Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

where to jack up front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to jack up front end

I will be jecking up my front end to pull my exhaust manifolds and change the gaskets. Where do i put the jack and stands to support it best. And also has anyone ever had a dip stick break off inside the tube. My car came with the dipstick tube covered and i pulled it off to put a new one in and it goes halfway down and is hitting something im guessing the previous owner broke it off inside. How the hell do i get it out?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Car: 89 FORMULA FIREBIRD, 86 CHEVY CAMARO
Engine: L98, LB9 RESPECTIVLY
Transmission: 700 R4 (BOTH)
Re: where to jack up front end

I used to put the jackstands under the lower control arm where the spring pocket is, or if you need the wheels to hang free you can put them under the jacking pads where the hinge piller is.
The tube for the dipstick is only pressed into the block, you can tap it out with a hammer and screwdriver and then, provided the stick didn't break below the level of the block, that should expose the stick and you should be able to pull it out. Otherwise you would have to drop the pan and pull it out from the bottom.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Car: 1989 Trans am

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ng-points.html
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM

i cannot get the jack under any of the jacking points. My car is to low for it to fit i have a hydraulic jack and 2 jackstands is there any other spot strong enough that i can jack the car high enough from to fit a jack stand and then get the jack into a good spot to jack the rest of the way?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans am, 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Sbc, nothin yet
Transmission: 700r4- both

Drive your car onto a couple of wood blocks to raise it up. Get ur jack underneath and either lift it from the K member or the A-Arms. for jack stands, I normally mount mine on the bushings for the front sway bar. Out of the way and exhaust is easily accessible.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM

well ive already got most of the bolts off that i could get to from the top dont realy want to try driving it onto anything where would i jack it to change the tires if i cant even get a jack to fit under it? say if i got a flat somewhere. I just baught a second jack so i have on i can use to get the car hig enough to get the second jack into a good spot
Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I usually jack my car up under the frame rail at the front hinge line for the door. I have a 2 ton jack and it slides up under there pretty easy. My jack is too small to get the car high enough to slide any jack stands under the A-arm spring pockets or the K-member so this is what I do....

Take a look at your front A-arm at the point where it mounts the chassis, There are 2 bushinged mounting points. one towards the front and one towards the back of the car. The one towards the rear of the car has a ledge on it that is perfect for resting on top of a jack stand, although you kinda have to have the ledge perfectly centered on top of the jack stand. Slide a jack stand under there, pull your jack out, raise the other side and jack up the same way, use a second jack stand on the other side.

Jack your car up under the frame rails at the door hinge line, stick your head under there, take a look at the front control arm's rear mount point and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I don't like using the front sway bar bushings as a jack stand point because my car makes crazy rusty creaking sounds when i support it over there and I feel like somethings gonna bust out.

Once I have the front of the car up on jack stands at the front A-arm rear mount points, the K member is high enough that i can slide my jack under there right in the middle of the 2 wheels as a 3rd lift point for added security. Then I feel safe crawling under the front of the car. Don't lift too much weight off the jacks stands under the K member using a jack though, remember your jack stands are way safer for supporting weight than the jack.

Last edited by oamhmad; 11-27-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans am, 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Sbc, nothin yet
Transmission: 700r4- both

my car sits on 2 inch intrax springs, 16 inch wheels for now and I can slide a Napa (riebes) low profile jack under the A-Arms or lower control arms with no problem. I dont know how low yours may be, but Im not imagining it being that much lower than mine