Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Heidts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Heidts

Hello TGO, we are happy to be a new sponsor for the site and look forward to offering quality components to the 3rd gen community.

Most of you already know Heidts offers the only IRS rear suspension specifically engineered for the 3rd gen F body, but we would also like to let everyone know if you didn't already, that we produce a full line of bolt on components too.

We have k-members, rear arms, drop brackets, TQ arm, 1 piece strut braces, roll bars, coil over kits and so on.. all made in the USA.

Be on the look out for special offerings and if you have any questions please contact us.

Thank You!

The following 4 users liked this post by heidtssuspensions:
DynoDave43 (07-23-2019), Neil350 (07-25-2019), RunawayRadio (08-01-2019), scooter (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: Built LS
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Heidts

In one of your packages it shows a 3 point Strut tower brace that looks like it would clear a air cleaner but I didn't see that listed as a single item.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

If it is the solid 3 point TBI/carbed brace you are asking about the part number is CF-426
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm interested in the 3rd gen IRS, but I have yet to see any handing data from anyone.
I'd like to see a test of your IRS vs. a properly setup solid axle( proper spring rates, shock, and roll centers).
It's extremely hard to justify a $8,000 purchase when the only people who have it say "it handles good" but have no data to back that up.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by McLovin1181
I'm interested in the 3rd gen IRS, but I have yet to see any handing data from anyone.
I'd like to see a test of your IRS vs. a properly setup solid axle( proper spring rates, shock, and roll centers).
It's extremely hard to justify a $8,000 purchase when the only people who have it say "it handles good" but have no data to back that up.
Devil's advocate here, what data are you looking for? Lap times? Skid pad numbers? Slalom course stuff? Autox? Road course? Drifting? What's your definition of "proper" when it comes to spring rates? 800lb? 1000lb? What's your shock choice? I'm only trying to state that handling in a chassis like ours is reeeeeaaallly subjective. Are you looking at caged sub-3klb race cars or full weight street cars? Asking for data and then being real vague about what "data" you want just seems like your poking at their price point. I do agree, apples to apples testing on an IRS setup would be cool to see but you'd have to see testing across many different tracks, many different cars and many different setups to appease anywhere close to an entire audience. Which would be crazy expensive as well as just being difficult to find comparable cars to test.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Data on maximum later Gs and comparable lap times is what I'd like to see.
Wouldn't be hard to test a 3rd gen before and after the IRS install.
Especially when most built 3rd gens for handling have basically the same parts.
(Koni yelows, SFC, ex)

Those numbers would definitely make me feel better about spending $8K and hacking up the stock unibody.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Data on maximum later Gs and comparable lap times is what I'd like to see.
Wouldn't be hard to test a 3rd gen before and after the IRS install.
Especially when most built 3rd gens for handling have basically the same parts.
(Koni yelows, SFC, ex)

Those numbers would definitely make me feel better about spending $8K and hacking up the stock unibody.
Both of those numbers could be skewed by a good marketing guy. Choose a track with uneven or dodgey asphalt like Pacific Raceways and you'd might see a huge difference. Take the same two cars to The Ridge or Oregon Raceway Park that both have fairly fresh, smooth surface and a well setup stick axle car will be hard to show a huge improvement for. Especially from a driver that's experienced with how to make a thirdgen go in the right direction. Yes IRS is better but most drivers aren't going to be able to wring out the absolute last bit. What if Randy Pobst took a thirdgen to ORP and put down a 15 second a lap improvement. Would you be pissed if you went slower around the same track after dropping 8k? I'm not trying to be an *** here. IRS here is really going to shine on a daily driver/street car. Thirdgens have been raced for decades and like porsches and their rear engine setup, unless you improve the design the formulas for fast lap times have been pretty much figured out.

Having said all that, I'd do IRS in a heartbeat. 8k is totally justifiable but way out of my budget. I'm just too poor.
The following users liked this post:
heidtssuspensions (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by iansane
Devil's advocate here, what data are you looking for? Lap times? Skid pad numbers? Slalom course stuff? Autox? Road course? Drifting? What's your definition of "proper" when it comes to spring rates? 800lb? 1000lb? What's your shock choice? I'm only trying to state that handling in a chassis like ours is reeeeeaaallly subjective. Are you looking at caged sub-3klb race cars or full weight street cars? Asking for data and then being real vague about what "data" you want just seems like your poking at their price point. I do agree, apples to apples testing on an IRS setup would be cool to see but you'd have to see testing across many different tracks, many different cars and many different setups to appease anywhere close to an entire audience. Which would be crazy expensive as well as just being difficult to find comparable cars to test.

Iansane, exactly..well said

I can say a couple things, I can post what we did with our test car and improvements we saw but this was done for R&D purposes not for marketing and this may not be the same scenario as you and your car so your results will more than likely differ. Testing was done with the development car we do have that data and numbers from this. We have done testing with both stock and bolt on configurations compared to IRS. This was done on the same track with the same driver.

We do currently have an IRS equipped car (4th Gen) running in USCA and he is in 4th place in GT class among a sea of ZL1 1LE Camaros, and GT500 mustangs cars that are much newer, have more technology to help with handling( advanced traction control settings, better ABS systems and so on), and have more power. He also has consistently run faster with the IRS in his car than he did with the solid axle set up on the tracks he has previous times for and he has less power than he had previously due to an engine failure.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 PM

Testing on a rough track and a smooth one would be a perfect test.
It would show the IRS strengths.
They claimed to have spent 3 months testing their first engineering car.
But they never posted any numbers.

Part of me thinks their IRS might be worse that a properly setup solid axle.
But I'd like to see real performance numbers to disprove/prove it.
The top ranked 3rd gens in AutoX are all axle cars so that makes me think.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Nice to see you guys here!
Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks chazman
Old 07-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by heidtssuspensions
Thanks chazman
I'm guessing this is Scott?

I'm Charlie from ThirdGen Expo.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Testing on a rough track and a smooth one would be a perfect test.
It would show the IRS strengths.
They claimed to have spent 3 months testing their first engineering car.
But they never posted any numbers.

Part of me thinks their IRS might be worse that a properly setup solid axle.
But I'd like to see real performance numbers to disprove/prove it.
The top ranked 3rd gens in AutoX are all axle cars so that makes me think.
We don't claim, we did test our car and continuously do. If you would like to discuss please contact Perry in engineering and he would be happy to answer your questions. We have definite results on our car I do not believe our numbers are an accurate way of assessing weather or not this product is a good fit for you. Do you have these numbers from every other manufacturer and every part that they make or you have purchased? Our numbers will make no difference to your car unless it is exactly the same on the same track with the same driver...

Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM

I hate to be a downer, but my 1992 RS matches and beats 6th gen 1LE at my local AutoX.
I also Have fairly mild parts and the stock boat anchor 5.0 TBI
I still have KYB stock struts lol
Beating them isn't too difficult considering how heavy 6th gens are.

However, I'd really like to see the numbers from the IRS test car.
Other companies that make 3rd gen parts seem to be a lot more active.
For example: It's hard to find any major meet where Detroit Speeds 3rd gen isn't at.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I hate to be a downer, but my 1992 RS matches and beats 6th gen 1LE at my local AutoX.
I also Have fairly mild parts and the stock boat anchor 5.0 TBI
I still have KYB stock struts lol
Beating them isn't too difficult considering how heavy 6th gens are.

However, I'd really like to see the numbers from the IRS test car.
Other companies that make 3rd gen parts seem to be a lot more active.
For example: It's hard to find any major meet where Detroit Speeds
at.

You are correct other companies have been active we have not been as active nationally with these products but we are changing that.... Like i said our current sponsored car is 4th in USCA's GT class ....but I guess those ZL1 1LE cars are easy to beat.

Last edited by heidtssuspensions; 07-25-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

As stated before this thread was started to let everyone know we are a new forum sponsor and let the community know about our bolt on offerings.
Jaysz28 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Well, I welcome more aftermarket parts for our Thurd gens.

As per the other comment: I cannot come close to the orange ZL1 1LE at my local AutoX. Especially since he's running Slicks and he's the course maker.
I'm referring to the seven 6th gen SS 1LE i run with.
The ZL1 is another animal.

I'd just like to see some good data on the IRS system

I'm sitting next to a Mechanical engineer, aerospace engineer, electrical engineer, and a guy who has a PHD and works for NASA.
They said y'all should have a lot more data about your product.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 482 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1

Independents are all about adjustability, you can adjust for the almost infinite variables that you encounter as an enthusiast. Although adjustable, a live axle has limits, close ones. The numbers on the live axle can be assigned to the IRS if that's what you want, and then you have a wider comfort zone with the IRS. I've had it both ways, and although on a smooth track like Portland the live axle cars are competitive, when moving to Seattle which is a relatively rough track where the ride height has to be generous, there is no comparing the feel of the live axle to the IRS. The more comfortable the driver can feel, the closer to the limit he's willing to get. Heidts has really done third gen lovers a great service here.... And I agree 100% that if it's only a street car, it's just as important.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Talk to Bruce at Hawks Motorsports. I think they have a car (Silver Streak) with this IRS package that was in a magazine shootout.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 155 Likes on 99 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

I have the heidts Kmember in my car that I got when I attended the thirdgen Expo in my formula. Great fitment and clearance.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=QwkTrip;6316482]Talk to Bruce at Hawks Motorsports. I think they have a car (Silver Streak) with this IRS package that was in a magazine shootout.[/QU

Yes Silverstreak has our IRS and complete front end and yes we sent it to Super Chevy's shootout and came in 2nd place
Old 07-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1

I wish someone made a K-member that had structure going up into the strut tower to properly support the load of a coil over those strut towers are just not designed to handle that much load. Set up to use a 4th gen power rack-n-pinion. Or at least built in weight jacks on the k-member.

If you think about the IRS though... $8k seems like a lot until you sit down and do the math. A nice tubular poly rear suspension is going to run you $1500 + $3500 for a nice diff set up. So you are really only paying another $3k over the top of a nice rear "stock-style" set up.

Though I have to ask can you take the gas tank out with the IRS without taking the entire rear end apart, Almost seems like you should make a tank strap reversal kit that drops the straps down in the back vs the front.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aviator857
If you think about the IRS though... $8k seems like a lot until you sit down and do the math. A nice tubular poly rear suspension is going to run you $1500 + $3500 for a nice diff set up. So you are really only paying another $3k over the top of a nice rear "stock-style" set up.

Very good point you make and I tell this to many people... also depending on what level of bolt on upgrades, rear housings, and brake selections this delta between that and the IRS gets way less.

Originally Posted by Aviator857
I Though I have to ask can you take the gas tank out with the IRS without taking the entire rear end apart, Almost seems like you should make a tank strap reversal kit that drops the straps down in the back vs the front.

The IRS does not need to be fully disassembled but it does need to be lowered out of the car. You disconnect the driveshaft,drop your exhaust,unbolt the calipers, 2 shock bolts and 6 mounting bolts and it drops out as a full unit then the tank can come out. We can drop the IRS out of our car in about a half hour.
RunawayRadio (08-01-2019)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Originally Posted by heidtssuspensions
Hello TGO, we are happy to be a new sponsor for the site and look forward to offering quality components to the 3rd gen community.

Most of you already know Heidts offers the only IRS rear suspension specifically engineered for the 3rd gen F body, but we would also like to let everyone know if you didn't already, that we produce a full line of bolt on components too.

We have k-members, rear arms, drop brackets, TQ arm, 1 piece strut braces, roll bars, coil over kits and so on.. all made in the USA.

Be on the look out for special offerings and if you have any questions please contact us.

Thank You!
do you have a strut tower brace for crossfire injected cars?