Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Washes, Waxes, Polishes, compounds, What do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Washes, Waxes, Polishes, compounds, What do you like?

Hi All
As the thread states, I want to know what you guys use and why you like it. We have had some discussions on this in unrelated threads so I thought is was time for a thread of its own. We have a lot of guys that make their living doing this and always value their opinions.
I will start, I use mostly Me quires products. I feel they work great and the waxes and compounds really apply and remove easily. I use the "Ultimate" line of their products for the waxes and detail sprays and the "professional" line for the compounds and polish. I love the shine the "Ultimate Wax" leaves behind, some of the best I have seen. I have done a mild paint correction, used a harbor freight orbital polisher. 3 step process and the products listed above and wow the car will literally blind you.

Now I have a question for you detail gurus...I garage keep my car with no cover, I drive the car every weekend at least, I wipe it down every other time I us it. How much should I wash it? I have heard conflicting stories about how much it should get wet with a wash down.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Washes, Waxes, Polishes, compounds, What do you like?

Also your guys opinion on how often to wax. I only wax once a year. I wipe the car down with a Mequires Ultimate Quick Detailer(you guys should try this stuff it looks like a fresh wax when done)and just dry microfiber afterwards. Is this a good practice?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Transmission: MD8

I've been experimenting with Meguires a lot lately (not on the Formula tho) Using their DA Microfiber correction system and Mirror Glaze Speed compound for foam pads. Using Griot Garage DA's 6" and 3". Basically teaching myself paint correction on some donar vehicles - daughters and wifes Its pretty good, but doesn't really get the deeper scratches - at least not for a novice. Got side tracked recently with business, so haven't had a good test with the speed compound. Overall I'm satisfied what it can do for what it is. They seems to have very good products for the money. Their all purpose cleaner and wheel brighter D14001 rock too. You'll probably learn more by going over to autogeek than you will here. bunch of gear heads floating around here!
Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Transmission: MD8

BTW - how often you wax depends on what you use, and the elements your car is exposed
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I've tried a BUNCH of stuff!! But I really like the Black Fire Products and their DA Polisher and pads. Griots and Meguires products I use also.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 358 cu in
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Yukon posi 3.73

This stuff is supposed to be top of the line. The guy who created the company also has videos on proper way to detail a car. A lot of high end car guys like his products. Anyway, here's the link. https://www.ammonyc.com/shop-ammo/
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA

I've tried a BUNCH of stuff!! But I really like the Black Fire Products and their DA Polisher and pads. Griots and Meguires products I use also.
Wow! Quite the collection you got there Bob. I have heard Griots stuff is pretty good.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

Sprayway glass cleaner is great, really like Meguires Canuba paste wax too.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by irvan
Sprayway glass cleaner is great, really like Meguires Canuba paste wax too.
That's hilarious. I was just going to post asking Bob how he liked it. I have it, and hate it. Smears, can't work it to be actually clear. I have far better luck with GM glass cleaner.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA

I don't see a clay bar, but I do see a tape measure.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

For glass cleaner I like Invisible Glass for the interior (won’t streak) and I use Rain X for the exterior because it makes the glass slick and bird crap and bugs won’t stick as much. Rain X on the inside will streak bad so don’t do that!

For wax I really find Meguiars lasts longer and is easy to use.

Quickie Job on a daily driver: Meguiars Professional Cleaner Wax

Long lasting wax: Meguiars Professional Polymer Sealant

Long Lasting plus shine: Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic Polymer Wax

Deepest Shine: Carnuba waxes and blends. Lots of good brands out there.

For paint correction I’m really familiar with the Meguiars line..

M105, M205, Swirl Remover, Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish is nice.

I haven’t tried the microfiber system yet, but some people say it gets better results.

I like the Meguiars and Lake Country pads

The 3M scratch removal system works well, but it’s really just Trizact 3000 grit paper which can take the clear down and then you can compound and polish the haze and watch the scratch disappear.

3M makes good products as well.

For Vert guys I like 303 Top cleaner with a soft brush. Very soft, but will remove stains, dust and dirt in the fabric gently. I barely ever clean the top. I sometimes will vacuum with a brush attachment.

My car never gets wet so it gets dusted and Quik Detailed with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and microfibers. Any time the car comes back from a drive it gets dusted and detailed before going back. When it comes out it gets dusted. I use a California duster (one for just the IROC.. not used on other cars). The Ultimate Quik Detailer uses synthetic polymer and will extend wax life and water beading. If you use it in extreme humidity or on hot paint it will streak..

I avoid washing because even really good wash technique causes micro scratches and swirls.

If the car gets wet, wash it. If it’s just dusty, dust it off and quick detail it. If you let it sit too long and gets a thick layer of dust you might want to wash it, but I’d think about getting a dust cover if it will sit a while.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:01 AM
Supreme Member

I forgot about the 303 for the top. I use that too and it works great. I use the waterproofing 303 protectant and the water beads off the top like the rest of the car.
I want to dry the glass cleaner for the inside window. Can I get that at any auto parts store? I have a microfiber rag that I bought and it is made specifically for inside window. Not sure the brand but you use it dry. It does actually work and does not streak, (well it's dry) but man does it take some elbow grease to get the inside clean. I keep it in the console for quick cleans out on the road.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 AM
Supreme Member

The Ultimate Quik Detailer uses synthetic polymer and will extend wax life and water beading. If you use it in extreme humidity or on hot paint it will streak..

Thank you Joe! I just wiped the car this past weekend after a rain, when the car was dry and in the garage, and now I know why it came out looking like poop!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Accomplished this using with a claybar followed by Meguiars Ultimate compound and polish. Finished it off with 2x coats of Chemical Guys Pete's 53. I used Chemical guys foam pads and did it all by hand.

I have used Meguiars Ultimate paste wax and liked it but the Pete's 53 is some serious stuff.

After washing and drying I'll quickly hit the car with spray Ultimate detailer.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vinny R
I forgot about the 303 for the top. I use that too and it works great. I use the waterproofing 303 protectant and the water beads off the top like the rest of the car.
I want to dry the glass cleaner for the inside window. Can I get that at any auto parts store? I have a microfiber rag that I bought and it is made specifically for inside window. Not sure the brand but you use it dry. It does actually work and does not streak, (well it's dry) but man does it take some elbow grease to get the inside clean. I keep it in the console for quick cleans out on the road.
Invisible Glass is sold at Autozone, Walmart, Home Depot has it too I think.. It’s good for all Glass even in the House. I use paper towels for the interior glass. We always used newspaper back in the day.. My boss in my first detailing job was a stickler for Windows and insisted we use newspaper.

I keep a microfiber in the console for dusting though.. it’ll grab dust out of every crevice and off every surface.

I use a microfiber on the exterior windows after I clean them because it will take the streaks out of the Rain X..

A friend of mine with a 2018 Camaro uses Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax and it looks awesome. I’ll look into Pete’s 53.

I use Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Polymer blend for Black Paint on my Tahoe and it looks really deep and shiny after, but it does leave some streaks that I have to buff out with spray and microfibers. I hear that the Chemical guys waxes don’t leave any streaks.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I also like Meguiar's for most of my products. Ultimate compound and polish for any necessary paint correction. NXT Techwax 2.0 as a "base" synthetic sealer, and then gold class carnuba over top. ...then Meg's Hyperdressing for LOTS of other stuff.

As for tires, I never understood gloss. CLEARLY I'm in the minority, lol. ....but for what it's worth, that hyperdressing, very diluted, works great! Tires look brand new, but only a satin finish...not a gloss.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
I've been experimenting with Meguires a lot lately (not on the Formula tho) Using their DA Microfiber correction system and Mirror Glaze Speed compound for foam pads. Using Griot Garage DA's 6" and 3". Basically teaching myself paint correction on some donar vehicles - daughters and wifes Its pretty good, but doesn't really get the deeper scratches - at least not for a novice. Got side tracked recently with business, so haven't had a good test with the speed compound. Overall I'm satisfied what it can do for what it is. They seems to have very good products for the money. Their all purpose cleaner and wheel brighter D14001 rock too. You'll probably learn more by going over to autogeek than you will here. bunch of gear heads floating around here!
I did basically the same, my clear on my Silverado started to pop, so it became the test vehicle. I got some advice and some 3m trizac pads and did some tests on my truck! why not. Once I got to where I felt comfortable I attacked the Z. I used the chemical guys foam pads for the buffing. Came out really nice. Probably could have went a little more and got some more "peel" out but me being a novice I was afraid I got to far and go through the clear. My truck surprisingly did not have much of a "peel" to it.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

As for tires, I never understood gloss. CLEARLY I'm in the minority, lol. ....but for what it's worth, that hyperdressing, very diluted, works great! Tires look brand new, but only a satin finish...not a gloss.

Great tip Chris! I HATE tire shine, I think it looks dumb and slings allover the place, refuse to use it. I will try your tip next time. I usually just clean the sidewalls with a mild Oxy degreaser, with a nylon brush ( I use a ZEP product ) and then just wipe them with Mothers VLR...About the only non Me quires product I use. VLR leaves a satin/matte finish so they really look natural.

I will look into some of the other waxes recommended here.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Great tip Chris! I HATE tire shine, I think it looks dumb and slings allover the place, refuse to use it. I will try your tip next time. I usually just clean the sidewalls with a mild Oxy degreaser, with a nylon brush ( I use a ZEP product ) and then just wipe them with Mothers VLR...About the only non Me quires product I use. VLR leaves a satin/matte finish so they really look natural.

I will look into some of the other waxes recommended here.
I agree with tires being too shiny..

I use Simple Green and a brush on the tires to clean them and then just the Armor All tire foam. I like the foam because it’s easy to control and it cleans the tire as well. I let it sit at least 15 minutes and do have to wipe some drips off the rim. I usually Quik Detail the rims after using dressing.

I do find that I like when the dressing gets dull after a day or so.. I’ll try the hyperdressing trick..

I sometimes use extreme tire dressing on my Tahoe and it’s pretty crazy when you can see your reflection in the tire.. It’s a little much with the chrome wheels, but sometimes I like to get a little excessive with the mirror black paint and chrome.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM

The nice thing about the hyperdressing is that it comes in concentrate form, so you can mix it however you like. ....and it goes on very....watery....meaning it's not soupy...goes on thin, sooooo, you can really wipe off a lot with a rag. That, and the fact that you can mix it can really help achieve the desired look. Found out about it on the Autogeek forums. I use it for MANY differents things now, and have a few different bottles mixed with different concentrates. Some I spray direct...some I spray a rag and wipe on.....just gotta figure out what you like. It's good stuff. ....the ONLY negative is that I don't feel it lasts too long, but again, that's part of why I really like it. Leaves rubber and plastic looking clean, with a deep black, but not glossy. Produces absolutely STUNNING engine bays on my old Trailblazer and my current GMC Sierra, with all the black trim and plastic covers, hoses, etc. etc. ....The Camaro doesn't have much black plastic so it doesn't really work as well for detailing in that case.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

This Is What I Use.

Wash: Zymol Auto Wash
Wax: One Grand Blitz Wax Carnauba Paste Wax
Glass: Stoner Invisible Glass
Tires: Stoner More Shine
Protectant: STP Son Of A Gun
Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by George Klass

Accomplished this using with a claybar followed by Meguiars Ultimate compound and polish. Finished it off with 2x coats of Chemical Guys Pete's 53. I used Chemical guys foam pads and did it all by hand.

I have used Meguiars Ultimate paste wax and liked it but the Pete's 53 is some serious stuff.

After washing and drying I'll quickly hit the car with spray Ultimate detailer.
Nice transformation George! I really like your choice of photos...from barn find to showroom!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

I use to detail a lot. If you're looking quality stuff. Get yourself a Porter Cable and Menzerna compounds. I've had great luck with those. Personally for a car that isn't a daily, I prefer beauty waxes instead of sealants. I use Pinnacle Souverän paste wax. On and off like butter. Deep wet look. For a daily, the longest lasting wax I've used is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. You can get it at advanced auto. A little goes a long way.

I wipe the car down with a Mequires Ultimate Quick Detailer(you guys should try this stuff it looks like a fresh wax when done)and just dry microfiber afterwards. Is this a good practice?
Great stuff. Leaves a nice coating on the paint that will repel water. I use it a lot. I just wouldn't use it if the car is filthy. You'd be better of washing it then.

Last edited by IROCThe5.7L; 10-05-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCThe5.7L

Great stuff. Leaves a nice coating on the paint that will repel water. I use it a lot. I just wouldn't use it if the car is filthy. You'd be better of washing it then.
Yep..
I only use Ultimate Detailer in shade on cool paint and only if the car hasn’t been in the rain. If a car gets rained on even if not driven, it now has spots from dried dust that won’t just dust off.. have to wash..

I usually use a duster to take the dust off first because you don’t want to rub dust into the paint. After dusting I Quik Detail and it gives you the “just waxed” glow and repels water. You don’t want to rub any particles into paint ever, basically..

Great for cleaning bugs and finger prints.. I use extra spray for bugs to make sure the paint is lubricated and won’t scratch.. I never let bugs sit on the paint and bake in..that way they come off easy..

If the Ultimate Detailer is leaving streaks due to humidity, I’ll use the regular Quik Detailer..

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 10-05-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I use Maguiers synthetic wax and the detail spray after long drives to shows. Maguire is all around good stuff. I also like rain x for the glass. Eagle One detail spray is decent between washes too.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dmccain
I use Maguiers synthetic wax and the detail spray after long drives to shows. Maguire is all around good stuff. I also like rain x for the glass. Eagle One detail spray is decent between washes too.
I use RainX on the glass also. I use the Cleaner RainX so it says it cleans and leaves the film all in one. I use it on the insides also, it works great and I figure the RainX coating on the inside can.t hurt. I just don't use it on the windshield. Tried it once and I think it took me an hr to clean the damn streaks!

How's the back doing dmccain...did you have your surgery?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Hip surgery. It sucks. I had it Sept 18. Will be in crutches at least a month before starting therapy. Hope to go back to work mid Nov. It's killing me just sitting here. It's sore as hell too.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

My opinion:

Wheel/Tire Cleaners: I think just about any Aluminum safe wheel and tire cleaner is good. What's really doing the work are you with your brushes, hence I do not believe in a spray on and spray off wheel/tire cleaner. The foaming varieties are better because they cling to the wheel instead of just dripping off. I stay far, far away from any cleaners that contain an acid because my wheels are usually bare polished aluminum.

Tire Dressings: If I'm going to a show I'll clean the wheels at home and drive them to the show without any dressing on them. Once I'm at the show I'll use a gel dressing (or is it more of a 50W?) because they last longer and have more shine to them. Meguiars Hot Shine is good. The more viscous they are the more shine they have and the the longer they'll last before they are absorbed. You really have to be carefull about how much remains on the wheel or you will get that horrible tire sling effect once the wheel starts turning at driving speeds. I'll only use a gel dressing at a show because they always seem to brown up the fastest- that stuff catches all the brake dust and road dust while driving. If I'm just driving the car I stick with an aerosol tire dressing and I love Eagle One aerosol tire wet because it's fairly thin, dries relatively quick and doesn't sling. Unfortunately it was discontinued and I only have a half dozen cans left... If the car is going to be sitting a while or for my daily drivers I fell in love with Meguiars Hyper Dressing several years ago. It's water based and you can dilute it up to 4:1 so you can control how glossy you want the tires but there is no real comparison to a gel.

Glass: I like Sprayway glass cleaner the best. It foams up better than other brands and I've found that the foam does a better job because it doesn't evaporate as quickly and so is less likely to streak. Other than that I don't think there is much to glass cleaner so any cleaner works "fine" in my book. I think as long as you use a microfiber cloth, do the initial wiping with one side then flip it over and wipe all haze off with the clean side you'll never leave streaks. However all glass cleaners are only for dust, smudges and bugs. Every six months or so I'll go over my windows with a razor or clay bar to remove baked on gunk. We have really hard water out here too so I also have to polish my windows. I don't like Stoners brand.

Detailing Spray: Hands down Turtle Wax Ice Detailing spray. The trigger and bottle is comfortable to hold so you don't get those uncomfortable imprints on your fingers when spraying down a whole car.. The spray pattern is wide and distributed so you aren't wasting by overspraying. You can use it in direct sunlight and on glass and trim. Lucas Slick Mist would be my next choice for a detailing spray.

Spray Wax: I like Wizards brand Mystic Spray Wax or I'll put their Polish and breathable sealant in a spray bottle and that can be used as a spray wax. I also love Wizards because most of their products are safe for recently painted surfaces. Goes on and off easy. I think Wizards is one of the only companies whose spray wax differs from their detailing spray.

Liquid Wax: I only use liquid wax if it's with Dual Action buffer. I like the turtle wax Super Hard Shell (It is a synthetic) with a cleaner pad or a cleaner wax Turtle Wax Carnuaba Cleaner Wax with a wax pad on the buffer. Both provide a small buffing action so you get two birds with one stone.

Paste Wax: Mequiar's Ultimate Paste Wax because it doesn't take elbow grease to remove it once it's hazed over. It comes off without fuss. If you don't mind a ton of hard rubbing to remove your paste wax then Turtle Wax Ice for the win. You can get the ice on the trim or satin surfaces and it's not an issue and you can use it in direct sunlight also.

Compounds: For an Aggressive compound I like Meguiar's 105 followed very closely by Wizard's Turbo Cut. Meguiar's is slightly more aggressive. But if cost isn't an issue I think 3M Super duty rubbing compound is wonderful but not good enough for me to justify spending an extra $30-40, maybe for black paint on a show car I would say it's worth it but then why not just go to town with some 3000 grit on a DA instead? For a polish compound I like Wizards Finish Cut followed by Meguiars 205. Finish cut has a better finish than 205. For a glaze or a light machine polish I like Wizard's Mystic Cut. Very little grit and is comparable to the Meguiar's Ultimate compound/polish while being about half the price.

Untreated Metal polish: If you don't mind ordering online than bling master metal polish has been the best that I've found. Blue Magic Metal polish if you want to stick with locally available. Both of these products use no grit and still remove oxidation. Lots of other metal polishes I've tried leave a haze on freshly finished aluminum and stainless. Turtle wax chrome polish would be my third.

Interior Cleaner: Rug Doctor portable Spot and Upholstery Cleaner. I've putzed around too long with too many aerosols, diluted cleaners and spray bottles and brushes. Once you try one of these you will immediately scream out "How have I lived without this." The unit costs $100-125 and you can use it on couches, cushions, carpets for spot stains, your wife will love it too, I guarantee it! Five years ago we were in an apartment while we house hunted and this contraption saved us our security deposit by cleaning up a glass of spilled dark red wine on off-white carpet. My wife and I now give them as gifts for baby showers. But if I couldn't use it then Barbarsol or diluted Super Clean are my picks.

Interior Protectant: Megauiar's Hyper Dressing for leather/vinyl or plastic pieces. But if it's at a show or just to clean the inside of a daily driver then turtle wax ice cleaner and protectant because you can get it on glass without leaving streaks and it won't leave white-ish spots in creases or trim gaps.

In my neck of the woods, the Mojave Desert, the sun can get intense enough to easily remove carnuaba waxes so I usually stay away from them and use synthetics. However, any black or dark car sitting in the summer sun for a just an hour can see surface temps of over 120° easy (I've measured one of my car's black hood at 180°) so if you have a dark finish I would stick to synthetics.

I think lots of these newer companies that are charging $30+ for a bottle of whatever are more or less using the same formula of a major brand albeit slightly altered. You don't really think these smaller companies all came up with their own formulas and are making and bottling it? Nope! They are all buying from the same Chemical blending companies. I'll stick with the lower cost readily available products. If your clear coat is in good shape and the paint isn't UV faded any wax will look good on your car. If you're looking for that really deep, dripping wet look on a factory painted base coat/clear coat finish then pass on the menzerna, Pinacle and expensive Zymol and spend that $200 on a gallon of DuPont, PPG or House of Kolor clear. The results will be far better, longer lasting and have many more benefits. No wax used in this picture.

Last edited by Tibo; 12-30-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:28 PM

I think lots of these newer companies that are charging $30+ for a bottle of whatever are more or less using the same formula of a major brand albeit slightly altered. You don't really think these smaller companies all came up with their own formulas and are making and bottling it? Nope! They are all buying from the same Chemical blending companies. I'll stick with the lower cost readily available products. If your clear coat is in good shape and the paint isn't UV faded any wax will look good on your car. If you're looking for that really deep, dripping wet look on a factory painted base coat/clear coat finish then pass on the menzerna, Pinacle and expensive Zymol and spend that $200 on a gallon of DuPont, PPG or House of Kolor clear. The results will be far better, longer lasting and have many more benefits. No wax used in this picture.
I have always agreed with this. Good paint and clear is 95% of the battle. The wax is just the icing. The best wax is pretty good. The worst isn't too bad either.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

I'm with you guys there. I used a decent paint but even better clearcoat, 6 coats. Just about makes the paint glow. PPG.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Yup.. no such thing as bad wax.. Some last longer and some have more shine.. but they all do their job..

polishes do vary I find..
Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm with you guys there. I used a decent paint but even better clearcoat, 6 coats. Just about makes the paint glow. PPG.
I've got PPG on mine too. It looked flawless after the buff and cut. The polish and wax is always an enjoyable process but the clear is the money maker, not the wax. .....I still love waxing though!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Nice transformation George! I really like your choice of photos...from barn find to showroom!

Thanks Vinny. I work at a dealer, usually once they close up the shop I bring her in haha. Maybe one day I'll put her in the showroom for some pics lol.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ

polishes do vary I find..

I agree. I can tell the difference between certain waxes I've put on my car. Can other people tell when the cars out? Probably not. But if you're going to spend decent money on anything. It should be the polishes/swirl removers.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I've been reading a lot about vinyl/rubber/plastic protectants/dressings lately and came across these two threads and wanted to share them:
1. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum..._Protectant_-_
2. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...armor-all.html

They make some pretty good arguments that many of today's products for vinyl, plastic and rubber are essentially the same formula (water and silicone in an emulsion) albeit with different proportions.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
I've been reading a lot about vinyl/rubber/plastic protectants/dressings lately and came across these two threads and wanted to share them:
1. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum..._Protectant_-_
2. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...armor-all.html

They make some pretty good arguments that many of today's products for vinyl, plastic and rubber are essentially the same formula (water and silicone in an emulsion) albeit with different proportions.
That is some great info Tibo. That qwertyguy really knows his stuff. I never liked Armour All because of the greasey film it always left, and now I know why. Now reading this and that they reformulated I may just give it a try. Water it down like they said. I don't like the hi shine Armour All leaves but if it as simple as adding water...I will give it a go. I use Mothers VLR for my protectant but mainly because it leaves a matte finish. If I can get the same finish and protection and save a few bucks, That is a win-win.