tray to create a smooth surface. The factory tray has a bump in it that runs the full width.

I then mounted some Prothane urethane isolators to cushion the radiator. They are for a BB 2nd gen. Camaro. I've since found isolators that JEG's makes that would have worked slightly better, only due to the fact they are designed with a lip on only one side, that suits these radiators a tad better. Not that big a deal though, the Prothane ones work well.

I have some aluminum stock for creating the upper mount, just not a proper bending brake to form it. I'm going to work out the shape by using cardboard first, then I'll see about shaping the aluminum.

If the Mustang one worked with some minor tweaks, it would be worth it in the time it would save. That's why I was curious to get a little more info.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

I just thought of something else, Bret. If you space home made upper brackets to match the bolt spacing on your fan brackets, you could bend the aluminum down behind the radiator and use the upper radiator brackets to serve as fan mounts as well.
That was my original plan. However, this new radiator is taller than stock, so the upper bracket would end up covering like 25% of the radiator. May not be that big of a deal, especially since the bracket would be only like 18 or so inches wide. I'm going to have to keep looking at it and work it out.

In the meantime, I may just go ahead and fill the system back up and get the car fired.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

Why do you need a full length top.
Just bend some 1" x1/8" alum strap into the shape you need, slip a rubber hose over 2 of them and mount thru the existing holes.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by injdinjn
Why do you need a full length top.
Just bend some 1" x1/8" alum strap into the shape you need, slip a rubber hose over 2 of them and mount thru the existing holes.
Something like this was kind of what I was going for, only NOT the full length of the radiator. Only the center section where the two mounting holes are on the body. This also lines up with the mounting holes for the fans.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...ffin-mount.jpg

Or I could fab up something like these with the material I have:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3556...-Hardware.html
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Bret, I think you misunderstood my suggestion about the fan mounting. I was not suggesting that the top bracket go full width and then hang down enough to mount the fans to it as well. Rather, I was suggesting you use a couplde of straps that would clamp the top of the radiator and then continue down behind the radiator to mount the fans, probably a max width of 3/4 inch. If you fab it up from aluminum and take it down to the lower mount and fasten one end of the brackets at the top core support, and the other end to the bottom rad mount, the thickness you used for your license plate brackets would be plenty. In that case, you could bend it up in a vice, and not need a brake to bend it.

Last edited by Russ-So Cal; 01-30-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Bret, I think you misunderstood my suggestion about the fan mounting. I was not suggesting that the top bracket go full width and then hang down enough to mount the fans to it as well.
Oh no, I understand what you are suggesting Russ. In fact, the more I've thought about it, that's probably what I'm going to do.

In one of the links I posted, you can see aluminum straps that some companies offer. What I'm thinking I will do is make something similar using the aluminum material I have. Only the straps will drop down enough to attach the top fan mounts. For the bottom fan mounts, I'm using the stock location.

The straps I'll make will probably be around 2 inches wide, just to provide a little more support to the top of the radiator. Pad them with some thin rubber and they should be good to go.

All I need to do is pick up a metal cutting blade for my table saw to cut the sheet stock I have down to size. From there I can bend it in my vise as you suggested.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

Yeah, that should ghettoize it pretty good.
Why don't you just go to a fab shop, have them make up a nice top out of aluminum, powdercoat it and be done with it. Then it would be something to admire.

Just my $.02
Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
Yeah, that should ghettoize it pretty good.
Why don't you just go to a fab shop, have them make up a nice top out of aluminum, powdercoat it and be done with it. Then it would be something to admire.

Just my $.02
What's your schedule like?

Honestly, that's why I initially asked about the Mustang piece. It would give a more finished and professional look. Provided it worked.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

If the home made brackets are nicely made, and I am sure Bret will, they will look fine. They can be painted body color or polished and clear coated.
A long plate hides the $$$$ alum radiator.
They make a rubber paint, well they used to dont know if its still available here, for dipping tools into and coating them with rubber. Plasti-dip I think is the name. That could be painted on the bottom side.