Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 Firebird won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Firebird won't start.

Hey all. I'm kind of new here but I'm no stranger to the automotive hobby.

I thought I was getting good at setting timing, until tonight...

I have a 91 Firebird. It WAS a 305 TBI. Bought it with a blown engine and swapped in a 92 Camaro 305 that was a TPI, but I changed it to TBI.

Now, everything is all together, cranked it and got nothing. Starter engages, engine turns, it's getting fuel, it just not firing.

So, my biggest question is, since there is now a Camaro engine in there, should I be setting the timing for a CLOCKWISE distributor rotation as opposed to Counter Clockwise?

I already know, w/out a doubt, that #1 is TDC on the compression stroke. the rotor is lined up perfectly with the #1 spark tower, timing mark is set at 0*.

So I played with the distributor a bit, turning it slightly CW and CCW. All that did was send flames out the throttle body.

Am I 180* off here or am I simply not doing something right?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

EDIT: I keep reading something about an EST wire/connector. Is this on a Firebird and if so where is it?

Last edited by DeCaff2007; 11-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: 91 Firebird won't start.

all the motors are the same. there is no different procedure for a camaro than there is for a firebird when it comes to the motor, GM is GM. The EST wire is located on the passenger side by the AC stuff, normally sitting around the strut tower, you need to disconnect that before adjusting your timing or the computer will just re adjust itself no matter how many times you turn your dizzy
Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi

Sounds like you're 180* off, it's very easy to make that mistake. Check that out with the spark plug #1 off and rotate the engine until it shoots the compression out of it to make sure you're on TDC (double checking never hurts).
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by BluFBdy
The EST wire is located on the passenger side by the AC stuff, normally sitting around the strut tower, you need to disconnect that before adjusting your timing or the computer will just re adjust itself no matter how many times you turn your dizzy
Thanks for confirming that. Got a pic of it or maybe even how many/what color wires I should be looking for?

Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Any time you have "flames out the throttle body" like you said, there is a timing problem. Check your timing as I said before.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Davidgou
Any time you have "flames out the throttle body" like you said, there is a timing problem. Check your timing as I said before.
Yeah.

Ok here's what I've done:

Before I dropped the engine in the engine bay, I cleaned off the piece of metal with the timing marks so I could clearly see the markings. Then, while I had my thumb over the #1 spark plug hole, my dad turned the engine by hand until I felt compression. Then we checked the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and it was really close to 0*. So, I moved it to 0* by hand and left it there.

Then, we dropped the engine in, and connected the tranny (5-speed). After everything was all said and done and it was time to set the timing, I checked the timing mark again. Well, the mark was just 1/16th of an inch to the left of the farthest timing mark on the scale. I chalked it up to the fact that the flywheel rotated a little bit while installing the clutch and while lining the tranny up.

So, I cranked the timing mark by hand back to 0*. Then, I lined up the rotor on the distributor so that the notch was even with the fork on the oil pump shaft and dropped it in (I've done this hundreds of times on my 76 Trans Am and it worked every time). In theory, this means that the rotor is at the #1 spark tower position (or DAMN close). So, then my dad held a screwdriver right where the rotor was pointing and I installed the dizzy cap, adjusted the nearest spark tower to meet the screwdriver, then tightened the hold down clamp.

Then, I installed the wires on the distributor, following the 18436572 firing order, going counter clockwise on the dizzy. LOL so I cranked it and the engine turned over no problem and gets fuel but won't even attempt to fire.

LMAO... after I wrote all this, I did a quick Google search for a 91 Firebird firing order and I found this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...er-needed.html

I think I've just found my problem. The rotor turns CW, not CCW. That would explain the no fire condition.

Ok wow I just realized how long this post is.......
Old 11-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeCaff2007
Yeah.

Ok here's what I've done:

Before I dropped the engine in the engine bay, I cleaned off the piece of metal with the timing marks so I could clearly see the markings. Then, while I had my thumb over the #1 spark plug hole, my dad turned the engine by hand until I felt compression. Then we checked the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and it was really close to 0*. So, I moved it to 0* by hand and left it there.

Then, we dropped the engine in, and connected the tranny (5-speed). After everything was all said and done and it was time to set the timing, I checked the timing mark again. Well, the mark was just 1/16th of an inch to the left of the farthest timing mark on the scale. I chalked it up to the fact that the flywheel rotated a little bit while installing the clutch and while lining the tranny up.

So, I cranked the timing mark by hand back to 0*. Then, I lined up the rotor on the distributor so that the notch was even with the fork on the oil pump shaft and dropped it in (I've done this hundreds of times on my 76 Trans Am and it worked every time). In theory, this means that the rotor is at the #1 spark tower position (or DAMN close). So, then my dad held a screwdriver right where the rotor was pointing and I installed the dizzy cap, adjusted the nearest spark tower to meet the screwdriver, then tightened the hold down clamp.

Then, I installed the wires on the distributor, following the 18436572 firing order, going counter clockwise on the dizzy. LOL so I cranked it and the engine turned over no problem and gets fuel but won't even attempt to fire.

LMAO... after I wrote all this, I did a quick Google search for a 91 Firebird firing order and I found this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...er-needed.html

I think I've just found my problem. The rotor turns CW, not CCW. That would explain the no fire condition.

Ok wow I just realized how long this post is.......
As I was reading your post and got to where you said you set up the firing order "going counter clockwise on the dizzy" I realized that was your problem, and then you said it right then. Too funny!

I hope it works well with you when you get it fixed. Been there done that too. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:45 PM

LOL yeah I'll be out there first thing tomorrow morning. First, however, I'll have to get a new set of wires.

I had to clepto and jimmy rig a few wires from my 76 Trans Am in order to get everything connected.

I'll report back as soon as I get this corrected.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM

HAhA!!! So I bought a new set of wires and threw them on this morning. Clockwise this time. I didn't even touch the rest of the timing, nor did I touch the EST connector (forgot all about it). She fired RIGHT up.

Note: This is the first time that engine has ran in roughly 2 years. It was sitting in some guys barn. It was from a wrecked 92 Camaro.

Anyway, it started right up and ran really well. I did adjust the dizzy a bit since @ 0*, it stutters and near dies under throttle.

So I advanced it just a tad and now it runs great, but:

The good:
Runs great.

The bad:
Slight oil leak. Can't really tell where it's coming from, but there is oil seeping around the bell housing. I'll take pics to better explain this one. It BETTER NOT be the oil pan gasket! They are a pain in the ***.

Handling not so great. It jerks to a random side every time I lay on the brakes. I'm hearing a popping noise every time I bring the car down off the jack. No telling where it's coming from .

The ugly:
$40 to fill the tank!@$.

In other news, when I first started it up and took it for a victory ride, I heard a LOUD pop from right behind the tranny. I thought oh no, now what. It turns out that we hadn't totally tightened a bolt on the rear of the tranny and the bracket for the drive shaft stabilizer bar popped open. Not a big deal.

Bottom line: It runs and drives under it's own power now. Starts right up every time with no romping on the gas. So despite a small oil leak, I'd say this was a very successful transplant.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 AM

Wow man, that's great! I'm very happy for you. I'm sure you'll take care of those minor details in no time. The oil leak could be the valve covers, that's common and easy to fix. The noise coming down the jack could be a strut's rubber bushings and/or suspension joints (hope not). It'll be worth to check all that just to make sure.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM

True, however, as for right now, all projects are pretty much on hold for the winter. I just have to fix the brakes on my 02 Ranger this weekend and then that's it.

Then, it's on to my primary winter hobby - PC video games
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 AM

True, however, as for right now, all projects are pretty much on hold for the winter. I just have to fix the brakes on my 02 Ranger this weekend and then that's it.

Then, it's on to my primary winter hobby - PC video games
lol not too much into video games myself, plus I live in Miami so the winter is not a problem here, maybe a couple of cold days out of the entire "winter" Where are you anyways?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM

I'm in filthy, cold, rainy, illegal immigrant infested, northeastern PA.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

I'm in filthy, cold, rainy, illegal immigrant infested, northeastern PA.
Try az, same thing but retardedly hot lol