TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

ATTENTION: holley projection intake owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 09:03 PM
J&J92RS

ATTENTION: holley projection intake owners

i recently place the holley projection intake on my 92 rs. come to find out the stock intake bolts are too long. they were rubbing on the pushrods. i didn't figure this out until i had the car running again, so it was a pain to just fix them again. i went to Lowes and found some that would work.

------------------
92 Camaro RS
305 tbi
5-speed, Hurst shifter
stock heads
=================
open element
k&n filter
accel 8mm wires
bosch platinum plugs
headman hedders & y-pipe
hooker maxflow muffler
gutted cat
hypertech prom
posi 3.42
Old 09-14-2000, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have been looking at this intake but have also heard that mod's are required to fuel lines and throttle cables due to location of TBI. Sounds like a pain in the *** . Do you think the manifold is worth it?.....

------------------
91 camaro RS convert
t-5
open element air cleaner
TBI spacer
Flowmaster muffler
Old 09-15-2000, 07:56 AM

should be interesting seeing how I've got a Holley Projection manifold on the way to me from Summit as we speak!

J&J92RS, what other problems did you run into...fuel lines, throttle cable being to short or anything like that? How does your car run compared to the stock intake?

Thanks for the input!

------------------
1988 TA 300+hp 350 w/ TBI and Holley TB unit,
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

[This message has been edited by badbird88 (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old 09-15-2000, 02:50 PM

I have a Holley Projection intake on my brand new 350. I used ARP 12pt. stainless steel Chevy intake bolts and they worked fine.

I already see that I will have a fuel line issue. The Holley intake mounts the TBI about 1/2" further forward than stock. This makes using the stock fuel lines almost impossible. I plan on cutting the stock lines about 1" out of the TBI inlets and 1" after the mounting bracket at the front of the engine. In between the stock hard lines I will run braided fuel lines to make a "custom fit" fuel line setup. I don't believe there is another way to do it.

There are at least 2 holes that will need to be plugged on the Holley intake. Mine came with several plugs, so they are now in the unneeded holes (1 at the rear by the distributor and 1 by the thermostat housing).

The Holley intake also comes with a nice throttle/TV cable mounting bracket that mounts just behind the TBI and to the driver's side. This bracket looks like it will work with the stock cables, but it is also part of the fuel line issue. With the bracket on the intake, there's no way the stock fuel lines will fit properly. You can still use the stock bracket as there are holes in the stock locations at the back of the intake.

My personal unsolved problem is the EGR valve. It's not the same as the one on the stock TBI intake and I have yet to find the right one. Does anyone have a part # for the correct one?

Another minor modification is to the heater hose that mounts at the passenger side rear of the stock intake. This hose and fitting now has to mount to the passenger side front of the Holley intake. No big deal, just shorten the stock heater hose.

I have a 1/2" TBI spacer between the Holley intake and the Holley 670TBI. When you open the throttle plates, it looks very nice and smooth....no restrictions and a perfect transition from TBI to intake. It should flow a ****load of air & fuel!!

That is my experience so far with the Holley Projection intake. I'm dropping my engine in soon, so we'll see how well it works!!

FYI: My last Camaro had an Edelbrock carb intake with a Holley TBI adapter plate. It worked ok with my Holley 670TBI, but looked kind of hokey and "rigged". The Projection intake is nice and clean looking...almost stock. It's also specifically designed for the Holley TBI. That is why I chose the Projection intake this time around.

------------------
'92 RS, ZZ4 10:1 350, Edelbrock 6085 heads, Crane 208/214 467/482 cam, GM 1.6 true roller rockers, Holley Projection TBI intake, Holley 670 TBI, SLP/Jet-Hot 1-5/8" headers, Catco 3" cat, Flowmaster 3" catback, Hughes 2500 stall converter, stock 700R4, Auburn Pro posi w/3.42, 17x9" SS rims w/BFG tires, Medium Quasar Blue w/white SS stripes, 48,000 miles....
Old 09-15-2000, 09:29 PM

Hey Scott, what type of programming are you going to run, or are ya running the stock chip for the time being? Looks like your setup should require at least a hotter chip.

------------------
Jerry

-------------------------
89 RS Lt Blue T-Tops T5
355 Crate, Compucam 2040
Pst Front Hotchkis Rear
Edle. TES 3" Flowmaster
Harwood hood, bla, bla, bla...
94 Z28, LT1 6M, Black
Most of the bolt-ons
-------------------------
Old 09-15-2000, 10:45 PM

thanks for the info Scott, I beginning to see all the wonderful things I would have saw when I got out there under my hood thinking it would be a simple intake swap...lol. It never fails, I go to do a quick and simple job and one thing after another pops up, these message boards are wonderful.

------------------
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

2000 GMC Sierra Regular Cab Stepside
285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff.
Old 09-16-2000, 10:25 AM

Jerry,

I'm trying to decide between Ed Wright, Howell or Turbo City. I'm leaning towards Ed Wright, but they are the most expensive ($300). I guess you get what you pay for?

I'm certain I'll need a custom chip with all of the changes I've made. I see you have a 355 in your '89. What did you do as far as a chip? What are the specs on that 2040 cam? Are you happy with it? I'm thinking mine is on the milder side, but I was told to stay on the safe side. With the 2500 stall and 3.42 it should haul *** anyway. I wanted a ton of torque and I think I have the right combo for that.

Badbird,
How does your car run? I like the parts you've chosen, they're similar to mine.

[This message has been edited by Scott C (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old 09-16-2000, 10:57 PM

Scott,

Mine runs pretty good but the stock intake is killing my upper end. I finally bought the tach adapter after putting it off for a long long time and was amazed at how bad the stock intake was killing me. THe cam is an LT1 cam so it makes it's peak hp around 5200-5300 rpm and redlines around 5500 but the first time I got out on the road with my tach actually going past 3000 rpm I found out that the intak is choking my motor out at around 4800 rpm! However that's what I would expect from a stock intake. I never have ran it on a 1/4 track and only 3 times at a 1/8 mile track but I was having traction problems 2 of the 3 runs. THe 1st run I missed 3rd gear twice! However the guy that beat me (who I was ahead of by 1.5-2 car lengths) ran it in a 9.333 so I know I would have been in the high 8's if I hadn't missed the gears! The only problem I have is my check engine light gives me the old 32 code but I've pretty much blamed the manifold and/or the cam on that. When I put the motor in new almost 4 years ago I put brand new computer, EGR valve , EGR solenoid, new MAP sensor, 350 knock sensor , heated O2 sensor, ect and the famous 32 code still comes on once I get into 5th gear after a few minutes. It will go off occasionaly. It doesn't seem to affect performance if the light is on so I pretty much ignore it now.

As far as top speed, don't know but I do know I've pegged the 140 speedo and it didn't come off for a little bit so I estimate around 155. If my tach had been working I could have figured it out. I rarely take it up past 120 now. My next plans are a 350-400 hp 350 and will probably go to a TPI also.

I like your setup also, hows the TBI doing on that ZZ4? I'm planning on buying the ZZ$ partial block and putting AFR heads and a crane or LPE's cam in it with the TPI on top. I love the looks of TPI but love the simple TBI also. Have you had yours timed yet?

------------------

285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff.
Old 09-18-2000, 12:40 PM

I haven't timeed it yet. Kind of hard when the engine is sitting in the crate next to the car!! DOH!! I have all of the parts listed in my sig, I just have not dropped the engine in the car yet. Hopefully next weekend it will be in the car. This past weekend I finished detailing the engine compartment (cleaning, polishing, painting, etc.), so now it's ready to go!
Old 09-18-2000, 02:28 PM

painting the engine compartment, that's what I stared to do the first time I had my engine out but man at all the crap that is left in there after you take it out! Needless to say I just touched up some places and that was it. How did you fair with your painting...remove all the brake lines, air conditioning, fuel lines, ect?

------------------

1993 S-10 w/ 4.3L V6 TBI, slightly bigger cam, Mild polish job and 3 angle valve job on heads, Edlebrock TES headers, Dynomax cat back, MSD 6A, ADS chip
(bought from my dad)

285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff. (sold to my dad..no!!)
Old 09-18-2000, 04:38 PM

Just about everything is out of my engine compartment. Even the ecm harness is draped back over the windshield. Not much in the way.

The factory blue paint is still in good shape, it just needed some cleaning. I did paint the entire crossmember and frame area. It was all rusted and crappy looking, now it's like new. Of course I removed the brake lines first.

Another trick I learned is to polish the silver AC cylinder thing on the passenger side and all of the AC lines. They are mirror shiney now!! After I painted the crossmember, I noticed that I will soon be replacing the entire front suspension (maybe over the winter). It looks like crap compared to the painted areas. Oh well.......I guess I'll never be happy. Looks like I'm starting a frame-on restoration!!!

------------------
'92 RS, ZZ4 10:1 350, Edelbrock 6085 heads, Crane 208/214 467/482 cam, GM 1.6 true roller rockers, Holley Projection TBI intake, Holley 670 TBI, SLP/Jet-Hot 1-5/8" headers, Catco 3" cat, Flowmaster 3" catback, Hughes 2500 stall converter, stock 700R4, Auburn Pro posi w/3.42, 17x9" SS rims w/BFG tires, Medium Quasar Blue w/white SS stripes, 48,000 miles....
Old 09-18-2000, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Scott C:
Oh well.......I guess I'll never be happy. Looks like I'm starting a frame-on restoration!!!

sounds like me...lol

Post how your car runs when you get the motor in!

------------------

1993 S-10 w/ 4.3L V6 TBI, slightly bigger cam, Mild polish job and 3 angle valve job on heads, Edlebrock TES headers, Dynomax cat back, MSD 6A, ADS chip
(bought from my dad)

285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff. (sold to my dad..no!!)