Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Have spark, have fuel, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have spark, have fuel, won't start

I'm totally stumped.

86 trans am, 305, edelbrock performer carb.

I replaced the distributor rotor and cap, and now the car won't start. I've checked and rechecked the firing order, verified that I had spark, verified that the engine block is grounded, and I can't get the car to make a sound.

I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb throat, nothing, just cranks. No popping, no misfire, nothing. Fresh battery.

The distributor hold down screw is tight, so I don't think I rotated the distributor while it was off. But if I did, could I have screwed up the timing so badly that the car won't even missfire while it cranks?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Have spark, have fuel, won't start

Does this still have the original style coil-in-cap?

Where/how is the spark being tested?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 PM

Does this still have the original style coil-in-cap?

Where/how is the spark being tested?
Yes it does. I verified spark by popping the plug wire off of the #2 plug, putting it onto a new spark plug, grounding the body of the plug, and cranking the engine. I was able to see a clear blue spark.

The car was running fine two days ago.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 PM

Just installed a new coil. Verified blue spark again, this time from a different distributor lead. Still nothing.

The butterfly valves in the carb are actuating. I noticed that the accelerator pump was visibly squirting fuel, I disconnected it for now just in case I was flooding the engine, will try again tomorrow.

I'll also try pouring gasoline down the carb inlet to make sure the needle isn't stuck open.

Am I going crazy?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

Kind of off the wall... Is your catalytic converter plugged? You might not have anywhere for the exhaust to go which would keep it from starting...

I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Get it started? If you are getting fuel and spark it should at least sputter. Pull a plug and see what it looks like. If all wet, flooded and will not fire. Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to no. 1 tower when engine is at top dead center mark on balancer. You changed the rotor and cap so be sure those pieces are properly seated and aligned. HTH, GL!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by camarohelp
I'm totally stumped.

86 trans am, 305, edelbrock performer carb.

I replaced the distributor rotor and cap, and now the car won't start. I've checked and rechecked the firing order, verified that I had spark, verified that the engine block is grounded, and I can't get the car to make a sound.

I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb throat, nothing, just cranks. No popping, no misfire, nothing. Fresh battery.

The distributor hold down screw is tight, so I don't think I rotated the distributor while it was off. But if I did, could I have screwed up the timing so badly that the car won't even missfire while it cranks?
Weird that it's not even attempting to sputter or pop, I doubt it's timing since a poorly timed motor will still backfire. Check the wires coming off the side of the distributor cap on the coil.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Are the plugs soaked with fuel? That will shunt any spark energy to ground before a spark can develop across the gap.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Cleaned the carb. Nothing obviously wrong with it, floats within spec. Replaced all spark plugs and wires. Nothing.

Old plugs were worn out, and fouled out, some smelled of fuel, others were dry.

Pulled the dip stick, oil doesn't have coolant in it, so it isn't a head gasket.

Gonna pull a valve cover tonight and check if the valves move when the engine spins. Maybe I had a coincidental timing chain failure.

Kind of off the wall... Is your catalytic converter plugged? You might not have anywhere for the exhaust to go which would keep it from starting...
Doubt it, I went around to the exhaust and smelled gas after cranking.

Pull a plug and see what it looks like. If all wet, flooded and will not fire. Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to no. 1 tower when engine is at top dead center mark on balancer.
I'll try to find TDC tonight and see if things are lining up.

This one's a mystery.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:11 PM

Have the ignition module under the distributor rotor testes. If it went bad then the vehicle will not start. I have had this problem a few times.

Last edited by Reese-J; 09-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:22 PM

I have had one that was bad and it would still spark but it caused the timing to be 45 degrees off (electricaly).
Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reese-J
Have the ignition module under the distributor rotor testes. If it went bad then the vehicle will not start. I have had this problem a few times.

I rreeaaallly hope you're onto something. I pulled mine off a little while ago. Vatozone gave me the wrong replacement. I'll have to get a ride to have it tested tomorrow.

Last edited by camarohelp; 09-13-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:44 PM

Replaced the ignition module. Still nothing. Just a very slight hint of a sputter.

Pickup coil tested at 800 ohms.

I think all that's left at this point is to replace the entire distributor and reset the timing.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 PM

If anyone was keeping track, after replacing the distributor, it turned out to indeed be the timing. Apparently I had it just wrong enough that the engine wouldn't even sputter.

Not sure how I screwed it up. Maybe the old distributor cap wasn't seated correctly? Maybe I put the wires back one position from where they should have been?

In any case, expensive mistake, but I'm glad to have a smoother running car after going through everything. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Originally Posted by camarohelp
If anyone was keeping track, after replacing the distributor, it turned out to indeed be the timing. Apparently I had it just wrong enough that the engine wouldn't even sputter.

Not sure how I screwed it up. Maybe the old distributor cap wasn't seated correctly? Maybe I put the wires back one position from where they should have been?

In any case, expensive mistake, but I'm glad to have a smoother running car after going through everything. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it figured out!