Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Auto to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to Manual

I have a 92 Rs 305 tbi and i want to make it a 5spd manual.

People have told me to buy a different car, cuz it is impossible.
But i will never get rid of this car.

Any tips on how i would go about doing this?
Or any info on how i would do it?
Attached Thumbnails Auto to Manual-mycar2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2002, 11:27 AM

Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
I've done this to my 89 and it was far from impossible. I don't know of any difference that would make this harder to do on a TBI 305 car than it was to do to a TPI 350. Plenty of people on this board have done this swap.

I am assuming you know have a 700R4 automatic. You would need a tranny, bellhousing and clutch obviously. If using a T-5, the tranny and bellhousing would need to come from an F body due to the bellhousing rotating the tranny a bit and the tranny having mounts for the torque arm. Also needed are pedals from a 3rd get 5spd, clutch master and slave cylinder, shifter, console plate for 5spd, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, flywheel, ect. I believe someone has posted instructions on this previously.

I installed a WC T-5 behind a 350 (with plenty of mods) and have had no problems yet. Granted I'm careful on the shifts and my initial takeoff. 6 spd is also an option but a bit more involved from what I've read. Never done one so I cannot say from experience.

If you are willing to try, good luck.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:40 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 1986 350
Transmission: T-5 NWC
dear chitown, people who told you that (change car) are just displaying a total ignorance on the subject, it's like me saying that going to the moon is impossible (of course i'd say something stupid like that, i ain't no rocket scintist) please THIS IS NO INSULT INTENDED TO NOBODY.
your idea is a good one and the job is the most straightforward you'll do, takes only the parts, the time and the patience to do it.
your car is a real nice machine, KEEP IT.
many people have done it and you'll find here lots of third gen brothers who will be happy to give you the hints, including yours trully.
good luck.
Fernando.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey dude, Im going to be doing the swap here pretty soon myself, I was going to build up my 700R4 but I got such a good deal on EVERYTHING I would need to swap over I figured why not?

I think your best bet is going to be using this: Auto to Manual Tech Article

That is pretty much what I am going to use when I do mine. Good luck!

-Roshambo
Old 01-20-2002, 02:57 PM

See this:

https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/t...nualswap.shtml

I did a swap in an '85 IROC with 305 in '85 before all this info was readily available and it wasn't that hard. Points of importance:

You will need to cut a hole in the tranny tunnel for the shifter, the size of which is just less than the boot. Easiest if you can measure a T-5 equipped third gen for comparison.

Do not even think about using the stock shifter. It sucks.

DO NOT forget to install the braces that go from the clutch master cylinder mounting bolt up to the bolt that runs through the clutch brake pedals and on which they pivot. This is essential.

In my '85 the holes for the master cylinder were cutout in the sound damping material under the carpet and this made it easier to locate where the holes needed to be drilled in the firewall. Haven't looked to see if this is the case on my '88. Probably will be doing this to my '88 in the near future. The fact that I have done this before and and not even slightly reluctant to do it again should be your best indication that it isn't that bad. Doing it to a '77 'Vette on the other hand is not something I wish to repeat.

Note what kind of gearing was in the car the new xmission came from - you may need to give some thought to the speedo gears in the tranny. If you have to change the one on the output shaft, you will need to pull the tailpiece off the tranny. Not a big deal, but not something you want to try after you've installed the tranny!

Do a search on the forums here on this subject - it has been discussed in great detail.

have fun :-).
Old 01-21-2002, 04:05 PM

Heh i did this swap aswell to my 85 iroc it was deffinatly fun make sure you have a new or good flywheel and clutch well thats my opinion i burnet my used one up in a month or so cause i dident want to get a new one ( stupid ) allso when they say its a good time to change your starter they really mean it the only problem i had when i did the swap is i dident have anywhere to plug in my powersaw.. i ended up running a extention cord from outside my house into the street it was quite amuseing .. other then that i abuse the hellllllll out of my tranny its a junk yard one .. i cant belive it takes a licken and keeps on ticken... summer project would be a 6 speed tho ... gooodd luck youl deffinalty enjoy it!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:13 AM

quick ques. about pedels got mine from a bird going in a 90 rs
i dont see a problem with the 2 braces but there was a 3rd
bolt mounted to the under side of the dash to a bracket
my car dont have that bracket do i need it
Old 01-24-2002, 12:01 PM

dear bob.
i think you are talking about the bracket that supports the switch that connects your clutch pedal to the starter, 'cause in manual camaros you won't be able to start until you press the clutch, it's done only as a safety device, so you won't be starting with the car "engaged" and therefore cause an accident.
you could just forget it if you get into some good "pre-fight" before moving the ignition key, such as IS IT IN NEUTRAL???.
then you wont need it.
Fernando.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:42 PM

A lot of people prefer not to have the "clutch interlock" for the starter since starting the car with the clutch pedal depressed loads the thrust bearing on the crank without any oil pressure.
This of course does require MIG 29's "preflight", but that ought to be done anyway.

Incidentally, why the MIG 29 handle, MIG 29? It is one hell of a cool plane :-).
Old 01-25-2002, 02:50 AM

dear beast4.
thanks for your words about the mig, ít's just my favorite fighter, and the reason for using it is just because i'm an "airplane nuts"
about the switch yes anybody can live without, my point was just to remind our friend to be careful.
Fernando.