Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rodents Chewing Wires near Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rodents Chewing Wires near Intake Manifold

My 88 GTA started bogging about a month ago. It's intermittent. Sometimes I can drive around for 5 minutes with no problem, then it comes back. The car doesn't stall, just bogs some, and even bucks softly sometimes.

I put some isopropyl alcohol in the gas tank and I thought it fixed it, since I drove for 2 miles afterwards without any bogging. Next day the bog was back.

Today I noticed some mouse or chipmunk has built himself a big nest under the intake manifold. Don't know how long it has been there.

One of the wires to an injector has been chewed, and the plastic is off one side of it for about an inch, exposing the copper. The wire is not chewed all the way through. I'm assuming the injector is still working properly.

I looked all around the intake manifold for tubes and wires that might have been chewed, but didn't find anything else.

And what is that round valve under the intake man with a vac tube going into it? That's an EGR valve, isn't it? If the vac tube to it has been chewed would that cause bogging?

Thanks for any help !!!!

Last edited by GTA88; 02-12-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Re: Rodents Chewing Wires near Intake Manifold

Well, whatever the problem is went away for at least a half hour yesterday! All I did was remove one spark plug to inspect it, and put it back in. Spark plug looked good. Gap was only 0.040. Very light ash discoloring. Almost no black carbon.

I had put some mouse traps on the front tires. No mice caught. Maybe they're gone for now.

I moved some wires around looking for any more chewed wires or tubes. Nothing. Tapped on some sensors, and tapped on the maf burnoff relay.

Started it up and watched it idle for 5 minutes. Nice and smooth. And the SES light was off, which is rare. It was bogging with and without the SES light on. The code was 36, which is maf. And the car never bogged for years with the code 36, anyway. So I don't think the maf is necessarily the problem.

Then the idle dropped a little bit, but engine still ran smoothly.

Put the hood down, backed her out of the driveway, expecting to have the usual bogging until it warmed up more. But no bog! Even at only about 100 degrees on the temp dial. Drove it around for about 15 minutes, got it all the way up to 220 when I shut it off back in the garage.

Well, maybe it's some loose connection on one of those sensors I tapped.
Or maybe some piece of junk or water in the fuel system finally moved through or dissolved or something.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

That round thing with the vacuum tube on it under the plenum is the EGR. If everything is working and connected properly, the EGR Solenoid will control the opening and closing of the EGR depending on temperature and speed of the engine. Put a new hose on it.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the reply! The hose isn't chewed, though. Looks good.

I drove it again yesterday, and the bog is back, but not as bad as it originally was. Happening at light throttle mostly.

I got another bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Maybe I'll put that in. And maybe a bottle of Techron, just in case an injector is getting dirty.

I was thinking of changing the spark plugs, but the one I pulled looked very clean, and the gap was still right. They do have at least 40,000 miles on them though!

I'd hate to keep changing things and not fix the problem.

More later.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

rodents don't like dryer sheets or pepper spray, so you can use those to help keep them away. I use them in my garage in the winter and have had good luck. I use the dryer sheets in the car and spray around the wheels every couple weeks with some homemade pepper spray.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks. I'm going to buy some Bouce at Walmart.

Well today was another good day for the GTA!

All I did was tap the CTS and whatever sensor was next to it, with a wrench. Well, I also made sure the MAF sensor got a burnoff cycle, by turning the key on, then off, and waiting a few seconds for the maf wire to burn itself clean. Started her up, no SES light.

Drove away, no bog! Drove her for 20 minutes, got the temp all the way up to 220 degrees, out her back in the garage.

Knock on wood. Not doing anything else to it at this point !
Old 03-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Well, the bog came bag slightly. So... I poured in my 10 ounce bottle of Techron, followed by a half gallon of gas from my plastic gas can to wash the Techron down into the tank, to see if that would clean off any junk that might be on the injectors. Now the bog is worse!! And.... it is not running as well at idle and while revving in neutral. There now is a dead spot when giving it gas an revving it in neutral, that wasn't there before. Dang! It is still drivable, but has a new dead spot while accelerating, and the soft bucking is back.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Have you replaced the original injectors yet?

High mileage cars they're usually wore out, low mileage garage queens they're gummed up from storage. There is almost always an improvement to be had by fresh injectors.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Drew, no I haven't replaced the injectors yet. There's 'only' 150,000 miles on the car now. Seems too early.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by GTA88
Drew, no I haven't replaced the injectors yet. There's 'only' 150,000 miles on the car now. Seems too early.
It's never too early with the multecs! You should also check your fuel pressure. Has the car ever had the fuel pump replaced?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your description of bogging sounds like what I am having. I'm going to replace the knock sensor and see if that fixes it. It affects timing.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by vinny R
It's never too early with the multecs! You should also check your fuel pressure. Has the car ever had the fuel pump replaced?
I think I have the original fuel pump in it. OK, may have to buy a fuel pressure gauge now. I haven't heard the groan from the fuel pump when the key is on, for a few months. Wonder what that means? Still starts normally though (although yesterday it started for 2 seconds then died, but started right back up).
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Pro
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 and 1995 Silverado
Engine: 5.7 TPI and 5.7 TBI to TPI convert
Transmission: 700R4 and 4l60E
Axle/Gears: G80 3.23 and open 3.42

I just wanted to say lol because i caught on my floodlight cam behind my house a opossom coming out from under my mazda last week. there is all kinds of twigs and sht in the engine bay now i know why.