Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HIGH SCHOOLER LOOKING FOR 1ST CAR. ANY ADVICE.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIGH SCHOOLER LOOKING FOR 1ST CAR. ANY ADVICE.

MY NAME IS JAY. I LIVE IN MICHIGAN. YES THE INFAMOUS HOME OF THE MOTOR CITY. BUT I DON'T LIVE IN DETROIT. I LIVE IN A SUBURB 5 MIN OUTSIDE OF DETROIT. I AM 16YRS OLD AND IN THE 12TH GRADE. I SKIPPED A GRADE SO MOST SENIORS ARE 17 AND 18. SO I WENT MY WHOLE JUNIOR YR. WITHOUT DRIVING. I JUST GOT MY LICENSE IN DEC. 2000 AND I BEEN LOOKING FOR A CAR EVER SINCE. MAINLY I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 3 MUSCLE CARS. YOU KNOW, CAMAROS, TRAN AMS, AND MUSTANGS. BUT I REALLY HAVE MY EYE ON THE CAMARO IROC-Z. I LOVE THIS CAR. THEY LOOK SO SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN'T FIND ONE IN MY PRICE RANGE OF 2000$. I HAVE BEEN SAVING SINCE THE SUMMER. I WANT ONE OF THE 3 CARS (mainly iroc) AND QUICK BECAUSE THE SCHOOL YEAR IS RUNNING OUT. I WANT TO GO TO THE SCHOOL FOR NOW ON LOOKING SWEET. MOST OF THE KIDS AT MY SCHOOL DRIVE NEW CARS. ONE KID HAS A 2001 MONTE CARLO SS WITH A TV(spoiled).BUT SINCE MY MOM AND DAD WON'T HELP ME FINANCIALLY, I STUCK WITH THE OLD WARRIORS. I HAVE TO WORK WITH WHAT I GOT.BUT I DON'T MIND TO MUCH BECAUSE THE BIG 3 LOOK GOOD TO ME. THE BODY WORK ISN'T A PROBLEM BECAUSE I CAN HANDLE IT FROM EXPERIENCE FROM MY SUMMER JOB AT A BUMP SHOP. I AM BEGINNING TO GROW FRUSTRATED BECAUSE I CAN FIND NTHER OF THE BIG 3. I DID GO LOOK AT A 87 IROC FOR 1000 DOLLAR WITH A NEW MOTOR. BUT THE WAY IT LOOKED OUTSIDE AND INSIDE, I CAN TELL THE CAR WAS DOGGED. PLEASEEEEEEEEEE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHERE TO FIND CARS AND HOW TO PURSUE THEM. WHAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR IN THIRD GEN'S AND WHEN THE MONEY IS WORTH IT OR NOT. i REALLY WANT AT LEAST ONE OF THE BIG THREE (MAINLY IROC). I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BUY A FAMILY CAR WHICH MY MOM AND DAD WANTS AS MY FIRST CAR. MY MOM DOESN'T WANT ME IN A FAST CAR. AND MY DAD KNOWS HOW THE SPORTS CARS GET TREATED. HE ONCE HAD A 70 SOMETHING Z-28. HE BROUGHT IT USED AND THE ENGINE WHEN OUT. HE SAID THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER USED SOME HEAVY RACING OIL THAT MAKE THE CAMS GO BAD OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. LUCKILY HE BROUGHT IT FROM A DEALER AND THEY REPLACED THE WHOLE ENGINE BECAUSE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY. pLEASE GIVE ADVICE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO END UP IN SOMETHING LIKE A CORSICA OR TAURUS THAT ONLY PUTS OUT 150HP.(how slow) HELP!! DON'T LET ME END UP IN A TAURUS ALL ADVICE WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:28 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Jay,

O.K. - We can HEAR you! (all Caps indicates yelling, and is a little harder to read for us "old farts". Unless you REALLY want emphasis, hit the caps lock before posting.)

Oh, and Welcome aboard!

Keep shopping. If you don't mind doing a little work, you can find some reasonable cars for a couple grand.

Whatever you get, inspect the car thoroughly before committing to a purchase or making a deposit. You're not going to get a new car for that much cash, but you can get the most from your money with a little homework.

The archives on this board are an excellent resource, and here's a good place to start:

https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/...ML/007557.html

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"I'm'a do Things My Way - It's My way or the Highway."
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 04-07-2001, 11:21 PM
82z

Look in the auto trader magazine and autotrader.com or go to Bob Pecks Show and Go in Livonia. Their stuff is probably a little out of your range but the cars they have there are sweet. Check it out.

------------------
82 z28 350cid, vortec heads, comp 262h cam, Holley 600cfm carb, 2in twice pipes, MSD ignition, turbo 350 trans, 3.73 posi, manly b&m megashifter
Old 04-08-2001, 12:35 AM

First off... turn CAPS LOCK off. Second, thirdgens are just about everywhere these days... they are literally a dime a dozen. Every where I look there is a thirdgen for sale. We already have three of them in my family, but I consider buying more every day. I bought my first thirdgen for $600 Canadian ($375 USD). It's a 1983, and I had to do some work to it..... It was a big piece of rust, and it was metalic brown. You can't expect to get a car that is mint for a grand....

My first car

Now that I am done my rant, I wish you the best of luck with your first car... you will never forget it. Most of your best memories will in one way or another be linked to your first car. I had so many adventures in my first car I can't remember them all... AND FOR GODS SAKE DON'T BUY A STANG!
Old 04-08-2001, 01:31 AM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
hey,

first off...the caps issue, man that's annoying!

second... DO NOT, repeat DO NOT buy from a DEALER! you'll never get as good a deal as dealing with an individual.

Don't listen to your father either, sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about (or maybe it's you ) just kidding!

Insurance isn't going to be pretty for you in an IROC. you'll end up spending about as much per year in insurance as you want to spend on your car. (depending on your area)

don't expect something with too much more HP than 150 for that much either. camaro's are kinda wimpy (yet fun) in stock trim

DON'T buy something if someone's advertising about all the modifications that have been done to it. get something as close to stock as you can find. high performance and reliability have an inversely proportional relationship . If you get something that's stock, when things break, someone will know why. I'm assuming that you don't do much mechanical work yourself. (oops, looks like I'm saying modifications are bad. that's not what I'm trying to say. I like performance mods...when I do them!)

I could go on and on...looks like I've written enough for tonight

later

------------------

Clem

-------------
1983 Z28 with LG4, 5 speed, and (unfortunately) T-tops
1983 Z28, NO T-tops, (unfortunately) Auto Transmission---FOR SALE---
Looking for a V8, preferably 4 or 5 speed Camaro with NO T-tops (wanna trade?)

[This message has been edited by clemsparks (edited April 07, 2001).]
Old 04-08-2001, 08:38 AM

Hey i know where you are coming from witht he high school situation...In my school there is an epidemic of hondas and it makes me sick....I bought my firebird for 600 bucks from my brothers friend and i would never reconsider.....I personally think it is a great looking car(if you keep ot clean) and is something that will get you attention...Dont worry about speed when you first get it because you got the rest of your life to beat ricers....Wait till you get some experience driving it because man these are different than those little cars...My car has 170 hp stock and even thought its not alot i bought the car for the design and later on i will drop mad money into the engine....well good luck on your search and read every post you can in this site because it has taught me sssoooooo much

------------------
1988 Firebird trans am 305 tbi LO3......Hey for 600 bucks i cant ask for more but i am going to swap the engine and spank some rice
Old 04-08-2001, 08:44 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like it's not been said before, turn off he cap lock. as vader pointed out us old guys can't read it, neither can the younger guys.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond Lodge 538 F&AM
Old 04-08-2001, 09:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86' Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Im sure this probably isn't going to help you at all, but if you wanted to make a road trip to DE, theres a guy here selling an 87 IROC w/ a 350 TPI freshly rebuilt for $2500. the Interior is perfect, and the exterior looks pretty good too. The paint isn't faded or anything. Granted, it's not perfect, but for a 14 year old car, it's in damn good shape. Shop around, im sure you'll be able to find something.

------------------
My 1986 Z28 and more!!
85 IROC w/ 1364 miles!

R.I.P Dale Earnhardt
Old 04-08-2001, 03:05 PM

A good place around here are the police inpound auctions- Ive seen IROCS that drug dealers had( were really nice ) go for 1 or 2 g's. Well thats my area- check your area

------------------
1992 Z28 W/5.7L. Teal with unpainted cowl hood,18" Billet Specialities Rims,Eibach Sportline Springs, Leather int., B&M Mega Shifter, Headman Headers, Flows,No Cats,K&N,HyperTech air foil,Custome Burned Chip,MSD Ignition,Shift Kit, Billet Corvett Servo my Back License plate reads "ALL UL C"

Here's a pic of my car
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyarson/maro.jpg

" WHAT DOES THE BACK OF A MUSTANG LOOK LIKE "

[This message has been edited by BigMike 92 Z28 (edited April 08, 2001).]
Old 04-08-2001, 03:05 PM

thanx to everyone that gave input on my problem. i really appreciate it. and now i know not to use caps any more.

THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
(just kidding)
thanx alot
Old 04-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
No one mentioned lookin' on the classifieds here on thirdgen.org!! That would be a good place to look!!
Old 04-09-2001, 01:51 AM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
www.cars.com

Robert

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey interior with the stance of a streetfighter
I like to think of her as Arnold Schwartzeneger in a dinner suit

Mods
Custom exhaust. 4 Inch pipe from the headders all the way back to a single muffler at the rear. No Cat. K&Ns, AFPR and Air foil.

Future mods:
Cam change
New torque converter
New heads (maybe corvette L98)
Strut brace
Sub frame connectors
Ram Air

Current G-Tech times
0-60mph 6.26 seconds
1/4 14.74@100.2mph
Old 04-09-2001, 11:50 AM

Avoid carbureated cars, especially if you dont know someone who is good with carbs. After messing with a couple carbs on my car, I'm converting it to TPI. TPI is more powerful the TBI injection in stock form, but both are much more reliable than a 14-18 year old carburetor. You'll get better mileage with the FI also.
Old 04-09-2001, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Im 19, Have been driving a Ton for 3 years, The Two cars that I have owned have Both been "sports" cars And I pride myself On Driving ability.

I Drive a supposedly "Slow" Camaro ( Lg4 ) Without alot of Power.

The other night I spun it out In an intersection (on purpose) And Hit a Curb (not on purpose).

Wich Just goes to Show that Any of these Cars has enough power To get you Into trouble. I obviously lacked the skill to Handle 360's, And Wont Do it again ( on purpose anyway ) Untill I get some practice in.

So I wouldnt be Too Concernd with getting a Speed Demon Camaro As your First car, Get a nice looking Lo-Po ( Lg4 ) Car, and as you get more comfetable with it, Make it faster

I say Lg4 and now Lo3 cause The Lg4, IMO, has alot more power potential than the LO3

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 04-09-2001, 03:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
There are two approaches to a first car:
1) Something that makes sense.
2) Something that you will keep forever.

For the first option, Corsicas and Taurus's make sense because they are plentiful, reasonably safe and reliable, and are less likely to get a 16-year-old in trouble. Insurance is less expensive.

For the second option, notice my sig. Okay, my Bel Air is a 4-door sedan, in most circles would be considered a parts car. But, you only get one 1st car. It came with a pretty weak 283 & Powerglide, so I mostly stayed out of trouble until I knew what I was doing. It, like 3rd gens, is very easily modifiable, which is nice. As long as you aren't trying to maintain an original show car, that is.

Insurance companies are "on" to young drivers. Sorry for the guilt by association, but it's all too true. "V8" vs "V6" = big difference in rates. That's the case even if the V8 is a 145 HP LG4 and the V6 is a 200 HP 3.4. Bort's is one example why.

So, you've got a lot to consider. Like said above, insurance is likely to cost you a lot more per year than the car initially does.

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car, now w/86 LG4/TH700R. 2.93 limited slip. Cat-back from '91 GTA, Accel HEI SuperCoil. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily driver, work-in-progress (LG4 w/'87 LB9 block, ZZ3 cam and intake, World 305 heads, Hooker headers & y-pipe, 3" Catco cat).
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. 0.030 over 396, Weiand Action+, Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" Hedders, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & Trans-Scat shift kit, 3.08 8.2" 10-bolt w/Powertrax, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Best 15.1 @ 5800' Bandimere w/open diff & slipping tranny. Daily driver while Camaro was being put together.