Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

92 Camaro crank no start, have fuel, have spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Camaro crank no start, have fuel, have spark

Hey guys,

I have a 1992 Camaro 305 tbi 5 spd manual. I'm in the military and I was driving from Virginia to North Carolina car started over heating. It was close to 6 mins or so before I could get to a safe spot. Band aided the over heating problem to get it home. Car ran fine the whole way. Parked it out back all the parts needed to be ordered. Car sat for exactly 1 week. Started it up just fine pulled it in the garage. Pulled the battery, changed the radiator cap, and the cooling fan motor. Put it all back together. Went to start the car and all it did was turn over.

I have gone through the everything I can think of. I have spark, I have fuel rotor button is on its mark. But all it does is turn over. Won't even act like it wants to catch.

I had the icm tested. It tested good. I have 0.9-1.2 volts ac at the pick up coil, 12 volts at the coil and the injectors, won't even run on starting fluid. Checked all the fuses to include the one by the battery. All is good. On paper this car should start.

WHAT AM I MISSING???
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: 92 Camaro crank no start, have fuel, have spark

Fuel Pressure?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 AM

I don't have a gauge but it's spraying from the injectors. But it won't even start with starting fluid
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Vortec TPI LT4 Hotcam
Transmission: TH700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Check your distributor. I just went through the same thing with my car. The pick up coil in the distributor ended up being bad. Check your tach when you try to start it. If it doesn't bounce at all then that's what's most likely wrong with it. The ecm needs a tach signal to know if the car is trying to start to enable the fuel enable relay in the ecm to pulse the injectors. Seemed like mine was getting fuel too but it actually wasn't. Also you say you have fuel but just so you know if you have this problem again, the ecm also needs to detect oil pressure to enable the fuel pump relay. You can now get a complete distributor cap, rotor, module and all from Autozone for about $110. I would start there. If the tach doesn't move away from its zeroed position, pull your cap and rotor and look and see if it looks like the pick up coil can make contact with the sides. If you pull it, you should feel it make contact and if it doesn't, its bad.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 AM

Too easy. I'll check that out asap thank you
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jacob9607
Too easy. I'll check that out asap thank you
Did you end up finding the solution? I'm having the problem on my 85 Firebird. Crank and no start, getting spark and fuel and checked all fuses too. Won't start with starting fluid either, new cap n rotor and plugs and wires.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

Received 666 Likes on 590 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Kinda a old post, what’s your fuel pressure at ?
have you checked for injector pulse ?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Those distributors are FAMOUS for failing in such a way that they still have "spark", but it's so weeeeeeeek, it won't ignite a cylinder.

Most often, by the time they get to that point, the whole entire thing is wore out, crumbling, falling to pieces, sloppy loose, and otherwise beyond repair. I'd recommend just getting a WHOLE distributor and slapping it in there. While I hate to recommend just busting out the parts cannon and shooting it at a car, sometimes (based on experience) that's the best way to handle certain things.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...off-while.html

Someone else in a somewhat similar situation...
Old 11-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
Kinda a old post, what’s your fuel pressure at ?
have you checked for injector pulse ?
Yea I know but this and this other forum on the other site is titled the same issue. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet, I have to rent the tool first and then see what's going on.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Those distributors are FAMOUS for failing in such a way that they still have "spark", but it's so weeeeeeeek, it won't ignite a cylinder.

Most often, by the time they get to that point, the whole entire thing is wore out, crumbling, falling to pieces, sloppy loose, and otherwise beyond repair. I'd recommend just getting a WHOLE distributor and slapping it in there. While I hate to recommend just busting out the parts cannon and shooting it at a car, sometimes (based on experience) that's the best way to handle certain things.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...off-while.html

Someone else in a somewhat similar situation...
Thanks for the reply, I might want to check the volts on the distributor to see if it's low maybe before throwing parts again.