Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Chevy High Performance Spread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 camaro
Engine: carby 350
Transmission: t-5 from v6 car
Chevy High Performance Spread

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was interested enough to ask.
Does anybody here own the 91 Z28 featured in the September issue of CHP?? I believe the owner's name was Jeff Blackburn. I also recently spotted a 91 RS in the July issue. Does anybody here belong to that car......Nick Pizzoferrato?

One day maybe my car will be featured in CHP..........
Old 11-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Jeff's sn is Kandied91z but I think he sold it to someone ...
Old 11-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Supreme Member

this issue perhaps.....?

never heard of the guy but the car sure looked clean. why do you ask?

Attached Thumbnails Chevy High Performance Spread-1-smaller.jpg  
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 AM
Supreme Member

the article was actually shot in september 03' i posted many pictures on the boards at the time but i couldn't tell anyone what it was for. a few others should be out soon...
Attached Thumbnails Chevy High Performance Spread-3-quarter-shot-doors  
Old 11-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11
Why?? Why did you sell your car?? She's a beaute man!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by tamatt27
Why?? Why did you sell your car?? She's a beaute man!!
Must been for the new project!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 PM

The reason I was interested is when I opened up my CHP, I just about cremed my shorts. Holy crap, what a nice car!!!! I love thirdgen's, but it takes one hell of a car to get a spot in CHP. When people make a remark about thirdgen's, I whip out my mag and say "Look at this car, it is totally bada ss." Anyways, I just wanted to give props to the owner, and I figured anybody with that much interest in a thirdgen would have to be a member at TGO. Let me just get this straight, b/c I am a little slow on the uptake. Kandied sold this magazine spread car to Crazy??????

Oh, to Kandied..:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
To Crazy....You are one lucky SOB.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

negative...I believe Kandied sold his Camaro, but I don't know to who. Crazy's is another badass Camaro! 2 of the best looking Camaros I've ever seen!!:hail: :hail:
Old 11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Originally posted by custom88camaro
The reason I was interested is when I opened up my CHP, I just about cremed my shorts. Holy crap, what a nice car!!!! I love thirdgen's, but it takes one hell of a car to get a spot in CHP. When people make a remark about thirdgen's, I whip out my mag and say "Look at this car, it is totally bada ss." Anyways, I just wanted to give props to the owner, and I figured anybody with that much interest in a thirdgen would have to be a member at TGO. Let me just get this straight, b/c I am a little slow on the uptake. Kandied sold this magazine spread car to Crazy??????

Oh, to Kandied..:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
To Crazy....You are one lucky SOB.
I don't think he sold it to crazy but he did sell it. Chances are his new project will blow the doors off of the old one.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ShiftyCapone
I don't think he sold it to crazy but he did sell it. Chances are his new project will blow the doors off of the old one.
That's a pretty tall order to do! Kandied's definatly the guy to do it though!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:54 PM

Jeff or Kandied-

I was trying to buy a back issue I would love to see more of your car in that mag.

Will your car be featured here anytime soon?
http://chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/index.html

I'm going to call them and try to get a back issue. Nice car too bad I missed that issue.

86 that !I just seen that the issue still might be on the shelves so I'm sure its not up on the web yet.

Last edited by shawn18jgr; 11-04-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
anyone can make a car like that, it just takes time and money LOL It sure was purrty
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 PM

exactly-and the desicion if you want to throw that kind of money at it. He for sure did it up right...

As much as I want to add everything I can to mine and make it the "dream camaro" I'm not sure I want to be in that deep on my Z28 and I bought mine for $3900.00. I just do not see myself getting already what I into it back. Yet, thats a whole nother topic I plan on lkeeping the car until I'm old, old (not for investment but because I love this year Z28) so you never know. .

That would be hard to sell a car after you had so much time and effort involved. Unless you really didn't like it I guess. I can't wait to see his next project...

Last edited by shawn18jgr; 11-05-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
mine wont be so nice as expensive paint and appearance goes. I want to drive my car and thats why i bought it. Power and handling are my concerns! if it was as nice as kandiedz's car, i wouldnt drive it real hard or that often. Keep it show quality like it was.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 firebird now
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
Jeff's sn is Kandied91z but I think he sold it to someone ...
Hey what rims are those you have on there?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Supreme Member

I got Boyd "Tuned" wheels, thanks for the compliments guys. To answer the question, Jeff did not sell the car to me. I already got too many cars anyway (and 1/2 of em are broken LOL).

Hey guys, you dont need a lot of money to build a nice car. If you know the right people and do as much work as you can yourself, you can save alot of money. Sure you will still spend some money for quality parts/paint, but not as much as you might think. It really helps to know people in the business (paint/body, engine building, etc).
Old 11-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I got Boyd "Tuned" wheels, thanks for the compliments guys. To answer the question, Jeff did not sell the car to me. I already got too many cars anyway (and 1/2 of em are broken LOL).

Hey guys, you dont need a lot of money to build a nice car. If you know the right people and do as much work as you can yourself, you can save alot of money. Sure you will still spend some money for quality parts/paint, but not as much as you might think. It really helps to know people in the business (paint/body, engine building, etc).

yep i love it when people think i spent a fortune... i get a great kick out of it. everyone tells me man you spent a fortune i could have done the same and it makes me happy because i didn't. the paint was the most expensive part and there was no getting around it. as far as building a car just like it, i say try it.... to get into magazines is extremely hard as you have to match things perfectly appearance wise that will get the attention of people that see thousands of cars just like yours every week. making something stand out but still tasteful is a very difficult task as well as staying on top of the current trends and still being functional. there are very few cars you see that are up to these standards and you see them on various sites like these. these cars have owners who are into the scene keeping up with what they like but pulling off clean classic vehicles. crazy, myself, fatal88, etc. if you've been on the site long enough you'll know these guys by their sn without even thinking. that's the type of car the bigwigs are looking for and the type of car the majority of the public will pick up a magazine and read. sure everyone of them has money into them but they are all different in range, style and taste yet still compliment each other well and show the diversity of the vehicle.

my car was anything but easy to build as many know through the various changes it went through to get where it was right. while it was a very beautiful and fun car to own i sold it because my plans called for drastically changing a few aspects, why tear down a good car?

so in short yes money can pretty much buy everything you need to build a magazine car but it won't get you in a magazine. you need to pick the right parts and if you research and want things enough you'll find that it's relatively easy to build something that nice without breaking the bank. thanks everyone for the kind words, it was a lot of work to get the car where it was but it really paid off.....

Last edited by Kandied91z; 11-05-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

wow...i must live under a rock..i didnt know you sold you car!

anyway, whats sorta stuff are you planning next?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff, you sold it to someone at Chevy, right? Is he going to become a member here? Would be great to keep tabs on that perfect machine.

I'm sure you don't want to tell, seeing as you haven't said anything yet, but I have to ask. How much did you put into it and how much did you get for it?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:45 PM

l

Last edited by shawn18jgr; 11-05-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Kandied91z

yep i love it when people think i spent a fortune... i get a great kick out of it. everyone tells me man you spent a fortune i could have done the same and it makes me happy because i didn't.
Mag article says you: "bought this L98....for $8,500.....spent the following 4 yrs and ANOTHER 20 LARGE".

Call me crazy, but that sounds like a helluva lot of dough to me. I probably have about "3 large" into mine........THE WHOLE CAR.

Still a nice car, but by no means an inexpensive build.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

well i bought my car almost 7 years ago, i paid $9k for it when i bought it. had i done what i'm doing know i could easily have saved $10,000 on unnecessary expenses like i have. the new car will be much more efficient and alot less since i have been there before.

the last car apraised for the price of a new c5.... did i put that into it. no. how much did i put into it is my own discression. the motor alone was the price of a new focus. things definately aren't cheap as most of you know. also as just a little side note anyone and i do mean anyone in the world who believes every little thing you read in any publication at any given time has to come down to reality as some things are always a bit far fetched.

now if you had to price out all the little options here and there to get the base car to where it was you could easily drop $20,000 without blinking for the larger pieces and another $10k on the little extras most will never see or know about. add to that replacement value when insurance is concerned which calculates the compensation for installation/custom fabrication which is another easy $10k it is very easy to understand where the higher pricetags come and a very grateful reason to own collector insurance. take all the money you've spent on the vehicle for it's present condition and cut roughly 20-25 percent off the price and that's what your apraisal will round out around.

When you go to sell it consider half of what your apraisal was in most cases. in my case it was slightly less because we swapped some things but in either way it worked out well for both of us.

as far as the car, yes someone at gm bought it and no i don't think you'll see it on here again mainstream which will make some happy i'm sure. i'll get updates when i can but that car is pretty much gone... as for the new one i was shooting for a target date of early march but we'll see.

Last edited by Kandied91z; 11-06-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Wow I didnt know you spent that much. I think I have about $10,000 into my 91Z inc the cost of the car. My money pit is drifting. It costs alot to upkeep and maintain drift cars since parts break so often. Not to mention the extra chassis laying around incase I total one. With my work schedule I have a hard time finding time to keep everything in running order hahaha.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Think I'd better dig out my old CHPs and reread this one. Beautiful car.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:11 PM

Kandied-Did you make that guy sign an addendum saying he would not f-up your car and do crazy stuff to it: )

I know sometimes when you sell stuff people sometimes ruin a good thing.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Supreme Member

no, i don't think that was the persons intentions. it's in a very good place now.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:35 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Kandied, a better place for it would be my garage ......... ................. .................. ..................... .........
Old 11-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Old 11-07-2004, 03:35 PM

i am looking forward to your next project. Still interested in a ragtop? Guess that's why you sould it, hehe. Nothing beats the look of a clean 'vert, though we all know they are the most painful way to own a thirdgen camaro.......
Old 11-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Supreme Member

i dont know, you think it would have looked right as a vert?

Attached Thumbnails Chevy High Performance Spread-kandvert.jpg  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Banned

arent you even a lil intimidated that you have alot to live up to??
Old 11-08-2004, 02:22 PM

kandied:

To be honest, no. I don't like the vert's with the 91/92 gfx, and i don't like ss hoods and any other adtermarket hood on the convertibles. But that is just my opinion.
It would be nice to see how someone builds the ultimate killer ragtop. There are very few extraordinary nice ones ones in here, if you ask me. Remember, this is the appereance and detailing forum, i know that i have a slow car with crappy brakes and cut lowering springs, but when it comes to looks, i think i am still in the top three, hehe.
Attached Thumbnails Chevy High Performance Spread-forumnew1.jpg  
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 PM

Car: 1999 Firebird Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: Stalled 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by Graboid
kandied:

To be honest, no. I don't like the vert's with the 91/92 gfx, and i don't like ss hoods and any other adtermarket hood on the convertibles. But that is just my opinion.
It would be nice to see how someone builds the ultimate killer ragtop. There are very few extraordinary nice ones ones in here, if you ask me. Remember, this is the appereance and detailing forum, i know that i have a slow car with crappy brakes and cut lowering springs, but when it comes to looks, i think i am still in the top three, hehe.
I don't know anything about top 3 but it is a very clean car with nice lines overall and a vert to boot
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 PM

Car: 1999 Firebird Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: Stalled 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
kandied:

I don't know anything about top 3 but it is a very clean car with nice lines overall and a vert to boot
Old 11-18-2004, 11:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Originally posted by Kandied91z
i dont know, you think it would have looked right as a vert?

I don't like that hood on verts... looks way too tall, but otherwise, THATS HOTTT!!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:53 AM

Car: 1986 IROC
Engine: 305ci DEAD FINALLY! 350 almost ready to go in!
Transmission: 700R4/Coming out TH-350 going in!
kandied's 91z....

is the reason i bought a third gen. i "was" a 4th gen owner b4 i got married and had kids. i was heart broken when i saw the new owner smoke the tires as he drove away. i was left standing there in a parking lot with a fistful of dollars looking at the POS ford fiestiva i was going to have to drive for the next year. anyway.........

i got back on my feet with a little $$ and was shopping for a new 4th gen when i picked up the copy of CHP with jeff's car in it. the next day i was on a 3rd gen search and after a few months of looking i got my all original 86 iroc! it's funny cause my father who is a retired GM/Fisher Body engineer and instructor had the same car when i was a kid.
i feel back in love with the 3rd gen's cause of mean *** kandied Z! i hope one day my car will be 1/2 as good as his. i'm working on it!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
kandied:

Got that right.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Re: kandied's 91z....

Originally posted by 86iroclamarque
is the reason i bought a third gen. i "was" a 4th gen owner b4 i got married and had kids. i was heart broken when i saw the new owner smoke the tires as he drove away. i was left standing there in a parking lot with a fistful of dollars looking at the POS ford fiestiva i was going to have to drive for the next year. anyway.........

i got back on my feet with a little $$ and was shopping for a new 4th gen when i picked up the copy of CHP with jeff's car in it. the next day i was on a 3rd gen search and after a few months of looking i got my all original 86 iroc! it's funny cause my father who is a retired GM/Fisher Body engineer and instructor had the same car when i was a kid.
i feel back in love with the 3rd gen's cause of mean *** kandied Z! i hope one day my car will be 1/2 as good as his. i'm working on it!

that's an awesome story, thank you!

Old 11-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: 700 R4
well when my vert gets torn down next year to get redone, I would love to have my car look similar to Kandied's car, I'd like to keep the z hood but i may not be able to if I can't fit what I want under the z hood!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 Stage II
Axle/Gears: 3.23 For Now
How does someone happen to get in a magazine?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:47 PM

You don't you just bust your *** to build a nice car and hope the wind is blowing the right way and you have to hold your mouth like th....
Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

lol...

for starters you have to start getting noticed by people they pay attention too. i started out by winning shows like camaro superfest and superchevy. being in IN you have a great opportunity to attend shows like superchevy, goodguys, nopi, etc.

attend them and win, even if you don't win if your car raises enough attention you'll be in good shape. i attended a show in 01 that was pretty much lowrider and import infested. although i didn't win anything i had a steady crowd of people all day long circling my car from 10 am to 9pm.. this caught the attention of a few people higher up and helped me with several of my starting sponsors.

there are several things that are important as well for magazine cars and color is one of them. the only downside at all i see with your car is that it's black........ very few people will touch a black car as they don't photograph well in magazines. however that doesn't mean that it can't happen, just slims your chances. either way it's still very possible though.

another good way, especially for younger guys is to send in nice, clear, digital photographs that are well taken to several of the editors of said magazine your interested in. having a nice car isn't enough as you have to sell your car and you'll need something that hasn't been done before or if it has at least a different take on it because the first question you'll be asked if they even respond is "what's so great about your car?" "why would anyone want to read about your car?" etc....

unlike what most people believe however if you haven't been in any magazine that ups your chances. the more exposure you get on a car the less people want to see it as most of you know here.

if you are trying to build your car to such a status or think your car is at that status ask yourself this one question "would i buy a magazine with this car on the cover?" if you would then take it to some of these shows. if you do good chances are others will want to see the car and the editors will take notice.

if anyone has any specific questions just ask, i'd be happy to help going through all of this the last few years i can tell you that it isn't always easy but it isn't as hard as many think. you don't always have to be in the right spot at the right time, at the same time though you have to be serious/realistic about your ride. working for several publications myself i've seen some nice rides in pictures and they were terrible in person which is why winning shows are important. it lets the editors know that you truly have something worth taking notice.

Last edited by Kandied91z; 11-22-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 Stage II
Axle/Gears: 3.23 For Now
for me anyways...I've been too some local shows...and I've won best car. I've had a group of about 25 people around it...and I can barely even clean it. I guess I just need to get to bigger shows like you said..just wish I had a trailor
Old 11-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

trailer only complicates things, definately need to go bigger though with your shows if that's what your aiming for. you need to compete against others like your own.

this guy would be a good candidate for you as he's doing the same and has been walking away with trophies in your area. i've helped him out with a few things and we hope to get together this season... you should try to attend a few more yourself. i'm sure a grouping of these cars would attract more then it's share.
Attached Thumbnails Chevy High Performance Spread-dsc01585.gif