Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter hits a dead spot (what to do?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter hits a dead spot (what to do?)

So for years since i have owned the car it has always went through starters once every year or 2. Every now and then the car would hit a dead spot and there would be NOTHING when you tried to crank over, no attempts, nothing, just silence. So after letting it sit for 5 minutes or sometimes much longer, come back, and it would start.

But recently it started getting very bad so i figured it was the starter just going out like it normally does, so an easy fix right? I replaced it for free cause it was under warranty. Well all was good for the next couple of weeks until today, i crank it over, it attempts to start and right as it attempts it falls into its dead spot and now im stranded (at home thank god) and theres simply nothing when you try to start it, just silence. I tried again and again and nothing.

My brother was outside working on his car at this time and i told him its weird cause if i let it sit for 5 minutes or sometimes longer, then it would start, and as i said this (5 minutes later) i stuck the key in and it started right up (you can hear it pass up its dead spot but i just held down the key to let the momentum pass it).

It may work for the next week or month without falling into its dead spot again or it might fall into it the same day, does anybody know how to fix this? My friend mentioned shims, would this be the issue?

edit: I should also mention that sometimes it clicks like 3 or 5 times before it starts, not often at all but it does (even on new starters, which is also whats in the car now). And sometimes it clicks and lands in its dead spot then im stranded again haha. If im lucky enough to have my dad or brother with me then they get a screwdriver and try to get under the car to touch the screwdriver with the starter somehow and force it to run and get past its dead spot, then it starts just fine when i try again.

Last edited by vyserage; 11-07-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Re: Starter hits a dead spot (what to do?)

Anybody have any idea? So far im just going with the idea of getting my starter shimmed, but if nobody has anything to add then i guess ill just do that :P
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I think you have a neutral start switch issue, or maybe an ignition switch issue, or possibly a bad ground. I would check all those things.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

it could be getting heat soaked. does it always start good when the motor is cold?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Mine had exactly these no-start symptoms for a period once, turned out to be corrosion where the neg batt terminal was crimped onto the cable.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you say a "dead spot" do you mean it clicks but doesn't crank the engine over or literal dead silience?

If it's dead silent I would also agree it's probably an issue with the ignition switch or park/neutral switch (electrical).

If it clicks but won't turn the engine over that could be a number of things from a bad flexplate to battery cable problems (mechanical).

If the cables are original you might just want to replace them on general principle as a starting point. It's too easy for them to get corroded in places that are not visually obvious.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

What brand starters are you replacing? They might be cheap. Try a quality starter. It starts after 5 minutes because that's how long it takes for the battery to recover itself after a failed start attempt. Once the voltage is high enough the starter is able to turn past its dead spot. Tap it with a metal object, like a wrench, next time it does this and you don't want to wait 5 min.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 AM

all excellent tips. The car has ALWAYS started instantly. It has never had any problem starting at any time, cold or hot. The moment you crank it over it almost instantaneously starts. I will start with replacing the battery cable itself (the terminals are new so just the cable should be fine). The cable i have never replaced since before i got the car from my father (before 2002). The starter itself is new, just put it in a week or 2 ago and its not a super cheap starter but its not a great one either, i believe i paid around 70 bucks for it.

I will start with the battery cable and if it still continues to do it afterwards then i will see what else i can do.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Damon
When you say a "dead spot" do you mean it clicks but doesn't crank the engine over or literal dead silience?

If it's dead silent I would also agree it's probably an issue with the ignition switch or park/neutral switch (electrical).

If it clicks but won't turn the engine over that could be a number of things from a bad flexplate to battery cable problems (mechanical).

If the cables are original you might just want to replace them on general principle as a starting point. It's too easy for them to get corroded in places that are not visually obvious.
kind of both really. The moment i try to start it, it will click a few times and then go silent like there is ZERO power going to it and it will remain that way until it sits for a while or until i get a screwdriver and mess with the starter (something to do with arching the screwdriver on the starter i guess? I never actualy did it myself, was always my bro or dad).
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Sorry, missed the bit about the ability to 'screwdriver start' it. This just bypasses the solenoid with the screwdriver; if it starts ok this way, then your batt and cables are probably fine. Sounds like a couple of bad starters, or heat soak as mentioned above.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 AM

Car: 1990 IROCZ
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: No RPO codes

I'm currently having the issue,but for me it never happens when the car is cold,only after I've been driving it and shut it down. Did you find out what was your problem?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 421 Little M block
Transmission: TH400 w/brake
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.30s, Wilwood discs, 28X10.5-15

Clicking is a sign of a bad battery, bad connections, or heat soaked solenoid.

since you can bump start it... I would suspect the solenoid is OK.

Clean all terminals, Battery cables (+ & - ) and check the solenoid wiring..
Old 05-21-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by vyserage
kind of both really. The moment i try to start it, it will click a few times and then go silent like there is ZERO power going to it and it will remain that way until it sits for a while or until i get a screwdriver and mess with the starter (something to do with arching the screwdriver on the starter i guess? I never actualy did it myself, was always my bro or dad).
I know this is an old thread but my car is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? It’s really annoying and makes me not want to drive it anywhere for fear it won’t start and strand me somewhere. So far just waiting a few minutes works but I don’t know for how long. Let me know if you see this.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David does your car have VATS (resistor in the key). Back in the day my 91' RS would do that from time to time.