Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T-56 upgrade opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:37 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 92 CAMARO RALLY SPORT
Engine: 383 sbc w/250 shot of nitrous
Transmission: AMERICAN POWERTRAIN- EXTREME TKX
Axle/Gears: STRANGE ENG. 12 BOLT 3:90 SPOOL
T-56 upgrade opinions

I am installing very healthy 383 sbc in my 92 rs 500 plus horse power with a 250 shot nitrous power adder... this is a drag race only for fun on the weekends setup... Current G force built T-5 not going to handle what I am doing obviously
I got what I believe to be a good deal on a stock T56 out a 97 camaro .. was planning to upgrade T-56 however I am told that the T-56 even with the viper output-shaft upgrade will never handle a 4000 + rpm launch and 7500 rpm power shifts !

So the question is should I build up the used T56 or dump it and go a different direction what would You do ?? I want to stay with a manual Transmission no autos for me
Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: T-56 upgrade opinions

If you're only drag racing, and it sounds like you have quite the budget, go with something for the application. Like a Lenco or a Jerico
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s

I wouldn't waist money on that T56, put it forward into something better that you will be able to beat on. T56 Magnum might fill the bill. In what gear are you planning to start using the 250 shot, or is that out of the hole?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

The mainshaft upgrade to 30 spline is good for your ~700 hp build.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep that T5, spend money on a clutch and an adjustable "hit" controller to dial in the hit. You are likely going to need a new clutch anyway, why spend all that extra money on a heavy transmission with double overdrive gears that you won't need for your weekend drag car. Something like a Ram Powergrip HD with a steel flywheel can deliver results without breaking the bank.

With a 250 shot, you are going to need a clutch that can hold around 800ftlbs. A G-Force T5 can handle that, but it will have a problem with the hit of an overkill clutch. Another problem is a clutch that can hold 800ftlbs is going to be way too much clutch for your 383 when you are not spraying. That creates a bog/spin problem. The clutch hit controller fixes both of those problems. You will be able to install an overkill clutch and dead hook a 7500 launch while spraying out of the hole without breaking the T5. Then if you decide to make a pass without the spray, the adjustable clutch hit controller then allows you to dial back the hit of the clutch to eliminate the bog.

Grant
Old 12-24-2018, 08:58 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 92 CAMARO RALLY SPORT
Engine: 383 sbc w/250 shot of nitrous
Transmission: AMERICAN POWERTRAIN- EXTREME TKX
Axle/Gears: STRANGE ENG. 12 BOLT 3:90 SPOOL

Originally Posted by Granny
Keep that T5, spend money on a clutch and an adjustable "hit" controller to dial in the hit. You are likely going to need a new clutch anyway, why spend all that extra money on a heavy transmission with double overdrive gears that you won't need for your weekend drag car. Something like a Ram Powergrip HD with a steel flywheel can deliver results without breaking the bank.

With a 250 shot, you are going to need a clutch that can hold around 800ftlbs. A G-Force T5 can handle that, but it will have a problem with the hit of an overkill clutch. Another problem is a clutch that can hold 800ftlbs is going to be way too much clutch for your 383 when you are not spraying. That creates a bog/spin problem. The clutch hit controller fixes both of those problems. You will be able to install an overkill clutch and dead hook a 7500 launch while spraying out of the hole without breaking the T5. Then if you decide to make a pass without the spray, the adjustable clutch hit controller then allows you to dial back the hit of the clutch to eliminate the bog.

Grant

That makes a lot of sense no reason to throw money at it just because !! I will be running a ACT 11 inch six puck racing clutch & ultralight flywheel the G force T5 has a Lakewood scatter shield on it.
The Nitrous is a simple Plate system adj-100-250 shot

I have never set up a hit controller however there are several out there the Magnus set up is nice I know someone who runs that on a C-6 Vette .. have experience with the clutch tamer seems very simple and strait forward ?? CG

Last edited by MY-92-RS; 12-24-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:14 PM

The Magnus will do a good job of softening the hit, but it gives up some reaction time when compared to the 'tamer. Both use an orifice/check valve arrangement to slow clutch engagement, but the 'tamer allows a nice crisp controlled amount of hit to get things moving before that engagement delay actually starts.

In your situation of spraying with a T5, I would suggest adding a simple timed delay to the hit of your nitrous. The reason is that when you dump the clutch and dead hook, your rotating assy is going to shed some inertia energy until the car gains enough speed to sync up with engine rpm. The hit controller will control the rate of inertia release, but you want the nitrous to pick up where that inertia release ends, with the goal of a smooth/seamless transition from inertia hit to nitrous hit that will keep the tires planted and the chassis loaded.

Grant

Last edited by Granny; 12-25-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s

I realize how important clutch control off the line is and I find these ideas intriguing. Not sure where I stand in clutch wear versus reliability aspect, as I like to build in a little extra girth so you can beat on it without worry of exploding. If wear was the same, seems these devices would only be an advantage.

The concept of the hit adjustment on the clutch tamer seems to me like the right answer to preventing control of undesireable movement, yet providing control upon the crucial clutch engagement, great idea. However I don’t like the idea of delaying clutch acton in taller gears. When the 4th gens came out, GM had the great idea of “softening” the hit of the LS1 by installing on orifice in the T56 master cylinder, thus the infamous ”drill mod”. When I switched that modified master for an aftemarket version, it changed my theory that grinding gears occasionally happens.

Interested to see where the hydraulic version is going. If combined with the “hit control” of the screen door dampener and the ability to override the taller gears, I’m in.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by HP52TA
I realize how important clutch control off the line is and I find these ideas intriguing. Not sure where I stand in clutch wear versus reliability aspect, as I like to build in a little extra girth so you can beat on it without worry of exploding. If wear was the same, seems these devices would only be an advantage.

The concept of the hit adjustment on the clutch tamer seems to me like the right answer to preventing control of undesireable movement, yet providing control upon the crucial clutch engagement, great idea. However I don’t like the idea of delaying clutch acton in taller gears. When the 4th gens came out, GM had the great idea of “softening” the hit of the LS1 by installing on orifice in the T56 master cylinder, thus the infamous ”drill mod”. When I switched that modified master for an aftemarket version, it changed my theory that grinding gears occasionally happens.

Interested to see where the hydraulic version is going. If combined with the “hit control” of the screen door dampener and the ability to override the taller gears, I’m in.

The difference between the 'tamer and the other hit controllers is that the 'tamer allows the clutch to hit before the delay starts. That's also what makes the delay work after wot shifts as well as after launch. Without that hit before the delay you get a huge rpm flare after a wot shift using the clutch pedal that unnecessarily interrupts the flow of power, and the clutch gets extra abuse because of it.

The 'tamer hits just as hard after the shifts as it does after launch. And it does that instantly without any delay. With the others, their designs all delay the hit after the shift unless the controller is bypassed. They delay on launch as well, the only reason they even sort of work on launch is because the driver has the ability to "pre-load" the drivetrain prior to launch to minimize that delay. But when you shift, you don't have the ability to pre-load because the clutch needs more travel to make a clean shift. They HAVE to bypass the controller on the shifts, otherwise they suffer the hit delay which slips the clutch excessively and slows the car down.

Grant