Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

ATTN: ProBuilt and transfixleo ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
ATTN: ProBuilt and transfixleo ....

I have been planning my 700R4 rebuild for quite some time now. Believe it or not ... I am still on my stock 700R4. It has never been rebuilt and is running fine (even with 1.7 60ft times and 112mph trap speeds). However, I know that it is only a matter of time before it will 'let go' on me. I have already obtained another 700R4 core for rebuilding (1989 core from another IROC).

I have a huge list of mods/parts to make an ultimate 700 rebuild (I've been researching this and talking with trasmission guys for quite some time). However, there are some new hard parts on the market for the 700 that I can't really get an opinion on. The Transmission Center is marketing the following hard parts ...

1) 700R4 super heavy duty "The Beast" reaction shell. Redesigned sun gear shell for the 700R4 transmission by strengthening and reinforcing the neck collar spline area using thicker material. Known for loosing reverse, 2nd and 4th gears the 700R4 sun gear shell has a very high fatigue failure rate. This is the shell you want to install in a 700R4 that's behind a 300 plus horse power motor. This part holds in 2nd, 4th and reverse. Cost $56.00. Note - this is different and stronger than the late model unit!
2) 700R4 rear planet with 5 pinion gears. These two planet gears (19X and 19XX) are twenty years past due, this has always been a weak point on the 700R4 transmissions. These 5 pinion 2002 type GM gears are 25% stronger than the old type. Cost $105.00.
3) 700R4 front planet with 5 pinion gears (right side). Cost $66.00.

What to you guys think of these heavy duty parts? As a note - I plan on eventually pushing 10's and I want to TRY to keep the 700.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 12-14-2001, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
The Reaction shell (sun shell) that they are talking about is (I assume) is the latest out from GM, I use this in all me rebuilds. As for the 5 pinion gears versus 4 pinions, I gather thay are going to be stronger (by about 25%) but I have not seen a failure due to lack of strength. The problem has been lack of oil to the pinions, which now is even more critical as there are 5 instead of 4 pinions that need oil. There is an after market shell out there that is supposed to be very stronger than the late GM, but do not enough information on it yet except that it is very heavy in weight. I will have see if there is more information on this before I make the change.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to go along with Dana on this one. I think they are probably using the new aftermarket shell rather then the GM but I am not sure. I have not used this yet as I have had good results with the latest version from GM but I have sought input on this and am hearing good things so far. The late model GM planets (and even to a lesser degree the early ones) hold up just fine with the oil slinger type rear planet and proper lube/cooler flow. I don't see one on the rear planet pictured.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

I had Aceomatic/Recon fax me the information on this aftermarket sunshell. This sunshell is made by SPX FILTRAN and is nicknamed "The Beast", and they are stocking the item. I will wait & see the results (input) on this before changing from the late GM on my rebuilds.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Dana, transfixleo,

Thanks for the input. Dana is right - the aftermarket sunshell is called the beast. Its definitely on my list of definites for my tranny rebuild. I was very curious about the aftermarket planets because of the oiling issue. I know that the most recent rear GM planet with the oil slinger is the 'piece of choice' right now but I would invest in the new 5-pinion planets if they are worth it. In terms of strength I easily see these planets being stronger. However, as was mentioned, I don't see an oil slinger on the new rear planet which is a necessity. Is there any way that one could be added?

Again - I am just trying to put together parts for the best possible heavy duty rebuild. The tranny will sit behind a car that runs 11's NA and will eventually be behind a blown 10 second car. I am following along the lines of Tory Hess who ran 10.0's (I already bought his discharge tube and I am having a custom SC bracket fabricated that will eventually hold a YS trim Vortech). Tory was using a TH400. I want to *try* to stick with the 700 and I think this will only be possible if I take the time, do the research, learn, and rebuild it myself. I have two 700R4s that way I always have a spare one ready to bolt in.

... I still can't believe my current 700 has never been rebuilt. I think there is A LOT to say about keeping the fluid cool and fresh. I am running a Derale Deep tranny pan (with the cooling tubes), a B&M auxiliary tranny filter, and a B&M 24,000 GVW cooler. I also installed the Corvette Servo, the big intermediate reverse boost valves, and a B&M shift improver kit (puke, gasp, cough cough). I would have gone with a Transgo kit but I installed this kit a long time ago before these message boards were providing the help that they do today. Oh - and I also have a 3600 Precision Industries Vigilante

Tim
Old 12-19-2001, 08:22 AM

Tim, I'm excited to see what your beast is going to run. Your vehichle is a motivator for a lot of people on this board i know this (from personal experience) Keep up the awesome work and we'd like to see you bust into the 9.xx with the sc setup
Old 12-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

The pinions are hollow on the rear planet that use the slinger, so adding a slinger to a planet without the hollow pinions would not do anything. From my experience the planet without the slinger seems to do just as well if problem of getting the oil to the rear planet is addressed. You must use the Viton input to output shaft seal to accomplish this. I have a few high 10 second vehicles using the 700R4 with 4 pinion planets, and have never had a problem. With your trans staying alive as long as it has can mostly be attributed to the small diameter torque converter and larger diameter boost valves. The added cooler and the added filter do help, but the pan with the tubes will not help if it is chrome plated. The chrome holds in heat, which you do not want. If not chromed it could help some.
I Hope This Helps!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any update on this i think a new 700r4 will be needed soon.

Thanks Jerry
Old 04-08-2002, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

And also some more new parts at the transmission center.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dealer_price_list.htm

What do you think about them.

Jerry
Old 04-08-2002, 06:00 AM
Supreme Member

I have been looking into the HD parts that you talking about for awhile now. I am doing some evaluation on the parts to see if they can do what is claimed, or if they can even improve the unit, and if they can, to what percent? This takes time and I should know soon. Before I put anything on my website or would recommend it, I need to know certain things about the product, etc. Believe me, once I know it will work (or not work), you will be the first to know!
Old 04-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Don't know if you've heard anything else about the 5 pinion planets, but this may be of interest that I saw on the corvetteforum.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=282720
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=281702
Old 04-20-2002, 05:42 AM
Supreme Member

I am just wondering if it really is the 4L65E planets or an off shore planet. Here's a tip: when you see a new part that is real cheap suspect it is off shore and of suspect quality. 'Nuff said?
Old 04-21-2002, 12:12 AM
FJK

Here is a fact of life that everyone should consider. Always consider a factory part first, unless you have demonstrated it can not meet your requirements. The reason for this is that aftermarket parts never have the same level of engineering relative to testing, tolerance stack up, interchangeability. Additionally, the after-market (read small companies) have a hard time with manufacturing quality control, meaning higher than acceptable parts variation. When I choose to use an after-market part, my mind set is to treat it as one step up from iron ore until I'm convinced it will install correctly & hopefully function properly. Don't think I'm down on after-market, I'm just suspicious, & won't be surprised if I need to message it to make it work.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

That's massage.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 6.3L Victor EFI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"/4.11 Trac-Lok
Originally posted by FJK
Here is a fact of life that everyone should consider. Always consider a factory part first, unless you have demonstrated it can not meet your requirements. The reason for this is that aftermarket parts never have the same level of engineering relative to testing, tolerance stack up, interchangeability. Additionally, the after-market (read small companies) have a hard time with manufacturing quality control, meaning higher than acceptable parts variation. When I choose to use an after-market part, my mind set is to treat it as one step up from iron ore until I'm convinced it will install correctly & hopefully function properly. Don't think I'm down on after-market, I'm just suspicious, & won't be surprised if I need to message it to make it work.
Words to live by.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

One year old now any update on this.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:49 PM

Damn Dana, I can't wait to have your tranny helping pull my wheel stands. Money talks and bull**** walks, but you'll get my money soon enough.:rockon:
Old 12-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

I have not seen any failures with the 4-pinion planetaries, so I cannot justify the extra expense when I am having no problems in this area. The only part I would like to see improved for now is the overrun hub, as I have had a couple break in the last several years.