Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

Any more thoughts on our Summer Camp gathering?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Any more thoughts on our Summer Camp gathering?????

What do you all think of a Canadian F body Nationals?????? The Exhibtion grounds here in Welland can hold well over 1000 cars plus probably about 75 to 100 cars in the indoor tennis building. I know we could have a huge turn out. Plus arrange a huge cruise to the drags in Cayuga. Just a Idea. We can camp at the Exhibtions grounds and I beleive it cost $2500 for the weekend. If we can get over 100cars that's only like $25 a car to camp for the weekend. We could turn it into a car show for the Sunday and charge a small fee to come and look at the cars, of course proceeds would go to a charity of some type to help promote the car show. It could not only be a show but a swap meet too. Just a idea...we could try to beat Marks Thirdgen Nationals Let me know what you all think???? This could be great, but will require some serious thinking and organizing.

Thanks Keiran
Old 12-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be hard to get 100 cars.
We were lucky to get 8 people for dinner on friday!

Also, did anybody notice something? We're all members of a third gen board, we love our cars, but there was not a single third gen at our meet for dinner and pool. Odd.

I think $2500 is a little steep, as 20 or 30 cars would probably be more realistic.

At any rate, you can count me in at least.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

That is just it Jon. We would really need to advertise this one. It would be the only way. I really don't think it would happen this year. There are alot more F body owners out there then are here on the boards. I just need a good amount of people here to commit to this idea and get the ball rollin. I know! We could get over 100 cars. Advertisemnets man...gotta advertise! This would have to include putting out flyers at every single car show and swap meet. Evey single drag weekend at as many of the close tracks as possible. I think it could work...just need a back up crew to help make it so.

"IF WE BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!" LOL
Old 12-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Daz
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: Chevy V8
Transmission: auto
Originally posted by Cruzin Kaz
That is just it Jon. We would really need to advertise this one. It would be the only way. I really don't think it would happen this year. There are alot more F body owners out there then are here on the boards. I just need a good amount of people here to commit to this idea and get the ball rollin. I know! We could get over 100 cars. Advertisemnets man...gotta advertise! This would have to include putting out flyers at every single car show and swap meet. Evey single drag weekend at as many of the close tracks as possible. I think it could work...just need a back up crew to help make it so.

"IF WE BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!" LOL
lol If I build it,it will blow up..lol

Daz
Old 12-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Daz
lol If I build it,it will blow up..lol

Daz
LOL! I hope we don't use that as our slogan How you maken out with the new build anyway??? Did you find a BB yet?
Old 12-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

WOW!! I really thought that there would be some more interest in this. Hey I'm up for it, just looks like no one else is. Well let me know people. I can't start looking into sponsors, and aftermarket companies and what not till we have some committment. This could very well likely become a huge annual event. But I can't do it by myself, wish I could but I can't. No one interested.....
Old 12-23-2002, 10:06 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Pace Car & 1989 IROC
Engine: LG4. & 350 TPI
Transmission: 200C
Kaz,
This is a great idea. But it's also a huge undertaking !!
There are so many details to bring together that it will take a group of us to tackle them.
Depending on how formal/informal a gathering you want to make this, the cost and effort will go up.
If it's informal it's a matter of securing a spot and dividing the cost per car. Sponsors are hard to come by (often) because they want recognition. If it's formal , then we will definately need lots of sponsors, a list of prepaid entrants, directions for accomodations, some givaways, food , some events, T-shirts, a cruise perhaps. Also, depending on the cost, many entrants will expect "value" for the money and a bit of organization on our part. This puts us in a position of having to get as many people to attend as possible to make it a success. A dozen cars won't be enough.

I think in order to pursue this properly it may be a good idea to attend Mark Shield's gathering. We can determine where he went wrong and take advantage of his successes and mistakes. If I were a betting man, I say Mark won't pull this off properly, if at all. Putting on a gathering for 100's of cars is more than securing a field and telling everyone to have a good time. You agree? Mark's got 6 months to do all this. I wish him much success, don't get me wrong.

Pacer
Old 12-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

You a very right in everything you mentioned. Actually I believe this is Marks 2nd year. I would love to make it as big as possible. I'm not scared of having to do some work, but yeah it won't come easy, that is why I am hoping there are others that will commit. I know that this can't really happen till next summer, not this one coming up. That gives us a year and a half to organize this event. I know I can get David Chev Olds here in town to be a contributing sponsor, plus all the speed shops around her too for the most part. But I would love to get the big guys like Holley and Edlebrock, etc. etc. I am up for the challenge just need to get about a dozen people together and we can make this work. Like I said earlier. Advertisement. We could call it the " Largest F body Show in the World" That should get some hardcores attention. Thanks for the input Ron. We can do this...just have to work for it.

Keiran
Old 12-23-2002, 10:19 AM
KWF

I agree that this could be a huge undertaking... we could start with an F-Body camping weekend including a drive to Cayuga on the saturday or something... and see what kinda interest we get?

Kitchener-Waterloo F-Body will help as much as we can!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks Craig. That is a good idea actually. We could start next year, and work our way up from there. I'd appreciate any help from you all. Thanks for the input. So we should probably start thinking of just a simple camp gathering for this year and we could use that as our building blocks, and spread the word. We need to keep in mind, I am not talking just 3rd gen cars here. I am talking about all F bodys, right from 67 to the present. This allows for more particepants. Keep the ideas coming, this helps alot.

Thanks
Keiran
Old 12-23-2002, 02:58 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Transmission: 5 Speed
you can count me in.......it would be nice to have something here closer to home. Advertise is the key!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
This is my first year. And I'm trying to do the best job I can, for this being the first time of anything of this magnitude, thing is with such a large scale, I doubt it can be like past events.

I want there to be freedom and people to lead their own way instead me directing everything, because like Pacer even eluded too, I'll fail, there's no way I can be in charge of directing so many people, I'm sure if there is a place , which I have, and everyone shows up, we can work things out, it's not hard to have fun with a bunch of 3rd Gens around.

Pacer, since you seem to think I'm going to fail (just restating what you said), can you give me any tips? I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 92 TA vert
every year the Kitchener car club that i am a member of puts on a car show. it take us about 6 months with a commity of 5 people to pull it off. it is a totaly formal car show with prices and awards. it over 30 sponcers. On average we get about 200 cars. this kind of show takes alot of work to set up and see to the end.

i have been watching Marks progress and he seem to be well on the way to getting the job done right.

Mark my tips for you would be...

1 let other people help you if they can. you can never have to
much help.

2 get the word out. as much as you can

3 set dates and times in stone. dont make changes for a few because its not good for them.

4 try to get your sponcers to donate or pay for part of the camp grounds that you need to book. ( to keep the cost down for people attending NOT camping) it will also make it easyer for you. if you only need to collect money from a few sponcers rather than every one that attends.

i have a few others if you would like to PM me or email me feel free
Old 12-23-2002, 05:40 PM

Tips for Mark: (no particular order)

1) Delegate, delegate, delegate.......
2) Delegate jobs/positions to board members (esp. in your area)
3) Surround yourself with people having your "vision"..
4) Sponsors = $$, get lots ( several peoples job ) (visit GM dealers)
5) Start collecting $, (good, you started) you don't want to be left holding the bag.
6) DJ...anyone on the board to volunteer?
7) T-shirt contest...invite board memebers to submit designs...then run off 100 large or so and sell for a profit
8) Invite vendors (parts/apparel/die cast) .. ask for donations...then delagate 1 person/per item to sell tickets to raffel them (=$).
9) Trophies, be carefull here... only a couple of "general" classes...like "Ladies choice","Longest distance travelled", "Highest mileage", "Best Custom Paint 1st,2nd,3rd + 4th Gen" This is where you can get a Custom Paint & Body Shop to sponser you. ( NO Technical Classes)
10) Judging... very important... use only ladies to judge because :guys have egos and its "visual" judging. Guys don't argue with chicks. Would you??
11) Rain contingency? Covered area?
12) Washrooms, enough? Pot-o-poties??
13) Garbage bins (one person's job to always watch)
14) Food?? Arrange for Hot Dog vendor. (1 job)
15) Give aways.... not all sponsors give $$ ... Key chains, magazines, stickers, pens etc....( Goody Bag for entrants??)
16) AGENDA: whats happening & when (Fri, Sat, Sun?). Print , photocopy & distribute to all...
17) RULES... (in the Agenda) code of conduct, drinking, drugs, swearing, misbehavior, tire squeeling.... what are the expactations.... consequences??
18) Cruise, a MUST do. Because everyone wants to show off their cars, right?? Delegate someone to plan out a scenic route, create map ( add to Agenda ).
19) Overnight security. 2-3 guys to do this.
20) Motels... arrange for local discount(s). Provide phone #s to pre-book. (June is wedding month remember) Many don't camp.
21) "For Sale" corral/section. Area to sell stuff/cars/parts.
22) Revise plans (in March?) determine # cars/people and adjust expectations/plans accordingly
23) Keep a head count as well as a car count.
24) "Reminder List" for entrants: bring drinks, sunscreen, canopy, $, tools etc..
25) Make SIGNS.... for the show.... for the roads. (1 job)
26) PLACARD all your local speed shops/dealers/parts outlets with mention of your gathering. Start soon !!
27) ADVERTISE...word of mouth...be creative...you have no budget
28) BOOKLET... make the agenda a booklet. Certainly there are guys on the board who've put together a Newsletter style handout before. You can also list sponsors here for more exposure.

These are only a few ideas of many I jotted down for you.
Create your own list...make a plan...get help.

Mark, I sincerely want you to succeed. Remember this is a huge undertaking and you have school obligations. Get folks to help. Don't do everything I mentioned above if not feasable. But also don't forget peoples perception of "value". You can't "rent" a field and call it a gathering and expect folks to have a great time.
If I drive 8hrs each way, I will expect this gathering to be "happening", as they say. If it isn't , I won't be back.

Merry Christmas Mark.

Pacer

PS...Maybe Santa can help you after he's finished this week?
Good Luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Pacer very well said. if i did not know any beter i would say you have helped in a show or two

that covers a good portion of them for sure.

also if you are planing to make this an anual thing. dont be afraid to carry over some of the money colleted for operating cost for the next year. so you can book things and not have to break legs to get it right away

Last edited by trigger GTA; 12-23-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:51 PM

Trigger GTA:

Yup, many years. Notice my Avatar (if you can make it out).

Pacer
Old 12-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Pacer
Trigger GTA:

Yup, many years. Notice my Avatar (if you can make it out).

Pacer
hahaha now that you mention it.

yes
Old 12-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Thanks Pacer and Trigger, I'm well on my way to have most of those things on the check list done.

One thing though, I'd like to limit the other's help, only b/c I talked to the guy that did the '99 gathering in OK, and he had a lot that didn't show up.

But , things are coming along, a little slow right this minute, holidays, college out, working again, but I'll get back on track soon enough.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Ummm OK now????? Well Ron, your hired!! You can be Mr. Ordganizer. and I will be Mr. Founder