V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

How bad is powerbraking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4
How bad is powerbraking?

All the V-8's seem to be able to do it no problem,I'm kind of afraid too.I cant imagine how horrible it is for the transmission and differential and drums.Is it really that bad?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87blueracr
Engine: u know them
Transmission: u got it
rips up the torque convertor and the brakes, not to mention the rear and tranny.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
well think about what a powerbrake is, your holding the breaks while doing a burnout. its severly bad for drivetrains and brakes and i've never do it
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

if you wanna spin em, switch to a manual, though then you gotta worry bout the clutch and rear end. tires get expensive too.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
i did one once before we sold my sisters 87 2.8 bird (automatic) the guy who was buying it was scraping the drivetrain and engine in favor of somthing els, just wanted the frame and body (etc...) it was fun.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 AM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 5.0 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
I do it all the time in my cutlass at work.........it's cooler seeing a big a$$ 4 door do it. when I had my bird runnin like 3 or4 monthes ago I tried and my tranny motor broke. so no reallly it ain't that good.........plus don't forget without a real good shift kit it stays in first and will redline
Old 07-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

IF you must
Go buy a line locker from an aftermarket place and go have some fun.
That kit locks the front wheels while doing warm up on tires.
ANd if ya do feel like doing a powerbrake, once in a great while is better than every traffic light, for sure!
But it will catch up to ya.....
Old 07-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73
i do 'em. it can be a bit scary to do until you get used to it and build a little faith in your drivetrain's strength.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by catchmeifyoucan
rips up the torque convertor and the brakes, not to mention the rear and tranny.
ok.

1. you obviously dont know jack about TQ converters.

2. the rear and tranny are seeing less force then when you're acclerating at WOT. you're far below their breaking point

if you wanna spin em, switch to a manual, though then you gotta worry bout the clutch and rear end. tires get expensive too.

oh, thats a fuggin GREAT idea [/sarcasm]

1. you're then shock loading the car. that IS harder on the trans, rear, ujoints and clutch.

2. you'll still be holding the brake just the same once their loose... unless you just want to go forward. lol

anyhoo, if you need to do them often for the track, get a line lock..
you do wear your rear brakes faster, and obviously wear down your tires... but it wont bust your rear (not enough power, plus its not shock loading), and it isnt really damaging to the car...

now if you do a 3min burnout, yes, you could heat up the trans alot.... theres no air keeping the radiator cool... but at that point, i think a bigger worry is your brakes lighting something on fire... lol or your tires popping

unless you're at a track, its a stupid thing to do... if you're at teh track, you're just doing it to heat up the tires, so no worries...
Old 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Ram express
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.55
Can the little v6 autos even spin the tires to make smoke like v8 cars?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM

Car: 86 Firebird 2.8
Engine: 2.8l v-6
with a mostly stock v-6 the backend will prbably start swerving where as the v-8s have enough power to keep the wheels spinning in one place. the 6 doesnt have enough power to prevent the wheels from getting any traction.

if you cant do a burn out without the breaks then whats the point unless ur gonna do a pass on the track and wanna warm up the tires. these cars(basically stock) wont spin the tires from a dead stop on a dry road. all ur gonna do is burn out ur brakes and eat up ur tires
Old 07-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
my car did them stock. dry road, 3.23 open rear, 235/60/15s it would spin the right rear without hitting the brakes.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

i have no problem getting both to spin, i just backup a lil before a burnout, and dump the clutch at around4, and voila both tires spin. i am not saying that that is not why my clutch blew, cause it prolly is, but the point is it has no problem smoking both 245/60/15's without the car moving one bit. now once i start feathering the gas on the rollout, that is a different story as the car always pulls to the pass. side. and launches like a rocket.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
that is so hard on the crank and clutch, *** it hurts my head just thinking about it
Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

i know but it works, and the crank is gettin replaced with a forged stainless one soon(custom) anyway, so as long as it don't frag the block, it is really no big problem til it happens then i cus for a hour straight as the car is getting towed back home.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
I don't know about hurting the crank.
Just don't slam the clutch, the crank is turning with less then 200ftlb of torque. It is cast iron and some what strong.
It will ware the clutch and breaks unless you have the line lock. If you have that then it will just ware you tires more .
The t-5 is a good trans, I did a lot of dumb stuff to mine and it is fine, the old as s 2.8 couldn't handle speeds over 6000rpm.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 AM

Car: 86 Firebird 2.8
Engine: 2.8l v-6
im talking about an auto tranny. dumpin the clutch at 4k would spin the tires in just about anything. its pretty stupid too cuz ur gonna(and obviously did) blow the clutch out. its pretty much the equivalent to powerbraking seeing as the only way u could really powerbrake a manual is to have three feet. unless u can move ur left foot from clutch to brake that fast.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member

i have no problem getting both to spin, i just backup a lil before a burnout, and dump the clutch at around4, and voila both tires spin. i am not saying that that is not why my clutch blew, cause it prolly is, but the point is it has no problem smoking both 245/60/15's without the car moving one bit. now once i start feathering the gas on the rollout, that is a different story as the car always pulls to the pass. side. and launches like a rocket.
oh thats a GREAT idea.. go backwards, stick it in 1st and dump the clutch... are you TRYING to break the car?

Originally posted by kretos
that is so hard on the crank and clutch, *** it hurts my head just thinking about it
wont hurt the crank... if you're going backwards like the moron above, the clutch wont be too happy... but just dumping it on a stock V6 isnt enough to cause slippage with street tires.
as long as your clutch isnt slipping, it isnt wearing.

i know but it works, and the crank is gettin replaced with a forged stainless one soon(custom) anyway, so as long as it don't frag the block, it is really no big problem til it happens then i cus for a hour straight as the car is getting towed back home.

you really are a full of ****.. wow. just noticed you're banned.... now if we got all the other people full of BS banned, only the people that know stuff and the people with questions would be left.... ahhhh wouldnt that be grand?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 86BLUEBIRD
im talking about an auto tranny. dumpin the clutch at 4k would spin the tires in just about anything. its pretty stupid too cuz ur gonna(and obviously did) blow the clutch out. its pretty much the equivalent to powerbraking seeing as the only way u could really powerbrake a manual is to have three feet. unless u can move ur left foot from clutch to brake that fast.
put your heel on the brake.
use your toes to press the gas.

work the clutch with your other foot.

thats how i do it.... its oppisate from most people though. most people:

put their toes on the brake
work the gas with their heel.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 PM

and somebody was wrong my v6 cutlass stays in one place and my buddies 72 camaro is all over the place if you let it when power brakein
Old 07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 281 Likes on 196 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31
Originally posted by 86BLUEBIRD
...unless u can move ur left foot from clutch to brake that fast.
"U" can. I do it every time I go to the track.

-Tom
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
when doing the old heel toe i am lucky, me wide *** feet can touch both pedals at the same time without beding my ankle in funny directions. that and the closeness of the gas and brake pedal in our cars

and as fore whoever said a 2.8 can't smoke the tires and stay in one place i totally did EXACTLY that in my sister 87 2.8 and that thing was a POS.

my 86 can not do burnouts right now cause the clutch is well on it's way out, i just smoke the clutch.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Car: 87 camaro(Temporary insanitee)
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: Non worldclass t-5
not backing up and throwing it in first while the car is still going backward(that is stupid), backing up about a foot, stoping then reving motor and dumping the clutch.

mrdude, i am surprised that with that pottymouth that you aren't banned, not to mention that you may have small feet, but some of us have rather large feet.

Shaun(87blueracr, catchmeifyoucan) isn't a bad guy, he actually knows his stuff, he knows the risks and is ready to accept them if his car breaks. on the same token, he doesn't care cause he got the money to fix it if it breaks(more like when)

Xopehrtony,
centerforce makes a good clutch for theese cars, i bought mine for around 350 for everything i needed, and it works well.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
When I get that damned nut out, and the oil return hooked back up, I'll show you guys that a V6 can burn out
Old 07-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Car: 87 camaro(Temporary insanitee)
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: Non worldclass t-5
not fair doward, you are forced induction. i may be soon too if i can get a link to a supercharger for the 3.1's

good luck on the nut, how is the rear end going?

Last edited by wildponies3; 07-28-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Originally posted by MrDude_1
put your heel on the brake.
use your toes to press the gas.

work the clutch with your other foot.
That is how I did it with the V6.

A new Clutch kit is cheaper then 2 rear tires.
Unless your rear tires are form the $10 tire place .
Old 07-29-2005, 09:45 PM

Car: 89 Firebird, 92 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI, 355 TPI
Transmission: t-5, t-5
Axle/Gears: open 3.42, posi 3.42
Unless your rear tires are form the $10 tire place .
hehe, burnout tires.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:02 PM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6 soon to be gone
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic soon to be a T56
Originally posted by MrDude_1

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok.

1. you obviously dont know jack about TQ converters.

2. the rear and tranny are seeing less force then when you're acclerating at WOT. you're far below their breaking point

quote:

oh, thats a fuggin GREAT idea [/sarcasm]

1. you're then shock loading the car. that IS harder on the trans, rear, ujoints and clutch.

2. you'll still be holding the brake just the same once their loose... unless you just want to go forward. lol

anyhoo, if you need to do them often for the track, get a line lock..
you do wear your rear brakes faster, and obviously wear down your tires... but it wont bust your rear (not enough power, plus its not shock loading), and it isnt really damaging to the car...

now if you do a 3min burnout, yes, you could heat up the trans alot.... theres no air keeping the radiator cool... but at that point, i think a bigger worry is your brakes lighting something on fire... lol or your tires popping

unless you're at a track, its a stupid thing to do... if you're at teh track, you're just doing it to heat up the tires, so no worries...
Agreed.

And where I come from, they call it a brake stand. Same thing right?

Last edited by AdmAnt13; 07-30-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:02 PM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6 soon to be gone
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic soon to be a T56
sorry for double post
Old 07-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Tom 400 CFI
"U" can. I do it every time I go to the track.

-Tom
yea, but its really hard for lower powered cars to do it that way, since they sometimes GO instead of breaking loose... thats why i suggested the heel/toe

Originally posted by wildponies3

mrdude, i am surprised that with that pottymouth that you aren't banned, not to mention that you may have small feet, but some of us have rather large feet.
i have large, wide feet myself... makes it easier.
i think the reason im here is that while i have no problem telling someone their a lying idiot, im not one myself... that, and i generally dont continue commenting about previous things past the inital thread.
so while "catchmeifyoucan" posted up stupid crap in this thread, i wont automatically brand him a idiot in the next thread... heck, if he posts something true that i agree with, i might quote him and agree..
as for my choice of words... they're just as i would say in real life. most car guys dont have a problem. those that do can just shake their heads, or whatever else they would do.... a quick rhetorical question that you dont have to answer (no sense continuing this further): do you honestly feel that calling me a pottymouth will change my lingual habits?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
i do them all the time

most v6's are open diff, one wheel peel so no worries about car sliding all over the place.

only problem i had is getting lumps in my tire.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:49 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 Lt
Transmission: 5 Spd
I just did one the other day and will show you pics of the road. My car is almost stock too. I dropped the clutch at 2000rpm and when they spun I hit the brake and gave it more gas. Sat there spinning then let of the brake slowly and went side to side. Even when I went off the brake completely the tires smoked for like 15 secs amd they were sticky. 255/60/r16. With the drag radails I had they would spin then hook up hard and lift the front up a bit
Old 07-30-2005, 11:59 PM

ya to make it easier ya could always bump the tire pressure up to like 50.......for the 275/60/15's on my bird and cutlass when I put 35 they break easy...to get good wear on them I need to run between 25 and 28 psi cause they SO big rides alot better with a lil lower pressure.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Car: 89 RS Camaro
Engine: 2.8 TPI
Burn outs are fun. One wheel wonders that our V-6 rear-ends are though. I can get mine to light up on dry pavement but not at a dead stop. Do 25-20, cut the wheel hard and punch it! You'll smoke through a 180 and can slowly get on the brakes and hold it there smoking the back tire(s). (Do this in an empty parking lot) Otherwise the only wheel spin I get is with a little sand or wetness to the ground. Haven't broken anything major. But I don't do it all the time either.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
mine will do it from a dead stop

sometimes i get both of them to go when im in reverse
Old 08-10-2005, 02:36 PM

Mine will spin both in reverse also, but not going forward unless it's sandy or wet on the ground. Don't know why. Flip over the rear-end and see if it'll get Posi now. LOL
Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM

when my car was running with the auto(major tranny problems + fat tires in the back), even launching off the converter i could only get them to even chirp(without turning off course) on cement or if it was wet. in reverse however, a bit different story . . . i think partly because of weight transfer off the rear wheels, and partly because my foreward clutch packs were totally shot(went out completely like 5 weeks later). my car was so horribly sluggish with the auto(can you say 0-60 in 13+ seconds? -- slower than my gmc 2500 longbed with a tired 160k mile 350), that i am really looking forward to the t-5/newmaf/novacuumleak trio. should be much better.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:07 PM

Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6..stock exept v8 intake
I've powerbraked many of times. One thing I don't like is that since i do have a posi rear end the *** end has a tendancy to slide to the left while im doing it. I accually couldn't find the way out of my garage once. 3.1's have some decent torque but they suck *** on the road. There slow and even mini vans can outrun them. But a minivan cant smoke em like a camaro
Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM

minivans are beasts though. i occasionally drive an 02 f*rd minivan with a 235hp v6 in it, if that thing had a better tranny it would haul some major ***(it already does decent with a soccermom A4). i think with a 5speed i could have beat my friends 00 v6 stang(he's a horrible driver). ive driven that thing, and while it is faster than the van, not by a whole lot.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
My moms 94 town and country hauls *** for a minivan.. i can get it to do little front wheel drive burn outs lol.

Seriously though, a brake stand won't hurt your car unless you're doing it excessively. I do it 10+ times every time i go to the track.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 AM

Front wheel drive burnouts come easy in my 99' Cavalier. Just get the back tires up to a speed bump, pull up the E-Brake, and get on it. It'll chirp on dry pavement from a dead stop. But reverse donuts are that cars glory for laying down rubber and smoking. Hey Naft what type of tranny did you have before it dropped on you? And are you changing the rear-end gear with the tranny swap?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:35 AM

i had a 700r4 with 3.42s, and since the tranny im getting is configured for 3.23s, im just gonna stick with what ive got. its not like i follow the speed limits within +/-10 mph anyways. well, just + i guess.

yah, the minivan can burnout if you try hard enough. my friend's 93 accord would smoke em up good if he turned the wheel back and forth. ive seen an old sentra burnout for a good 30 seconds with the e-brake trick, although he still crept forward like 15 feet. those were some nice tire marks, ill say that much.

and the speed limiter in the van is pretty much the only reason im still alive . . . that things pulls so hard to 119(for a minivan), im pretty sure it would top out around 140. and since i live out here in the country, there are a lot of 2 lane roads that i do 110 around 50 mph corners

Last edited by Naft; 08-11-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:13 PM

That's funny. I'm in the city of Tampa, there's some rural places to go and hual around at though. I get back at people for tailgatting especially when it's running rough and gets the hiccups. I'll first put it in neutral and rev the engine a little to try and get the idle to kick back down (or some times just to keep it running all together), then i put it back in gear, stay on the brake and slowly climb the gas with about 10 seconds left till the light turns green. Once it's green I'm gone, but they're all honking their horns and can't see or breath. Makes me smile
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM

sorry but the best power brakes are when ya leave a c mark behind......eos
Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Car: 1991 Black Z28 G92
Engine: 350 for now
Transmission: wc t5
Axle/Gears: factory 3:42
Re: How bad is powerbraking?

F it. you only live once, powerbrake the h_ll out of it. the girls love it.
i have a 5 speed and i don't powerbrake but I will go from a 1st gear roll stomp tha gas and doughnuts here we go or turn the wheel oppisite direction as the rearend and go in a straight line sideways. dang now i'm gonna want to light'em up all the way home lol
Old 03-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 91greenbird
Can the little v6 autos even spin the tires to make smoke like v8 cars?

nahhhhh ))

this is after i power braked and let off in my 3.1L 1990 T Top Camaro

i have a vid somewhere of a really good powerbrake a burnouts ill try and get them

Name:  BURNOUT90camaro.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  18.4 KB
Name:  newcowlhood90Camaro.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  42.6 KB

and cant hurt your rear BS! in my 85 iroc from a dead stop no power brake if u floor it it spins and goes sideways down teh street, the 3rd time i did it i blew the rear. yea not good

and as fara s manual? i have a 1989 Z24 2.8L 5 speed bored and stroked with a decent cam, everyoen downs it cuz its a "cavalier" no its a z24 get it right, so iv down more then a few clutch drops in it to do burnouts, hav yet to hurt a clutch or anything

but in my 88 S10 i reved it and droped the clutch and blew apart the clutch and bellhousing and tore up the u joints....

Last edited by Blue1990camaro; 03-16-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM

you can also do like i used to do in my 88 s10 (beater truck got for $300 didnt care tore it up then ended up buidling it hahaha) anyway

rev it to around 4k rpms, hav the tip of ur toes on teh clutch, rev it slip off and slamn on the brakes as hard as u can and keep it floor, would smoke so easily lil 2.5s wer ebastly, its TRUE you CANT kill an iron duke 2.5
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by lunaticinaZ
F it. you only live once, powerbrake the h_ll out of it. the girls love it.
i have a 5 speed and i don't powerbrake but I will go from a 1st gear roll stomp tha gas and doughnuts here we go or turn the wheel oppisite direction as the rearend and go in a straight line sideways. dang now i'm gonna want to light'em up all the way home lol

exactly! damn now i wana go do it in mine
Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: 3.70

You guys do realize this thread is from 2005 right?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mgb86
You guys do realize this thread is from 2005 right?

rofl, no i didnt, i saw it pop up in "new threads" and i was on teh day b4 so i fig'd it was new haha