Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Aftermarket head recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket head recommendations

Hi, I have a '91 Z28 that has a 305 TPI engine in it. I'm currently in the process of replacing the stock intake with a Weiland 7540 Stealth RAM... and now that I've gotten down to the heads, I am considering replacing the heads with aftermarket heads while I'm at it. The heads have a lot of carbon build up and I know for sure the valve stem seals are leaking in one or more cylinders. But the engine is 30 years old with 150k miles on it! Can anyone give me a suggestion for aftermarket heads?

This car is a street car that I like to drive around town on weekends, so I'm not looking for anything nuts. Just something new with maybe a small amount of performance gain. It looks like there are a ton of options to consider so I'm like a deer in headlights when it comes to picking out a decent set of heads.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Old 06-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1991 base firebird
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Aftermarket head recommendations

they don't make a lot of performance heads for the 305 which I always thought was stupid considering how many were put into cars. when I was searching the heads that kept coming to the top of the heap were the trickflow 23 heads. they have good reviews and are made to add performance to a 305. you can actually bump your compression a tad.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff

You could see if you can find a set of 305 Vortec heads (059 casting, I think). It would provide a decent bump for you. The downside is that you'd have to switch to a Vortec bolt pattern intake which doesn't make a lot of sense if you already bought a new intake.

As far as aftermarket heads go... I guess I really can't recommend going that route. Most of the 305 heads I'm familiar with are marketed towards circle track racers that have to meet certain rules. You could potentially put larger heads on, but I don't think you'd be happy with that, either. 601 and 416 heads came in the l69 engines and aren't too bad with some porting. There's several threads on them around here somewhere.

If you're going to purchase aftermarket heads, you may wish to just see if you can find a relatively cheap 350 short block to purchase and install them on. Maybe throw a cam in while you're at it. You'll get a lot more for your money that way. Depending on your location, you might even be able to just get an entire L31 Vortec from the junk yard for $300-ish. Check bearings, install your go-fast parts, and have a heck of a lot of fun.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogBob (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorlain
You could see if you can find a set of 305 Vortec heads (059 casting, I think). It would provide a decent bump for you. The downside is that you'd have to switch to a Vortec bolt pattern intake which doesn't make a lot of sense if you already bought a new intake.

As far as aftermarket heads go... I guess I really can't recommend going that route. Most of the 305 heads I'm familiar with are marketed towards circle track racers that have to meet certain rules. You could potentially put larger heads on, but I don't think you'd be happy with that, either. 601 and 416 heads came in the l69 engines and aren't too bad with some porting. There's several threads on them around here somewhere.

If you're going to purchase aftermarket heads, you may wish to just see if you can find a relatively cheap 350 short block to purchase and install them on. Maybe throw a cam in while you're at it. You'll get a lot more for your money that way. Depending on your location, you might even be able to just get an entire L31 Vortec from the junk yard for $300-ish. Check bearings, install your go-fast parts, and have a heck of a lot of fun.

The heads he has now are basically 416es with a center bolt pattern. The Trick Flow 23 degree heads mentioned look really good and they're not that costly. If I were on a budget I'd try to find someone that could port the irons out and replace the seals if the guides aren't shot. Conversion to positive seals would be nice and if you get the small ones you could bump up your cam some.

Also, to be sure you're aware you'll need ECU recalibrations for this stuff. Maybe larger injectors something like some 24-28lb/hr. Should run pretty well when done.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

I like the "Engine Quest" Brand iron heads. They have Vortec style combustion chambers and a thicker deck surface, according to the manufacturer. I have not them.

https://enginequest.com/enginequest/...chevrolet-350/

Popular Hotrodding used them in their "Sledge Hammer $3500 447 HP build.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0611...c-small-block/

Another link(I have not read this one yet)
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0710...-engine-build/
NoEmissions84TA (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff

The Engine Quest heads in that article are the same as the Pro Topline 906\350C heads I run. Engine Quest purchased them when Pro Topline went under. They're basically just reproduction Vortec heads with some mild improvements. Thicker decks, better casting, screw in studs, etc. Stock they have 64cc combustion chambers which will drop compression on the 305.

They also make 305 heads that, again, are basically reproduction 305 Vortec heads. They might make them in the old style bolt pattern, though, instead of Vortec only. But if you're set on going aftermarket heads, just go for some decent aluminum heads right out of the gate.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

The Engine Quest(EQ) head used in the "Sledgehammer " engine build had the bolt pattern that allowed our TPI manifolds and rocker covers to bolt on. "Jorlain" I am considering EQ heads if I build a TPI L98 to replace my LB9 TPI 305 AT, in my '89 IROC Vert. What can you tell me about your EQ experience? PM if you prefer. Mike
Old 06-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by Sparafucile
Hi, I have a '91 Z28 that has a 305 TPI engine in it. I'm currently in the process of replacing the stock intake with a Weiland 7540 Stealth RAM... and now that I've gotten down to the heads, I am considering replacing the heads with aftermarket heads while I'm at it. The heads have a lot of carbon build up and I know for sure the valve stem seals are leaking in one or more cylinders. But the engine is 30 years old with 150k miles on it! Can anyone give me a suggestion for aftermarket heads?

This car is a street car that I like to drive around town on weekends, so I'm not looking for anything nuts. Just something new with maybe a small amount of performance gain. It looks like there are a ton of options to consider so I'm like a deer in headlights when it comes to picking out a decent set of heads.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Read this post to see what Ja85Z28 did to his L69 305: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-aerohead.html
Old 06-12-2020, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips everyone! I guess, now I'm leaning more towards taking the existing heads off and taking them to a machine shop to be cleaned/rebuilt. My thought it to just do the minimal to rebuild the 305 since it's so old and save the money for a future 350 engine swap. Now, if I took them to a machine shop, is there anything special I should think about besides cleanup? I.e. is it worth porting or no? And is it fair to assume that changing valves/rocker arms isn't really going to do much from a performance perspective?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just have them pocket ported.
NoEmissions84TA (06-12-2020)