TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 tpi 305 injectors not pulsing bought car with no dizzy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: Auto
86 tpi 305 injectors not pulsing bought car with no dizzy

My camaro came complete less a distributor. I saw no wires for an external coil like on my 88 so I knew I needed integral coil type. No part stores in south central la including the dealer could find a distributor with the big dangley four prong connector. I found one on rock auto with a 7-8 pin module and electric spark timing assuming it would work cuz it had my connector type but I had to cut the cars connector to get it to fit right but my injectors have 12 volts on both wire teminals when the key is on so im assuming its the 4 pin module distributor with the same lookin connector which probably would not have required any custom cutting up my cars connectors.

Does anyone know the distributors im talking about with the four wire connector? Do they really tell my injectors to pulse til 300 rpm? How do I know what distributor I need without the old one? Msd doesnt even make it

Does the fuel pump relay control anything other than the fuel pump? Cuz I just put it on a switch cuz I was only getting 8.5 volts and I just need the car to get home to mn fast. Sorry if this is confusing

Thank you for any help with these distributors or electronic timing and I put this distributor in just like I would any 305/350? Tdc on compression stroke on number one then drop it in and put the rotor at number one on the cap then just wire accordinly to the firing order? And I cant even adjust timing by spinning the distributor? I wish I knew for sure what distributor I should ve ordrring from canada and that it will cause my injector wires to all be hot key on if my dizzy is wrong... Aaaa sorry for being grammatically impaired it doesnt help im typing this on my phone

Thanks again please help
Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 AM

Re: 86 tpi 305 injectors not pulsing bought car with no dizzy

P.s. I know nothing of modules or electronic spark timing or any of what I said really I found it all out slowly by searching forums so I just thought the injectors would know what to do but something is causing 12 volts to all my injector wires with the key on... Or is that normal? What if it does that while cranking too?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 98 Vortec 350 LT1 Cam w/ TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3:27

The "AUTOLINE Part # D2085" on rock auto is the distributor you want. it has two sets of wires coming out of it. One goes to the cap like any other HEI and the other is the computer control harness with 4 wires in it. The module is a 7 pin.

You could also get a small cap HEI with external coil and convert the wiring over. Both distributors do the same thing just one has internal coil and one does not.

And as far as injector pulse they should not fire unless the computer sees a tach signal from the distributor.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Man I got that one I had to cut the connector to make the notches and slots line up and my injectors still no pulse and both wires hot with key on on all 8 injectors..... Im hoping its the other one on rock auto I wish I knew for sure tho
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM

What is the difference between the autoline d2085 and the autoline d2104 on rock auto the 2085 has the 7-8 pin module and electronic spark timing and the d2104 doesnt really have a good description but it says 4 pin module and est I think.. How do I know if I need est vacuum or mechanical timing dizzy? I cant get the old one to look at.. That would be too easy.. Also what is the difference between the 7-8 pin module and the 4 pin module? How can I tell which one I need for sure? There arent any pics for the ac delco ones on rock auto but I would assume its wrong cuz the dealer couldnt find one...

Tried the 2085 cut the connector cuz it was really close cept for the notch and slot didnt line up..
The car has the bigger four tube prong connector with a slot on top of the right tube and a slot on the outer side of the left tube if that makes any sense... The 2085 was made for slots on top of the right and left tubes not the side of the left one... Aaa ill try to get pics up but I need this thing out of south central asap and I cant tow it cuz I should be able to handle a chevy distributor!

Please help if you know anything about these ignition control modules and these big distributor four pring connectors crazy icms.. Or should either one work and I have a different issue? I do have the starter and fuel pump on temporary ran switches to get it crankin with full fuel pressure at the rail but no injection..

Please help and sorry again for typing this poorly on my cell phone trapped in an rv in south central with a camaro that hates me

Haha thank you for anyone who replys!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by Irockirocs
How do I know if I need est vacuum or mechanical timing dizzy? How can I tell which one I need for sure?
Neither ; if your dist has either of those it is wrong one.

Computer controlled car have all spark controlled by the computer ; , no vac or mech advance
As noted correct dist has seperate 4 wire connector from the base as well as regular connection to the cap

Look for a HEI dist listed as for a TPI corvette ; 85 - 91 ( large cap HEI computer controlled )

Much cheaper to swap to the small cap / remote coil dist like late F-Body

Last edited by vetteoz; 06-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 AM

What about rockauto.com has the autoline d2104 would that work? It looks the same as the d2085 but I got that one and the notchea in the weather pack connector didnt match up... Cant believe this is a thing..
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Cuz those ones are half the price... And im nearly out of dollars
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Irockirocs
Cuz those ones are half the price... And im nearly out of dollars...
I have one complete if you want it, just pulled it out of my 85/86 TPI engine...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM

I got the 2104 on the way the 2085 im beginning to think maybe I got bad wiring to the computer from the distributor or bad grounds or a bad computer. What does my computer need to see to fire my injectors?