Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Will this spring compressor work and is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://toolsandmore.us/coilspringcompressor3.aspx
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Will this spring compressor work and is it safe?

Safe, yes.

Whether it will work, I kinda doubt it... problem would be, that plate looking thing that goes on the bottom, I think is too thick to come out of the coils once it's all put together.

And, the screw is too long, it will hit the top of the strut tower, unless you put a piece of pipe or something on it, to take up some of the length, and make the extra screw stick through the control arm out the bottom instead.

Only kind I've had dependable success with in these cars is the 4 hook kind. And even those, require the spacer deal.

But it might. Only way to know is to try it.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn posi 3.73

That looks like the same type of spring compressor that you can rent from autozone. Its terrible for our cars and I wasted my time trying to use it. Luckily I only rented it and got my money back.

Get one that has two pairs of hooks like this one. It won't come with that little piece of pipe, but you can get that in your local hardware store for like a dollar or so. You really need that section of pipe to take up some slack on the threaded rod.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

I have one of the 4 hook style compressors as well. It works fine, if you put a piece of pipe on the screw as mentioned above. The first style listed should work fine if you put the fork piece under the control arm, not through the coils of the spring. Dont forget a piece of heavy chain wrapped around the arm and brought the coils as an added safety precaution. My compressor slipped once, and its a really scary thing to experience.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

That is EXACTLY the sping compressor you should use. I've installed at least a dozen sets of front springs using that compressor ( rented it from AutoZone.)

See this thread for a bit more info:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...g-install.html

Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27's

I was just looking at the pic and it looks like there may be a nail in the tire....
Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Thanx for the passing that on - I'm not losing air but will check it out !

Those are just rotted steel 14" 'roller' wheels mounted on that car. I've got to re-finish the factory GTA wheels before I will remount them.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Car: Pontiac 89 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI 5.7L V8

I have that same tool you posted (http://toolsandmore.us/coilspringcompressor3.aspx ) Use it once in a Grand Marquis but culdn't compress the spring all the whay but may be I use it wrong but it is a strong peace.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

I used this tool exactly once and gave up on it. The only thing it did was ram the threaded rod through the top of my K-member and punched a hole in my frame rail. That was 8 years ago and Ive since learned the solution to that was a simple length of pipe, I still prefer the jack method for front springs
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket
I used this tool exactly once and gave up on it. The only thing it did was ram the threaded rod through the top of my K-member and punched a hole in my frame rail. That was 8 years ago and Ive since learned the solution to that was a simple length of pipe, I still prefer the jack method for front springs
I'm thinking a length of pipe could still be used with the autozone compressor (or washers). ?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

In the pic I posted you can see the stack of washers that I used when installing the spring. You can also see that there is an "airport runway" worth of space above the compressors threaded rod and using washers provided more room than was ever needed at the top.

By setting the spring properly in the pocket first ( using the jack method basically ) then inserting the spring compressor thru the pre-set assembly your already partially compressing the spring. Sure; Not much, but enough to make a difference. Doing so also allows the "claw" end of the comresoor to garb at the best place at the top of the coil and without interfering with the engine cradles spring pocket. ( MUCH better than trying to compress the spring while it's completely unmounted and then sticking it in there - or trying to bolt the ends of the control arms in place and lifting the spindle end to pivot the spring in place. )

I'd call my proccess a combination of the jack and the compressor method. Everyone has in thier pocket and this is just - by far - the best way that I've found to install front springs over the last 20 years.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by John in RI
In the pic I posted you can see the stack of washers that I used when installing the spring. You can also see that there is an "airport runway" worth of space above the compressors threaded rod and using washers provided more room than was ever needed at the top.

By setting the spring properly in the pocket first ( using the jack method basically ) then inserting the spring compressor thru the pre-set assembly your already partially compressing the spring. Sure; Not much, but enough to make a difference. Doing so also allows the "claw" end of the comresoor to garb at the best place at the top of the coil and without interfering with the engine cradles spring pocket. ( MUCH better than trying to compress the spring while it's completely unmounted and then sticking it in there - or trying to bolt the ends of the control arms in place and lifting the spindle end to pivot the spring in place. )

I'd call my proccess a combination of the jack and the compressor method. Everyone has in thier pocket and this is just - by far - the best way that I've found to install front springs over the last 20 years.

the ball joint nut is partially on right? Is the strut mounted at the top but not at the bottom?

i will need 2 jacks correct? i guess when you have the control arm pivot bolts in, then the spring work is complete?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by whatdayasay
the ball joint nut is partially on right? Is the strut mounted at the top but not at the bottom?

i will need 2 jacks correct? i guess when you have the control arm pivot bolts in, then the spring work is complete?

The ball joint should be completely installed.

The top ( and bottom ) of the strut should be completely installed.

Yes, 2 jacks,....... one under each pivot arm of the control arm.

When the 2 control arm pivot bolts are thru and the nuts are installed - the springs are in.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM

The ball joint should be completely installed.

The top ( and bottom ) of the strut should be completely installed.

Yes, 2 jacks,....... one under each pivot arm of the control arm.

When the 2 control arm pivot bolts are thru and the nuts are installed - the springs are in.

so i install the ball joint in the control arm, connect the strut to the car, connect the steering knuckle to the strut, connect the control arm to the steering knuckle, place the spring and compressor on the control arm, jack in the pivot bolts, connect the sway bar link.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

\
so i install the ball joint in the control arm,
connect the strut to the car,
connect the steering knuckle to the strut,
connect the control arm to the steering knuckle,
place the spring and compressor on the control arm,
jack in the pivot bolts,
connect the sway bar link.
I also like keeping the Steering Linkages (Tie Rods) removed -or at least disconnected - from the Spindle (knuckle) till just after the pivot bolts are installed.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM

I also like keeping the Steering Linkages (Tie Rods) removed -or at least disconnected - from the Spindle (knuckle) till just after the pivot bolts are installed.

John in RI,

Got the control arm all prepped. I have the new strut. I have the autozone spring compressor. My spring and steering knuckle is off the car.

What do you recomend that I do next? Do I mount the steering knuckle to the control arm away from the vehicle? Do I mount the strut to the steering knuckle away from the vehicle? Do I mount the spring and compressor to the control arm away from the vehicle? What sequence do you recomend? It looks like the only thing that will keep the assembly held to the vehicle is when I connect the strut to the car. I plan on doing the sway bar connection and tie rod connection last.

I will get the second floor jack tomorrow.

What length of pipe do you recomend to use with the spring compressor?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in

Shouldnt need a spring compressor keep a jack under the a arm and pop the spring into the spring perch then jack up the a arm i done it that way plenty of times using moog springs didnt have to cut any coils either
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77

I used the same compressor when I did my springs. It was very safe for me and I had them swapped out in no time. I would definitely use it again if I had to change springs again. Here's a link to a thread when I did mine. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...-work-day.html
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

I'd install the Strut to the strut tower first. Then install the spindle (steering knuckle) to the strut, then the Ball joint (control arm) to the spindle. This whole assembly would then be hanging off the body from the strut tower. Place the spring in the pocket ( be sure to index it properly so you can see thru one of the inspection holes in the control arm ) and raise the "arms" of the lower control arm until the spring touches the upper perch inside the engine cradle by placing a jack under each arm. Raise each jack a few pumps to set the spring in place and then place the spring compressor inside the spring and continue installing as previously outlined.

I prefer to use large washers rather than a length of pipe on the compressor because I can adjust the size of the spacer as needed. I don't recall the overall length / height of the "spacer", but you can see from the pic that it's a bit shorter than the size of the socket needed for the spring compressor.

Shouldn't need a spring compressor keep a jack under the a arm and pop the spring into the spring perch then jack up the a arm i done it that way plenty of times using moog springs didnt have to cut any coils either
In some cases that's true..... but it's NOT possible if there is no engine in the car. In ALL cases; everything is MUCH more stable with the compressor in place and it's much easier & safer to re-adjust the jacks ( if needed ) when the compressor is used.