TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Got my ASCD Ram Air hood On!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 02:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 60
Got my ASCD Ram Air hood On!

Well guys, what do u think? I don't have any good pictures yet cause I just got it back and its kinda dark. I like it. I am getting the back cut out tommorow to give it a cowl induction effect. I will have to get a shot of the inside of the car too looking out the windsheild. What do u guys think?

------------------
Eric Natzke
91 Firebird 305 TBI (ZZ4 summer of "01")
ASCD Ram Air Hood-3" custom exaust-Flowmaster 80 Series-No Cat-Edelbrock TES Headers (coated)-March Pulleys-TBI Spacer-K&N Open ELement-TransGo Shift Kit-B&M Supercooler 28,000 GVW-Hypertech Thermomaster-160 Stat-3:42 GM Gears-Auburn Posi Unit-Edlebrock Strut Tower Brace-MSD Superconducters-Accel Cap & Rotor
-Rapidfire Plugs-265/50/R15 Tires-Emmison's all Gone

http://hometown.aol.com/J007Golden/index2.html

[This message has been edited by 91Bird305 (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old 10-20-2000, 02:52 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

no wonder you are so down on your car. You need some rims and all the suspension goodies. The hoods alright. not my style. I already told you how I wanted to make a 91 style bird. shaker hood. GS stripe and all. I have soem good drawings of it.

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS6

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
ICQ 82881207
Old 10-20-2000, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that should get you a few more races around town heh?
Old 10-20-2000, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Suspension goodies? Rims? Dude, whats wrong with my STB and my stock rims? Its dark out man and I used a digital camera. The rims aren't dark like that. There dark cause its dark out. Suspension goodies? How does that make my car look better? I have a STB from edelbrock. I guess that looks good on the engine bay and that is a good suspension mod. But I am ordering KYB GR-2 Struts and Gas-a-just shocks soon.

Yeah I think so Mike. If my exaust didn't wake up any night time racers this hood will catch there eye.

Here is another pic I just found my brother must have taken.

------------------
Eric Natzke
ASCD Ram Air Hood-3" custom exaust-Flowmaster 80 Series-No Cat-Edelbrock TES Headers (coated)-March Pulleys-TBI Spacer-K&N Open ELement-TransGo Shift Kit-B&M Supercooler 28,000 GVW-Hypertech Thermomaster-160 Stat-3:42 GM Gears-Auburn Posi Unit-Edlebrock Strut Tower Brace-MSD Superconducters-Accel Cap & Rotor

Old 10-20-2000, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Well.....I like your hood...nice.

------------------
88 IROC the best RS ever made!
well except for the B4C
Old 10-20-2000, 02:01 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
Very cute. Joke.
I like it. They designed the perfect hoods. They look so FACTORY. I personally like the GTA's nose instead of the eagle eyes, but if somebody gave an eagle eye, I would drive it.
Then again, that hood makes the eagle eyes look good, it all matches. That hood on a GTA might look funny, but I could be wrong.
Besides I drive a Camaro, what do I know about firebirds, sheesh.
Old 10-20-2000, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

Here is a better shot of my rims Tas. See? Not to bad I don't think, do u? For stock rims.

Old 10-20-2000, 07:46 PM

That hood looks awesome!!!
I have a red '91 Bird and am debating on selling it for a fourth gen. or keeping it andf doing **** to it, right now its completly stock.
But that pic of ur hood just might make me keep it and go buy that hood.
How much was it?
How much did it cost to get painted?
Was it easy to install?
I noticed a small "gap" at the front were it meets the nose and it also looks higher on the left side, can that be fixed and have u fixed it yet?
thanks
Old 10-20-2000, 08:30 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

maybe when you carve some turns in a WS6 you'll know what I'm talking about

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS6

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
ICQ 82881207
Old 10-21-2000, 12:52 AM
Supreme Member

No seriously, I don't know what u mean Tas. Are u cutting it down? Are u joking? Are u saying it looks good? OK? Stuipd? Sorry, I am not catching on.

91FastBird60kmiles, thanks man. Yeah, I would stick with your thirdgen man. Your engine in there now isn't very powerful but its fun to make it faster. Do mods that you can swap onto a 350 and stuff like headers exaust and such. You can do gears and transmission stuff too. A lot of the mods I have converts over to a 350. That way when u get board of runnin low 15's high 14's you can swap a 350 in there and be able to swap your old mods onto it too, not wasting any of your money. I would highly recommend my mods. My car feels WAY better than it did stock. I can't wait to get it timed to see how much time I shaved off. Fun engine to play with and when u want to step up to the big numbers you can swap a nice crate engine with your mods you did on your 305. (most of them)
The hood costed around 475.00+shipping (65.00?). Its a fiberglass hood (70 pounds). To get it painted I got a deal. 170.00. I knew this guy and he was real good. I am not sure about it slanting left. I looked at it outside to see what ur talking about and I can't tell. Maybe it is the digital camera. It doesn't take great pictures. But it does come up slightly in the front. The hood doesn't fit perfectly like the stock hood. It took the guy 45 minutes to get the hood on right. Everything else lines up on the hood. Its just the front rises very slightly, but its raised equally with the lines so it doesn't look bad at all. I am getting the back of the hood cut tommorow .5 inch from the top so I get a cowl induction type deal in the back of it. But the hardest part I guess was lining it up perfectly with the body of the car (lines and stuff) Other than that great hood.

See this Pablo? I saved a guy from buying a 4thgen with just a picture of my car. And he said I never contributed anything to this board. HA!

------------------
Eric Natzke

Old 10-21-2000, 03:52 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

hehe I'm just fukin with ya.

a <--- indicates a joke.

The hood looks good. Its just not my style.

And if I have to spell it out: the WS6 thing was a rib on your "go drive something faster than an LO3" statement
Old 10-21-2000, 04:03 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks I guess.

------------------
Eric Natzke

[This message has been edited by 91Bird305 (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 10-21-2000, 06:04 PM

Hey, thanks, ijust might get that hood now.
Ok, now about the mods, i'm planning on doing the following if i keep the car:
Holley Throttle body
Holley intake manifold
Open element K&N
Edelbrock headers(someone suggested using the TPI ones instead of the TBI ones because there bigger and can bolt right on, is this true?)
Chip(don't know wich one)
160 degree stat(maybe a 180?)
3.42's (maybe something else)
Posi
17" rims, maybe 16's
high flow cat
Flowmaster cat back
etc.

Now will all these mods bolt on to a 350 if i later decidde to drop one in?

And do u have any suggestions for better and more mods?
Thanks for any info!
Old 10-21-2000, 06:22 PM

the chip isnt really worth much unless u go for the TBI unit and i would go with SLP stainless headers. They are on sale for like 350$.
Old 10-21-2000, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I heard the SLP warehouse burned down and they have a lot of stuff on sale. Go check it out there. If u don't find what ur looking for and you want the Edelbrock TES headers, the part number for the TPI ones is #6872. And yes they fit. I have them on my car. They look awesome (u must get them coatd) and increased my performance greatly. As for the gears, 3:42's are usually the best all around gear. You have a little top end and your still very quick off the line. Yeah, the chip is nothing great. I got mine for 40 bucks though so I couldn't turn that down. But it does cool your engine better and bumps your timing, so in the long run it helps your other mods you do. 160 stat is fine, i run one in my car. Open element is another helper mod and looks a lot better than the stock cleaner. 5-7hp from the open element. 16" WS6 rims off a fbody would be a decent improvement. An exaust system is a must. Go with anything 3". And ditch the cat. Get better gas mileage without it and some more flow. Posi is a great mod after doing all these. A shift kit is another good mod. (TransGo Shift kit). If you want man, you can go to my mod evaluation site. Its just a thing I put together about all the good things and bad things about different mods I did in my sig. It would help you out greatly if your debating on what to do. check it out.
http://members.aol.com/j007golden/modeval.html

Hope this stuff helps. Don't expect anything CRAZY from the LO3. You will improve your time. But don't go try and racing a LT1 or a LS1. 305 TBI's are kinda in a class of there own. There is a lot of them out there.

------------------
Eric Natzke

Old 10-22-2000, 01:00 AM

gears are a great mod as 91bird said but the ratio depends on what u want fo the car. 3.42s are a very mild gear that is good for street use and gas mileage. I choose 3.73s, i have had several speed shops tell me this was the gear for my car, But thats only becouse i didnt care about gas mileage and i have a 5spd so i have like a .69:1 over drive ratio (5th gear). If u want a gear that will scream u to 0-60 i would go with 4.10 but with this gear ur top end will suffer a bit more and say goodbye to n e kind of gas mileage.

16" WS6 rims off a fbody would be a decent improvement

decent improvement? My car came stock with the ones 91bird shows in the pic and i switched to the formula style wheels. In addition to dramaticly improved handleing and traction it totally gave the car a better look. It was the best thing i ever did to my car.

Hope this stuff helps. Don't expect anything CRAZY from the LO3. You will improve your time. But don't go try and racing a LT1 or a LS1. 305 TBI's are kinda in a class of there own. There is a lot of them out there

lol where have i heard this b4. relax 91bird no flames intended. True LO3 stock VS LT1 and LS1 wasnt really a race but with the right mods LT1 will be in ur rear view and Ls1 wont be to far behind. Now to accomplish this u have to plan out how u do things but it is more than capable to have a LO3 305 be as fast or faster than the big boys but it will take a good amount of work.
Old 10-22-2000, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

3.42s are a very mild gear that is good for street use and gas mileage.
Isn't that what his car is? A street car? Hey man, I had 3:73's and 3:42's in my car and you can't tell a huge difference between the 2. I know, I had them both. I stuck with the 3:42's because I got more top end and its a street/strip car (soon to be).

In addition to dramaticly improved handleing and traction it totally gave the car a better look. It was the best thing i ever did to my car.

I thought your gears were the best thing? But I am going to do what you did ONEFINE8T9. The 16" rims are kick *** . I will be looking for some around the internet. Give me a yell if you find some.

but with the right mods LT1 will be in ur rear view and Ls1 wont be to far behind.
Yeah, you have to practically change the entire block, (like u will explain later). 91FastBird60kmiles, if you want to leave a STOCK LT1 in your rear view mirror better get out the check book and workin longer hours. You'll need to do the starter mods like we all talked about but after that, your going to have to get serious with the LO3. (boy does that sound funny). You will need to change your tb unit with a high cfm one. Then you will need some sort of aftermarket intake manifold. Then you will need a good set of flowing heads. Then you will need some sort of cam to get that "peanut" cam you have in there now. Then you will need to get a custom chiped burned (perferably one with a dyno at the shop) And after all that work of changing your entire block pracitcally, you will be ALL set. You won't have a single other mod to do after that except maybe for a blower, if you want to spend another 1500.00 + installtion if you don't know how to. Wow, NOW you can beat a STOCK LT1 and be right along side a STOCK LS1. Wow, does this seem worth it to u?

Ok, I hope you see the picture here. You have to modify your engine, not just slightly modify, you need to give that LO3 a make-over to run with the stock engines of today. Now doesn't that sound f'ed up? Thats why I am just going to save up and by a crate 350 engine. The mods I have done to my car now are GREAT! I haven't got the car timed in the 1/4 mile yet but there is such a BIG improvment from before. Now its fast for a 305TBI. (high 14's flat 15. i hope) But not for a V8. V8's (stock) should be running mid 14's and working your way from there. So like I said, 305 TBI's are in a class of there own. So anyways, I figured might as well start where they start if not more (ZZ4 is 355hp,405lbs of torque) and still be able to do mods to it in the near future like HOT cam or NOS or Blower, tranny mods, rear end stuff, instead of sitting there now with a tired ole' LO3 with a bunch of mods on it that you will have you running with STOCK LS1s and beating (not wasting) STOCK LT1's. Now people will try to tell you why I am an idiot and why you should do all these modifications to your car. There are a lot of people that have done this swap and are very happy with it. Then there are the people that belive in sticking with the LO3 the whole time. By the way LO3 stands for LOW OUTPUT. Gee, GM had gooood intentions when they named this engine, hahaha. Anyways, the LO3 is a great engine for starters. I have learned a lot from doing the stuff that I did with mine. But if you want it to be a street/drag machine then I would go ahead and do the starter mods like we talked about before, (exaust,WS6 rims,headers,etc...) and then leave it alone and start saving up for some sort of bigger SBC. Like a 350,383,400 etc... Now that is where u will start having fun my friend. Running mid to low 12's is really the goal for a ultimate street machine. To me atleast it is. And you will be able to swap almost all of your LO3 mods onto that bigger SBC so you don't waste any money on having fun with your LO3 or building an LS1 killer...no no, LS1 SERIAL KILLER. I like that better. Show them Cobra's up too. Remind them were they belong on the performance poll...UNDER CHEVY!

------------------
Eric Natzke

[This message has been edited by 91Bird305 (edited October 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 91Bird305 (edited October 22, 2000).]