History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Question for Willie?? 87 iroc vert

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc-z Convertible
Question for Willie?? 87 iroc vert

Was going back through old post about 87 verts and saw you only had 305 carb with auto and 305 tpi with stick listed as only engine combo's what about the tbi? Or are you including that in carb section. Also wanted to see if you can tell me why my 87 has the square shifter and 7500 rpm tach like the 350 iroc? Had more questions but can't think of the rest. If anybody else can shed any light on some of this stuff Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Re: Question for Willie?? 87 iroc vert

Was going back through old post about 87 verts and saw you only had 305 carb with auto and 305 tpi with stick listed as only engine combo's what about the tbi?

The 305 TBI (RPO L03) became the base engine in the IROC-Z in 1988. It was not offered in 1987.

Also wanted to see if you can tell me why my 87 has the square shifter and 7500 rpm tach like the 350 iroc?

There's a database out there (can't recall where) that states that only 350 cars received the square automatic shifter ****. This information is grossly in error. All automatic equipped Camaros from 1987 - 1992 came with the square ****.

The only difference in the tach is the redline. All V8s are either 5,000 or 5,500 rpm, depending on engine; the V6 shows a 6,000 rpm redline. All these tachs read to 7,000 rpm. Please double-check to see where yours maxes out because I've never seen one that reads to 7,500 rpm.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

my tach on this iroc convert is exactly like the tach from the 87 350 t-top I had I meant to say tached out at 7000 rpm (I was tired) but it yellows at 5000 and redlines at 5500. as far as the TBI part I will send you a carfax report I got for it. Let me know what you think after you see it. Also I don't know if you remember about it but this is the same convert that Dave Douthwright talked to you about a couple years ago. I found out some new stuff. Anyway see what you can make of Carfax. Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
TGO Supporter

John,

I am well aware that you bought your car from Dave. What you probably don't know is that Dave and I did a lot or research on the car when he owned it. Maybe you can fill me in what what Dave told you about it when you purchased it. I'll supply the rest. This will give you all your answers, I believe.

The only other comment I have at this time (after examining your CarFax report) is this: In 1987, the Camaro had only four engine choices:

1) 2.8 Multi-port (S)
2) 5.0 Carb (H)
3) 5.0 TPI (F)
4) 5.7 TPI (8)

The eighth digit of your VIN must be one of these designators. Yours is an "H".

Willie
Old 10-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Whenever I bought the car from Dave he said it was one of the Vegas 350 conversion verts? The thing I don't get now after looking at Carfax is why it was sold in Mass. and never mentioned anything about Vegas until 95? Another thing was he said car had like 37,000 miles but after seeing the report found out it is rolled over!! I will be restoring it back to completely original in Jan so I need to find out what motor is in it? When I got it it had an Edelbrock intake and a Ford Motor Co. 2 barrel carb, He said it had a tpi setup when he went to buy it but when he went back a week later it had the junk Ford carb setup. I decided to put tpi back up and I see no way it had tpi on it for the following reasons: single electric fan, and no injector plugs in the dash harness couldn't find anything cut. So right now I really don't know what to think but I would like to get it all figured out Thansk alot let me know what you can
Old 10-21-2003, 10:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Dave used to post on Iroc-zpost.com. I performed a search on his username, Dave_At_Nellis and found he hasn't posted there in about one year. When he was posting, I read a lot about his car. Apparently when he owned it, it had a 350 TPI in it and he thought it was original. That's when I stepped in and explained to him why it could not be "factory" original. The result of our research netted some of the following info:

Apparently, there was one dealership in Las Vegas (can't recall the name, but the name "Henderson" sticks in my mind) that offered 350 TPI conversions in Camaro convertibles in 1987 and 1988. This conversion was performed on factory original 305 carb (H in VIN) convertibles. There were only three of these conversions made, probably because the dealership added $8800 to the price of the car!! However, it was fairly thorough. Not only was the original engine replaced, but the factory engine wiring harness was changed to the TPI variant, the 5,000 rpm redline tach was swapped for the 5,500 redline unit (stock on 350s), the 85-mph speedo was replaced with the 145-mph unit, the in-tank fuel pump was changed (necessary to converting from carb to fuel injection), dual electric fans replaced the single unit, and exterior "5.7 TUNED PORT INJECTION" decals/emblems were added. I don't recall, but the rear axle assembly might also have been swapped to a 9-bolt. You can confirm this.

The bottom line is if you want to restore the car back to original, the best thing to do is to go back to a 305 carb because this aftermarket conversion does nothing to raise the value of the car. The only problem (in terms of originality) that I see with installing a 305 carb is the fact that you don't have the original engine. It will not be numbers-matching, which is a very important factor in any classic car. However, I feel it is important to still match the engine specs to the VIN. So if I owned your car, it would go back to a 305 carb.

I find interesting your story about the rolled over mileage and the intake/carb setup you bought the car with. Dave never mentioned any of this to me. About the single fan; all "H" coded cars had a single electric fan. However, I know your car did have the dual fan setup when Dave owned it. I can only surmise that whoever swapped the TPI setup also swapped in a single fan. It's also possible that the engine wiring harness was changed too. It's impossible to be conclusive on any of this though. Is it possible that Dave had all this work done after you agreed to a price simply because your price was extremely low and he was just a little "ticked"??? I know he was hurting for $$$ at that time.

Willie
Old 10-21-2003, 10:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Guess what I just found? Dave's old car was an intriguing topic, so I saved a lot of his questions (and my answers) in a Word document. Here it is:

The 8th digit is an H, and it has the code in the RPO for a 305.

Yep, this is what I suspected based on some of your other posts indicating some of the options you have (or don’t have).

However, the 305 has been removed at some time, and replaced with a 010 block 350. All block numbers match an 87 L98 350. (I believe they said L98).

There is a flat surface in front of the passenger side head (just behind the alternator) that is used to stamp numbers onto. GM stamped block id numbers on this flat surface. Can you send these numbers to me?

Also, I find it rather unusual that a new block is bored 0.010”. Is there any way to confirm this? I’ve never heard a 0.010” overbore. I know pistons are made in 0.020”, 0.030”, 0.040” and 0.060” overbore for usage on rebuilt blocks, but never 0.010”.

The 1987 model year camaro, there were TWO camaros only that were "Modified" by GM professionally to have the 350. What happened, is that possibly a GM executive, or high paying customer wanted a 350 in their car, knowing that it would be unique.

I have never heard of GM actually making modifications (of any level) to a customer owned car. This is what you’re saying here.

Another point I should make. It was simple to own a 350 IROC-Z. ASC performed the conversions for GM (more on this later). All a paying customer would have to do is to purchase a 350 IROC-Z coupe and for an additional $4,000, ASC would make the arrangements to have it transported to their assembly plant and have it converted. There are records that indicate this was performed. So why would anyone take the path you’re stating to obtain a 350 convertible? It doesn’t make sense.

But he said 90% it is, because it has the beefier tranny, and the 145 speedo.

Let me address both. Do you have documentation that your car does not have a “factory” transmission? I ask because GM only had ONE type of 700R4 available. There is no such thing as a “heavy duty” model. For more information, call Dana at Pro Built Transmissions (800.776.3288).

FACT: The 145-mph speedo made its debut in late year production 1986 Z28’s (with and without the IROC-Z option). For 1987 and later years, the 145-mph speedo was used on all 305 and 350 TPI cars (except 1989 and newer convertibles).

Your car, originally equipped with an LG4 (305 carb), originally came with an 85-mph speedo.

The tranny is also symbolized by a square ****; all 305s came with a round ****.

FACT: (1986) was the last year of the round ****. All 1987 and later Camaros with the 700R4 received the square ****. My 1987 IROC-Z with a 305 TPI has a square ****.

All RPOs point to this car should have been made with t-tops, standard axle (No RPO G80). However, the car is a convertible, and does not have t-tops, but has a "3" in the Vin, which you state to be a true convertible.

Here’s a brief history of “factory” convertibles. Camaro convertibles began life as a regular t-top production model (hence, RPO CC1 on all convertibles). Cars from the F-body plant in Norwood, Ohio, are delivered to Automobile Specialty Company (ASC) facilities in Lansing, Michigan, minus the hatches or certain interior trim parts, which would only be removed later anyway. Once there, the roof is skillfully sliced off to make way for the drop-top. After all the structural supports were added, the car was shipped back to Norwood GM assembly plant for final assembly and touch-up.

All these “factory” convertibles have the “3” in the VIN and have the “20th Anniversary….” map pocket. However, these are not all the ASC convertibles produced. A proud new owner of a Camaro coupe could contact ASC, pay ~4,000 and have ASC transport their car to ASC’s plant, have it converted, and shipped back to the customer. This was know to happen with 1987 350 IROC-Z coupes. These cars obviously show a “2” in the VIN. These cars do not have the map pocket, but ASC did install a sequentially numbered dash plaque.

On the standard axle…. Available only on the Z28 and Z28 with the IROC-Z option. The G80 was a mandatory option on all 305/350 TPI equipped Camaros. It was optional ($100) with the 305 LG4.

Also, GM was interested at the time to see if the supports under the car would be rigid enough to support a 350. It was later ruled no, but I do not know if any of the new convertibles have them.

Right. That’s why GM never produced a 350 third gen convertible.

According to the Parts Mgr, he said the car probably was sold to a dealer, who offered this little known option, and upon sale, resent the car in to be made with a 350.

I have a little difficulty with this statement on two accounts. First, if it was a GM option, what is the RPO code? Secondly, it would be much simpler for the customer to purchase a 350 coupe and sent to ASC (as outlined above). So it doesn’t make sense that GM would offer such an option.

Dave also said he started there in the 70s, and knew the General manager was famous here in town for doing stuff like that.

I know that things like this happened in the 70’s. I mean you could get the wildest combinations of interior/exterior colors that would make a sane person throw up. But on third gens, no deviation was allowed in any options and/or interior/exterior color combinations. (At least Chevrolet records indicate no such animals were made.)

We first thought it was a 350 coupe that was made to be a convertible, due to the RPO code for T-tops. But when he saw the Vin, he knew it could not be. As he surmised, it was probably resent to the factory, California? and there they removed the 305, then put in a 350.

You see Dave, it’s statements like this that make me not want to believe anything the parts manager says. He doesn’t even know that ALL “factory” convertibles show RPO CC1 (t-tops). Enough said.

Also, Dave said that the car would have been previously chosen to be one of the 744 made into convertibles. He said that what may have happened, is that someone could have ordered it with a 350 for the price of $3,995, (Albeit extra fees added to it), then when it went to print, it was changed there. He said that it was a contractor company, NOT GM that converted the convertibles from a T-Top model, so the cars would have prior had the VIN # and RPOs for the T-Top version. So he surmised it may have been a quick phone call to GM upon receipt of the cars from the company who chopped them.

Your parts manager doesn’t even know the history of how third gen convertibles become convertibles. I’ve already outlined this. Now can you see why I’m skeptical?

Also something interesting he said- it may have been done there at the dealership.

Wrong again.

He said they commonly stock motors there, as some are on display in the parts section. If it were my guess, I would say that this is what happened. If someone else did it, I would suggest that they would not also have changed the tranny, as it would still have a round ****, as mine is square.

Dave, any previous owner of your car could have had a 350 installed at the dealership at any time. All I know conclusively is that your car was originally sold with a 305 carb (RPO LG4). I don’t know if you’ve ever had a collectible car appraised, but all that matters is originality. Any modifications devalue a collectible car.

But Dave said GM records indicate in the 87 year, there were two that left the dealerships that had 350s in them. In 88, he has uncovered 3 so far, but is checking with other dealerships as best he can. In 89, there were only 2, and 90, it was not an option. He said they should have their own option code, CZA3? I am really not sure. It should be IROC Convertible Group 3.

Oh boy…… I have several references with production numbers. It is a fact that ZERO 350 third gen convertibles were built by GM. This has been hashed over and over on my board.

The dealership CANNOT add option codes to a car that has been delivered to them from GM. That’s ridiculous.

(CZA3) is the top of the line option code for 1988 IROC-Z convertibles, not 1987!! (1SC) is the top of the line code in 1987. Again, how can I believe anything this manager says when he can’t get the basic facts right?

I really don't feel mine is any rarer, and the value might actually be decreased from this thing they did.

From a collectible viewpoint, all equipment must match existing RPO codes including information supplied by the VIN. Sure, your car is rare because it is one of 744, but I believe it is not worth any more (maybe less) because it no longer has the original engine. The words “numbers matching” is VERY important on collectible cars.

I wish I had the orig paperwork on the car, as it would show the dealer charged whoever bought it an extra $3,995 alone for the motor, then *** knows how much for the tranny, since we all know that GM is out to get every $$$ they can.

I’m going to speculate here. The car (convertible) was purchased from the dealership. He/she wanted a 350 so bad that he/she paid the price to have the dealership install a 350 and replace the engine wiring harness (including ECM) from a carb to a TPI. Of course the 350 would be from model year 1987 because that’s all the dealership had. (For any given year, dealerships only have access to the current line of replacement engines.) I truly believe also the transmission was not replaced, as a transmission that is used for a 305 carbed engine is identical to one used behind a 350 TPI. There is no difference externally or internally. Call Dana at Pro Built Transmissions to verify this fact (800.776.3288).

They also probably sold the person the Limited slip rear, as it has a 3.27 rear, limited slip.

Does your car present have drum or rear disc brakes? Also, is it a nine or ten-bolt? The axle has identifying numbers stamped on the passenger side axle tube. It is located on the tube surface towards the front of the car. It can only be seen if you are looking towards the rear of the car. It is very faint, so you’ll probably have to use sandpaper to remove slight surface rust and grime to see it. If you can get the number, I can decipher it.

There is one more 88 in this town that Dave said he worked on a couple of years, It was also converted to a 350. He said the original owner purchased it at , you guessed it- Fairway Chevy. It had the square **** also.

It seems Fairway Chevy was promoting this conversion to new buyers of convertibles – maybe even telling them a story to enhance their chances of making a huge profit. I can almost guarantee that Fairway Chevy did not disclose any information to potential customers that the other avenue to obtain a 350 convertible was to buy a t-top Camaro, then have ASC do a customer conversion because there is no profit for them.

So from what we both figured, is that mine came from Fairway, as it was the only dealership in Vegas then, and since it is Vegas, with $$$ everywhere, the Gen Mgr at the time found a way to make a little extra.

Dave, I think you’ve come to the same conclusion I just did!!!! I swear I did not read this (your) comment before I typed my reply above.

Now at what point before the initial sale this was done, we don't know. But he said both cars were done professionally by GM.

In my eyes, “professionally by GM” means the dealership made the conversion. The car was most definitely not shipped back to GM. That’s ludicrous.

And he is almost 100% sure it was before the initial sale.

I have another thought. Does your car have RPO 1AY or 1AZ? It will be one or the other. I may have the conclusive answer if you tell me which one of these codes your car has. Get back to me on this one.

IF you can find me a copy of the paperwork for this special order, please share with all of us!!! It is a very rare thing, and I really want it posted on the site so I can show others that it was a possibility to order your car with the 350.

As stated above, I believe this was a dealership idea to make them more $$$.

Also, there is something called the 1LE IROC. It was only a special order, and was produced I think from 86-88. It was a delete stripe option. Also, it has bigger brakes, and a 350. General Motors has no record at how many were ordered like this.

I posted some info on 1LE’s on the Tech Board. To answer your specific questions, the stripe delete (RPO DX3) was offered from 1988 thru 1990. It has nothing to do with the 1LE. The 1LE does have larger brakes. It had either a 305/5-speed or 350/auto. GM does have records of production numbers. I have listed them on my post.

Let me know if you find out any more on these cars, and if any of your contacts can get me this special order sheet, please!!!! Thanks!

Dave, I believe the 350 swap was dealership induced and executed. Therefore, they would be the only ones with paperwork.
------------------

Willie- I also forgot to mention- I talked to the lady who said she ordered her car in 87 with a 350. She is still looking for her paperwork.

What I stated earlier now makes a lot of sense. The lady ordered a 350 convertible. Because the 1987 IROC-Z convertible with automatic could only be ordered from the factory with a 305 carb (LG4), that’s what they did. Upon arrival, the dealership swapped engines and wiring, then sold the car to the lady with the original GM invoice and the dealership “addendum” (in the amount of $3995). It all makes sense now. It was a dealership conversion!

She said she did order it at Fairway Chevy, and they kept telling her that she had to order the better 700-R4, the Limited slip, and consequently, charged her an extra $8,000 when it was all said and done.

I can’t help but think she got royally taken. I have a copy of the “Manufacturers Motor Vehicle Specifications” for 1987 Camaros. It contains all the technical specs used in assembling Camaros. Believe me when I say that there is only ONE automatic transmission used in these cars.

The limited-slip is not an issue. It could be ordered from GM as an option on LG4 equipped IROC-Z convertibles for $100.

$8000?? What a ripoff!!

(to be continued)
Old 10-21-2003, 10:45 PM
TGO Supporter

At the time, Julie's then-husband owned a local pub, so they had the money to do it. She said that it was sold to her as an 87, but upon receipt of it, she got an 88 with 87 rims.

I have never heard of an 88 with 87 rims. I’ve love to see the codes to verify this.

It did have the 350.

For $8k, it better have a 426 Hemi!!!!

She said it was stolen a few years later downtown, and totalled. Upon insurance $$, she tried to order a 90, but Fairway Chevy said that it was no longer offered, first for safety reasons, and for cost-feasibility. The only thing i can figure, is that either they changed Gen Mgrs, Chevy could not do the changeover anymore if in fact they were the ones that did it, or if Fairway did it, then it was too expensive, or they were being breathed heavily on by upper mgt.

Yeah, I agree. It’s all about the mighty dollar.

The only thing I am wondering, is about the convertible group 3 RPO code. He said that it could possibly be one of the codes for the 350 package. please let me know what you find!!!

Check for RPO 1SC (or 1SB or 1SA). You will list one of these. Once you tell me which one you have, I’ll supply a detailed list of what is included with that option package. Deal?

Summarization
It became clear to me as I was typing the answers. First, it’s hard to believe anything the general manager says simply because of all the inaccuracies I read in his statements. So I had to rely on my intuition and your statements to come to a deduction.

You can look at the following from a customer’s point of view and it makes sense. You can look at it from the dealership’s point of view too and it still makes sense. The customer comes into the dealer showroom to buy an IROC-Z ragtop. He wants the top-of-the-line engine, the 350. He’s told that GM will not build a 350 ragtop, but that the dealership can make the conversion for $3995.

Now, the dealership has to consider two facts before ordering the car from GM:
1) The 1987 Z28 convertible could only be ordered with the LG4/auto or 305 TPI/5-speed.
2) The 350 can only be mated to the automatic.
Should the dealership order the LG4/auto knowing the engine wiring harness (with ECM) needs complete replacement? The TPI and carb wiring harnesses are completely different. Or should the dealership order the 305 TPI/5-speed knowing the 5-speed must be swapped with an automatic? The answer is obvious.

The dealership orders the 305 LG4 carb engine with the automatic because it would be simpler to swap engines and wiring harness than it would be to swap engines and changeover from a manual to automatic transmission.

The car arrives at the dealership and a new 350 is ordered. It is installed for $3995. The customer takes delivery as a happy camper.

The dealership makes a killing, especially if the price is raised from $3995 to $8000!! Dave, I believe this is how it happened. If my speculation is true, the paperwork the lady has that shows the 350 was installed will be from the dealership, not GM.

Willie

Last edited by Willie; 10-21-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

was wondering if he ever mentioned why he thought it was a 350 in it? Did he ever give verifacation of it being a 350? either way if it is a 350 in it I may just keep it like that for a while maybe for good who knows but was checking to see what else he may have told you. with the milage I think what I gave him for it was fair now at the time I thought I was getting a hell of a deal but it just wasn't the case. lol over and done with but now I am just trying to figure out what I've got to work with. Thanks alot for helping me out
Old 10-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Supreme Member

good job Willie you got the answer before you got the question. LOL Anyway I think I may just end up putting this one semi correct. (hint 383 or 396). I won't ever sell this one anyway I just have way too much in it. If I decide to start worrying about resale I will just end up buying another 87 vert something with a cleaner starting point. Like you said numbers matching means alot if your trying to get a good $ out of it. Sometime next year I am buying another Iroc anyway. I feel privilaged enough just getting the car in the first place. At least it's an original vert. Thansk alot for all the help Willie
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie, after emailing IROCZTWENTYGR8@aol.com and talking about 350 1987 converts, this is his response:It's pretty much fact that they were never made. To tell if it's a 350, the
8th digit of the VIN must be 8. If you have the RPO codes, it would have to
have B2L and L98. The place to ask is on ThirdGen.Org's History Board. You don't
have to call any1, they're all on there, including myself.

The original build sheets that I have from working @ ASC have the 8th digit being a 8, and L98 engine, disc brakes, oil cooler, 3.27 axle I think. Not being a die hard GM guy its hard to know what the right codes are. Some are from ca. and some oh. These cars had t-tops and have the VIN showing a 2 even though they were converted. It also has the dealers they went to. I also have some of the pontiac 350 build sheets for 1988 and 1989. I was wondering if the VIN's you have would match the build sheets I have we removed all the factory wrapping before shipping. These are not dealership conversions as you have spoken about , but converted at ASC in Livonia, MI in 1987. I just need help reading these sheets if you believe them to be true for your info and documentation. Also these early converts did not have a power pulldown motor for the top. They had what we referred to as a "John Deere Pin" that had a release mech latch which was later changed to power. I think I still might have samples of both systems. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:22 AM
TGO Supporter

First and foremost, welcome to our boards. And thanks for sharing your info. It's hard to believe that we finally found someone who used to work for ASC when our cars were being built. You sir, can probably answer a ton of questions we convertible owners have!!!

Willie, after emailing IROCZTWENTYGR8@aol.com and talking about 350 1987 converts, this is his response:It's pretty much fact that they were never made.

The subject car above is an original convertible with a 305 carb. Fairway Chevrolet in Las Vegas transplanted a 350 TPI into this car and marked up the price $8,000.

IROCZTWENTYGR8 is not the resident expert on this topic. As for myself, I am considered many as the third generation Camaro convertible historian. Not to be tooting my own horn, but I've done a ton of research, stemming back from 1991 on these cars. And having owned THREE 1987 Z28 convertibles, I feel good about the information I possess.

There were ZERO 350 convertibles produced. But as you know, ASC performed customer conversions in 1987 - 88, not only for GM. So 350 convertibles do exist. However, they all have a "2" in the sixth position of the VIN (signifying coupe) and an "8" in the eight position (350).

I need to define "factory" convertible. GM did not produce a "factory" convertible from 1987 - 1992. Instead, t-top equipped cars were shipped to ASC without the glass tops or a rear hatch and some interior pieces missing. ASC then hacked the top off, changed the circuitry for the rear hatch pulldown so it would release the tonneau cover, etc., then shipped these cars back to GM for delivery to the dealerships.

One difference between a "factory" convertible (3 in VIN) and a customer conversion (2 in VIN) for 1987 is this: In 1987, the factory convertible received the "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" map pocket. The customer conversion did not have a map pocket, only the standard "CAMARO" or "Z28" push-in emblem. However on these cars, ASC did serialize their cars and added their own emblem directly under the factory emblem (pic below).

The original build sheets that I have from working @ ASC have the 8th digit being a 8, and L98 engine, disc brakes, oil cooler, 3.27 axle I think.

Correct. How many build sheets do you have? And do you have any for the non-350 Camaros?

I was wondering if the VIN's you have would match the build sheets I have we removed all the factory wrapping before shipping.

My current Z28 convertible did not have a build sheet. Is it possible that you have it? I have turned the car upside down looking for it to no avail.

These are not dealership conversions as you have spoken about , but converted at ASC in Livonia, MI in 1987.

Yes, I know. I think I explained myself above.

I just need help reading these sheets if you believe them to be true for your info and documentation.

I can definitely help and I would love to have copies/images of your build sheets. Do you have a listing of VIN's you could e-mail me that you have build sheets for? One might be mine!!

Also these early converts did not have a power pulldown motor for the top. They had what we referred to as a "John Deere Pin" that had a release mech latch which was later changed to power. I think I still might have samples of both systems.

Can you supply me with specifics on this?

While we're on this topic, do you have production numbers of the conversions made for GM and also customer owned vehicles. I talked to ASC about ten years ago and the figure I got for production conversions do not match GM's. Also, was there a separate count of Z28's vs. IROC-Z's? GM does not have this record, so no one knows how many Z28 convertibles and IROC-Z convertibles were made; only that the total of the two is 744. Thanks again!

Willie
Attached Thumbnails Question for Willie?? 87 iroc vert-1987-asc-converted-iroc  

Last edited by Willie; 10-22-2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:27 PM

Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: WC T-5
Whoa! I've never seen a dash badge like that- is that from an '87 20th anniversary edition? Was that a factory item?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

That was a dash badge from an ASC convertible that an individual had sent to them to have done. It is not an original convertible if it has that dash emblem. If it is a factory original it will have a leather map pocket that rads 20th anniversary comm. edition. I have seen quite a few with that dash badge but here is one for you Willie, I saw one a couple weeks ago and the little plate at the bottom with the Special Edition # is in White??? That was the only one I have seen have you ever seen one?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:49 PM
TGO Supporter

That was a dash badge from an ASC convertible that an individual had sent to them to have done. It is not an original convertible if it has that dash emblem.

And it was used only in 1987.

If it is a factory original it will have a leather map pocket that rads 20th anniversary comm. edition.

See pic.

I have seen quite a few with that dash badge but here is one for you Willie, I saw one a couple weeks ago and the little plate at the bottom with the Special Edition # is in White??? That was the only one I have seen have you ever seen one?

No, I have never seen a white one. Was it an '87 Camaro?

Willie
Attached Thumbnails Question for Willie?? 87 iroc vert-bconv5.jpg  
Old 10-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

it was an 87 I will see if I can find pics of it. Tryin to remember where it was I think on Ebay about two weeks ago so it will be kind of hard to find.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

was also reading over what you had posted earlier about there only being one transmission available I don't know if that is entirely true just because in my Jim Pace Catalog there is a listing for a heavy duty 700r4 that was made for the police issued caprices. I don't know when they started to build them but it is a factory original not a dealer mod. I don't know if they had this tranny available at the time the 87 verts were being produced It may have been not real certain on that though.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
TGO Supporter

To the best of my knowledge, Camaros in 1987 had only one automatic transmission available. That doesn't mean a beefier one wasn't made in 1987. It means that for Camaros, only one was available. I have a listing of all options available on the 1987 Camaro and this confirms what I believe.

Willie
Old 10-22-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
With this new member offering build sheets and possibly Z28 convertible production numbers, Willie is probably wetting his pants, grinning from ear to ear and checking this post and email every 3 minutes to see if the guy responded.

Am I right Willie? This could very well make your day.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Make my day? Considering it took over ten years to find (actually, he found us) a former ASC employee from the 80s, it will more than make my year!!

Bryan e-mailed me earlier today with some fascinating information. I replied with my phone number, which he asked for. I did not get a call today, so I'm going to wait a few days. At that time, I'll share the information Bryan e-mailed me with. Like I said, it's fascinating!!

Willie
Old 10-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

since you have my VIN # Willie if Brian has enough time you think you could ask to see if he has mine there anywhere. It would be nice.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:22 PM

Car: 87 20th anv lt sport coupe convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700 r4
build sheet

i also tore my car apart looking for a build sheet, i have an 87 asc conversion, mine is a 1987 20th anniversary edition LT sport coupe. i am slowly getting it back to original ,man what a find it would be to have the build sheet though.i am going to follow this post closely.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 PM

These are not dealership conversions as you have spoken about , but converted at ASC in Livonia, MI in 1987.

Yes, I know. I think I explained myself above.

Did ASC convert 1987 third gens in more than one location?. Mine was converted by ASC in Lansing, MI. I have a photo of my wife and me standing next to it on ASC's lot while it awaited conversion. I got tired of waiting for it, so we drove to Lansing and talked the lady security guard into moving it to the front of the line. There were so many cars waiting to be converted that ASC apparently ran out of the florescent rear hatch covers and they were using plastic sheet. Some of the cars had to have water damage.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:02 PM

ASC performed the F-body convertible conversions at the Livonia plant over on Autry only.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:26 PM

Now I'm really confused. What was my car doing at ASC's Lansing plant on June 17, 1987, along with dozens of other third gens with orange t-tops and an orange fiberglass (I think) hatch cover?
Old 11-12-2003, 03:30 PM

Awaiting transfer to the Autry Drive plant...
Old 11-12-2003, 03:56 PM

You learn something every day. Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 09:33 PM

Car: Several
Engine: Several
Transmission: several
Bryan e-mailed me earlier today with some fascinating information. I replied with my phone number, which he asked for. I did not get a call today, so I'm going to wait a few days. At that time, I'll share the information Bryan e-mailed me with. Like I said, it's fascinating!!
I was searching for more info on 87 convertible's and came across this thread, Was wondering if any follow up was ever posted? If it was i missed it so please don't shoot me for bringing this post back from the dead file.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

I never found anything else out either???
Old 03-19-2004, 09:14 PM

Car: Several
Engine: Several
Transmission: several
ttt