Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Please Help Me- I'm writing a college paper on street racing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help Me- I'm writing a college paper on street racing!

In my paper I'm going to write about a fictional street racer and his typical day. I think I'll start out writing about tuning the car and burning PROMs. I may also mention internet forums and Thirdgen.org.

Then he's going to meet up with some of his other fbody friends. Sometime throughout the night he's going to find a late model Cobra and setup a race for some heavy cash.

The mustang driver charecter will be based on a guy in my area known on message boards as "Trust Fund Cobra Boy," a stuck up rich kid with a really fast mustang. All of his mods were done by shop guys, even his CAI.

I think the main charector will win the race, and then the mustang guy will try to get away w/out paying.

I will try to make fun of ricers as much as possible. It's very important to me that my story doesn't look like a clone of "The Fast and the Furious." More like "Fast and the Furious: The Real Story."

There are some things I would like you guys to help me out with though:

-I need a name for the main charecter, and an internet handle. Something really catchy.

I think his car will be a 3rd gen T/A, sort of a street sleeper.

-I also need some more ideas for his mods that I can write about. Nothing too complicated, so the reader can follow. I'm thinking I can describe a hidden nitrous system, and an electric exhaust cut-out. Ofcourse the car will have a lot more mods, but it's a fairly short paper and I can only talk about so many of them. Hopefully I can keep a decent amount of tech info in the paper. I'll have to wait and get some feedback from my prof and some other students though, to make sure the average person can understand most of it.

I'm sure I'll have more to ask once my paper is a little further through the writing process. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Please help me represent Fbodies everywhere!

Thanks again.
-Brian
Old 09-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Say he has a Hooker cat-back.

I would really bash ricers if it were my paper.

Sad thing is, you could say any mod, but the only thing people would recognize, is type r stickers, nawwzzz, a huge aluminum wing and some 18s.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Banned

sad but true
Old 09-08-2002, 07:13 PM

i've thought about creating a racing comic several times. i know there are several import ***** comics, but that's to unreal for me. i think a few ideas that would work is use your own exp. have the main character have firends who help him along in the story, like a just one...kinda "side kick" character. balance the paper and story a lil bit. but make it look like the kid can have a good time no matter what. i would love the read the final paper if you dont mind sharing it.
~Opha~
Old 09-08-2002, 07:21 PM

I'll probably post it when I get the final draft done, if I think it's worthy of thirdgen.org
Old 09-08-2002, 11:44 PM

definately post the draft. Once u get a rough one post it and we'll respond. Until then, make it an '89 T/A L98 ( i don't like the 91-92 or 90 front ends as much) black with full exhaust, the electric cutout, definately 5 speed maybe even a nice beefy T-56 (6 speed). Just say the car has a lot of "engine work" and make sure it has some slicks Have the main character's sidekick drive a big *** lifted pickup truck so when stang kid runs the truck can run him into a ditch! As for a name, make it a cool name like Spectre (Twisted Metal) or something. His thirdgen name could be stangkiller or something. Just throwing stuff out. I have a pretty good imagination so if i think of anything else i'll post. Good luck dude and post that draft.

~Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
I think you should incorporate the police into it somehow, or the rich kid wrecking his car and the main character having to decide to go back and help him and be apprehended or leave the scene and leave the guy injured and helpless. its up to you, but teachers dig that kinda stuff
Old 09-09-2002, 12:11 AM

Yep, it's gonna be an '89 L98, like my car

"Spectre" NICE. Great idea, just what I was looking for. I always loved Twisted Metal, still my favorite playstation game

Thanks man.
-Brian
Old 09-09-2002, 12:12 AM

Yeah, I gotta have the main charecter elude the cops atleast once!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:21 AM

Make the thirdgenner a hero-sort of guy, that pulls the ***** out of his burning cobra, then takes off before the police arive. I like the 6speed Idea. Just say he has worked on the car for years, and saved as much money as possible to make it superfast. Say he has put in a 406, and a killer fogger NX kit. Also, for the cobra, say he couldn't have a shop install nawws intime for the race, so him and his budies did it the day before, ****ed it up, and ended up blowing the hood off w/ a nitrous fire halfway through the race. Make the guy run some rice before he catches up with the cobra guy. Say he fliped the switch to open his no2 tank, purged it, but didn't even need it because the civic was way too slow to even bother. Then make the ***** bitch about being sprayed on when he really wasn't.

Damn, I'm getting enough ideas to make my own story. Anyway, good luck, and please post it when finished.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 350 firebreathing inches of Small Block Chevrolet
Transmission: A 700R4 that has trouble handling the formentioned 350.
I like the car and the story line, but the thing here is, your not writing a novel, it's just a short story (although I would read a novel about Street Racing and this story sounds pretty good right now).
So I'm not sure how long of a short story, because by the sounds of this you are going to need a good 6-8 pages if you use most of the idea's you have now. Esspecially if you want to do an informed and detailed story. So perhaps go with a different topic for this short story and save the street racer story for a later longer assignment.
But still a great idea!!!
Later, and good luck, Garrett (Junior in College, Accounting Major and English Minor, I know they don't match but whatever)
Old 09-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Transmission: 4L60e
What about.....

if the main character races only in secluded cutoff areas away from pedestrians and traffic...and the mustangboy tries to escape by leaving and weaving in and out of rush hour traffic....until he clips the nose of an undercover police car on accident and gets arrested and locked up for wreckless endangerment.

This would lend a pseudo-good light to the street racing scene.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:51 PM

that's a good idea eye-candy. We have to decide what the main ideas are and what we what to get across. For me, i'd say this:

1. his car is the ****
2. he only races in secluded areas so no one gets hurt
3. street racing can be GLORIOUS if done safely
4. the mustang kid is an a$$
5. ricers suck and are totally obnoxious on the roads
6. last and most important, Thirdgens are the best and no one can beat them!

~Matt
Old 09-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Transmission: 4L60e
Originally posted by Matt86t/a
Thirdgens are the best and no one can beat them!

~Matt

that's a bit far there man. I'm an enthusiast...but not a liar . :lala:
Old 09-09-2002, 03:28 PM

I like the idea of the moron getting locked up, but our hero sould really get his cash for the race.

Now Matt, I could beat an iron duke on my skateboard....In the 1/8 mile

Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 PM

i was just being sarcastic, geesh. No offense taken though guys. Ok, just make it that L98's are unbeatable. It's your story though. Have fun.

~Matt
Old 09-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds good, and post it, but why make Mustang guys look bad. Not all of us are stuck up rich kids, I take pride in paying for everything on my car, doing my own mods, and even the 2nd place trophy from the race track and 3rd place trophy from the car show!!! I am 17 and it is expensive, but I manage!