Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

CAM and Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAM and Intake question

So i bought an engine off of a member on the forums here. The specs he told me are as follows:
Long block has Cometic head gaskets, GM Performance Head bolts.
CompCam XE294H-10 With CompCam 1.6 Full roller rockers
4bolt main block
Eagle 383 rotating assembly
Edelbrock E-tec 210 heads

So at the moment i am trying to figure out which carb intake i should match with this cam. I was doing some reading, and from what i have gathered i want to match the RPM range as much as possible. What i have also read is that for street application, i would want to run a dual plane intake. What i am confused about is that everything I am reading in the RPM range of this cam is a single plane.

The goal of the car is to have a nice cruiser with a nice kick to it.

The summit specs are as followed for the cam:
Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:2,800-7,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:250
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:256
Duration at 050 inch Lift:250 int./256 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:294
Advertised Exhaust Duration:306
Advertised Duration:294 int./306 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.519 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.523 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.519 int./0.523 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):110
Computer-Controlled Compatible:No
Grind Number:CS XE294H-10
Valve Springs Required:Yes

Now originally i was looking at getting Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet

These are the summit specs on the intake
ntake Section Included:Complete
Engine Block Style:Stock/OEM standard deck
Carburetor Quantity:One
Intake Styleual plane
Basic Operating RPM Range:1,500-6,500
Intake Finish:Natural
Intake Material:Aluminum
EGR:No

So any suggestions, whats throwing me off atm is what would be better to go with matching the RPM's as close as possible or going dual plane. Keep in mind this strictly a street car.

Thanks for reading
Old 05-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: CAM and Intake question

Originally Posted by Reddeath210
whats throwing me off atm is what would be better to go with matching the RPM's as close as possible
or going dual plane.
Keep in mind this strictly a street car.
Change the cam to a smaller more street type in keeping with your driving needs ( and the DP intake you wish to run )
Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Hydraulic flat tappet cams are trash. Either use the benefits of a solid flat tappet or convert to a roller. You need to know your compression before selecting a camshaft. We also need to know what transmission and rear end gear is being used.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Hydraulic flat tappet cams are trash. Either use the benefits of a solid flat tappet or convert to a roller. You need to know your compression before selecting a camshaft. We also need to know what transmission and rear end gear is being used.
I bought the engine already assembled just needs a manifold i just want to match the manifold and the camshaft.

Compression if i remember correctly is 12 to 1. tranny is a 700r4. rear is a 10 bolt, with 3.73 gears.

What i need to do is get the thing running and into the car asap, so my dad doesnt murder me lol. So I am looking to the the best manifold for what its got in it already.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Start out with a Performer RPM, or if it's not a street car, an Air Gap.

Kinda work your way out from there.

Resist the temptation to put "too much" manifold on it right away. (single plane)

You didn't tell us what converter, how much the car weighs, what suspension it has, etc. etc. etc. etc. All the things that would help dial in the choice more closely. Which tells me, you don't have enough experience yet, to know what matters. Which means, you're more or less just starting out down this path.

Start out with the high probability type of option, gain some more experience, then you'll be ready to make the next decision.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Start out with a Performer RPM, or if it's not a street car, an Air Gap.

Kinda work your way out from there.

Resist the temptation to put "too much" manifold on it right away. (single plane)

You didn't tell us what converter, how much the car weighs, what suspension it has, etc. etc. etc. etc. All the things that would help dial in the choice more closely. Which tells me, you don't have enough experience yet, to know what matters. Which means, you're more or less just starting out down this path.

Start out with the high probability type of option, gain some more experience, then you'll be ready to make the next decision.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, what benefits does the air gap give you, and do you think that RPM band will be close enough for the cam?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Air gap gives a cooler intake charge. Which is more power if the fuel is set up accordingly; OTOH, FAR more hassle on the street if you live in the salt belt.

All of those other car details, plus a bit more about where the car will spend its life, would help make a more accurate recommendation.

If you're not ready or able to do that, go with the non-air-gap, and see how it works; then make a change if it's necessary. Intakes are CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, and only take a coupla minutes to swap; not like it's the end of the world if you find you could improve by making a change.

Don't try to outsmart yourself. Do something, preferably the most basic something, gather some data, then once that has helped clear the fog, make the next move. (if that's even necessary)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Air gap gives a cooler intake charge. Which is more power if the fuel is set up accordingly; OTOH, FAR more hassle on the street if you live in the salt belt.

All of those other car details, plus a bit more about where the car will spend its life, would help make a more accurate recommendation.

If you're not ready or able to do that, go with the non-air-gap, and see how it works; then make a change if it's necessary. Intakes are CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, and only take a coupla minutes to swap; not like it's the end of the world if you find you could improve by making a change.

Don't try to outsmart yourself. Do something, preferably the most basic something, gather some data, then once that has helped clear the fog, make the next move. (if that's even necessary)
Thanks for the help sofakingom, I think I am going to go with the performer RPM, Just for some more information the car will spend most of its like on the east coast, up in PA.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Cam is big in my opinion. Better match for vic jr and alot of stall. Street definately an rpm type dual plane or others equivalent but i feel cam should be 10 deg smaller atleast for a nice street cruiser but that will not work at 12:1 compression unless e85