TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Weird fuel problem i cant figure out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: Automatic
Weird fuel problem i cant figure out!

I just bought my first camaro...a 92 RS automatic with a 305...

Sometimes when i go to start it it doesnt get any fuel at all but i can start it with starting fluid and it starts right up (sometimes)....sometimes it takes awhile for the fuel to come out of the injectors....i've watched the injectors when its turning over and nothing comes out but after a minute you can see it slowly start to shoot out sometimes then it cranks and runs fine. Sometimes it just starts right up. I've also had it just die on me at a light or whenever it's just idling...sometimes it starts back up sometimes it doesnt. I can hear the fuel pump running and it sounds fine...could it be leaking pressure somehow or could my injectors be bad? i'm lost! Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Derek
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Weird fuel problem i cant figure out!

You really need to check your fuel pressure, some come w/ a tbi adapter as the tbi dont have a test port. Pressure should be 9-13 psi, they have a bleed down port in the regulator so it won't hold pressre. But there is a valve in the fuel pump to keep a volume of fuel in the lines though.
Try priming the fuel pump a couple of times by cycling the key, then see if it starts easier.
Get a noid light too, this hooks to the injector connector & lets you know if the injector is gettng a signal (pulse).
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

What you hear can be deceiving.

Either it has a split delivery line within the tank, it's lost the ability to develop pressure, or your fuel pressure regulator has failed.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM

I took the pressure regualtor off today and tried to put the new one on but the stupid thing wouldnt seal right....my buddy moved some of the wires around and it started up....it real intermittent.....i think its electrical somewhere....where are the relays for the injectors?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Car: 91 T-Top RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: To be determined at the JY.

Originally Posted by Ddavis91
I took the pressure regualtor off today and tried to put the new one on but the stupid thing wouldnt seal right....my buddy moved some of the wires around and it started up....it real intermittent.....i think its electrical somewhere....where are the relays for the injectors?
There aren't any injector relays, it's in the ECM, I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain the wiring is the same for my 91 as it is for your 92. One wire on each injector is always hot, it should either come from the junction next to the battery or the starter solenoid. Each of the hot wires should read 12 volts or higher on your voltmeter if the battery is charged. If that is true, and the wires are good, look for a bad injector to ECM wire, a faulty ground from the ECM, or a bad ECM. Hope for the first two, but the last one isn't terrible, as ECMs for these are under $100 if it is at fault. Keep us updated, it helps people who remember to use in the future.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Sounds to me like a fuel pump relay - have you tried replacing it?

When you turn on the key, the ECM sends a signal to energize the fuel pump relay, which runs the fuel pump for a second or two to "prime" it (ie send gas to the injectors). If you can't hear this priming, then your relay is bad most likely.

The fuel pump will however still run with a bad relay - it is also operated by the OIl Pressure Sending Unit located above the oil filter. If/when oil pressure rises, and the fuel pump is not already running (from the ECM/relay), then the OPSU will run the pump. It has a constant 12v+ supply directly off the battery, and doesn't matter if the car is on, if the ECM works, or anything else - if that OPSU gets oil pressure, it will run the pump.

But this process takes a few extra seconds or so, to sense the oil pressure and start the pump - meantime you've tried starting the car 2-3 times with no luck, then it starts and runs.

If there's a 'hit or miss' issue with the fuel pump relay, or the wiring to it, or the connector (I had a connector short out once), it could easily produce these symptoms.

Let me also ask - when the car is running fine, do you get a nice clean cone-shaped spray out of the injectors? Have you checked to make sure the injector wires are still in tact, connected well, etc.? They often become brittle from the heat, gas and oil soaked, etc. - as well as their cheap plastic connectors - and that could cause issues as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Car: 91 T-Top RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: To be determined at the JY.

totally forgot about that. Do his thing first.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I discovered im not getting any spark at all when i'm not getting fuel....i replaced the pick-up coil in the distributor but it's still doing the same thing...i got a control module to try next...my oil pressure gauge always reads maxed out for awhile until its warmed up....dont know if that means anything or not.....i figure its the control module....im thinkin its just heatin up and shorting out or something
Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 AM

Finally fixed it! It ended up being the control module.....42 dollars at Autozone!