Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

anyone run Tokiko Blue struts/shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc street car
Engine: Fitech vortec 400sbc/T5
Transmission: Also 69 Chevelle, Nascar chassis
Axle/Gears: 700hp roadrace track day car
anyone run Tokiko Blue struts/shocks?

Im in the market for struts.....anyone running them?

couldnt find much in a search.....its all Bilsteen, KYB and Koni

I have a Pro Kit on the car.....

Last edited by Dscott; 01-15-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: anyone run Tokiko Blue struts/shocks?

try searching for "tokico", i ran them, no complaints, made the car feel much beter than the blown out shocks.... it's a great value/performance shock
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM

faaaack....helps when you get the spelling right.....thanks bud
Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: 5spd w/Hurst Short Throw
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42 LS1 Brakes

I run the blue Tociko with Eibach Sportlines, been 2 years (about 9000km on them) and they ride like new. Very firm, good handling.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM

I owned my Camaro for about 18 years.(my daughter is turning 18 next month. I put Tokico Blues on the camaro back then when I first bought it because I wanted a step up from stock, but something still forgiving enough in ride quality as not to jar around my then infant daughter in her carseat.

They are NOT a very firm shock. On a scale of perfomance 1-10, 1 being a factory shock and 10 being a Koni Yellow, I would rank a tockio blue as a 5 when new, and a 4 after about 10,000 miles, and so on. They wear quickly and blow out after about 5 years.

Last edited by Vetruck; 01-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42posi

Originally Posted by Vetruck
I owned my Camaro for about 18 years.(my daughter is turning 18 next month. I put Tokico Blues on the camaro back then when I first bought it because I wanted a step up from stock, but something still forgiving enough in ride quality as not to jar around my then infant daughter in her carseat.

They are NOT a very firm shock. On a scale of perfomance 1-10, 1 being a factory shock and 10 being a Koni Yellow, I would rank a tockio blue as a 5 when new, and a 4 after about 10,000 miles, and so on. They wear quickly and blow out after about 5 years.
Where would you rank a KYB AGX single adjustable shock and strut?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 383fbod
Where would you rank a KYB AGX single adjustable shock and strut?
I would say a 7 at best. I would give them a 5-7 range based on what spring rates they are used with. I do not like linear dampering of both compression and rebound together in one ****. They will work bettr with softer spring rates and the **** turned up in dynamic loading (trasistional loading until set into full corner roll degrees) but then the softer springrates would probably cause too much body roll.

Koni's have a high rebound dampering, and good quality fluid control with their internals. They are well built and stay most predictable under hard conditions. Koni's downfall? They are slightly too high compression dampering on the front struts. But I feel Koni is the best out their for "Over-The-Counter" shocks and struts

Last edited by Vetruck; 01-12-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

if you could choose between the tokico blues, the illuminas, or the KYB AGXs which would u recomend vetruck?

i dnt have a ton of cash but i just ordered a pair of the J&M strut mounts and i have the GR2s up front right now, they are still working after a yr of abuse on a lowered car.

heres my setup, cut moog 5664s for 1.5" drop and about 900lbin spring rate (front). i have WS6 36mm front sway bar, poly bushings, poly bushings in the front LCA, also reinforced the front LCA. i have TDS wonder bar, and hand made 2pt strut tower brace or my 383 HSR. the front end has been completely seam welded and i TIG welded the strut towers fully. the car is very stiff as it is with the GR2s but i kno they wont last long, i had them on my car for about a yr with sportlines but the sportlines where to soft.

the car is stiff as a rock with the roll bar and SFC not to mention jegster Tq arm, UMI double rod end offset LCAs, UMI rod end panhard bar. UMI LCA relocation brackets. reinforced the rear sub frames alittle with some cross bracing to the roll bar. rear has moog 5665s cut for 1.5-2" drop with 130-150lbin rate. shocks are gas-a-justs.

car is mostly a DD and sees highway and city driving and i drive it likes its stolen , best bang for my buck? between the tokico blues/luminas/AGXs? really i want a strut that will last a while... say 5yrs a minimum but still perform well with my setup. cant afford KONI or blisten bc they are INSANE with $$
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

I noticed the Tokico Blue that i have were alot smoother on the bumps that the stock shocks but they were still about as firm as the stock shocks if not a tad it firmer... They handle decent for the price so i'd say all around good shock for the street (for the money).
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM

got the blues...will see how they work.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z-28
Engine: 360TPI
Transmission: PA Racing 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Ride firmness can also be altered by what kind of spring rate you run... I have Tokico Blues on my car with a pro-series drop and I have no complaints... Thing rides on rails...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by C-Titan
Ride firmness can also be altered by what kind of spring rate you run... I have Tokico Blues on my car with a pro-series drop and I have no complaints... Thing rides on rails...
Rails? Sorry, but no.

you need to drive the same car with Koni yellows and you would retract your comment very quickly. Tokico blues do not hold a candle to koni yellows in perfornamce chassis control. Blues work even worse with stiffer spring rates, they are not valved to damper higher rates and you will bobble loosing mechanical grip.

As staed before, they were great for a daily driver for my then ex wife and my infant daugther, they are not a "perfomance" shock, just a scale up from a stock damper.

I do not like when people post things leading other asstray to spending their money on false expectations.

Dean
Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

what about the AGXs and illuminas? i just put on the AGXs i have them on setting 3 for my 900lb cut moog 5664s. they are about 1.5" drop.

i also just got the car back from alignment and i got the car to your specs vetruck. so far the car seems much better. combined that with the J&M strut mounts, new AGX struts and i converted my 2pt STB to a 3pt. made a huge difference!

im gona want to upgrade the rear shocks soon, i have gas-a-justs out back now. i wanted to either go AGX or some other shock that is adjustable for the track(drag mostly but i might try autoX ) i originally wanted illuminas but i heard mixed reviews. i would love an double adjustable rear shock but they are mucho $$

i agree with vetruck on the springs. i had the sprotlines with GR2s and i though it was amazing compared to worn stock WS6. but compare that to my AGXs, cut moog 5664s, 3pt STB and J&M mounts i refuse to go back, again i cant afford koni's so....
Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 PM

Rails? Sorry, but no.

you need to drive the same car with Koni yellows and you would retract your comment very quickly. Tokico blues do not hold a candle to koni yellows in perfornamce chassis control. Blues work even worse with stiffer spring rates, they are not valved to damper higher rates and you will bobble loosing mechanical grip.

As staed before, they were great for a daily driver for my then ex wife and my infant daugther, they are not a "perfomance" shock, just a scale up from a stock damper.

I do not like when people post things leading other asstray to spending their money on false expectations.

Dean

Please change your tampon next time before responding to a post with nothing but your own arrogance... NO WERE did I state Tokico Blues were the best things out there... If I wanted something with an adjustable damper rating, I still would've went with a set of AGX's or the Illumina's...
I've used emm all, including Koni's - which are extremely over priced for what they are... Even if I did drop some serious cash again, i'd go with Bilstein over Koni's any day...

This car you're calling "BS" on is one of my daily cruisers, so there is no need for a bone jarring set-up - what I run is enough as it is... With that all said, i'll stick to my guns and state once again MY CAR RIDES ON RAILS... Sooo feel free to jump on your high horse and ride it out to the east coast; i'll proudly give you your very own rail ride...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM

I guess I should have posted in the original post the car is an 89 Iroc, 305 tpi 5spd 4wheel disc with A/C (which will be kept) it is first and formost a street/road "GT" car if you will and will see the odd mild track day....the plans are for the most part bolt on's SFCs, 3pt STB, LCA's, PHB but after reading "Ultimate 3rd gen susp" I might go to dropped spindles.....I want a good handling confident road car.....I have a Winston Cup car as a hardcore track day car
Heres a pic of the Iroc at a Mosport track day...the thing did well beating some Boxters, Caymans and some Vettes, evn with the Monroe Sesitracs haha
Attached Thumbnails anyone run Tokiko Blue struts/shocks?-dsc02046.jpg   anyone run Tokiko Blue struts/shocks?-dsc02039.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

Damn how did you beat Porches and vettes? I also read that thread and have bought many things based on that thread including potentially purchasing dropped spindles from Racecraft. They seem to be the best ones for me (being lighter weight and work with EdMiller's LS1 brake kit). I am just concerned with ride height being too low after putting them on! I still haven't seen 2" drop spindles with new MOOG IROC springs with the STOCK 16" wheels (245/50/16).
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

you should be fine with the spindals. the moogs will raise the vehicle alittle. stock springs are saggin def so even new WS6 springs will raise the car, if your that worried u might consider moog 5664s they are stiffer so the car wont sit as low. i have them on mine, with a full coil cut they sit 1.5" lower and have a 850-900lbin rating. stock they are about 750lbin. ws6 i believe is 700lbin AKA moog 5662
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Car: 89camaro rs
Engine: 350tbi (needs carb!)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 32x in process

i have them with drop zone springs , car handles awesome compared to stock . my car is a daily driver and it feels like crap due to the new york pot holes but the car looks sick.

my friend has koni yellows on his honda and all ive witnessed was dislike from him concerning those shocks.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by hellz_wings
Damn how did you beat Porches and vettes? .
I have a little racing experience......in road racing the driver is a HUGE part of it.....at a club level like this its not uncommon at all for a guy to run say a 1min 45 sec lap then get out, another guy get in and run a 1:38 or 1:40.....

first time out in this car I will tell you the car has a good running but stock 305tpi and on the run up Mosports long uphill back straight where you start in second and go well into 5th, lap after lap the Caymans had nothing on me, I could actually pull them right before I let off for the corner at the end.....they wernt too happy when in the pit I told them it was a 305 and not a 350 haha

Last edited by Dscott; 01-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dscott
I guess I should have posted in the original post the car is an 89 Iroc, 305 tpi 5spd 4wheel disc with A/C (which will be kept) it is first and formost a street/road "GT" car if you will and will see the odd mild track day....the plans are for the most part bolt on's SFCs, 3pt STB, LCA's, PHB but after reading "Ultimate 3rd gen susp" I might go to dropped spindles.....I want a good handling confident road car.....I have a Winston Cup car as a hardcore track day car
Heres a pic of the Iroc at a Mosport track day...the thing did well beating some Boxters, Caymans and some Vettes, evn with the Monroe Sesitracs haha
Is it a car I might know- do you run HSRwest vintage NASCAR series? If so, then hit me up when you come to any So.Cal tracks so I can help you out with setups on the local tracks.

Dean
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Please change your tampon next time before responding to a post with nothing but your own arrogance... NO WERE did I state Tokico Blues were the best things out there... If I wanted something with an adjustable damper rating, I still would've went with a set of AGX's or the Illumina's...
I've used emm all, including Koni's - which are extremely over priced for what they are... Even if I did drop some serious cash again, i'd go with Bilstein over Koni's any day...

This car you're calling "BS" on is one of my daily cruisers, so there is no need for a bone jarring set-up - what I run is enough as it is... With that all said, i'll stick to my guns and state once again MY CAR RIDES ON RAILS... Sooo feel free to jump on your high horse and ride it out to the east coast; i'll proudly give you your very own rail ride...

(geeez....shakes head....)

Partner, calm down. Look at the facts.

I have had Tokico Blues on my Camaro- the one that has pulled 1.07g's on street tires on a skid pad. My license plate read "OnARail" Are you getting any of this?

The Tokico blues are not a very good damper at all, AND....THATS"S AAANNNDDD......they wear out quickly with poor internals.

I know, I have owned both on my Camaro. The Tokico Blues do not hold a candle to the Koni Yellows in rebound roll control. Both shocks (Blues, and Yellows) on the same car for comparison.

Sorry you feel inadequate, I post facts.

Dean
Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Is it a car I might know- do you run HSRwest vintage NASCAR series? If so, then hit me up when you come to any So.Cal tracks so I can help you out with setups on the local tracks.

Dean
I know that series, very cool, Id LOVE to run in it....but the car is still being built and SoCal is a LONG way from here.....I'll do some local tracks both road course and oval when it gets done.....about as far away as I would go would be Watkins Glen......the east coast (mostly South east, Road Atlanta, VIR etc) V8Stockcar series guys want me to run but its still far.....my business doesnt allow me to take too many days off in the summer
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM

(geeez....shakes head....)

Partner, calm down. Look at the facts.

I have had Tokico Blues on my Camaro- the one that has pulled 1.07g's on street tires on a skid pad. My license plate read "OnARail" Are you getting any of this?

The Tokico blues are not a very good damper at all, AND....THATS"S AAANNNDDD......they wear out quickly with poor internals.

I know, I have owned both on my Camaro. The Tokico Blues do not hold a candle to the Koni Yellows in rebound roll control. Both shocks (Blues, and Yellows) on the same car for comparison.

Sorry you feel inadequate, I post facts.

Dean
I will remind you one more time... No were did I say Tokico Blues would out perform K. Yellows... Actually reading what I wrote is key and would've saved you from re-stating your obvious hard on for Koni... But since you keep missing this, i'll say it once again - No they are not better then Koni's... (But MANY other products are)... You ran the Blues 10 years ago, do you really think they havn't made any improvements since then??

You must be "new" to think I would feel any type of inadequacy towards your car and\or license plate... You must have not seen mine... If you did, you may have refrained from making such a ludicrous comment...

-My previous invite stands-
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM

I appologize for not saying this earlier (lil' distracted, haha)...

Your IROC is Beautiful!! I've always been a sucker for that Blue... Same car and color combo that, early on, spawned my obsession for 3rd gens...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Your IROC is Beautiful!! I've always been a sucker for that Blue... Same car and color combo that, early on, spawned my obsession for 3rd gens...
Thanks you.....I had an Iroc for yrs as a DD back when they were new.....just got this one last summer.....feels GOOD to be back in one....this one is virtually untouched (except for the Pro Kit), not easy to find in the 305 tpi 5spd.....I could easily have a Corvette but Im quite tall and dont fit in them very well.....I want to hop the thing up with SFCsetc and some motor work and all that but I'll keep the stock outward appearance.....maybe roll on some 18" Irocs though.....people love the car D
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 AM

"Ctitan, You've now said three times you never claimed your shocks to be performance shocks...yet, you have claimed several times in the same breathe that your car "is on rails"

It is obvious to me you r opinion of on rasils is cornering on your tricycle as a todler, cause I know these cars like the back of my hand and my expertize knows your ccar's handling chaqrateristics with the modifications you calim and those crappy shocks, sorry bub, you are not on rails.

your persistancy to save face is making yourself look like an ***. Calling me a new person around here make yourself look like a ***. Do you realize m tenure here? Obviously not or you would not have pick the worse person to try and agrue suspensions with here.

Tell you what. Post lateral #'s, not bulshitt type and hype... I have.

Your shocks suck...period. I had them once.

Last edited by Vetruck; 01-28-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 AM

I know that series, very cool, Id LOVE to run in it....but the car is still being built and SoCal is a LONG way from here.....I'll do some local tracks both road course and oval when it gets done.....about as far away as I would go would be Watkins Glen......the east coast (mostly South east, Road Atlanta, VIR etc) V8Stockcar series guys want me to run but its still far.....my business doesnt allow me to take too many days off in the summer
You ever need to pick my brain on setups and testing then feel free to email me anytime for help. I can offer advicxe on any weakness without compromising other strong cornering points and bring you up to speed safely with little changes at a time.

Dean

ps- I have 2-wins and 5-3rd finsihes (plus one 3rd overall championship out of 41 Supertruck feild) in my 17 race history as a crewcheif in NASCAR Whelan Series. I am engraved in the history books at Toyota Speedway as a winning crewcheif. I was only out of the top ten 3 of 17 races
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 AM

"Ctitan, You've now said three times you never claimed your shocks to be performance shocks...yet, you have claimed several times in the same breathe that your car "is on rails"

It is obvious to me you r opinion of on rasils is cornering on your tricycle as a todler, cause I know these cars like the back of my hand and my expertize knows your ccar's handling chaqrateristics with the modifications you calim and those crappy shocks, sorry bub, you are not on rails.

your persistancy to save face is making yourself look like an ***. Calling me a new person around here make yourself look like a ***. Do you realize m tenure here? Obviously not or you would not have pick the worse person to try and agrue suspensions with here.

Tell you what. Post lateral #'s, not bulshitt type and hype... I have.

Your shocks suck...period. I had them once.
**Yawn

Your lack of grammar and proper spelling amazes me... Must be your Ego typing, blinded by its own arrogance...

I know who you are and I couldn't give two flyin' F#$%'s... To me you're nothing but a Grade A D-Bag... Do you think because you have a Sticky, that gives you the right to go around and trash talk peoples cars?? No, I don't think so... Like it or not, I stated my opinion and i'm sticking to it... If anyone has made an *** out of them-selves, you sir are looking at nothing but your own reflection...

Last edited by C-Titan; 01-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

I think my car also drives like it is on rails, but the only problem I have is there are NO railroad track to drive on where I live. Everyone has a opinon the same as everyone has a butt hole.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Car: Turbo Trans Am #579
Engine: 231ci (3.8L) LC2 (Buick Turbo)
Transmission: 200r4
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9-bolt

You ever need to pick my brain on setups and testing then feel free to email me anytime for help. I can offer advicxe on any weakness without compromising other strong cornering points and bring you up to speed safely with little changes at a time.

Dean

ps- I have 2-wins and 5-3rd finsihes (plus one 3rd overall championship out of 41 Supertruck feild) in my 17 race history as a crewcheif in NASCAR Whelan Series. I am engraved in the history books at Toyota Speedway as a winning crewcheif. I was only out of the top ten 3 of 17 races
Dean,

I'm in your neck of the woods, picked up a TTA last year and I'd love to pick your brain on the suspension some time.

**Yawn

Your lack of grammar and proper spelling amazes me... Must be your Ego typing, blinded by its own arrogance...

I know who you are and I couldn't give two flyin' F#$%'s... To me you're nothing but a Grade A D-Bag... Do you think because you have a Sticky, that gives you the right to go around and trash talk peoples cars?? No, I don't think so... Like it or not, I stated my opinion and i'm sticking to it... If anyone has made an *** out of them-selves, you sir are looking at nothing but your own reflection...
Chris,

Your spelling isn't much better. (On a post dated 01-26-2010 06:13 PM you typed "were" instead of "where".) Typos are a fact of life, and pointing them out in a discussion just distracts from any point you may have had.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Guys, enough, seriously.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

lol amusing... im engraved in the history books of NJ... most driver license points accumulated at one single pullover! it was 15pts lol thats equal to about 4 violations and loss of license imediatly plus the cop punches u in the face for good measure lol. but i got it down to 2pt with a lawyer and 2000$ in fines. and im still terrorizing the streets of jerz!!! watchout nowww.

DJP87Z28... couldnt u have said bellybutton? buttholes disturb me

everyone states there car is on rails. no matter how good u think ur car is, theres always gona be someone whos alittle better. vetruck knows his SHlT so to everyone there own. can someone spell check my post? pretty sure i messed up a bunch of times its a forum ppl! not a research paper!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
I Appologize for losing my cool, very rare for me...

Originally Posted by customblackbird
lol amusing... im engraved in the history books of NJ... most driver license points accumulated at one single pullover! it was 15pts lol thats equal to about 4 violations and loss of license imediatly plus the cop punches u in the face for good measure lol.

DJP87Z28... couldnt u have said bellybutton? buttholes disturb me
Been there - Done that - Still got the Knuckle marks! Let's just say, I now take the long way around Cumberland County... haha
Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 AM

Yes, My apologizes also to you Ctitan and everyone. This is a forum to help everyone and I try to base facts so people can spend their money wisely off of accurate data. I do not try to make people feel like crap for buying parts, but fact is, people need to have a scaled comparison to base parts purchases off of.

We all work hard for our money.

AND...My keyboard sucks, and I am a crappy 2 finger peck typer.

Dean
Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 AM

Yes, My apologizes also to you Ctitan and everyone. This is a forum to help everyone and I try to base facts so people can spend their money wisely off of accurate data. I do not try to make people feel like crap for buying parts, but fact is, people need to have a scaled comparison to base parts purchases off of.

We all work hard for our money.

AND...My keyboard sucks, and I am a crappy 2 finger peck typer.

Dean

It's all good homie, my apologies to you too...

Now let's all hold hands, crack a beer, and sing some Coombya!!

haha
Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

wat about custom springs. i thought eibach would make a set since thats what ive heard on here but they say they dont make custom spring rates/heights for stock setup unless u wanted to make 200-300 sets lol.

where can u get decent priced custom height/spring rate springs?