Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Baer Trackers bump steer kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baer Trackers bump steer kit

In case anyone was wondering what the kit looks like, here it is. These things are pretty beefy. The US quarter in the pic is for size reference. They replace the tie-rod adjuster sleeve altogether, so the other beefy adjuster Hotchkis sells, for example, is not needed. I have a NIB Hotchkis tie-rod adjuster sleeves if anyone is interested.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: grand prix/84 z28
Engine: 4.6 Northstar
Transmission: t-56
yeah

I saw those on Horsepower TV last week.

They look pretty good but the Pa rack and pinion kit comes with a simular tie rod.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:22 PM

Tom, do you have the web address for Bear? And how much were they?

Did you ever join another club since the unfortunate demise of your club? Just curious I always wanted to see your car!

Thanks,

Eric Clifton
Escondido
Vanity plate: 1989GTA
Old 04-27-2002, 07:30 PM

Car: grand prix/84 z28
Engine: 4.6 Northstar
Transmission: t-56
ummm de dum

here they are, http://www.baer.com/options/STEERING.SHTM

If I remember correctly I thought they were around 60 bucks.

:lala: :lala: :lala:
Old 04-28-2002, 05:43 AM

the baer trackers are 149.95 put them on my car last year . it cured the bump steer problems i was having , car dosent feel so twichy over bumps while turning.the part # for 82-92 third gen. cars is E2GF 21010-xxx.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Baer Trackers bump steer kit

Originally posted by Tom Keliher
In case anyone was wondering what the kit looks like, here it is. These things are pretty beefy. The US quarter in the pic is for size reference. They replace the tie-rod adjuster sleeve altogether, so the other beefy adjuster Hotchkis sells, for example, is not needed. I have a NIB Hotchkis tie-rod adjuster sleeves if anyone is interested.
Do they come in any other color other than red? Can you order them right from Baer, or do you have to go through a dealer?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
Do these replace the outer tie rod as well as the sleeve, leaving the stock inner tie rod? What sort of Life span do these have on the sperical end's and can they be replaced seperatly once worn or does the whole unit need to be replaced?
Old 04-29-2002, 01:31 PM

yes they replace the outer tie rod end. I have about 15,000 miles on the car since i installed them .they are built very good and the ony thing you might have to replace is the rod end available at most speed shops like summit racing or jegs. as far as wear goes dont worry about that they will out last stock tie rods
Old 04-29-2002, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

sorry but I'm still a little confused about how these improve performance over tie rods. First off I see how the black portion would fit in the spindle arm like the tie rod, but what is the silver portion above it with what looks like a nut on top, does it serve some special purpose? I thought bump steer refered to the rear of the car when taking a bumpy turn, how exactly do these reduce bump steer? And how do these perform differently than tie rods and if they do perform better why not replace both inner and outter tie rods with these pieces as opposed to just the outter. Sorry I have so many questions but I need a little education on this subject.

Mark
Old 04-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by grafx
sorry but I'm still a little confused about how these improve performance over tie rods. First off I see how the black portion would fit in the spindle arm like the tie rod, but what is the silver portion above it with what looks like a nut on top, does it serve some special purpose? I thought bump steer refered to the rear of the car when taking a bumpy turn, how exactly do these reduce bump steer? And how do these perform differently than tie rods and if they do perform better why not replace both inner and outter tie rods with these pieces as opposed to just the outter. Sorry I have so many questions but I need a little education on this subject.

Mark
I think the advantage that these have over regualr tie rod ends is that the actual height of the "end" is adjustable. If you lower the car using springs, it changes the steering geometry, and one way to correct it is to adjust the position of the tie rod end. I guess it eliminates bump steering by making the geometry closer to what it is supposed to be as if the car was never lowered. Someone else should be able to expand on this (get a little more technical, cause I cant ).....
Old 04-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

So that's basically what these pieces are designed for? A lowered car? So other than being designed for a lowered car they really don't offer anything else over stock tie rods besides being adjustable?
Old 04-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
From Baer's web site:

"Bump steer occurs when intentional changes to steering geometry, such as caster, camber, or static ride height, result in undesired, dynamic changes to toe settings.

This happens when the initial angle of the tie rod, due to altered geometry, is such that when the
suspension is articulated through a range of motion, the tie rod is not able to travel in the same arc as the steering arm on the spindle. At the point the steering arm and tie rod arcs become different, unwanted steering input results.

In driving, this normally shows up when the suspension is already "loaded" (as in hard cornering, and particularly when simultaneously braking) and a change in road surface (pot hole, bump, other) is encountered. In such cases, the car darts sharply and unexpectedly. In the extreme, this can cause a total loss of control, minimally, it is unsettling, unsafe, and undesirable."

I picked up my Baer Bump Steer kit from Scoggin Dickey for $124.95 + shipping — that's $25 cheaper than Year One!
Old 05-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

I talked to a Baer rep and he said these are designed for lowered cars or cars with poorly designed front ends. For a 3rd gen the matter of a poorly designed front end isn't an issue is it?? So what I'm getting at here is these are only worth installing if the car has been lowered, correct??
Old 05-02-2002, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
grafx,
Correct. For a completely stock car they probably won't do much.