V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stalls

I've got a problem with my 87 V6 firebird (I'll just say that for simplicity). When speaking to hottie, it's my Trans Am

She starts but stalls immediatly.

This drivetrain ran fine when i pulled it out, wiring and all.

The shell i put it into ran fine before i gutted it.

The fan doesn't come on in diagnostic mode, I can now hear the IAC makin noises. It seemed a little too loud for a little stepper motor, so i took the one off the 86 engine that was in the 85, installed it and set the min air/tps the best i could. It's quieter than the other one. I was having problems setting the tps before when the engine was in the other car and thought it was the IAC, but didn't wanna spend the $90.

There's lots of vacuum.

Computer sets no codes.

messing with the min air screw make no difference, way in or way out.

There is spark/air/fuel until the car decides their shouldn't be.

I'm really burnt out from this last week Firebird fun.

I still gotta move the doors/fenders/hood/hatch, i don't have time to get hung up on something like this. The bodyshop expects my car Monday.

Any Ideas? The advanced book i like to use to trouble shoot theses things is gone and chilton left me at check the ignition. But what exactly on the ignition, i have no clue.

and on another note, does anyone know offhand howmany/what size of starter shims they use. I tooke the starter off the other engine, used the shims that were on it. The starter didn't engage or got stuck. I used one from my old starter, still, used all shims from all cars. now it engages 95% of the time and never gets stuck, but i still hear bad "starter gear hitting the flex plate wrong" noises.

now to find my keys... get a slurpee, take two steps back and wait for inspiration.

Help
Old 06-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Okay let me work past the fact that I am really confused as to what you actually have. Anyway, my 86 camaro was doing the same thing and it turned out that my injectors were bad due to poor storage conditions for the motor (oil ate up the tips). After replacing them, she fired up and ran good. Another guy I know had a similar problem with his 86 Z. His computer was bad but the computer would spit out a ton of codes. How are the spark plugs wires cap rotor etc? Is it due for a tune up or did this happen suddenly?
Old 06-25-2002, 06:38 PM

To add to the confusion; There is no simple way to explain what I'm up to.

I have an 1985, I am finishing putting the engine in from my 1983 which I put an engine from an 1987 into. I plan to reuse the $6000 worth of engine/tranny rebuilds, all new brakes, suspension, bolts, column ...everything. That car (rebuilt 1983) didn't even make it to it's first oil change. alot of premium interior parts made it into my 1983, it is/was mint.

So I can say that I am putting a drivetrain in from a salavged 1987 (running, smashed front, july 2001, $350) into a 1985 (registered and insured, was running, drivetrain now in backyard, march 2002, $500). Which just happened to be in a 1983 that i rebuilt last summer (Total cost; $6000, 200 hours, stolen, paid out $4000, bought back $325, Feb 2002).

The 1987 was been recycled long ago. It was a Quebec car and it almost caved from rust when I jacked it up, even though it only had 150k km.

The 1983 is my driveway, looking smashed and engineless. Ounce i have this car running i can take the doors, fenders, hatch (from 1987, the 83 hatch didn't make it) , all weather stripping from the 1983 and put it on my 1985. Then transfer the front end this weekend. Then send it away to be painted.

Okay;

back to the issue at hand;

I don't think injectors could have gone bad. But I did have it in storage for two months. But it fired right up and i drove it 30km on Friday, it had ***** too. I did put stuff in the gas before storage.

I am in the process of changing the sereiously rusted fuel filter in the 1985. The fuel tank, fuel lines are about the only thing i didn't transfer from the 1983. But the 1985 ran fine with it's original engine when i drove it home from 100km out of town, two months ago.

Discount what i said about the distributor, I ruled that out.

cap/coil/rotor/module/pickup/wires/plugs are still almost brand new.

I can picture the computer going bad somewhere in the harness swap. I have the computer from the 1985. I would like to find a way to diagnose that before i try it. Finding out why/if it was bad first might be good idea. Are these things that fragile that being slightly shaken around could damage it?.

I am now looking for diagnostic tips on how figuire out if the injectors are getting the signal the fire. I have a voltmeter, no diagrams, no clue. hey I wonder if it'll still even try to start if i deconect the cold start injector. hhmmmm

Somthing odd, when it starts for it's split second, the car seems to move forward slightly. It in park on the shifter and transmission.

Things were going so well, now I'm wasting time and putzing around. This was fun last summer, it's losing it's thrill, time to get a corvette...

Stay tuned.

I bet the solution will be so simple it'll hurt.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:44 PM

oh hey, mdv6man. i see in your sig you mention a 1970 GTO.

I happen to have cheap access to all the parts to change a 1974 Nova into a GTO.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: 4l60e
that's one confusing story, but i think i got it

i don't know what your problem is...

Sounds like a lot of work, yeah, that sounds like fun really how many four letter words have you came up with yet ?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Originally posted by Shadey_MF
oh hey, mdv6man. i see in your sig you mention a 1970 GTO.

I happen to have cheap access to all the parts to change a 1974 Nova into a GTO.
tell me more about them parts???
Old 06-25-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd rather go with a 74 ' Ventura, Much simpler
Old 06-25-2002, 09:43 PM

Still not running, but I know where abouts my problem is.

I'm f'n Crazy.

But besides that, I poked around with a test light. On the front and back injecter harness connectors, i seem to only have power on rear the pink wire (could be orange or red, it's beside the black, not the beside the yellow) in Start, nothing lights up in run. With the cold start injector disconected the car doesn't start and stall immediatly, it just spins.

Can anyone help with finding out which wires at the ecm connector i should test?

And what to do about it.

I have no wiring diagrams around. The big bible like book i use at the library is signed out.

Why would the ecm NOT tell the injectors to fire?

On the GTO thing; My buddy owned a 74 gto and some kids threw match inside it. He took everything off. I remember him and his brother argueing if the engine was rebuildable. It got left outside for a year. He wanted to sell me the ram air and shaker scoop, but i have no idea what it looks like or if i can adapt for anything.

What do you need? i can ask tommorow, if i ever make it out of my garage.

It's 9:00 PM time to drink a beer and stare at my project.

later.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:03 PM

So simple it hurts....

While randomly probeing ecm terminals. I seen some connectors and wondered if the could somehow be mixed up and what would happen if they were. There's is some sqaure connectors on the harness near thre ecm. One supplies power for your injectors. its white, and it sipposed to go to the other connector which is black. I had it white on white connected to an A/C connector, luckily i don't have A/C on this car and nothing got fried.

My fan was jammed. .:lala:

The car runs just great now. Happy to hear that $2000 engine with only 1500km on it purrrrr.

Now to put doors on.

Thanks anyhow, only i could have figured this out, not many go this far with their car.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Glad to hear its running man. Anyway, in 1974 pontiac moved the GTO option from the Lemans (A-body) to an option on the Ventura (X-body). My 1970 is an A-body so nothing would fit without modification. Plus if I brought anymore heaps home right now (until I sell my 85) my wife would kick my ***!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: 4l60e
Originally posted by Shadey_MF
So simple it hurts....
don't you hate it when that happens

My car was running bad for the last few days, couldn't figure out why, until I realized that it started on monday whne the "Code: Red" Air Temp started here in VA and was only running bad during the day. So I checked my coolant system and to my surprise I found out that it is contaiminated like ****! I have no idea how all that got in there, but i got it flushed and i will try to find some good cleaner or something to clean the system. My overflow tank is turning brown, i better replace that too...
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 PM

Car: would like to drive this 1987 iroc
Engine: 5.7 bored .030 over
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Engine stalls

good formin… can you help me out somehow with my tip lol
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6