V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

hey I need a turbo 4 my car GTA V6 can u help me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Gta Trans Am V6 Turbo
Engine: V6 Turbo
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: I dont know I think they R stock
hey I need a turbo 4 my car GTA V6 can u help me?

I need all the turbo stuff that i will need to hook up a turbo on my car again the guy i bought it from took all of it off i guess i want to make the car all original like it is supposed to be. can any one help me find the parts 4 pretty cheap? and also can any one let me know what kinda performance upgrades i can do with my car? Thanks,

Brandon
Old 05-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you car is a 1990 and has a 700R4 then you don't have a turbo on the car stock.

What exact "turbo stuff" are you looking for?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
any pics of your car?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 PM

No not yet but will try and Get some.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Car: 1990 firebird
Engine: 3.1 v6
GTA with v6 turbo? , and a 90...GTa only came out in 87 and they were 5.7 v8's not turbo v6. Sorry to tell you but u just got a 3.1 litre v6 firebird like me . NOT a GTA. And why would u swap out a 5.7 for a v6 ? plus its a gta u just dont do that!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
Originally Posted by FirebirdNYC
GTA with v6 turbo? , and a 90...GTa only came out in 87 and they were 5.7 v8's not turbo v6. Sorry to tell you but u just got a 3.1 litre v6 firebird like me . NOT a GTA. And why would u swap out a 5.7 for a v6 ? plus its a gta u just dont do that!
GTA's were more than one year...
Now the only TTA was 89. And the TTA was not a GTA, or labled as such. It shared some of the V8 GTA (WS6) suspension package, but mainly it was it's own little monster.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 AM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally Posted by FirebirdNYC

GTAs were offered from 1987 to 1992 with the TPI 305 or TPI 350 as engine options (and of course the 1555 TTAs that were made in 1989 with the Buick 3.8 V6 were GTAs as well although not labled as such)

Originally Posted by 1990GTAboy
I need all the turbo stuff that i will need to hook up a turbo on my car again the guy i bought it from took all of it off i guess i want to make the car all original like it is supposed to be. can any one help me find the parts 4 pretty cheap? and also can any one let me know what kinda performance upgrades i can do with my car? Thanks,

Brandon
I responded to your question in the power adder section, but I'll answer it here as well. The original owner of your car did not "take off" the turbo stuff from the engine because there was no turbo stuff on your engine from the factory. If your is in fact a GTA then it was ONLY offered with a V8 in 1990. If your car has a V6 it was either swapped in at sometime (which I doubt), or it is not a GTA, it is just a base V6 firebird (much more likely)

Last edited by Crazy Firebird Kid; 05-25-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Firebird Kid
GTAs were offered from 1987 to 1992 with the TPI 305 or TPI 350 as engine options (and of course the 1555 TTAs that were made in 1989 with the Buick 3.8 V6 were GTAs as well although not labled as such)
nevermind.. misread that...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:46 PM

I dont know ant thing about it i am just going with what he has told me. my car has the GTA hood,front end,tail fin,and all the only thing i dont have is the rims. I really wish that i can figurer out this mystery about my car. I really need to know so i can start puting some more power into the car.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1990GTAboy
I dont know ant thing about it i am just going with what he has told me. my car has the GTA hood,front end,tail fin,and all the only thing i dont have is the rims. I really wish that i can figurer out this mystery about my car. I really need to know so i can start puting some more power into the car.
Actually forget it... Look up the RPO code for the GTA. Then compare that code to the code tags on the car. I highly doubt they will match...
Y84 is GTA
Y83 is Firebird

And if is a true 90 model, there is no way it is a real TTA.
And No, and I mean absolutely NO GTA was EVER a V6.
And no, the TTA does not count, or even come close as it was never badged as a GTA.

Pop the hood, and look at the emissions tag on the radiator core/Hood. That will tell you what engine it has/should have.
Also look at the intake plenium, if it looks like a awkward X thing, it is a 2.8/3.1.

also look at the VIN number... The 8th digit matters. What it means is as follows...

E L03 V8 (305 TBI)
F LB9 V8 (305 TPI)
8 L98 V8 (350 TPI)
T LH0 V6 (2.8/3.1)
Old 05-25-2006, 09:47 PM

The TTA was a GTA.

1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am GTA Official Press Release
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 PM

Car: 89 Firebird, 92 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI, 355 TPI
Transmission: t-5, t-5
Axle/Gears: open 3.42, posi 3.42
he hasnt even said it was badged as a gta . . . his car could actually be an 89 tta(least likely), or its probably a 90 bird with GTA body parts put on.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7

does your car have this engine?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA #1240
Engine: 3.8 SFI turbo
Transmission: 2004r
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Every TTA produced even the pilot cars were GTA's. There was only one 3rd GenTrans Am made with a V6. All cars were pulled off without regard to vin number sequences, but yes they are all GTA's.......
Old 05-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
as pete said ALL TTAs were GTAs. the only GTAs or Trans Ams to ever come with a v6 are the rare 1989 TurboTransAms with buick 3.8L turbo engines. no one in his right mind would screw up one of those that bad. there is no concevable way there is somone out there who owns one and does not know what it is. they would simply get too mant "WOW! NICE CAR"s to ever NOT know it was a TTA. that is the kinda car you make a left infront of oncoming traffic to get a better look at

to the board:
for real, this guys a troll. my god, no one is this dumb. just in case i am wrong here is my response:

what you have is a 1990 v6 with the aero package. it was somwhat common after 89 to have the aero package on non TAs. the GTA hood you are refering too has the nostrils and is an hour swap to put on a car not originaly equiped. same deal with the wraparound spoiler. both are realativly prevalent in junkyards and on ebay.

your car is equiped with a 60* v6 just like the rest of us. except me since i have a real GTA
Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM

v6sucker was the one talking about TTAs not being GTAs, not 1990GTABoy. I have exchanged several PMs with GTABoy and I do not believe he is a troll. I think he was just seriously misinformed by the person he bought the car from.

Oh, and you aren't the only one with a Real GTA on here
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
v6sucker was the one talking about TTAs not being GTAs, not 1990GTABoy. I have exchanged several PMs with GTABoy and I do not believe he is a troll. I think he was just seriously misinformed by the person he bought the car from.

ahhh.. yeah i see now he has 8 posts. troll don't hang around that long. ssorry to doubt you dude. sorry you were lied too. you are not the only one. i met a guy last week convinced that he had a 1986 GTA. they never made GTAs in 1986 as most GTA fans know.

yeah, there were 9K+ GTAs in 1988 alone, it would be odd if i was the only one to frequent the six board . i love my GTA, but i can't wait to get my six back from my buddy and get 23/30 MPG again. using this thing as a daily is sucking all my MOD money
Old 05-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Supreme Member

well I have not seen a TTA with GTA badging on it. They all had TTA badges.

I said they were not GTA's. But I also said that they shared alot of the same parts with the GTA, but were not labled/badged as GTA's. And to my knowlage they never were, if someone shows me a pic of a real TTA with factory installed GTA badges on it then I will change my opinion, but untill that happens...

To me the TTA and GTA are two distinctly different models. Just like any other third gen however, they share alot of parts with the other models.

So in effect, I was and am correct. They may have used the base GTA (which I already said that they shared alot of the same performance parts), but nowhere on the TTA does it have a "GTA" name badge.

Last edited by V6sucker; 05-28-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:53 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: AUTO, 56k orig
looking at 1 right now, nope no gta badges on the TTA.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by V6sucker
GTA's were more than one year...
Now the only TTA was 89. And the TTA was not a GTA, or labled as such. It shared some of the V8 GTA (WS6) suspension package, but mainly it was it's own little monster.
TTAs had the Y84 RPO (Y84=GTA, all GTAs have the Y84 option, and all Y84 optioned cars are GTAs) . thus, they are in fact GTAs. they had the GTA style badging, the TTA badge looks JUST LIKE the GTA badge except it says TTA insdtead of GTA. while you are correct, they never had badging that said "GTA" on the side, Iroc-Z camaros never said "camaro" on the side, but they still are (i know little about camaros, i might be wrong about that, but my point is made). the GTA and TTA are no more different then the 5.7L GTA and a 5.0 GTA. the only difference is a few RPO codes. the following is an excerpt from
THE GTA SOURCE PAGE - THE HOME For The Trans Am GTA Enthusiast....
FAQ section:

Question #12 - "Why is the 20th Anniversary Trans Am on your page? It's not really a GTA......... is it?"

Indeed..... in reality, it is. According to Pontiac's own publications, the 20th Anniversary (TATA) cars were "GTA-based" models, and so they too are featured on the Source Page. Apart from the engine, front springs, brakes, and different badging, the TATA's all featured the standard GTA-level equipment as well.
to add to that the following is an axcerpt from the ORIGINAL PONTIAC PRESS RELEASE concerning the 20th aniversery Turbo Trans AM:
The all-white Trans Am GTA is not a hybrid vehicle designed purely to pace the race, nor is it a vehicle with even minor modifications to satisfy the demanding performance requirements of the Speedway. It is one of only 1,500 identical 3.8L V-6 turbocharged Trans Am GTA models conceived to celebrate the special 20th birthday of this classic American muscle car, and meets every Speedway performance requirement for pacing the starting grid without any mechanical or technical modifications......
......"There will only be 1,500 of these very special Trans Am GTAs, and when these are built the run is concluded."
(note: color added for emphesis)

to read the entire press release click this link: TTApressrease

i don't mean to go on a rant, but i hate to see misinformation propagated on our wonderful site. but in affect what you are saying is the aquivalent of saying that an IROC-Z is not a Camaro, it is a completly seperate car, that happens to share a few body lines. anyway, i think i have made my point in full. i have presented some relavent information and given links directly to another wealth of information that further backs up my point. if you still feel i am wrong, and that the TTA is NOT a GTA pleas visit the "history and restoration" section of this forum and ask the same question, or PM frankierider2, administrator of the GTAsorcepage and get his views. i'll get off my soapbox now

Last edited by Xophertony; 05-28-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Xophertony
TTAs had the Y84 RPO (Y84=GTA, all GTAs have the Y84 option, and all Y84 optioned cars are GTAs) . thus, they are in fact GTAs. they had the GTA style badging, the TTA badge looks JUST LIKE the GTA badge except it says TTA insdtead of GTA. while you are correct, they never had badging that said "GTA" on the side, Iroc-Z camaros never said "camaro" on the side, but they still are (i know little about camaros, i might be wrong about that, but my point is made). the GTA and TTA are no more different then the 5.7L GTA and a 5.0 GTA. the only difference is a few RPO codes. the following is an excerpt from
THE GTA SOURCE PAGE - THE HOME For The Trans Am GTA Enthusiast....
FAQ section:

to add to that the following is an axcerpt from the ORIGINAL PONTIAC PRESS RELEASE concerning the 20th aniversery Turbo Trans AM:
(note: color added for emphesis)

to read the entire press release click this link: TTApressrease

i don't mean to go on a rant, but i hate to see misinformation propagated on our wonderful site. but in affect what you are saying is the aquivalent of saying that an IROC-Z is not a Camaro, it is a completly seperate car, that happens to share a few body lines. anyway, i think i have made my point in full. i have presented some relavent information and given links directly to another wealth of information that further backs up my point. if you still feel i am wrong, and that the TTA is NOT a GTA pleas visit the "history and restoration" section of this forum and ask the same question, or PM frankierider2, administrator of the GTAsorcepage and get his views. i'll get off my soapbox now
whatever... I fukin give up.... jezzus frakin christ...

knew I should passed on coming back here...
So anyone know a person looking to buy a pretty stout running HSR/383 equipped GTA... I am gonna get rid of this thing and get out of third gens...
Old 05-28-2006, 01:04 PM

whatever... I fukin give up.... jezzus frakin christ...

knew I should passed on coming back here...
So anyone know a person looking to buy a pretty stout running HSR/383 equipped GTA... I am gonna get rid of this thing and get out of third gens...

You learn very slowly.... we are not trying to make you feel bad. There is so much bad information out there we don't need people going around saying incorrect things and propegating that bad information. Mature a little then come back with an open mind.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

we are not trying to make you feel bad. There is so much bad information out there we don't need people going around saying incorrect things and propegating that bad information.

yeah, V6sucker, your cool. i just don't want to see what i saw the other day. i met this gentelman with "an all original 1986 GTA". somone somwhere told him they made GTAs in 86. last thing we need is that guy or others like him getting validation for their mis-information from as reputable a source as TGO. it's nothing against you personally. i am trying to make you smarter.

bottom line is this. i am sorry if i offended you, but i will not allow information i know to be incorrect propagated on TGO. i seldom do things like this, but then again, i seldom KNOW about somthing. when i to comes to TTAs i KNOW.

anyway, i hope you do not take my rant of knowledge as an attack, it was not meant as one. but i guess if you are going to be this imature (not coming back to the forum, swearing on the site, offering to sell your GTA) about being wrong (so verry wrong) about somthing, maybe this site is not the best place for you. there are a lot of people on here who know A LOT about thirdgens. i don't claim to be one of them, but if you go around making claims like this you are going to be corrected, again and again, by others smarter and more knowledgable then myself who share the same belief that TGO should not ba a source of misinformation. read the history board somtime and see the giant wall of info staring at you. it's incredable what people like okfoz, scottmoyer, willie, frankierider2 and many others know about these cars. thats why verry seldom do i make a stand on a history issue, usualy they know and i just think.

anyway, i hope you continue to use this site for what it is, one of the best sources for history and tech information on the thirdgen fbody.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:36 PM

where is this code i am supposed to look 4 it thinkit is just a bird W/GTA body parts on it. hte 8th is a T so it is a V6 but is it a 2.8/3.1?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

if you look on the top of the intake (highest point) you will see a circle that says "2.8L" on a 2.8. NO Circle on 3.1s. here is a pic of my 2.8. you cant read it, but it is that shiny circle on top.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Xophertony

yeah, V6sucker, your cool. i just don't want to see what i saw the other day. i met this gentelman with "an all original 1986 GTA". somone somwhere told him they made GTAs in 86. last thing we need is that guy or others like him getting validation for their mis-information from as reputable a source as TGO. it's nothing against you personally. i am trying to make you smarter.

bottom line is this. i am sorry if i offended you, but i will not allow information i know to be incorrect propagated on TGO. i seldom do things like this, but then again, i seldom KNOW about somthing. when i to comes to TTAs i KNOW.

anyway, i hope you do not take my rant of knowledge as an attack, it was not meant as one. but i guess if you are going to be this imature (not coming back to the forum, swearing on the site, offering to sell your GTA) about being wrong (so verry wrong) about somthing, maybe this site is not the best place for you. there are a lot of people on here who know A LOT about thirdgens. i don't claim to be one of them, but if you go around making claims like this you are going to be corrected, again and again, by others smarter and more knowledgable then myself who share the same belief that TGO should not ba a source of misinformation. read the history board somtime and see the giant wall of info staring at you. it's incredable what people like okfoz, scottmoyer, willie, frankierider2 and many others know about these cars. thats why verry seldom do i make a stand on a history issue, usualy they know and i just think.

anyway, i hope you continue to use this site for what it is, one of the best sources for history and tech information on the thirdgen fbody.
I was having a bad day overall then.
And I was looking to sell the car as the owrk I have been doing has not been going well.

I realize that the TTA may have started off as GTA (or better to the point it started with alot of the same RPO codes), which is all fine and good.
They even had the Y84 OPTION RPO. That is all that code means, it had certain parts installed.
However, I have also seen true Firebirds with the Y84 code but were not badged as GTA's. They had the parts, but not the badges.
The GTA appearance badges just like with about any other car out there were a deletable option. It had to be custom ordered, but very much doable. That is info I got from a dealer.

And I still say that the GTA and TTA are two different cars. The TTA was a very specific model that was offered once, for one year and had a very specific set of RPO codes. The fact that they used the Y84 performance package means that they shared the same suspension package with the GTA, nothing more nothing less. Because other than that, they were an entirely different car, and one of them could not get 100% of the RPO codes of the other.
The TTA had options (RPO codes) that you could not get with the GTA. If you think about it that is what says it is a different car.

All a GTA is, is a dressed up firebird. It has RPO codes that the standard firebird off the floor did not get. While the Firebird could be special ordered with whatever codes and packages you wanted, if you wanted it right then and there, you had to get a GTA model for certain RPO codes.

The RPO code is just something that can be referenced to insure a certain package was installed at the factory. While yes, every GTA has this code that is not the point. That just means that it was not a deletable option from the factory, if you wanted the GTA you got that RPO package.

That is my point I am done with it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 AM

Next time you see a base model Firebird (TBI or V-6) with the RPO Y84, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a picture of the SPID sheet.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Next time you see a base model Firebird (TBI or V-6) with the RPO Y84, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a picture of the SPID sheet.
Like I said I have only seen two over some 15 years.
But both were in Va.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

The fact that they used the Y84 performance package means that they shared the same suspension package with the GTA, nothing more nothing less.

to be more acurate WS6 (a part of the y84 package, but not exclusive to y84) is the "GTA" suspension (available on TAs too). TTAs do carry that RPO as well, since it is included in the Y84 "GTA Option Package". Y84 was a part of the Y82 "Package, Trans Am Limited Edition (20th Anniversary)".

i think at this point weare arguing over symantics. you say that even a GTA is NOT a GTA if it has no badges, where i disagree with that. however nether one is realy "true". it is just a different viewpoint. if we are exepting that a factory badge deleted GTA is not a true GTA, then a TTA is not a true GTA ether. while i do not personay feel that is "correct", i am willing to except it as a legitiamte position.

however, without an RPO for "badge delete", this is a moot point. do you know said RPO? i could find no mention of it on the GTA source page (not that it has every little peice of info there is) if it was a legit factory option it will have an RPO. if not it is likly that the dealership of original sale removed the badging for a customer. this was a common practice with 82-84 TAs. customers would order one without the lower body stripe, and the dealer would "order one" and take the vynal stripe off, call the guy in a week and tell him his car had arived.

anyway, if anyone knows this GTA badge delete RPO i would be verry interested to learn more info about it. though for the record i am almost posative it does not exist for GTAs.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:32 PM

Like I said I have only seen two over some 15 years.
But both were in Va.
I am sorry, but you haven't seen any. Y84 means GTA. That is the way we tell if it is an authentic GTA.

Again, I am not making this stuff up...

1987-92 Trans Am GTA Authentication Tips

"For the 1987-1990 cars, the label was placed on the inside wall of the console glove box; in turn, for 1991 and 1992, the sticker was moved into the LH rear storage compartment. The GTA option code was Y84; the code is enlarged on each sticker in the picture.

If there is a "be all/end all" in GTA documentation......... HERE IT IS."

If any Firebird could have that RPO then that wouldn't be true.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

I am sorry, but you haven't seen any. Y84 means GTA. That is the way we tell if it is an authentic GTA.

Again, I am not making this stuff up...

1987-92 Trans Am GTA Authentication Tips

"For the 1987-1990 cars, the label was placed on the inside wall of the console glove box; in turn, for 1991 and 1992, the sticker was moved into the LH rear storage compartment. The GTA option code was Y84; the code is enlarged on each sticker in the picture.

If there is a "be all/end all" in GTA documentation......... HERE IT IS."

If any Firebird could have that RPO then that wouldn't be true.
I said I am done arguing.
I saw what I saw. Period.
I am done with this...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM

And I'll bet they had a 350 and a 5-speed from the factory.