Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I ****ING HATE CAMAROS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ****ING HATE CAMAROS

my ****ing camaro has a brand new 305 (8 miles) and it has a oil leak somewhere, i checked the oil pressure sended unit for the computer/fuel pump thing and i felt around teh gauge one b/ci can't see it and it felt a little wet but not soaked. if i hold my engine around 2000 rpm for 15 sec or so i get a stream of oil coming around the bell housing(or so it seems, maybe from in side??) and one to the ground. THE CAR NEEDS TO BE IN WORKING ORDER BY FRIDAY. If I can't find it soon, good-bye camaro and i will get get a regular car b/c of all the one we have had over the years non have had problems like this, ALSO the ****ing thing is giving me a code 36 and i tryed replacing the burn-off but it did not help there is a dual connection that is still ot connected but no one will tell me what it is even tho i know ppl have put new motors in TPI sticks before. Also the thng rattles like hell and has a exhaust leak the power mirror switch don't work(the mirrons do i just tested them) and **** it, this is a big POS.

------------------
1987 Black 305 TPI 5spd IROC, seems to be fully loaded, but can't find RPO codes.

AIM: IROC 5spd
http://www.geocities.com/chevy5spdiroc/87Roc.htm
Old 10-14-2001, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
So what is the history? What just happened to this engine? Is this a brand-new build of the short block (crank, pistons etc.)? Who built it?

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 10-14-2001, 12:20 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
I'll give you fifty bucks for it right now...

Don't do anything rash. It is obvious that you've hit a frustration level with the car. With a new engine and even a marginal body and interior the car is worth at least $3500, and the nuisance problems you are experiencing may not be a major problem.

The oil leak could be from the rear of the intake manifold, the distributor base gasket, the oil pressure sensor, an oil gallery plug on the rear cam oiling galleries, the rear cam bore plug, or the rear main seal. The rear gasket of the intake is possible due to oil splash at higher RPMs hitting the underside of the intake and leaking out the rear seal/gasket.

The pressure sensor would leak more at higher RPMs due to the higher oil pressure. Unfortunately, so would the gallery or cam bore plugs on the rear of the block, or the rear main seal.

Do the easiset things first. Get a good light and a mirror and observe the rear of the intake, distributor gasket, and oil pressure sensors while the engine is running.

You may get a good look at the rear seal by removing the transmission inspection cover and using a mirror, but the clutch and flywheel may make this more difficult than on an automatic.

Cross your fingers and hope it is on the top of the engine.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
If you want to beat the World, it might reach up and pull you down...
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 10-14-2001, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
It sounds like its the oil pressure sensor. They do leak often. The diaphram inside ruptures, and it spews out through the electrical connection.

You want to get rid of your car for a "normal one"? My T/A is normal to me. So what if it has a few flaws, don't think its limited just to F-bodies. I work at a dealership, and I see cars that shouldn't even be on the road (no inpsections), so it could be much worse.

Dig deep. If you really like your car, there isn't much you shouldn't be willing to do to it. ALL CARS have the potential to be a big POS.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey,
22# injectors,
Whatever chip I feel like burning,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes
Summit 1-5/8" headers, 2.5" Dynomax catback.

Best 1/8: 9.519@72.74

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 10-14-2001, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86' Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll give you fifty bucks for it right now...</font>

ill give ya $150, and i'll even come pick it up....

Eric

------------------
My 1986 Z2814.59@95.6

GM350, T-5, 3.23's, lots of go fast goodies, 4th gen Firebird interior etc...
85 IROC w/ 1364 miles! no times yet, just got it to start.

You'll always find what you've lost in the last place you look

R.I.P Dale Earnhardt

Moderator at: www.generation-3.com
Old 10-14-2001, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
i will tell u right now, check the oil filter. the same thing happened to me with my 350 and the sob had a pin hole in the oil filter and everytime i reved it the bellhousing got a shower. check that before u go rippin it to pieces.

------------------
86 berlinetta
350cui w/.30 over
.526 hilift cam
hooker supercomps
3" duals
edelbrock streetmaster
holley 750 dp
bad asshauler
Old 10-14-2001, 07:16 PM

Id say your oil leak is your rear intake manifold. I put new lifters in my car the other day, and didnt pay close enough attention when I put the manifold back on. I knocked it out of whack, didnt notice. Driving to town and I looked down at my oil pressure gauge, I seen it fall, so I shut off me engine immediatly. I was lucky. no damage occured.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:35 PM
Banned

why would you get a brand new 305?? eek, how stupid
Old 10-14-2001, 07:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by un4givin89:
why would you get a brand new 305?? eek, how stupid</font>
i like 305's more than any other sbc, but even i think that was stupid to purchase a new one.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
Sell it to me for $100. Then you can buy that "regular" Gremlin, Grenada or Chevette and I can fix the leak around the oil sending unit, back of the intake or the rear main seal and have a great car. Hate your car after a "difficult" problem.
Oh, you can find sympathy between **** and syphillas in the dictionary.
Sorry so harsh, just I've been experience some intermittent problems that will make an ASE mechanic cringe.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI Edelbrock Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake 1 5/8" Headers Semi-Siamesed Runners, IROC
suspension, alum shaft. Numerous mods.
92Z28convt5spd (stock)
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 10-14-2001, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

one, i got the 305 new b/c it had 8 miles on it and it cost me 900, I didn't have to deal with all the machine work in rebuilding a 350, it would have cost just as much or more and more frustration, something i don't need right now, and two i don't plan on making this a race car, that is what the other car is for, then i get to go all out and forget legality. It is not the oil filter or fuel pump oil pressuure sensor, the gauge sensor could be near the base but it is not at the top b/c it is dry(by the electrical connection), The only two things ruleing out the rear main seal are, 1) the clutch works perfectly, two it kind of seems to becoming from above the bellhousing. maybe i should pop off the distrubutor.

------------------
1987 Black 305 TPI 5spd IROC, seems to be fully loaded, but can't find RPO codes.

Old 10-14-2001, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Silverado 1500
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60E
just sell it, if you hate these cars you shouldn't own one.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:02 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
Heh, i had a 2000 Z28 and it was a POS. Sure for the first couple months it was fine. Then after a while it developed a ticking sound after comeing back from the dealer. They tried everything includeing replaceing the valve train. Still ticked.

------------------
89 IROC-Z 350 TPI

-Flowmaster Catback
-Performance Resource Chip
-700R4 (Rebuilt) Too much done to actually list
-K&N Airfilters
-Ported Plenum
-2.77 Gears (not much to brag about but eh, its there)
-MSD 8.5 mm plug wires
-Gutted cat
-!AIR
-Gutted Air Boxes
Old 10-14-2001, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
This may sound crazy but I bought a goodwrench 350 once and put it in the car. Drove the car a few times but every time there was oil all over the place. Come to find out it had provisions for oil dipsticks on both sides. I had to plug the passenger side. It got oil all over the headers and everything. It took a while to figure out where it was coming from. Have you ruled out the oil pan? Someone could have tightened the gasket too tight and pushed it out. I've seen it happen.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:42 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by camaro6spd:
one, i got the 305 new b/c it had 8 miles on it and it cost me 900, I didn't have to deal with all the machine work in rebuilding a 350 </font>
Hey! No heat from me. The 305 is probably just as reliable as the good ol' 350, possibly more so because of the lower stress on the same size bearings, rods, crank, etc. Many people don't remember that the SBC was originally designed as a 265 inch engine. The larger displacements from later revisions had larger main bearings and lots of improvements, but the 305 has all of those refinements. 305 inches seems like a very conservative displacement for the base design that should run 300,000 miles with proper care.

As for your pesky leak, it's good that the clutch is operating without slippage. That almost rules out the rear main seal, cam gallery plugs, and cam bore plug. That means you won't have to pull the engine to find the problem. I'd take a good look at the rear intake seal (China Wall gasket) and distributor gasket.

I realize you're frustrated, but you'll get it. After the nuisance problems are solved, you should have a lot of reliable miles ahead on your new combo.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
If you want to beat the World, it might reach up and pull you down...
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 10-15-2001, 01:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Sport Coupé
Engine: 305-4v
Transmission: 700R4 and TransGo2
Hang in there, buddy! These things have happened to all of us, really!

I had the same problem with my old 350. Put in a rebuilt, 0 miles on it, and it leaked like a sieve because I mispositioned the rear china wall gasket

I was mad as a hatter, and totally discouraged--just like you. But that 350 ran almost perfectly for around 400,000 kms before I sold it
Old 10-15-2001, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, i took a long while and looked around the rear of the engine, The wiring harness is blockinga good view and i can't find a mirror small enough to fit back there. Any way this is what i have observed.

1) it is not the distributor
2) The oil is above the bell housing b/c lots of it are sitting on top of the bellhousing.
3) it does not seem to be the gauge sensor.
4) I can't really tell if it coming from teh intake manifold but if it was wouldn't it spray all over, if so i don't think that it is it.

Man I need a good look at the rear, is it at all possable the cyl head to block joint? Oh yeah and the 305 is a factory GM one, it belongs to a full size truck with TBI.

------------------

Old 10-15-2001, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Intake manifold wouldn't spray all over, it would drip down. Run your finger on the back of it where it meets the block to see if there is oil dripping out.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

ok, I will go out and check that now.....brb
Old 10-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

from what i can tell is is dry, it is not soaked like the rest of the area around it....I remove the whole distributor and have abetter view and it kind of seems dry around there. But somehowit is getting wet on top of the bellhousings, maybe it is the F/P oil pressure sensor, maybe it is craked and it is spraying up but it seems kind of not likly b/c it is not a total mess under there, just like somthing is dripping out and running along down.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

If I were you, I would take some castrol superclean and clean the entire thing off and run the engine, then look and see where the oil is.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

it is hard to see unless the distributor is off, I think i can get a good look at it tho if i took out the windshield wiper motor.....are they any tricks to taking it out any springs or special things to consider?
Old 10-15-2001, 03:31 PM

Car: Z06, WS6
Engine: LS6, LT1
Transmission: M6
million bucks says oil pressure sending unit has a hairline crack. is it new or old?
Old 10-15-2001, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

F U !!!! that was it, the sending unit for the gauge, I just could not see it, I tore off the WW motor and instered a lot of lights and one really large halogen! then i saw it drip followed the drip and bingo.....it was an older one, looks stock. also I put the coil on my car from teh K blazer(where i got the new 305 engine from) and it clicks were raipidly, almost like sticking a base ball card in the spokes of a bike but a deeper tone and it gets faster and slower depened on the RPMS, also i have the coild mounted to the body not the engine so it is really load on the inside. Can i mount this thing on rubber or what?
Old 05-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

ahh the good old non-knowing days(see days on last post)....lol.....i wish i still had that black camaro...LOL....it got into an accident and well was replaced by my convertible IROC.....I am sure glad i calmed down, i would regret sending that camaro off b/c i problabbly would not have one to this day....lol.....thanks guys...a little late but thanks.:hail:

Damn, i have learned soooo much from this site in such a small arount of time, just from reading other people posts, asking questions and then putting it to good use on my own car..:lala:
Old 05-12-2003, 03:25 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: built 305
Transmission: 700r-4 shift kit
im glad you figured it out. my car has a small oil leak some where but nothing serious i'll probably figure it out when i rebuild my 305. and im glad you kept a 305 in it there more original than the 350 no offense to those of you with 350s.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Mine went out a few months ago and leaked about half a quart of oil all over the place. It was less than a year old. Then, after installing the new one.. the electrical connector broke off I don't have time to replace it now, but it works with the connector still making contact
Old 05-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 5-Speed
hahaha i think i know what the problem may have been

on the back of the intake manifold there is a little bolt that alot of people forget to screw in. if you're missing it oil will just come right out!

bet you that was it.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by easySPEEDcamaro
hahaha i think i know what the problem may have been

on the back of the intake manifold there is a little bolt that alot of people forget to screw in. if you're missing it oil will just come right out!

bet you that was it.

If you actually READ the thread he says it was the oil pressure sending unit.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TeamTripp Performance
Well I have replaced an engine, transmission. and had major body work done in the last three years, and I ****ing love Camaros. My wife drives a Camry.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Originally posted by black84ta
i like 305's more than any other sbc
Me too...when I'm racing against one for money.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen
you could race me but i'd have to raid my lil bro's piggy bank after i got wasted....

Brandon

someday i wanna 350...