Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

OTC 7045B spring compressor. Don't cheap out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears
OTC 7045B spring compressor. Don't cheap out.

Amazon Amazon

I have to stress the importance of using the correct and quality made tool for this job. The autozone compressor will get you hurt or killed. I cannot believe members here have actually tried this compressor. The Mercedes compressor I keep seeing posted here is one I would only trust if it's a legit Mercedes compressor, not a cheap China made copy made with subpar steel. Problem with the cheap copies is the screw part of it gets galled under a lot of tension. The $ you think your saving will be ultimately water under the bridge when you break a bone or get seriously hurt compressing springs. Don't cheap out here. The right tool, either the 7045B or a real Mercedes compressor tool is all you should be considering for this job. You cannot put a dollar figure on your life and well being. I hate to see members getting hurt because of bad info and advice being posted here.Don't cheap out.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: OTC 7045B spring compressor. Don't cheap out.

All of the major autopart chain stores have rent-a-tool programs. They all use the same tools just relabeled. I was a manager at an AutoZone for 4 years during and right after college and in that time I never had or heard or read of a customer hurting themselves with any of the spring compressing tools that we rented out. In fact, it wasn't until the last year on this website that I began reading about the clandestine plot of my spring compressor to kill me.

Yes, the possibility to hurt yourself exists when you start working with an enormous amount of stored energy but if you take sensical steps (ie use a tool only as intended, don't use it if it is loose, bent, cracked, "galled" etc.) then your chances of injury fall dramatically.

If you are one of those people who thinks that a spring compressor is uber dangerous than what do you think of table saws, band saws, angle grinders, jack hammers, O/A torches?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by Tibo
All of the major autopart chain stores have rent-a-tool programs. They all use the same tools just relabeled. I was a manager at an AutoZone for 4 years during and right after college and in that time I never had or heard or read of a customer hurting themselves with any of the spring compressing tools that we rented out. In fact, it wasn't until the last year on this website that I began reading about the clandestine plot of my spring compressor to kill me.

Yes, the possibility to hurt yourself exists when you start working with an enormous amount of stored energy but if you take sensical steps (ie use a tool only as intended, don't use it if it is loose, bent, cracked, "galled" etc.) then your chances of injury fall dramatically.

If you are one of those people who thinks that a spring compressor is uber dangerous than what do you think of table saws, band saws, angle grinders, jack hammers, O/A torches?
They don't call it Vatozone for no reason. At Vatozone those tools work great on Hondas.Thats what they are made for. You have read and heard on this site about spring compressors trying to kill you. Have you attempted to use the Vatozone tool on Iroc springs? If not you really have no standing in this conversation. I have. First tried it long ago. The key is "tried" Yes it could be done. Anything could be done by luck or chance. You say take sensical steps? A sensical step is to use the correct tool. The Vatozone tool is not the correct tool. That tool is not made to compress springs of that magnitude. End of story. Just because it looks like it does with the curved hooks. It seems you come from the harbor freight/ vatozone school of tools. Cheap as possible,looks like it works because it looks like the same tool that cost 100s more. Made in China? Who cares. Looks exactly like the tool that cost $300 and I'm paying $80. Thing is any tool can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I'll use your angle grinder statement as example. A know it all uses it no safety glasses. Ever get hot metal in your eye? No maybe you haven't. But do it enough times and it only takes once. It takes one time to cut off your thumb on a band saw too. I don't know why you would try to dissect a simple thread on safety. Do you want to see people get injured or hurt? You err on the side of it hasn't happened to me so It can't happen. Better to be safe than to listen to people saying not to worry. Those people won't be around when you get hurt or be there to help you out.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a compressor at all. Done properly and with enough vehicle height properly supported. Put a chain for safety to lower control arm thru spring. Put floor jack under lower control arm. Undo ball joint, tie rod end and stabilizer link. Slowly low jack and control arm. Once all the way down at most a pry out of pocket and it's out. It getd tricky with some headers for the arm to come down without hitting tubes. I've been doing it that way for some forty years now, never had one get away
Joe
Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
They don't call it Vatozone for no reason. At Vatozone those tools work great on Hondas.Thats what they are made for. You have read and heard on this site about spring compressors trying to kill you. Have you attempted to use the Vatozone tool on Iroc springs? If not you really have no standing in this conversation. I have. First tried it long ago. The key is "tried" Yes it could be done. Anything could be done by luck or chance. You say take sensical steps? A sensical step is to use the correct tool. The Vatozone tool is not the correct tool. That tool is not made to compress springs of that magnitude. End of story. Just because it looks like it does with the curved hooks. It seems you come from the harbor freight/ vatozone school of tools. Cheap as possible,looks like it works because it looks like the same tool that cost 100s more. Made in China? Who cares. Looks exactly like the tool that cost $300 and I'm paying $80. Thing is any tool can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I'll use your angle grinder statement as example. A know it all uses it no safety glasses. Ever get hot metal in your eye? No maybe you haven't. But do it enough times and it only takes once. It takes one time to cut off your thumb on a band saw too. I don't know why you would try to dissect a simple thread on safety. Do you want to see people get injured or hurt? You err on the side of it hasn't happened to me so It can't happen. Better to be safe than to listen to people saying not to worry. Those people won't be around when you get hurt or be there to help you out.
By chance, are "from the government and here to help?"

I never said it hadn't happened to me so it can't happen. Many of your assumptions you made were also incorrect. My point was that if springs compressors were as hazardous as many have recently claimed they are then I would have seen liability waivers, internal policies, meetings and training about spring compressors as rent-a-tools. Not to mention the plethora of mangled customers returning their loaned spring compressor that I would have seen.

I actually own the exact spring compressor that autoZone rents out. At the time I used my discount to buy one new. I've owned it for 8-10 years and used it at least 2 dozen times on all types of Camaro springs including this infamous IROC spring. Matter of fact I just used it 4 times in the last year to install the IROC springs on my current Camaro. It worked just fine with an impact and oil on the threads.

You didn't make a simple thread on safety, you made a post that was blatantly biased and wildly accusatory so I am responding that there is no major safety issue with a spring compressor in good shape that is used appropriately.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff

I've used the hook type compressor for years on all different kinds of springs, including the springs on my Trans Am on both the old ones, and the new replacements. The biggest issue I had was trying to angle everything correctly, getting enough springs compressed, etc, while trying to fit it into the pocket. There was a lot of dicking around. If you read and follow the directions (it very specifically indicates you need to lubricate the threads).

I fail to see how it could just randomly explode if used properly.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The hook types can slip off because the hooks can cam right off the coils.

This is getting stupid. Everyone just needs to use their best judgement.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I have the tool that you linked, and I am so glad I bought it. I have used it on my Firebird several times, and on my trucks since there is no way to remove or install the spring in the trucks WITHOUT a compressor. Having it made it so much easier to do the Firebird, and the only way possible since there was no interior, engine or trans in the car.

Definitely recommend.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 350 Tpi
Transmission: 700r4

To the OP do you own or have you used the China marcedes spring compressor? I own one and have used it 20-25 times on various maeceades where you have to compress the coil tighter then on a 3rd gen . While most China products are cheap and not worth the money it was highly recommnded by the mercades forum I belong to . It is a nice quality tool that I use over and over with no issue. Keep the thread oiled and impact away and It will last. Just my opinion from someone who owns and uses it
Old 03-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I rented an autozone spring compressor to use on my xj cherokee springs which are most likely a lot more heavy duty than the springs in thirdgens. worked fine.

Im with you on buying good quality USA tools and I strongly dislike autozone as well but if the threads arent galled, the tool is in good working condition, and you put a chain through the spring while compressing and dont point the spring at your body while handling it then the odds of you getting hurt are very very low
Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula T-Top
Engine: 350 TPI + some bits
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I am in the midst of front spring changes now.

I bought the cheapest Amazon one. Why? Because regardless if it's the cheapest China junk or the most expensive Snap-on (?) there is still the possibility that it could let go at any time and the worst moment. So I protect my surroundings and myself when it's under pressure expecting it to let go at any moment.

Also maybe because I have limited experience doing springs the disconnecting the a-arm process is not doable for me. I loosen the brake lines, undo the top strut bolt, remove the sway bar and steering link and put an old belt through the spring. I slowly lower the arm. I don't need a compressor to remove the spring but do to put it back in.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 AM

Car: 92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Also in the middle of doing an install. I've tried the autozone version with the shoe, and the double sided hook version. Neither seems to have the strength to keeps it's grip enough to compress the spring a reasonable amount. Kinda stuck at this point lol. Quality isn't an issue, it's design.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 AM

Car: 92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

That being said, these are my last shot at victory. Just two day'd them (ugh...) And on Monday, were gonna give this another shot.
I shoot youtube videos, so it's beyond frustrating being stuck due to sucking...