Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Project ZZ4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project ZZ4 Question

Hey Guys. So I have a situation where I need some help. I have an '88 IROC-Z with the 5.7l that I am working on. I want to put a new motor that has more umph than the stock motor. I am really looking at putting a ZZ4 in it due to price with power stats. I plan on putting in a Pro-charger super charger on it with an intercooler to pull around 600+/- hp. Can someone tell me if this works well or have other ideas? Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 350 Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Project ZZ4 Question

You may want to take a look in the power adder section. And are you prepared to do the rest of the supporting work for a 600hp motor?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM

What supporting work is necessary? I am kinda new with working on a performance car.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.11

600 hp you on the edge of being a daily driver at that point. your suspension will need to be reinforced especially the rear so you can actually put that power on the ground. and then you're going to need to mate a transmission up to it that will be able to accomidate this kind of power. not sure what tranny you have but i know the 700r4 will only withstand about 300 hp. im not trying to disgurage you because i think i speak for us all when i say we would endorse this dearly if its done correctly.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

not to mention youll need to stiffen the chassis to be able to handle that power.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 AM

The ZZ4 is a good start. And while the short block is only rated to 500 HP, if you can keep it out of detonation, 600 should live.
But that 10:1 compression is rather high for adding boost. Swapping to some 65 cc AFR 180 heads first would be good. AFR seems to have the best exhaust port flow, and the 65 cc would get your compression down to 9.3:1
And even with 9.3:1, you should still be over 400 HP with those heads.
Unless you keep the TPI. If you want to keep it injected, consider the HsR. If it needs to pass emissions, consider the TPiS MiniRam.
You're going to need plenty of exhaust flow for 600 HP. Like 1.75" headers. Hooker has long-tubes, but if you have to pass emissions, then SLP shorties.
Then you'll be looking at the Mufflex 4" single exhaust.
You'll need a custom driveshaft, $300, a stronger rear axle assembly, $2000, subframe connectors, $250, a built transmission, $2000, plus the supercharger, and the intercooler, and the heads, $1500, and the exhaust $1000+, and sticky tires $300+, and the upgraded fuel system, it adds up fast.
For the price of the ZZ4, you can swap in a low-miles LQ4. For less than the cost of the supercharger kit, you can DIY turbo the LQ4. This is the cheaper and easier route to 600 HP.
You still need the transmission, driveshaft, rear axle, exhaust, tires and subframe connectors, but not the upgraded heads, nor the headers.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Well a lot of that I was already planning on putting in, but the heads and such I didn't know about. As far as emissions goes, don't know if they have them, cause I will be moving to Utah to get closer to my sister and brother-in-law. Him and I are the ones doing the project, well we are doing two projects actually, just different colors. Does any one know if they have emissions in Utah, specifically in the Provo area? I was looking at putting in a Dana 44 full rearend in my car with a full custom exhaust, Hookers and SLP were two brands I was looking at on headers as well as Headman, but being rather knew I dont know who makes good sound and flow that works best and what not. I want to throw true dual exhaust with flowmaster or Borla mufflers reatreating out the back in 3.5" tips. I plan on getting a T-56 tranny built up and thrown in as well. I want to be able to ride on the freeway comfortably with reguards to RPMs.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Are you aware that the F-car-specific Dana 44 axles are rare and expensive, and most other Dana 44s won't work without lots of fabrication? If you don't have the correct version, then best to forget that, and look at other axles. The 12 bolt from either Moser or strange, or a 9-inch, are both offered in direct-fit versions, and are both stronger than the D44, strong enough for 600 HP. If you want to adapt something on a budget, there's the Ford 8.8
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM

How about a dana 60, I have seen it mentioned a few times. Are they pretty easy to put in or do they also require modificationand if so is it a lot? I wanted the corvette rear end because of the drive shaft style axles instead of the typical solid bar axles. But in either case I want something that can take a beating and still ride and cruise nice.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Ok guys so now I have question and this might seem pretty stupid but apparently from what I have noticed a lot of guys have 383's in their camaros. Is that a better advantage than the zz4? Are they cheaper? Better? Easier to find parts and build up, especially with a super charger in mind?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

zz4's have hyper pistons (high silicone) and are NOT good for boost, they will crack under detonation much easier than forged pistons. So if you looking at going boosted, a zz4 is not a great place to start especially if your looking for over 500hp.

If I was in your situation, I would supercharge the motor you have in the car now, build the rest of the car (trans, rear, suspension) THEN go for a stout short block and some nice heads once the car is ready for 600+ hp

i have a zz4, HSR, t56, dana 44 car thats almost done being turbo'd, and I'm going to pull the zz4 and forge the pistons/rods before I crank the boost. I've though through all of your questions before LOL.

Also, for your parts list, the t56 is gonna need a $800+ clutch and probably bigger main shafts and some internal work ($700) to handle 600+ hp reliably. Keep in mind clutch cars with big power break lot's of stuff, When mine goes I may go th400 Im not sure yet

Last edited by sailtexas186548; 07-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Gotcha. Well I prefer a clutch car more than an automatic, so much so that I have already broken a auto tranny in my 89 rs that I had. I just couldnt deal with the fact that I couldnt change gears and what have you and when I had bought the car the guy told me it had a shift kit in it, well that was not true. So there I was changing gears like it was a manual, but not pushing it all that much, and one beautiful day My car decided to start spinning out of gear. I ended up selling it to some kid, because I couldnt pay to fix as I was in the process of getting married. But now that being past and am sorry to have seen it go. But I do plan on building up the t-56 and not keeping it stock by anymeans. I am looking at a S60 rearend as well that will take the beating of a life time. As far as the engine goes, I want to build the motor up right of the bat, with the supercharger, cause I will be setting it up all together. So would a 383 be better to super charge than a 350? and Is it Cheaper or not?