TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

GM injector pod on Holley TBI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM injector pod on Holley TBI?

I have one of the holley TBI units with the older style holley injectors (with spherical caps). Those injectors are known for problems, and one of mine cuts out intermittently.

Those older style injectors don't seem to be available from Holley anymore. Holley does make a pod that adapts my tbi to take the delphi injectors they use now. But the pod is about $100, and so is each injector. So about $300 and they don't flow as much as the ones I have now.

I still have the GM TBI unit that I took off. My first question is can I take the GM injector pod and install it to the holley unit? Has anyone done this?

Secondly, does anybody repair or sell new injectors for the early style holley tbi units?

Finally, I saw a post here once talking about dodge dakota injectors fitting the early style holley tbi. Only one post. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Car: 87 Chevy Short Wide
Engine: 383 Vortec TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: GM injector pod on Holley TBI?

I run a Holley tb with a stock tb injector pod.I had to use it cause i run 454 injectors.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: 350 turbo
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 posi 9bolt

Don't know if you'd be interested in upgrading your TB, but if so, I have the newer style Holley TB for sale.

Holley TB f/s
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM

383TBI,

OK, I took off the holley injector pod and tried to fit-up the GM pod to the holley base. It looks like it will fit the base after I will use the die grinder to remove a couple locator pins on the GM injector pod.

The problem is that with this combination, I don't see how the stud for the air cleaner wing nut will attach to anything. GM intended it to go through a hole towards the front of the injector pod into threads tapped in the GM base. The holley base does not have this threaded hole, and the area between the two bores in the holley base is thin. I wouldn't want to drill and tap there if I can avoid it.

How did you deal with this, 383TBI? Did you just suck it up and drill / tap the holley base under the hole in the GM injector pod?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

No driling or tapping.All you need is an offset stud.They sell them I just dont know where.I bought mine second hand and it came with it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM

I have the straight stud that I used with the Holley and I have the bent stud that I used with the GM unit.

Considering the combination of the holley base, with the GM injector pod, I could try the straight or the bent stud.

Straight stud won't work cause it would like to screw right into the top of injector pod/regulator area.

Bent stud won't work - it will clear the injector pod and will go into the unthreaded hole in the injector pod stud hole, but there is no threaded hole in the holley base below the stud hole in the injector pod for the stud to thread into.

383TBI - Could you post a picture of your setup? You obviously have something that works, but I'm apparently not following you.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Car: 91 S10
Engine: 305 tbi lt1 cam EBL

here is a pic of mine. its a holley base with a 4.3 inj pod and stud.
Attached Thumbnails GM injector pod on Holley TBI?-tbistud.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Sorry for the late response.I will take a look this afternoon at my set up.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Well based on the photo from 91GMC, that's what I thought you were talking about. My holley base must be different, because there is no hole for the stud to thread into there in the base. (There is a through-hole in the pod there.)

What I have decided to do is order one of those 1/4" injector pod spacers. I will cut out the portion of the spacer that would be at this area. That will leave an empty space between the pod and the base for a nut. The stud will thread into the nut.

I will slip the stud through the hole in the injector pod, thread the nut onto the stud, then tack weld the nut to the stud before I install the combined assembly to the base.

Thanks for the help. Maybe you guys have a newer/older version of the holley base that has a threaded hole there.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM

What part# TB do you have.I think mine is a 502.Mine is the same as 91GMC.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Some more info in case someone else finds it useful. I did get the GM injector pod installed to the holley base, but it was a bigger task than I expected. I had to make the following modifications:

1. As mentioned above, slipped the offset air cleaner stud through the hole in the injector pod, started a nut & tack-welded the nut to the stud (not to the pod).

2. Bought a plastic 1/4" thick injector pod spacer on ebay, cut out a chunk to allow room for the nut mentioned in #1. The nut gets loosely sandwiched between the base and the pod.

3. The bolt pattern was really close but not quite perfect between the injector pod and the base. I had to enlarge the front injector pod thru hole. Just one drill size bigger did it. Used existing threaded hole in the base.

4. The return fuel fitting goes in ok. The supply fitting wouldn't go into the pod due to interference with the back of the holley base (underside of the back of the air cleaner gasket area). Eventually I filed enough material off the underside of the base in that area to make clearance. This issue was probably due to the 1/4" pod spacer in #2.

5. After it was all bolted up there were two air gaps where the pod met the base. Looking from the front of the car, the gaps were at the bottom of the pod where it mates to the base, nearest the 11:00 position on the driver side throttle bore and 1:00 position on the passenger bore. The gaps were not at the bores, just near them. I put some RTV on my finger and smudged it over the gaps. I do not recommend this as the tube said not for gasoline....I hope to come up with a better idea soon.

6. Of course, I had to reinstall my original GM wiring harness end in place of the holley harness end to fit the injectors.

7. This air cleaner stud is now too long for my 3" element flat base open element cleaner. I used a 3/8" long spacer and flat washer to take up the excess length. The wing nut is on top of the spacer. It looks dumb but works for now. I am trying to find a 3.5" x 14" filter - that would be a better solution.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

Search function works, and I'm living proof

If anyone is interested in the tbi that Jeff (327chevy) modified, I have it for sale!

When his car didn't want to start or run, he sold it to me along with a bunch of parts. I sold the car, https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sout...88-camaro.html and I put the parts in storage. Now I'm clearing out, and found this tbi unit and am trying to figure out what it is, since it looks nothing like the normal Holley ones. Finally found this thread, put 2 and 2 together and realized 327chevy is Jeff, and I have this tbi unit exactly as described.

I have no use for it. I have it and the intake listed for sale. Let me know if I'm off base on the pricing. Had it for $350, I think now I'll take $300 for it. Too high?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...h-springs.html