Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Bunches of 700R4 concerns, give me some input!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Bunches of 700R4 concerns, give me some input!

I have a 700R4 in my car. For the most part it seems to work good, however some things just dont seem right. Please bare with me!

1. Shifting into 2nd. While gradually accelerating down my small court it seems to hang in first for too long. I mean, I am barely putting along and it just seems like it should be shifting sooner. When it does its a real relief, even though the engine is basically idling I can really feel the surge in acceleration when it shifts into second.

2. Strange noise when shifter is in "1". When I shift from park all the way down to 1 and start to take off I hear a unusual constant noise coming from the transmission with the shifter in 1. It sounds like crumpling paper, like my transmission is shredding paper in 1st gear. It doesnt do it in 1st gear when I have it in the standard OD position, but it does with the shifter in 1.

3. Strange knock when going into gear. It seems to be coming from the area of the flywheel. I have replaced the torque arm bushing (UGH) and the torque converter bolts are not loose. I havent "torqued them to spec" with a torque wrench, but they certainly arent loose. It used to make all kinds of banging and clattering when going into gear, but I have since replaced the Tranny mount, torque arm mount, and added spohn SFC. All the other "clatter" noise has gone away and this has made my knocking noise all the more crisp and clear. All I can really think now is that it is coming from inside the transmission. I also, for some reason, hear the same knock RARELY on a 2-3 upshift usually, only happens when I am rapidly accelerating with lots of throttle through the gears.

4. Leaks slightly from the cooling lines where they go into the trans. Not too bad, just drips when hot then stops a few minutes after the engine is shut off. Not much can be done I guess, is it worth trying to tighten the lines a tad to maybe seat the fittings? Or should I just leave it? Its really making a mess under my car.

5. "Gutless" 2-3 upshift. Doesnt happen all the time. I'll explain it the best I can. Think about shifting a manual at WOT. You get thrown foward in your seat while power is disengaged because acceleration is paused, then pressed back into your seat as power is applied again in the next gear. My 1-2 shift is firm, I can really feel it quickly disengage then slam into second gear putting my butt in the seat. However when I reach the top of second gear I can feel it disengage, and I guess it shifts into third, but it just seems to barely make it and I get absolutely no feeling of 3rd gear actually engaging. I know it does because I can eventually get up into OD however it is just lacking. It feels like I am taking my foot completely off the gas pedal right when its supposed to hit third and just starts coasting. And also when in overdrive and I put my foot in it to pass when it kicks down to third gear it just....sucks...no other way to describe it. Slow. This could be my engine and its abysmal state of tune though.

Fluid is right on the money, and it smells nice and sweet. I have a filter kit ready, should I go ahead and change the fluid and the filter? Help with any of these things at all would be great.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Darkshot; 07-16-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

TTT
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 406 CI
Transmission: Pete K 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:55
Any time that you have shift quality and/or shift timing issues, suspect a tv related problem. Check it for free travel and adjust it , then test drive it. If it is still goofy, put a guage on it and read the pressures.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 07-22-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
I agree with the TV cable issue.

FIRST thing would be to set it (have you done that?) and if that doesn't work, have a tranny shop take a look at it.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, well I'm out of town and I would like to chip away at these issues as soon as I get home. Thanks for the TV input, I'll check that out, but what about problems 2, 3, and 4? Should I change he fluid? Anybody?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Car: Camaro
Engine: 2.8L MPFI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock round ones
I did
I found the filter to be loose no rubber Grommet
who ever did it before(new to me) didnt check to see if the seal was on the filter!!!!!
Now I will replace the rear seal and pilot bushing and I will check the lines
Dur I hope it is there and not the front seal since it is new so to speak that would mean an overhaul since wobble would destroy the new seal AHHH So much fun
Old 08-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

2. Strange noise when shifter is in "1". When I shift from park all the way down to 1 and start to take off I hear a unusual constant noise coming from the transmission with the shifter in 1. It sounds like crumpling paper, like my transmission is shredding paper in 1st gear. It doesnt do it in 1st gear when I have it in the standard OD position, but it does with the shifter in 1.

3. Strange knock when going into gear. It seems to be coming from the area of the flywheel. I have replaced the torque arm bushing (UGH) and the torque converter bolts are not loose. I havent "torqued them to spec" with a torque wrench, but they certainly arent loose. It used to make all kinds of banging and clattering when going into gear, but I have since replaced the Tranny mount, torque arm mount, and added spohn SFC. All the other "clatter" noise has gone away and this has made my knocking noise all the more crisp and clear. All I can really think now is that it is coming from inside the transmission. I also, for some reason, hear the same knock RARELY on a 2-3 upshift usually, only happens when I am rapidly accelerating with lots of throttle through the gears.

4. Leaks slightly from the cooling lines where they go into the trans. Not too bad, just drips when hot then stops a few minutes after the engine is shut off. Not much can be done I guess, is it worth trying to tighten the lines a tad to maybe seat the fittings? Or should I just leave it? Its really making a mess under my car.